TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

New 2018 Marriott/SPG credit cards - Deadlines AMEX 8/25/18 and VISA 12/31/18

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by mav, Apr 17, 2018.

1. MOXJO7282

MOXJO7282 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I don't really need my Marriott Chase card for some time until SPG Amex is no good in August so I do plan on waiting 60 days to renew just to be safe. I also don't have a problem with spending $5k in 3 months with a son heading to college but if i sign up my wife and daughter as well that is more of a stretch so was thinking of prepaying MFs as well.

I just cancelled my daughter's card. She really is accumulating a nice points total just with these sign-on bonuses. When she was 18 I got her the Marriott Visa so she could get the 80k sign up points. Then did the SPG Amex for another 75k and now this 100k will pad her account nicely. Already she has close to 300k points. Now she already has a honeymoon Marriott travel package worth of points.

I recently read a story about how most people get confused by travel award programs. I couldn't understand that because for me it's like shooting fish in a barrel and over the years the free travel value we've received by managing our travel programs to the max has to be $25k if not more.

Steve Fatula likes this.
  2. kds4

kds4 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Grande Vista
    Marriott Destination Club Points
    Same here. I have had the card for many years. My upgrade offer was also only 10k. I passed. Will consider canceling and applying for a new card once I get DW set up with hers first.

3. Eddymax

Eddymax Guest

How long is it taking new customers to receive their Marriott card in the mail?
    I have some large purchases coming soon and hope to have the card in time!.

And on a separate point, I am traveling to Hawaii next summer and this was the main reason I looked into the Marriott Premier Plus card... to rack up points for our stay. Was there another traveling credit card you would’ve recommended more?!

Thanks!.

4. TXTortoise

TXTortoise TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club
    MOC Lahaina
    Mountainside, Park City
    Vail Streamside Birch
    I know the high price cards like Chase Reserve were Fedex’d. My regular Marriott was 2-3 weeks, but number was available before then if you call.

5. Steve A

Steve A Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Rejected because I already have the premier account with them. Notified by mail three days after I applied.

6. tahoe

tahoe TUG Member

I'm a big fan of the Costco VISA:
    https://www.costco.com/credit-card.html

4% gas
    3% travel/restaurants

Don't need to deal with point systems. Just $$$.

7. Jerrygomi

Jerrygomi TUG Member

I got turned down flat for the Premier Plus Card. Reason: "you already have a marriott rewards premier card with us". The letter then said I could upgrade my card but a product change is not eligible for a new cardmember bonus. The phone rep had told me not to cancel my existing card, but I guess cancel and wait 60 days is the only chance of getting 100k points.

8. TXTortoise

TXTortoise TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club
    MOC Lahaina
    Mountainside, Park City
    Vail Streamside Birch
    Probably also subject to 24 month rule, which would preclude the 100k bonus.

In the the fine print of the online offering.

9. StevenTing

StevenTing TUG Member

It's been a week since I cancelled my card. I just applied online as was approved.

The credit line now shows up in my Chase App and I actually got a 50% increase in credit limit from my cancelled card. The big question is whether or not I will receive the 100K points. Once I have the account number I plan to prepay my 2019 maintenance fees.

10. kds4

kds4 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Grande Vista
    Marriott Destination Club Points
    Please let us know if you get the 100k bonus. Is this your first Marriott card or did you have the previous Marriott card and cancelled it?

11. thinze3

thinze3 Tug Review Crew TUG Member

I just called the number on back of my Chase Sapphire Reserve card to ask about the Chase Marriott card offer and wait times. The lady new exactly what I was asking and promptly looked up my account. She said that they advise to wait 30 days between cancelling a card and reapplying.

She said my account showed that my Chase Marriott card was cancelled on April 20th, and that if I wait until after May 20th to reapply for the new Chase Marriott card I would qualify for the 100K MR bonus offer.

I just felt like her simple understanding and quick answers indicated that she knew what she was talking about.

12. sfwilshire

sfwilshire TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I was tempted to apply for the new card, but I would not spend $5k in the allotted window this time of year. I would at the end of the year when my timeshare maintenance fees come due, but I learned before that the free hotel night awarded on your anniversary is only good for 6 months (if I remember correctly) and I have more opportunity to use it in the summer months.

13. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

It is now good for a year and only issued a year later on the anniversary.

14. linsj

linsj TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC
  15. jeepie

jeepie TUG Member

Just prepay your MFs. And the free night is good for a year. Cheers.

