• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New MVC Owner Login requirements coming 11/5/19

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Saw this on the MVC Owner Login page this morning.....

As part of ongoing web security upgrades, a new and improved Owner login page is coming November 5, 2019.
You will soon be required to create a new username and password to update your web account access.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A new user name and password for yet another website. I totally understand the need for security, but man, I've run out of user names and passwords for me to remember. At work, we have to change our passwords every 90-days and it has to contain upper case, lower case, numbers and symbols... so complicated I have to write it down on a sticky note and tape it to my computer screen so I have it when I need to log in :wall:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is becoming rather self defeating.
Security is extremely important, but the almost incessant demands from some companies now to regularly change passwords with ever more complicated formats actually does increasingly risk people forgetting them or keeping a record of them unsafely or...?
I have got well over 500 different passwords now generated by and saved using encrypted password managers, but it can still be a challenge to manage and you have to question whether these can be 100% safe.
6D426B88-4709-4892-AD6A-8DE796B71650.png

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not another username and password to be changed. I now have a notebook of new usernames and passwords.

If the bad guys can hack DOD, Marriott's and some major banks. They can hack our internet accounts very easily. IMO.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
A new user name and password for yet another website. I totally understand the need for security, but man, I've run out of user names and passwords for me to remember. At work, we have to change our passwords every 90-days and it has to contain upper case, lower case, numbers and symbols... so complicated I have to write it down on a sticky note and tape it to my computer screen so I have it when I need to log in :wall:

I don't mean to butt-in here, but I'm guessing that practice is a major violation to your security policies. Where I work, that is grounds for termination. I completely agree that creating these passwords every 90 days (60 days where I work) is difficult.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I don't mean to butt-in here, but I'm guessing that practice is a major violation to your security policies. Where I work, that is grounds for termination. I completely agree that creating these passwords every 90 days (60 days where I work) is difficult.

I was assuming @Swice was being facetious but I agree about the security violation. I was over IT in my previous company. For those in the department, this was grounds for immediate dismissal. For others in the company, it was grounds for immediate dismissal upon the second offense.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
A new user name and password for yet another website.
It isn't a new username and password to remember. You should already have one for the MVCI owners site. YOu are just replacing the old one with a new one.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate having to come up with a new user name. A new password, ok, though I’d rather not have to do that either. But no one asked me...again!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I suspect you can use the same password. Heck, may even be able to use the same username again.

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
I ran a big part of IT when I was still working and I always asked my security folks if the policy of requiring PW changes did not lead many people to writing the PW on a post it note and sticking it under their Keyboard, their response was "well that's a policy violation" . I always thought a strong PW changed regularly almost guaranteed most folks would write them down, it felt like I was in a Monty Python Skit when having this conversation :) I like token based 2 factor with less emphasis on the PW myself and ubiquitous smart phones makes that a bit easier but old habits die hard :)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The current IT security advisement is to have a long passphrase which does not need to be strong. When hackers use a computer to try out combinations in an attempt to get the password, the longer it is the longer it takes for the computer to match the password. People are also more likely to remember a passphrase.

PS. Writing as a retired 12-year certified CISSP and something that I took away from a recent conference.

Last edited:

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
We should all be glad that we don't have to change our TUG user names and passwords every 90 days.

We only had to change the user name once (but were allowed to reuse the old one). Remember when some user names were claimed by others creating some to use quotes or some other minor change to their name.

mike29943098

Reaction score
As a previous poster mentioned, look into a password manager. https://www.lastpass.com and https://1password.com are both reputable options. I personally use LastPass. It means I only need to remember one primary account password, and then the software auto-fills all the other ones in the websites.

Edit: I should clarify, that these password managers generate complex and strong passwords, which avoids the password re-use problem that lots of people fall victim to (once a website gets hacked and passwords stolen, they try using your same email/password in other sites like Netflix, bank accounts, etc.).

This is my first post, but learning about TS as my parents are leaving me theirs in their will, and I'm doing research into what I should know before then, to be prepared.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree, password managers make things simple. On Mac/linux/ios, I use 1password. Don't know any of my passwords, and every password is different. I have well over 1,000 passwords.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
MVC IT folks on top of their game as usual.....now the sign on page says Nov 6th for the change.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
MVC IT folks on top of their game as usual.....now the sign on page says Nov 6th for the change.
And that after the website was down for maintenance for several hours earlier

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Agree, password managers make things simple. On Mac/linux/ios, I use 1password. Don't know any of my passwords, and every password is different. I have well over 1,000 passwords.

What do you do for logging in on your phone or iPad? Works on them too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you do for logging in on your phone or iPad? Works on them too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1password does, yes, it's integrated (at least on IOS) into Safari and other browsers. The same data is used, so, if it's on your computer, laptop, and phone, it's always the same. I have it on linux too.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
1password does, yes, it's integrated (at least on IOS) into Safari and other browsers. The same data is used, so, if it's on your computer, laptop, and phone, it's always the same. I have it on linux too.
Yes, over the years I have used Roboform, LastPass and Dashlane as well as Apple’s iCloud Keychain.
All have worked across all my devices.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Password Requirements

Minimum of 8 characters
At least 1 UPPERCASE alpha character
At least 1 lowercase alpha character
At least 1 special character ^ $ * . [ ] { } ( ) ? - " ! @ # % & / \ , > < ' : ; | _ ~ `
At least 1 numeric character

After you create your new username and password, you get an email or text to confirm/activate that account. Then when you sign in to the new account, you will need to provide your First and Last name as well as your MVC ID # to link to your account. Once in, the site looks exactly the same.

Last edited:

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can confirm you can keep same username. Had to go find an old confirmation of payment to find my Customer ID. My guess this is a lawyer CYA based on the security breach at Marriott.
Fairly painless.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Can confirm you can keep same username. Had to go find an old confirmation of payment to find my Customer ID. My guess this is a lawyer CYA based on the security breach at Marriott.
Fairly painless.
Agreed, it was fairly painless.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
After you create your new username and password, you get an email or text to confirm/activate that account. Then when you sign in to the new account, you will need to provide your First and Last name as well as your MVC ID # to link to your account. Once in, the site looks exactly the same.

It was painless. Google asked if I wanted to save. Went to the phone and new username & password was already entered.