• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New 2018 post 2010 enrollment offer?

jbvp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard that there is a new offer on enrolling post 2010 weeks in the points program. Does anyone have the details? What extra incentives are they offering to entice you?

scfpgh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
I heard that there is a new offer on enrolling post 2010 weeks in the points program. Does anyone have the details? What extra incentives are they offering to entice you?

We went to a presentation yesterday. We own two external resale weeks at Barony. Bronze Ocean Front, purchased pre 2010 (enrolled via an Encore offer). Gold Ocean Side, purchased post 2010 (not enrolled).

Yesterday's offer: Purchase 3000 new points (x$13.96 = $42880), and post 2010 week will be enrolled.
This would give us 7300 total annual points, and a MF of $4250/year (at current rates).
(7300 pts = 3000 new points + 1100 points from enrolled Bronze week + 3200 pts from enrolling Gold week)

Sales says that owning over 4000 points will make us Select (7300 would place us in Exec), and able to book thirteen months outs.
Also says we would become permenant Platinum Elite (Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite), as long as our DP membership increases before Aug 1 deadline.

Here is other info, that I'm not 100% following, as we were not planning to buy:
Financing through Marriott- two options:
$35,580 (abt $11.86/pt) plus choice of 200,000 MRP or 3000 one time DP. Then another 3000 one time DP if we hold there note for 18 months.
$33,480 (abt $11.16/pt), with 3000 one time DP if we hold their note for 18 months.

ETA: Interest rate and terms - 10.99 for 10 years and 12.99 for 15 years

In the process of contacting them about purchasing a lesser number of points, but still being able to enroll our Gold week. Will let you know what they say.

ETA: minimum DP purchases to enroll post 2010 weeks
3000 for 1 weeks
4000 for 2 weeks
5000 for 3 weeks

Anyone have thoughts/recommendations about this offer?

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Seems very consistent with their last promotion.
3000 point purchase required to enroll 1 previously unenrollable week.
15% price discount with incentives....and additional incentive for financing.
20% price discount with no incentives....but with incentive for financing.

They likely have a higher point requirement to enroll more than 1 week....as they have in the past.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We went to a presentation yesterday. We own two external resale weeks at Barony. Bronze Ocean Front, purchased pre 2010 (enrolled via an Encore offer). Gold Ocean Side, purchased post 2010 (not enrolled).

Yesterday's offer: Purchase 3000 new points (x$13.96 = $42880), and post 2010 week will be enrolled.
This would give us 7300 total annual points, and a MF of $4250/year (at current rates).
(7300 pts = 3000 new points + 1100 points from enrolled Bronze week + 3200 pts from enrolling Gold week)

Sales says that owning over 4000 points will make us Select (7300 would place us in Exec), and able to book thirteen months outs.
Also says we would become permenant Platinum Elite (Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite), as long as our DP membership increases before Aug 1 deadline.

Here is other info, that I'm not 100% following, as we were not planning to buy:
$35,580 (abt $11.86/pt) plus choice of 200,000 MRP or 3000 one time DP. Then another 3000 one time DP if we hold there note for 18 months.
$33,480 (abt $11.16/pt), with 3000 one time DP if we hold there note for 18 months.

In the process of contacting them about purchasing a lesser number of points, but still being able to enroll our Gold week. Will let you know what they say.

You are already in the Destinations Club, so you can rent points as needed at only a slight premium to MF's. So the question is what else will you get (other than the points) and is that worth $35,000 to you.

Executive Level is nice (we are there from enrolled weeks), but unless you know what specific benefits you would use, imho, $35K is a lot to pay for the privilege of making short reservations 13 months out.

Great first post by the way. Welcome to TUG.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

$33,480 (abt $11.16/pt), with 3000 one time DP if we hold there note for 18 months.

