TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

New 2018 Marriott/SPG credit cards - Deadlines AMEX 8/25/18 and VISA 12/31/18

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by mav, Apr 17, 2018.

1. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

My anniversary on the old card was in late May and the Cat 1-5 (25K) free night showed up in early June. I took up the offer to upgrade the card to get a bonus of 20K 3 weeks ago after I got all my needed nights credited for every $3K spending to get to 500+ nights by end of the year. The free night for the new card is only given on the anniversary date, which in my case will be in July 2019. I am wondering if I will be billed membership fee for the new card and given a credit for the 11 months remaining on the obsolete old card. I have not seen that yet.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  2. SMB1

SMB1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
    The way I understand it is if you upgrade your anniversary date won't change, only the date your new card expires will change. I got my free night certificate on my original anniversary date. This is the way they explained it to me and this is what happened.
    If you cancelled and apply for the new card for the bonus points, the anniversary date changes and you will lose the free night certificate from the old card.

3. NJMOM2

NJMOM2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Harbour Lake
    Marriott OceanWatch
    I can't say for sure if your anniversary date will change but I can say with my last upgrade it did change. My annual fee is due in December and I received the anniversary e-certificate in May. I had no intentions of upgrading in December and receiving an e-certificate that would expire in June (it was only valid for six months at that time). I made sure my anniversary date would be May so I would be able to use it in the summer or fall to go watch my daughter play soccer in college. I did not cancel my credit card and get a new one.

With the latest upgrade I am sure if I had not called Marriott Rewards I would have lost out on my annual e-certificate for my old card. It was way over due to be deposited in my account because I upgraded right before it should have been deposited into my account.

4. dsmrp

dsmrp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
    Well the Chase rep was right. On DH's Chase account, it showed 100K points sent to Marriott today Aug 10.
    However, his Marriott account doesn't reflect the points. Wonder how long it will take Marriott to credit his account.
    Good thing, I decided against getting a travel pkg, and am not really anxious to get the points before the systems update on the 18th. That could change tho... :ponder:

5. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    The 10th is today. It will take a few days for them to show up.

6. NJDave

NJDave TUG Member

Credit Card Changes

There are changes to the restrictions coming the end of this month where we won't be able to apply for the Chase or American Express if you already have the other one.

Who has signed up to have both cards before the restrictions come in?

My wife has the Amex and just got approved for Chase. I have the Chase but am restricted from getting a bonus on Amex since I had the card a few years ago. I am considering getting the Amex (without the bonus points) just to have four Category 5 certificates annually.

Are others using the credits card to supplement their timeshares. I look the annual credit card fees as being just another maintenance fee. We also combined have three certificates with IHG which would bring us to 7 nights per year (at a cost of around $600)

ljmiii and SueDonJ like this.
  7. SueDonJ

SueDonJ Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
    From ljmiii's link in Post #25, Welcome to Chase - Product Upgrade Catch All Page - Credit Cards, isn't the deadline 12/31/18?

I've had to put all this stuff on the back burner for a while and am catching up now. Am I confusing two different new/updated credit cards, the Premier Plus VISA and an American Express option?

8. ljmiii

ljmiii TUG Member

Hmmm...that link no longer sends you to the same place/offer it used to (or maybe it's just that I have too much stuff in my cache). In any case, I'm guessing the 12/31/18 deadline is to get the 'bonus' reward of 10-50K points from upgrading from the old Marriott VISA to the new one.

The end of this month deadline is (I think) for having both cards. Actually, yesterday I sent in a request for the AMEX card after seeing NJDave's post!

9. mas

mas TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts Owned:
    MAR BeachPlace;
    Cypress Harbour;
    Ocean Watch;
    Canyon Villas;
    FYI, I have(had) the premiere Marriott VISA card: I called the number on the back of the card to upgrade to the premiere plus card. The difference is pretty simple and straight forward. 6x vs. 5x for Marriott spend. Reward cert for the annual free night is max 35K points vs. 25K points. The annual cost delta is $95 vs. $85. They gave me 10k mr points for switching to the premiere plus.
    Of Note: my card acct. # didn't change but not really sure if my anniversary date will change--his explanation was a little confusing, he said they would issue a credit for the unused time on the old account and the new fee would be billed after the change was processed(probably within a few days or less).

10. Squan66

Squan66 TUG Member

Do you have a spouse that you can get the new card under? I like the elite night credit for every $3000 you spend so we are keeping the existing card for one of us. My husband already has lifetime so it wasn’t as big a deal for him.

mav likes this.
  11. janej

janej Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I have both Marriott old card and Amex SPG. Looks like I need to cancel both in order to get any welcome points? Under the new rule, do I need to wait for 90 days? I just want to have one when MF for 2019 is due. Actually I could use Chase Sapphire Reserve for MF too.

Thanks,

Jane

12. NJDave

NJDave TUG Member

13. ljmiii

ljmiii TUG Member

It looks like the deadline has been moved up from 8/31/18 to 8/25/18 for getting an AMEX SPG if you have the Chase Marriott (or visa versa). So if you want the bonus miles you'll have to act fast.

And thank you again NJDave...I just got notified my new AMEX SPG card has been sent!

14. NJDave

NJDave TUG Member

I have received so many tips on Tug over the 15 plus years as a member and glad when I can return the favor. Enjoy your points and your annual free night.

