TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

New Orleans city permit to rent?

Discussion in 'US - Central States Timesharing' started by jules54, Jun 28, 2017.

1. jules54

jules54 TUG Member

I have been renting reservations on airbnb and vrbo since the fall of 2016. VRBO actually solicited me to rent my timeshare reservations. I thought VRBO only took full time ownership, but that has changed.
    Here is the problem. In the spring I started to get notification from Airbnb that I had to get a permit from the city to rent my properties. Of course the forms are all for full time ownership properties. I contacted Airbnb and got no help. Airbnb did send me the link for the city government site. I email the man in charge and explained my situation of both properties being Wyndham Timeshares. With a few back and forth emails with him contacting legal. He told me I had to get some type of confirmation from Wyndham that I own contracts and have the right to rent my points.
    Does anyone have any suggestions what department in Wyndham I would even call to figure this out?
    I understand this is about revenue for New Orleans, but isn't Wyndham paying all the taxes on the resorts. BTW I do pay extra taxes through the rental site for sales tax.
    Anyone else ran into this problem?

Thanks for any useful information or help.

2. nicemann

nicemann TUG Member

Ron would probably be your best resource. I am sure he use to be the biggest renter at those properties in the past.

3. jules54

jules54 TUG Member

Yes I'm hoping Ron will read and respond. I'm familiar with the amount of rentals he does in New Orleans. I know lots of folks only use craigslist for there rentals, but there is so much more exposure with the marketing websites. Might not make a difference with the new screwed up website I can't seem to find any availability anyway lol.

4. taffy19

taffy19 TUG Member

Maui or even all Hawaiian islands require these permits too from a timeshare owner now and then have to fill out these forms during tax time. The paperwork alone may cost them more than what they are receiving. Bureaucracy at work! I can see it when you are in the rental business but not when you rent a week out sporadically.

I am positive that more counties will follow in other States too after one started it.

5. ronparise

ronparise TUG Member

I knew New Orleans has some sort of permit program for rentals but I never learned the details, You know more than I do

6. spackler

spackler TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
    Yep, you need to get an annual permit now, even if you just own one interval & want to rent it out to one person. I think it's $150.

Not entirely sure how a points system would work on their permit structure.

EDIT: Actually, you'd need a permit PER INTERVAL as they're considered separate properties.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 12:11 PM
  7. vacationhopeful

vacationhopeful TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ft Lauderdale Beach, Wyndham Santa Barbara, Wyndham Royal Vista, Wyndham Sea Gardens, Wyndham Shawnee (Poconos)
    Hope Extra Holidays gets some city government attention ....

rhonda likes this.
  8. ronparise

ronparise TUG Member

I never used Airbnb or VRBO so I didn’t have to face their rules

I know New Orleans has a permit program but I never learned what was required. I simply assumed that Wyndham had such a permit for the building

If things are as spackler says and a $150 permit is required per interval I’d get just one and show that to Airbnb

Obviously if you have just one interval to rent it wouldn’t be cost effective.

I’d do what I did and just use Craig’s list. That worked fine for the event weeks I concentrated on

9. VegasBella

VegasBella TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Carlsbad Inn
    Avenue Plaza
    Riviera Beach & Spa
  10. Avislo

Avislo Guest

People renting timeshares though Wyndham Like programs may want to contact New Orleans via one of the methods on their site. I am not sure it covers timeshares.

11. ronparise

ronparise TUG Member

Extra holidays has a license at Avenue plaza

12. chapjim

chapjim TUG Member

This should probably be in the Central States Timesharing forum.

13. Avislo

Avislo Guest

Then some of us would not have seen it.

14. chapjim

chapjim TUG Member

15. scootr5

scootr5 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Quarter House, Wyndham Avenue Plaza - Mardis Gras week, Wyndham points
    I just received my Fall newsletter and maintenance fee bill for Quarter House, and the specifically mention the permit in the newsletter. They state that it is for rentals on AirBnB, VRBO, etc (and make no mention of needing it if you are renting your week through them), and state that it is approximately $500.

I'm sure it will be moved there in due course.

16. Saintsfanfl

Saintsfanfl TUG Member

The bigger outfits are obviously required to comply. I am not so sure that private personal rentals are or at least not enforced. For example they don’t even charge tax to owner guests or owner renters. They don’t know which is which. They do charge tax on in-house rentals.