Thank you for sharing.

scfpgh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
I have edited post #3 to add the following information, and to give a little more info on our particular situtation:

Interest rate and terms - 10.99% for 10 years or 12.99% for 15 years

Minimum DP purchase required to enroll post 2010 external weeks:
3000 for 1 week
4000 for 2 weeks
5000 for 3 weeks

We currently own two weeks at Barony Beach, both purchased through eBay.
Bronze Ocean Front Week:
2008 purchased for abt $350, plus closing cost. Enrolled in DP, can trade for 1100 DPs annually.
We never wanted to pay to enroll this as the DP value is low. But then were offered the ability to enroll as part of an Encore package that was reasonable for us. Will be using the DPs for the first time in Dec 2018 to stay 10 nights Ocean Side vs our deeded 7 nights OF.

Gold Ocean Side Week:
2011 purchased for $3500, plus closing costs. Not enrolled in DP
Have not been able to enroll this post 2010 week. (There may have been an offer at some point to enroll if we bought an equivalent 3400 additional points.)

If we were to purchase the 3,000 new DPs at $35,580, MVC will enroll our Gold week (trade value 3200 DPs).
Plus, we (or one of us?) would become Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum Elite, as long as we purchase prior to the August 1 date.

Our total purchase outlay for the two weeks plus the new DPs would be about $40,000. That comes to a total DPs points cost of abt $5.50 each. That SOUNDS good, but I'm not sure it's a logical way to look at it.
We like coming down in May, so we don't NEED to trade for DPs. @vactiontime1 makes a very good point (!) about being able to rent DPs as needed vs paying another $36,000ish, plus annual MFs. I don't think we even knew about that option!

Can anyone give us a solid reason to BUY the points?

Very glad I found TUG!

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
You are already using the Destination Club to your advantage: you elected points for your enrolled week and used them to augment your less flexible non-enrolled week. Well done.

You write that you "don't NEED to trade for DPs". That makes it easy; keep your $35,000 and rent points or weeks to supplement what you have.

Also, financing a timeshare purchase and paying interest is almost never a sound decision.

scfpgh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
You are already using the Destination Club to your advantage: you elected points for your enrolled week and used them to augment your less flexible non-enrolled week. Well done.

You write that you "don't NEED to trade for DPs". That makes it easy; keep your $35,000 and rent points or weeks to supplement what you have.

Also, financing a timeshare purchase and paying interest is almost never a sound decision.
Thank you.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I got a call from Marriott to enroll my post-2010 EOY Ko Olina OV week but I need to buy 3000 points. That would cost about $41,800 (assuming $13.96 pp). Too expensive in my opinion given an EOY week is worth a little over 2000 points per year. However from what I understand, we can only elect points in its usage year. It is better to use or rent my EOY Ko Olina week than pay that much to enroll it. So I told Marritt no. This offer would probably be better for annual weeks that have high point value.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
pfffft: For $41,800, you could easily buy at least 3, no 4 resale weeks at MKO. Full annual. Boy that would be some MF's

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
You don’t need to buy anything to enroll pre-2010 weeks in the DP program. Call Marriott, don’t do it online, you have to watch a video, then sign the agreement. You get a new II account, you can deposit your week or not, and rent points with no MF.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
You don’t need to buy anything to enroll pre-2010 weeks in the DP program. Call Marriott, don’t do it online, you have to watch a video, then sign the agreement. You get a new II account, you can deposit your week or not, and rent points with no MF.

This thread is about post-2010, not pre-2010.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
Obviously the first objective is to increase revenue by selling points but wondering if a second objective thus time is to get miore Marriott weeks into the system for when the companies combine. If this is the case, if this is not as successful as required as the companies merge, might a post 2010 deal be in the works that reverses the focus. Maybe a higher fee pre 2010 offering. If you can't raise the bridge to meet your objectives yo can lower the water.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Obviously the first objective is to increase revenue by selling points but wondering if a second objective thus time is to get miore Marriott weeks into the system for when the companies combine. If this is the case, if this is not as successful as required as the companies merge, might a post 2010 deal be in the works that reverses the focus. Maybe a higher fee pre 2010 offering. If you can't raise the bridge to meet your objectives yo can lower the water.
That is really the only objective. They have been running this promotion for several years each summer. Long before they even thought about acquiring ILG/Vistana

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

I do think that the merger may create a reason for Marriott to want post 2010 resale’s enrolled, if Starwood owners are allowed to enroll their weeks into DC. There will be increased demand for Marriott properties that may not be balanced by opposite demand for Starwood properties, and getting owners of the post 2010 weeks to enroll is another logical source of capacity.

This is another reason why I think we will one day see an amnesty enrollment opportunity for post 2010 weeks (for a fee).

Best,

Greg

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Certainly there is the obvious question:

If the high-end Westins are allowed/encouraged to enroll in DC, what logic would there be in denying high-end Marriott owners to enroll?
Clearly the goal is to enroll as many high-end properties in the 'flex/DC' as possible to promote sales of same.

Without legacy weeks (Mandatory) to feed the DC/Flex, the points programs will have difficulty 'growing' without new property acquisitions.
Of course, as others have pointed out.....Just because MVC indicated that they're not into building-out new resorts, it doesn't mean they can't convert more pulse/existing resorts.......

I'm hoping for Amnesty myself!!!

Like guessing what's in the Christmas stocking: coal or goodies

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Certainly there is the obvious question:

If the high-end Westins are allowed/encouraged to enroll in DC, what logic would there be in denying high-end Marriott owners to enroll?
Clearly the goal is to enroll as many high-end properties in the 'flex/DC' as possible to promote sales of same.

Without legacy weeks (Mandatory) to feed the DC/Flex, the points programs will have difficulty 'growing' without new property acquisitions.
Of course, as others have pointed out.....Just because MVC indicated that they're not into building-out new resorts, it doesn't mean they can't convert more pulse/existing resorts.......

I'm hoping for Amnesty myself!!!

Like guessing what's in the Christmas stocking: coal or goodies

No logic, except make money! I.e., charge as much as possible in phase 1, see how many pay it. Charge a reduced amount in phase 2, see how many pay it. Charge close to 0 if not 0 in phase 3, get the rest. We are likely in phase 1 at this point.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do think that the merger may create a reason for Marriott to want post 2010 resale’s enrolled, if Starwood owners are allowed to enroll their weeks into DC. There will be increased demand for Marriott properties that may not be balanced by opposite demand for Starwood properties, and getting owners of the post 2010 weeks to enroll is another logical source of capacity.

This is another reason why I think we will one day see an amnesty enrollment opportunity for post 2010 weeks (for a fee).

Best,

Greg

I would love to enroll my Maui weeks but I'm not sure that I'm willing to pay a fee to do it. My weeks would be in high demand and I know that for the next 3 years I'll be staying at the property. But if I have to pay a large amount to enroll, I'll pass. If it's something in the $1000 range, I'd be more likely to bite.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love to enroll my Maui weeks but I'm not sure that I'm willing to pay a fee to do it. My weeks would be in high demand and I know that for the next 3 years I'll be staying at the property. But if I have to pay a large amount to enroll, I'll pass. If it's something in the $1000 range, I'd be more likely to bite.
I feel exactly the same.
I would love to enrol my remaining 3x Club Son Antem weeks, even though I plan to stay at the property for the forseeable future.
If it is something in the $1,000 range, I would bite too.

taffy19

Reaction score
No logic, except make money! I.e., charge as much as possible in phase 1, see how many pay it. Charge a reduced amount in phase 2, see how many pay it. Charge close to 0 if not 0 in phase 3, get the rest. We are likely in phase 1 at this point.
I believe that you are right and they all will try this approach first and then offer it for free so everyone will be in it from then on unless you opt out.

If you still do not want to join the trust, then you will own the week that is on your deed and may be hard to sell or even give away because it is outside the program unless it is a vacation or holiday week and you can rent it out, maybe?