15. SueDonJ

SueDonJ Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
    Thank you! I edited the thread title to show deadlines for both new cards - PLEASE let me know if they need correcting. :)

16. jpa2825

jpa2825 TUG Member

My situation:
    • Have the OLD MR Chase card (did not upgrade to NEW MR Chase card because I am trying to max out nights to reach LTP before 12.31 to get LTPP).
    • Got the signup bonus for the OLD MR Chase card > 24 mos. ago
    • Had the SPG AmEx card, but cancelled > 6 mos. ago
    • Got the SPG AmEx card when they announced the merger and got a 30k Starwood point bonus.
    • The remainder of those 30k points just transferred into my MR account when I combined them a day or 2 ago.
    As I read the article linked above, I would not qualify for either of the Basic Starwood AmEx (b/c I currently have OLD MR Chase card.

Weirdly, the article doesn't state that having the OLD MR Chase card is a bar to earning bonus for the NEW MR Chase card. That's gotta be wrong, doesn't it? Is the chart just trying to show cross-bank disqualifications?

I don't see anything in the article / chart from Marriott that would prohibit me from getting the SPG Luxury AmEx and getting the ?75k? signup bonus. Am I missing something? Would my prior SPG AmEx card disqualify me (even though cancelled)?

17. GetawaysRus

GetawaysRus TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Desert Villas 2
    Sedona Summit
    The SPG Luxury AmEx is a new product, so there is no way you have ever had it before. A prior SPG AmEx personal or business card will not disqualify you. I put in an app for my wife this morning. She has had the SPG personal AmEx in the past and currently holds an SPG Business card. She was instantly approved.

The new rules about whether or not you can get a new Chase Marriott cards or AmEx SPG cards based upon your past Chase/AmEx cards will go into effect on Aug 26. So there is a short window (Aug 23, 24, 25) when those rules don't apply. And that's why I put in the app for my wife's SPG Luxury card today (Aug 23). In a few more days, she would not have qualified because of the other Chase/AmEx credit cards that she has.

18. NJDave

NJDave TUG Member

Thanks for posting. I am in the same situation (i.e. I previously had the SPG card). I didn't realize that the SPG Luxury Amex card was launched already.

https://apply.americanexpress.com/spgamexmclp16/

19. jpa2825

jpa2825 TUG Member

So if I read the offer correctly, 100k MR points + $300 statement credit for hotel purchases (spa, restaurants, etc. charged to your room) + free night (up to 50k) after renewal (not in 1st yr.) are the big selling points in exchange for the $450 AF. I already have a Business Platinum AmEx that got me & my family Global Entry / TSA, so that's not a perk. If I achieve LTPP, the 15 night credit starting in 2019 is no perk.

Did anyone confirm that just getting "offered" the NEW MR Chase card doesn't disqualify you from the 100k signup bonus? I was offered to upgrade to the NEW MR Chase card as a current OLD MR Chase cardholder, but I did not do it (b/c I am trying to get nights to get to LTPP at $3k per night).

I'm likely to try to get approved today.

20. thinze3

thinze3 Tug Review Crew TUG Member

I just applied for (over the phone) the regular SPG Amex with the 75K bonus 2 days ago. I didn't want another $450/yr card since I have the Sapphire Reserve and use it often. I did also get the new Chase Marriott Card back in May or June with those 100K points already in the account. I was told by Amex that even though I do have the new Marriott card, I will qualify for the Amex bonus points, but that those applying after tomorrow, Aug 25th, would not qualify.

21. jpa2825

jpa2825 TUG Member

Interesting. I wonder if having the OLD MR Chase card would also not be disqualifying. May have to call and find out. $95 would be much lower risk than $450 (although you can argue that 25k MR points + $300 credits + free night after renewal makes it a very close call.

22. NJDave

NJDave TUG Member

You can refer your spouse or friend for the new Luxury Amex Card (or older SPG) and receive 20,000 points. You will see this option when you log into your credit card account.

I received the referral in a couple of minutes. Even thought the referral is for the older SPG card, the person receiving the referral has an opportunity to select another card being offered. The Luxury card is one of those options. The site states that the referring person will still obtain the bonus (i.e. 20,000) points for referral. So anyone applying today before the bonus deadline if you are not going to be eligible for the bonus tomorrow, may want to refer to pick up the additional 20,000 points. My wife referred me early this morning but I selected the Luxury card since I was ineligible for the older card.

23. jpa2825

jpa2825 TUG Member

Do you have to have a SPG AmEx to refer? My spouse is not eligible for any of the new cards b/c she got the NEW MR Chase card. I looked at her Chase account and the only referral offer was for the NEW MR Chase and when you clicked on that, it says that promotion ended. Is there any way she can refer me for the new Luxury AmEx SPG?

24. NJDave

NJDave TUG Member

She could refer you for the Lux Amex if she has the regular SPG Amex. I pointed this out since there may be others like me that are not eligible for the regular SPG card bonus but eligible for the Lux Amex (if applying today). I had originally assumed that there was no referral since the Lux card was so new.

25. frank808

frank808 TUG Member

Dang i saw the referral button but thought it was only for the spg amex that we have. I didnt know that we could use it to choose a different card.

There was no way my new luxury account would set up in time to get the referral bonus email. Could have gotten 40k more marriott points in our accountl.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk