• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New 2018 Marriott/SPG credit cards - Deadlines AMEX 8/25/18 and VISA 12/31/18

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
So work on getting airfare without paying cash for it. It's all a game to me, and I enjoy the game, it's my hobby, and I tend to build points and miles much faster than most people. The Chase Sapphire Reserve card had a signup bonus of 100K points, and it is my number one card. $100K spend gets $1,500 in free travel (airfare too). Cashback cards are just so-so for me.
The CSR bonus is now only 50,000 pts and there were a few little tweaks recently to benefits of the CSR card.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Yeah, but my frustration is the non-value of business or first using the Ultimate Reward portal. Coach does seem to have a lot of value.

After chasing points last year, and good balances in MR, SPG and Chase now, I'm back to figuring out which cards to thin it out to.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So work on getting airfare without paying cash for it. It's all a game to me, and I enjoy the game, it's my hobby, and I tend to build points and miles much faster than most people. The Chase Sapphire Reserve card had a signup bonus of 100K points, and it is my number one card. $100K spend gets $1,500 in free travel (airfare too). Cashback cards are just so-so for me.

I don't pay cash for airfare. I receive 240k MR by just paying MFs every year so I have more than enough sky miles and hotel certs and really have trouble using them all at this point in my life. Points lose value as they sit there so I build them fast and use them fast. That's how we've flown free FC class NY to Maui 7 times and heading to STT in FC in July.

However getting 5% cash back on groceries, gas and drug store is also a huge cash bonus in my book. I have 4 cars in my family of 4, one being a hungry teenager so I spend $2k+ monthly on these expenses. $20k+/yr qualifies for 5%. That is a rebate I'd always pursue even if not my situation wasn't as it is.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
However getting 5% cash back on groceries, gas and drug store is also a huge cash bonus in my book. I have 4 cars in my family of 4, one being a hungry teenager so I spend $2k+ monthly on these expenses. $20k+/yr qualifies for 5%. That is a rebate I'd always pursue even if not my situation wasn't as it is.
I must have missed the post... which card gets 5% cash back on groceries, gas and drug stores?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I must have missed the post... which card gets 5% cash back on groceries, gas and drug stores?
Amex Clear Blue. Had it for long time so not sure they still offer but for us the best cash rebate we can find on two big expense categories.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Just upgraded to Chase Premier Plus today. For $10/yr the extra point/$1 spend at Marriott and the free night up to 35,000 instead of 25,000 seemed an obvious though not thrilling improvement. And the small signing bonus didn't hurt.
Ha! Marriott is also increasing their category 5 hotels from 25,000 MRPs to 35,000 MRPs per night...so upgrading to Premier Plus gains nothing here. Fooled you, didn't they?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ha! Marriott is also increasing their category 5 hotels from 25,000 MRPs to 35,000 MRPs per night...so upgrading to Premier Plus gains nothing here. Fooled you, didn't they?
The categories are all changing. There is no more category 9. The new Cat 5 is not the same as the old Cat 5.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Suppose our maintenance fees are $2000. How many MRPs will we receive if paying with the new Marriott Premier Plus credit card?
What if we don't upgrade and continue with our existing non-premier Marriott Rewards Visa card?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do we really know that the new card will provide the bonus points for MVC maintenance fees? I haven't yet seen confirmation that MVC will be included in the Marriott bonus points for the new card. I am keeping the old card until more information is provided regarding this issue.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Um...no. Old cat 5 != New cat 5.
How many MRPs will we receive if paying [MFs] with the new Marriott Premier Plus credit card?
6 MRPs/$ with the new card, 5 MRPs/$ with the old one.
What if we don't upgrade and continue with our existing non-premier Marriott Rewards Visa card?
You'll pay $10 less /yr, get 5 MRPs/$ instead of 6, get a free night in a 25K hotel room instead of 35K, and get a elite night per $3000 spend (the new one doesn't do this).

fdough1

Reaction score
I got an email this morning asking me if I wanted to upgrade for 50k points. I replied and we shall see in 4 business days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
12,000 MRPs with new card. 10,000 MRPs with old card.
...and you know this how? (Pointer, please...or is this just opinion?)

I have not be able to find anything in writing about getting 5 for 1 or 6 for 1 on annual vacation club maintenance fee payments with either card.