What will happen once the trust programs get the majority votes at the older timeshare resorts before the trusts were introduced?

Will they change the CC&Rs for the reservation system to line them up together effortles to the newest Trust Program rules (Loyalty Program Tiers) that may be next? The Super Super Trust!

Could they even stop us from renting weeks out or renting points out to other members that Marriott allows us to do today? They most likely can with a new rule of CC&Rs as that has been done already with another brand about using the condo for commercial use (new Hyatt Portfolio Points Program).

They sold us flexibility but at what price? To make it easier for them to sell the dog weeks and to give them more control over the inventory to rent Friday and Saturday nights out by upping the point requirements for these nights so owners try not to use them.

I really wonder how this is going to work with the fixed week/units at some of the Marriott, Westin (Nanea in Maui) and most Hyatt resorts if these trust programs get the majority vote and they decide to change the CC&Rs even more in their favor so now you have to have their credit cards too and use their hotels to reach the higher tiers or keep buying more points or lose the benefits that you had and paid for. We are the product.

All we want is our fixed week/unit to use but it looks like they will destroy the resale value even more because it will be outside the current program.

I agree with these posts by RSE because there is a conflict of interest at the moment and that has to be corrected one way or the other but not everyone will be happy.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...nts-charts-a-fraud.273179/page-5#post-2141941

and

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...nts-charts-a-fraud.273179/page-5#post-2142177

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I believe that you are right and they all will try this approach first and then offer it for free so everyone will be in it from then on unless you opt out.

If you still do not want to join the trust, then you will own the week that is on your deed and may be hard to sell or even give away because it is outside the program unless it is a vacation or holiday week and you can rent it out, maybe?

What will happen once the trust programs get the majority votes at the older timeshare resorts before the trusts were introduced?

Will they change the CC&Rs for the reservation system to line them up together effortles to the newest Trust Program rules (Loyalty Program Tiers) that may be next? The Super Super Trust!

Could they even stop us from renting weeks out or renting points out to other members that Marriott allows us to do today? They most likely can with a new rule of CC&Rs as that has been done already with another brand about using the condo for commercial use (new Hyatt Portfolio Points Program).

They sold us flexibility but at what price? To make it easier for them to sell the dog weeks and to give them more control over the inventory to rent Friday and Saturday nights out by upping the point requirements for these nights so owners try not to use them.

I really wonder how this is going to work with the fixed week/units at some of the Marriott, Westin (Nanea in Maui) and most Hyatt resorts if these trust programs get the majority vote and they decide to change the CC&Rs even more in their favor so now you have to have their credit cards too and use their hotels to reach the higher tiers or keep buying more points or lose the benefits that you had and paid for. We are the product.

All we want is our fixed week/unit to use but it looks like they will destroy the resale value even more because it will be outside the current program.

I agree with these posts by RSE because there is a conflict of interest at the moment and that has to be corrected one way or the other but not everyone will be happy.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...nts-charts-a-fraud.273179/page-5#post-2141941

and

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...nts-charts-a-fraud.273179/page-5#post-2142177

Honestly?

Not in our lifetimes.......

If the programs change, it will be a slow creeping change. Too much opportunity for class action suit otherwise.

IMHO, I hope I'm right though....

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Honestly?

Not in our lifetimes.......

If the programs change, it will be a slow creeping change. Too much opportunity for class action suit otherwise.

IMHO, I hope I'm right though....

I agree. Assuming past history is any indication of future decisions at least. Even with the points rollout, which was a fairly big change at how timeshares could work, what really changed for weeks owners over the last 8 years? Very little really. Availability is the only thing that I have seen change of any importance, and that has been gradual and s l o w. Weeks still work fine, at least for me, a 20 year owner.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

I feel exactly the same.
I would love to enrol my remaining 3x Club Son Antem weeks, even though I plan to stay at the property for the forseeable future.
If it is something in the $1,000 range, I would bite too.

$1000? Woudl you be willing to enroll at the current full going rate of $2395?