• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[New Point Values are being posted here] anyone hitting the [RCI] site at 12:00?

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Red visible studio, Patriot's Place, is 16 points.

Myrtle Beach is high at 46 points for summer 2 beds.
Reminder that with Starwoods new RCI "Blended Trade Power" generic deposit you will no longer be able to deposit a reserved summer week....and so it goes :mad:

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Summer OBX 2BR is also 46 points.

Summer 2BR Tybee Island, which is much harder to trade into is only 31 points.

Summer 1BR Allen House in London which is much harder than all of those to trade into is 45 points.

Summer Isle of Palms (Charleston) 1BR which is also a much tougher trade than MB or OBX is only 34 points.

Somebody must have been drunk when they concocted this points racket!

If I owned at Allen House, Isle of Palms, or Tybee Island, I would run not walk away from RCI.

Actually, I think it's much more surprising that 1BR units have trade values that are so high. I'm a completely neutral party - I've never joined RCI or traded there - and it seems to me that they've actually done a pretty good job here.

Is it perfect? No. No system is.

But there's nothing you can post that I'll put too much stock in, because You've hated RCI for so long and so hard on this board that it's hard to take your criticisms seriously. The only thing you could have posted today that would have surprised me was something positive, and of course that hasn't happened.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Reminder that with Starwoods new RCI "Blended Trade Power" generic deposit you will no longer be able to deposit a reserved summer week....and so it goes :mad:

Point taken.

RCI guides are not happy about this way that Starwood is controlling deposits, either. They also believe it's wrong. Starwood has hurt us in so many ways.

Last edited:

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains

Tybee Island Memorial Day, 28 points max.

June into July 4th weekend, Tristrams Landing, Nantucket, 33 points max.

Sheila

lizfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Range of Possible Trading Points for New RCI Weeks Exchange System?

Does anyone happen to know the full possible range of points for the new RCI Weeks exchange program? I have seen weeks that have been assigned as low as a "4", and I have also seen weeks assigned as high as a "58". Is the full range of the scale 1-60?

DocPepsi

Reaction score

Summer 1BR Allen House in London which is much harder than all of those to trade into is 45 points.

Summer Isle of Palms (Charleston) 1BR which is also a much tougher trade than MB or OBX is only 34 points.

Somebody must have been drunk when they concocted this points racket!

If I owned at Allen House, Isle of Palms, or Tybee Island, I would run not walk away from RCI.

I'd argue with you on which of those places is more desirable. I for one have never even heard of Tybee Island, which means I would never even consider doing a search for it in the first place. Now if the way RCI handled demand is just a ratio of the amount of units used to the amount of units deposited by members, then that is just a hotel occupancy rate. I hope they don't use that method, because that is just completely flawed. Many high end hotels will have occupancy rates lower than 50%. Does that mean the desirability of Ritz Carlton is lower than say a Holiday Inn with 75% Occupancy?

I'm almost certain that more people are putting ongoing searches, and more people are using their advanced online search for OBX in the Summer. Given that the website is constantly broken, i'd question if RCI would have the ability to figure out how to even use that information in determining 'Demand', but I hope that is the way!

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
We own at Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, Myrtle Beach, and those are doing very well. I have never deposited SBP with RCI and never will. As a matter of fact, I may never deposit another one in II, either.

RCI guides are not happy about this way that Starwood is controlling deposits, either. They also believe it's wrong. Starwood has hurt us in so many ways.
Yes, they sure have....

Didn't realize you had another Myrtle beach ownership.
Using the calculater, SBP 1BR July week is a 46...but owners will never see that due to the "blended trade power"

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tybee Island is beachfront, close to Savannah, and has only one resort, and there is nothing else close in to Savannah. It is hard to get because of location, combining being close to a very interesting city and on the beach. (While it would be possible to drive to Savannah from HHI it is not nearly as close).

Timeshare is real estate, and the three most important factors in real estate are, of course, location, location, and location.

I'd argue with you on which of those places is more desirable. I for one have never even heard of Tybee Island, which means I would never even consider doing a search for it in the first place. Now if the way RCI handled demand is just a ratio of the amount of units used to the amount of units deposited by members, then that is just a hotel occupancy rate. I hope they don't use that method, because that is just completely flawed. Many high end hotels will have occupancy rates lower than 50%. Does that mean the desirability of Ritz Carlton is lower than say a Holiday Inn with 75% Occupancy?

I'm almost certain that more people are putting ongoing searches, and more people are using their advanced online search for OBX in the Summer. Given that the website is constantly broken, i'd question if RCI would have the ability to figure out how to even use that information in determining 'Demand', but I hope that is the way!

wgatips

TUG Member
Reaction score
Massanutten's Shenandoah Villas (Luxury Townhouse Style) 1 Bdrm lockout Week 41, 2010 deposit in the 31-90 day range received 8 points.
Using the deposit calculator, 2 bedroom Week 41, 2011 deposit will yield a whopping 12 points, while split lockouts will yield 10 points each for 20 total points if combined.