16. MOXJO7282

Yes i'm waiting until I need a new Marriott card which really isn't until August when the SPG no longer gets the 3 for 1. I cancelled May 8th and have a trip to MFC in July so right after that I'll sign up and hopefully qualify for the 100k points.

17. thinze3

thinze3 Tug Review Crew TUG Member

How far out can you prepay? Do it by calling ini I don't see that option online.

18. jeepie

jeepie TUG Member

You can do it online. Pay all or part of any week(s) and DC Points. You could even pay more than one years’ worth if you wish.

19. mdurette

mdurette TUG Member

We received emails for upgrade offer:
    Me - 10,000 and that card gets about $5,000 a year charged on it (our go to is Chase Reserve)
    Husband - 20,000. He got the card about a year ago for a big sign bonus and has never used it!

I'm planning on canceling mine and trying for a new card later on.
    Husband - will take the 20,000 as he isn't eligible anyway since he just got a sign up bonus last year.

20. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    I have this card and use it as little as possible. I can get a hotel room at Swan or Dolphin in Epcot with 12,000 Starwood points right now (admittedly this is not going to be available much longer). The hotel prices start at $300+ tax. I can get a Hyatt hotel in Boston for 8,000 points that costs about $260. That only requires an $8,000 spend to get that hotel room. An $8,000 spend gets you $80 with the Costco card.

I think that is a better value than what you are doing. You need to check out a website like Million Mile Secrets.

21. GetawaysRus

GetawaysRus TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Desert Villas 2
    Sedona Summit
    It's possible that your husband might be able to refer you for the new card and garner 20K additional points for himself:
    https://www.chase.com/referafriend/marriottpremierplus?CID=PTNR1

I canceled my own card via a phone call to Chase just a few days ago. I was told that I would be eligible for the 100K offer on the new card if I waited until the record of the old card drops off my credit report in mid-July. The phone rep gave me an exact date, but I'll probably wait 60 days (just a little longer) to be safe. My wife has the old card, so we'll see if she is able to refer me for the new card.

By the way, when canceling your old Chase Marriott card, be sure to move as much of your existing credit line to another Chase credit card as possible. I don't think you want to sacrifice any of your total credit limit with Chase. I did that and, if I need to, I will move that back onto the new card if it helps me gain approval for a new account. I think this is especially important if your income has fallen (for example, you've retired).

22. mdurette

mdurette TUG Member

I called Chase to cancel and rep told me I could cancel and reapply all in the same call and be eligible for the 100,000 sign up. I questioned since some reports are wait until a statement cycle, wait 60 day, haven't found anyone that could confirm immediate sign up yet. So, I took the pass for this reason and also the suggestion from GetawayRus - thanks for pointing out the referral: I will ensure husband refers me :)

23. MOXJO7282

It all depends on what your objective is. My thing is I have 25 weeks in my TS portfolio and mega points in my MAR account for more hotel stays so the last thing I need is points for more hotel nights.

I have 2 cards that get me payment rebates, my Amex Blue that I will never give up because it gets me 5% on big expense categories for me, groceries and gas and my Costco because it gets me 2% on Costco spend which is another big expense category for me and 3% on restaurants. Costco rebates add up to over $1000 per year and with Amex Blue I usually get back $1200.

So I use 3 CCs, SPG Amex for 3 for 1 MAR points conversion, Amex Blue for groceries and gas, and Costco for Costco and restaurants. On an annual basis managing it this way really builds on my MAR points total and brings me a very nice payment rebate with Costco and Amex Blue. When I sign up for the new Marriott card that will replace the SPG but the other cards will be used exactly the same.

TXTortoise likes this.
  24. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    So work on getting airfare without paying cash for it. It's all a game to me, and I enjoy the game, it's my hobby, and I tend to build points and miles much faster than most people. The Chase Sapphire Reserve card had a signup bonus of 100K points, and it is my number one card. $100K spend gets $1,500 in free travel (airfare too). Cashback cards are just so-so for me.

25. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Desert Springs Villas II 2BR
    Playa Andaluza Silver Seafront 2BR
    Destinations Points
    Totally agree. It's my job in retirement! We spent airline miles to get us to Spain and back this year, still there, and, that was end of last year we spent the miles. Already have them all back! That will fund 2 airfare to Thailand next year also for free. Last Year, we funded airfare to Australia for free. It's a game worth playing! The Australia airfare was worth close to $4,000 for 2.