• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Marriott Rewards Property Categories and Travel Package Requirements effective Aug '18

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Thought this needed its own thread, I also posted in the main merger one. Mods: adjust accordingly.

New Charts:

https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change

New Packages:

https://lacek.hs.llnwd.net/e1/marriott/redemption/HAR18036_TravelPackages_Chart2.pdf

A cursory check of a few properties indicates what MR told us...some go up, some go down, though for an example like Orlando, there are roughly triple the number of downs vs. ups. And the 35K value of a the free night on the MRCC is MUCH more valuable than the current Cat 5 one...lots more options.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Looks like a mileage drop in the new packages. Plus to go from 50k to 100k Miles is a difference is 75k points.

I guess I will be making a 5 night package reservation soon.

That doesn't surprise me - that was one of the best value uses of MR points out there. When you couple it with the ability to earn a SW Companion Pass (no longer in play as of March 2017...), it was a really great value per point.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks for sharing. They don't mention the 5 night package for MVC owners, but they usually don't. So, hopefully that won't change.

Mike

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like a mileage drop in the new packages. Plus to go from 50k to 100k Miles is a difference is 75k points.

I guess I will be making a 5 night package reservation soon.

Me too. I need some United miles for next years Thailand trip, and, it would be very bad if I don't get as many! I am assuming it would go into effect in August.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Thought this needed its own thread, I also posted in the main merger one. Mods: adjust accordingly.

New Charts:

https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change

New Packages:

https://lacek.hs.llnwd.net/e1/marriott/redemption/HAR18036_TravelPackages_Chart2.pdf

A cursory check of a few properties indicates what MR told us...some go up, some go down, though for an example like Orlando, there are roughly triple the number of downs vs. ups. And the 35K value of a the free night on the MRCC is MUCH more valuable than the current Cat 5 one...lots more options.

Thanks, jmhpsu. I edited your other post so as to prevent duplicate information in two different threads in the same TUG forum, and also changed the title of this one to help with the search function.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for sharing. They don't mention the 5 night package for MVC owners, but they usually don't. So, hopefully that won't change.

Mike

I'd definitely expect changes to the MVC-Owner 5-Night packages to line up consistently with the metric of these new 7-Night packages. Hopefully MVW is working on releasing that new info (along with the info related to MVC-Owner MR status which has been a long time coming.)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Talking only about how easy it is to dissect the property category info, MI did a good job compiling this list IMO. Notice that clicking on the headers, BRAND-COUNTRY/REGION-etc, will re-sort everything for you. I don't remember if previous lists worked the same but I like it. :)

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Talking only about how easy it is to dissect the property category info, MI did a good job compiling this list IMO. Notice that clicking on the headers, BRAND-COUNTRY/REGION-etc, will re-sort everything for you. I don't remember if previous lists worked the same but I like it. :)

Yes, it also claims you can search by award category, which would be very nice, but I don't see how. A senior moment?

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Yes, it also claims you can search by award category, which would be very nice, but I don't see how. A senior moment?

I don't know if you can search, but you can sort.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Click on the down-arrow in the last column header, NEW AWARD CATEGORY then scroll through to the category you want.

The first click will sort high-to-low, second low-to-high.

And note for all those highest 8* properties: "*An eighth category will be added in early 2019. Until then, Category 8 hotels will be available at Category 7 pricing."

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Click on the down-arrow in the last column header, NEW AWARD CATEGORY then scroll through to the category you want.

The first click will sort high-to-low, second low-to-high.

And note for all those highest *8 properties: "*An eighth category will be added in early 2019. Until then, Category 8 hotels will be available at Category 7 pricing."

Yeah, I know that. The search box text itself says you can search by category. But I can't find how. I want cat 4, yes, I can sort and guess which page and eventually get to cat4, but, was just hoping the text was correct and it was just me who couldn't figure out how to find all cat4.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yeah, I know that. The search box text itself says you can search by category. But I can't find how. I want cat 4, yes, I can sort and guess which page and eventually get to cat4, but, was just hoping the text was correct and it was just me who couldn't figure out how to find all cat4.

Ah, now I see. The only number search I can get to work is 8* because it's unique; a number search of 6 or 4, for example, brings up everything with that number in any field, and a "CategoryX" search brings up nothing. If they're watching here or flyertalk, maybe they'll fix that function. ;)

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, now I see. The only number search I can get to work is 8* because it's unique; a number search of 6 or 4, for example, brings up everything with that number in any field, and a "CategoryX" search brings up nothing. If they're watching here or flyertalk, maybe they'll fix that function. ;)

Yes, now you got it. I just wish it would search by category (as it says), that's handy.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! Those are some big numbers jumps for travel packages!! :eek::(

cwtkm3

TUG Member
Reaction score
The best bit about this programme is far more choice in Europe. I'm really pleased to see the Ritz Carlton Penha Longa resort is going to be a cat 5.

The downside as far as I can see is that I'll be losing 20,000 British Airways Avios miles so I'm thinking I should book a travel package before 1st August.

Question is what is the new category 5 equivalent to in the existing Marriott travel package? The new cat 5 7 nights with 100,000 Avios is 390,000. So do I order a current Marriott 7 night cat 9? Confused.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been on hold for 30 minutes already. Cxxp they just hung up on me!

I originally booked a 5 night cat 5 reward package for UA witn 132,000 frequent flyer miles for 235,000 MRP

Then I re-thought everything. I changed my mind and wanted to upgrade to a cat 7.

I called MCVI back, who then transferred me to Marriott Rewards. After a long wait, I was able to change my TP to a 5 night Cat 7. In fact, I ordered 2 of these packages (since I often bring friends with me and they’re a married couple)

So instead of the upcharge of 35k points (on my original cert) from a cat 5 @ 235K to a cat 7 @ 270k they charged me 45K. They got the second reward correct and charged me 270K for that one. So I’m out 10k MRP points.

This is so messed up. The MVCI people didn’t know how to upgrade the catagory so they transferred me to the Rewards Desk. And the Rewards people obviously made a mistake in their arithmetic. Then when I tried to call back to get it all straightened out, and after 30 minutes on hold, someone came on and immediately hung up!

In case you need it here’s the 5 night point chart:

5 Nights + 50k Miles 5 Nights + 70k Miles 5 Nights + 100k Miles 5 Nights + 120k Miles
Category 1-5 165k 185k 215k 235k
Category 6 180k 200k 230k 250k
Category 7 200k 220k 250k 270k
Category 8 230k 250k 280k 300k

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I just ordered two- 5 night packages. It took a while as the person was not familiar with Marriott owners being able to get a 5 night package. After discussions with a supervisor they were able to figure it out. When you call ask for Loyalty Care and if they aren't familiar with it they can look in their information section for "Marriott Owner Travel Package." The instructions are provided there. My reward code is 650T, which may be a general code for the 5 night package.

My MRP's are now wiped out, so we will have to rebuild it. Fun times.

Best regards.

Mike

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Can resale timeshare owners gain access to the 5 night packages or is this only for developer purchases?

Any word on whether Starwood/Vistana Owners will have access to the 5 night packages after the Aug 1 merger?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed that two of my favorites (Wentworth by the Sea and Mayflower ) are both going up 5000 per night. Mayflower's increases are the same for both hotel and MVC awards. I may have missed it, but are these the peak or standard award point requirements?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I expect there will be a lot more 'peak' nights available than 'off peak', so these will result in significantly higher point requirements for popular locations during vacation seasons.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, the Equinox in Manchester, Vermont goes up 14,000 points per night (maybe more, once Category 8 is announced).

Status
Not open for further replies.