Are others seeing similar point boosts, percentage wise, by splitting lock-out units? I certainly don't mind, as I would probably go that route if I do choose to deposit next year (or beyond), even with the combination fee.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Massanutten's Shenandoah Villas (Luxury Townhouse Style) 1 Bdrm lockout Week 41, 2010 deposit in the 31-90 day range received 8 points.
Using the deposit calculator, 2 bedroom Week 41, 2011 deposit will yield a whopping 12 points, while split lockouts will yield 10 points each for 20 total points if combined.

Are others seeing similar point boosts, percentage wise, by splitting lock-out units? I certainly don't mind, as I would probably go that route if I do choose to deposit next year (or beyond), even with the combination fee.

It would appear that they are creating an incentive to split lockouts so that RCI can then collect the combination fee later on.

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score
Summer SC 2 bdrm 6o pts (-3 for depositing at less than 276 days for a 57 pt. deposit). Have to say I am pretty happy with this.

wgatips

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey! So do you have to make a deposit to see the value of your week?

You should be able to see the Deposit Calculator once you go to the "Manage Your Deposits" tab.
Like others noted, I had to clear temp files and cookies in Internet Explorer for this functionality to work.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Tybee Island is beachfront, close to Savannah, and has only one resort, and there is nothing else close in to Savannah. It is hard to get because of location, combining being close to a very interesting city and on the beach. (While it would be possible to drive to Savannah from HHI it is not nearly as close).

Timeshare is real estate, and the three most important factors in real estate are, of course, location, location, and location.

I bought a Memorial Week at this resort site unseen because it had been suggested as a good trader. It has, indeed, done very well for me.

Last year we finally visited for part of our owned week when it didn't rent. It's not my sort of beach (too crowded) but, as Carolinian mentioned, was excellent for visits to Savannah.

Not sure if I'll ever go back, but it certainly is a popular area with southerners. Lots of Georgia and South Carolina plates in the parking lot.

Sheila

wgatips

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but now we can't even log on to the site.
Thank you for your response!

Noticed the same problem in the last 10-15 minutes.
I'm guessing more folks are trying to log on, as the work day is coming to an end - at least on the east coast. Here's the error I'm getting:

LI014: EVS1 Error - Too Many Users

We were unable to process your request; please try again. If you continue to receive this message, please call the Call Center. 1289858442723

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
This positive response must just be killing you Carolinian

Actually, you seem to have missed when I complimented RCI on finally making their Availibilitity tables availible to North American members as part of their website additions. This has been useful for European members and it is a positive that they have made it availible to users on the other side of the pond as well.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Former active Tugger JLB has posted his own example over at Timeshare Forums.

For 20 years, he has been regularly exchanging to one of a group of resorts in SW Florida in the winter, using one deposit plus an exchange fee. With RCI's changes to get an exchange to a lesser resort in the same area at the same time, he will need four deposits combined, and that is for a lesser resort. He calculated the cost of four m/f's, a combining fee, an exchange fee, and RCI membership at $2,758 for one week in a studio at a lesser resort than what he has been getting. Oh, and those four deposits he is referrring to are red 2BR GC's.

A situation like that is RCI moving the goalposts into the next county. They were telling a whopper when they claimed they weren't changing trading power.

As JLB put it, he can rent a lot cheaper.

Last edited:

bilfbr245

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is certainly true that trading power has been substantially impacted. I have noticed numerous potential trades that I could have made last week now require more trading power than my deposits provide. Other trades consistent with what I have made in the past are also requiring more trading power.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Speaking of dog traders . . .

My 2010 Flagstaff (wk 12 - 2BR) deposit is a mere 14 points in the system.

In looking at my Kingsgate 3BR lockoff (wk 18), it appears it will be worth at a max . . . 11 (1BR), 13 (2BR) or 14 (3BR). Why on earth would I (or anyone) deposit it as a 3BR under this equation!?!?!? :(

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
A different view to the new RCI

I finally got in and chose the see entire RCI inventory. at 6:45 PM Eastern Standard Time I see 1051 Resorts and 57180 Units available. What are you seeing? Seems like there should be more.

Suzanne

DocPepsi

Reaction score
Former active Tugger JLB has posted his own example over at Timeshare Forums.

For 20 years, he has been regularly exchanging to one of a group of resorts in SW Florida in the winter, using one deposit plus an exchange fee. With RCI's changes to get an exchange to a lesser resort in the same area at the same time, he will need four deposits combined, and that is for a lesser resort. He calculated the cost of four m/f's, a combining fee, an exchange fee, and RCI membership at $2,758 for one week in a studio at a lesser resort than what he has been getting. Oh, and those four deposits he is referrring to are red 2BR GC's.

A situation like that is RCI moving the goalposts into the next county. They were telling a whopper when they claimed they weren't changing trading power.

As JLB put it, he can rent a lot cheaper.

Vacation Village Resorts are Red Gold Crown, and they have 2BRs, do they not. Owning at colossally oversupplied locations trying to get to something of value is just a broken system. Are you seriously telling me that you are advocating that? Even if that 'something of value' happens to just be a studio unit.

And by the way, i apologize to the owners of Vacation Village properties that may feel offended by this post. Using it as an example since I've been to their sales presentations in Orlando & South Florida, and know first hand of their aweful sales tactics.

mayson12

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like my Pono Kai 2BR varies quite a bit. The highest point value was week 52 for 36 points. 4th of July week only got 26 points. Thanksgiving week got 30. Planning to use my week, but interesting all the same.