We have been getting 5 for 1 with our Marriott Rewards card, but can find no statement by Marriott Rewards or Marriott Inc that this will continue, now that the vacation club is under separate ownership.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I have not be able to find anything in writing about getting 5 for 1 or 6 for 1 on annual vacation club maintenance fee payments with either card.

We have been getting 5 for 1 with our Marriott Rewards card, but can find no statement by Marriott Rewards or Marriott Inc that this will continue, now that the vacation club is under separate ownership.
Because the charge will show up as a Marriott charge. Marriott charges net 5X on the old card and 6x on the new card.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score

I agree with your point. Neither MVC nor Marriott have communicated anything regarding whether we will still be getting the same benefits for MVC spending and night credits in the new program. I'm becoming a little concerned that changes are in store since there has been virtually no communication from MVC. I'll likely cancel my Marriott Chase if we no longer receive the bonus for MF payments.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I was told that I would be eligible for the 100K offer on the new card if I waited until the record of the old card drops off my credit report in mid-July.
This is bad information. The old card will not drop off your credit report for 7 years.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My email communication with Chase:

Me: Good AFternoon - I recently closed my Marriott CC with the
intention to reapply for your new card with the 100,000 pt
have to wait a certain time period before being eligible
for the sign up bonus. Can you confirm I am good to
reapply now?

Chase: Hello xxxxxx,

I am glad to review your inquiry about the sign up bonus
points for a new card.

xxxxxx, let me share that you can apply for a new Chase
Marriott credit card, however, we are unable to confirm
that you will receive the 100,000 sign up bonus points for
the new card.

New applications are available on-line at our secure
website. Please visit our website referenced below for
the most current offers and terms available:

http://www.creditcards.chase.com

We appreciate your business and thank you for being a
Chase customer.

Well now, that didn't help at all

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
DW got an email to upgrade to the new card for a 50K bonus. I haven't got an email for upgrading my card.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
DW got an email to upgrade to the new card for a 50K bonus. I haven't got an email for upgrading my card.
Did she get the email offer without checking out online as to how much is the offer for an upgrade? I don't dare to try yet as I am trying to accumulate 1 more night through spending to get to Lifetime Gold = Platinum by year end. So close!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Did she get the email offer without checking out online as to how much is the offer for an upgrade? I don't dare to try yet as I am trying to accumulate 1 more night through spending to get to Lifetime Gold = Platinum by year end. So close!
She hadn't checked online first. The email was the first time we ever looked at or thought about it.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
She hadn't checked online first. The email was the first time we ever looked at or thought about it.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
I got an email offer to upgrade to the new Marriott Chase card for a 10,000 point bonus. Clearly, hearing some of you are getting 50,000 point offers, sounds like I should hold off and hope for a better offer.
Under the current program, do we still get 10 points for every dollar spent at MVC plus the 5 points per dollar if using the credit card?
For $85 for the old card, we get an elite night credit for every $3k spent, plus a cat 1-5 hotel stay. Now that is being devalued to a hotel night worth 25,000 points (no longer cat 5)
The new card we spend $10 more ($95) and we get a free hotel night up to 35,000 points (which is a cat 5) and we are losing the elite night credit for every $3k spent. We are instead getting an extra point per dollar spent? Gold status for spending $35k?
I’m not seeing the value of upgrading...am I missing something?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I got an email offer to upgrade to the new Marriott Chase card for a 10,000 point bonus. Clearly, hearing some of you are getting 50,000 point offers, sounds like I should hold off and hope for a better offer.
Under the current program, do we still get 10 points for every dollar spent at MVC plus the 5 points per dollar if using the credit card?
For $85 for the old card, we get an elite night credit for every $3k spent, plus a cat 1-5 hotel stay. Now that is being devalued to a hotel night worth 25,000 points (no longer cat 5)
The new card we spend $10 more ($95) and we get a free hotel night up to 35,000 points (which is a cat 5) and we are losing the elite night credit for every $3k spent. We are instead getting an extra point per dollar spent? Gold status for spending $35k?
I’m not seeing the value of upgrading...am I missing something?

I keep pondering the same thing. What is worth more to me....the 1 elite night for every $3K spend, or the extra 1MR point for every $1 Marriott spend. I have received 2 emails from them now (just got 2nd today) and both emails were for a paltry 10K bonus to "upgrade".

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received mine for a 20K bonus upgrade. I will likely do so after I put another $1.5K on the card to get my remaining 1 night. But first I want to refer my husband to get the card for him to get my 20K referral bonis and his 100K!