• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Restaurant at Nanea any good?

mindy35

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
On the day we arrive at WKORV, we are too tired to cook. We love walking to dinner but have been disappointing by Dukes one too many times to return. The Italian as WKORV is just average.

Anyone try the Mauka Makai at Nanea?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I had a nice conversation with the chef, and they were able to make me something off menu which I appreciated. However, subsequent visits were not as good, with subpar service to the point one morning the hostess insulted my friend, and my friend insisted we leave without even sitting...which we did.

I suspect Maui is suffering from a lack of an adequate employee pool to hire from, and are hiring whomever they can. I had a conversation with a small business owner in Lahaina and she mentioned this problem, as well.

I find Auntie’s is still the best overall option at the Westin resorts. Good service, good food, and reasonable prices (for Maui).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We received the same poor service during our visit last month that Ken described.

The only one of the various Westin restaurants we have enjoyed repeatedly is the beach bar at WKORVN (Pailolo).

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Sometimes I think the wait staff gets tired of the arrogant attitude of the guests.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
They seem to have mixed reviews on both TripAdvisor and OpenTable.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Nanea just a few weeks ago. We didn't like the restaurant. We ate there once and chose not to return. I agree with vacationtime, I think nearly all of the Westin timeshare restaurants are subpar.

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd avoid it - unless you don't feel like going out. You'd be better off eating at the restaurant at WKORV-N, but that one is still a bit expensive for what it is... although sometimes I think they do have a Prix Fixe menu that is a good value.

Another option is taking the free shuttle into town and eating there. You'll find cheaper places with better food. At least that was the experience my wife and I had when we were there a few months ago. Also, if you're going to do a Luau, definitely go to the one at the Sheraton down the street. You can also use the free shuttle for that one! https://www.sheratonmauiluau.com/ Highly recommended!!!

Mulege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
WMH
WLM
We love CJs up the road on the way to Lahaina. A 15-20 minute walk or 5 minute drive.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the actual plates we were served when we ate at Mauka Makai last October. We really liked the meal, had fun, and will come back again. The servings looked attractive and tasted good. The chef came out to talk to us, and was friendly. The restaurant manager also happened by. All in all, a nice experience. Try their hibiscus margaritas.

We ate family-style, ordering several plates and sharing them between those at the table, so we all tried a little of each dish.

They have some "cooking classes" on certain days that are really one of their chefs showing the class how to make a few dishes. I think it is something like $20/person, but you get a few drinks and what I'd call heavy appetizers or very light plates, that are what the chef prepares in front of you. We enjoyed the activity earlier in 2018 but didn't get to it during our October visit. We didn't need dinner afterwards. They prepared island food, like poke, and served two or maybe 3 drinks. They prepared 4 or 5 dishes.

IMG_0377.jpeg
IMG_0378.jpeg
IMG_0379.jpeg
IMG_0380.jpeg

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We love CJs up the road on the way to Lahaina. A 15-20 minute walk or 5 minute drive.

I really enjoyed CJs for years until they confirmed they use frozen fish. Haven’t been back since.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I really enjoyed CJs for years until they confirmed they use frozen fish. Haven’t been back since.

Using frozen fish in Maui should be illegal! ;)

With that said, CJs is an excellent stop early in the morning if you're going on a Road to Hana trip yourself. You can eat breakfast while they pack your lunch for the trip. The lunch is excellent and is priced right.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Using frozen fish in Maui should be illegal! ;)

Exactly, and now that’s all I can think of every time I drive past it. With so many options, why go somewhere you know has frozen fish (and no view).

However, while we’re on this topic, it should be said they’re not the only restaurant using frozen fish. Castaway, at the resort just south of WKORV, is a favorite of mine for an occasional breakfast. I went there once for lunch and was told their fish tacos, which they said was excellent...is made from frozen fish. I hope they’ve changed since then, but somehow I doubt it.

Any others you know of that use frozen fish on Maui? We should have a list...

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Exactly, and now that’s all I can think of every time I drive past it. With so many options, why go somewhere you know has frozen fish (and no view).

However, while we’re on this topic, it should be said they’re not the only restaurant using frozen fish. Castaway, at the resort just south of WKORV, is a favorite of mine for an occasional breakfast. I went there once for lunch and was told their fish tacos, which they said was excellent...is made from frozen fish. I hope they’ve changed since then, but somehow I doubt it.

Any others you know of that use frozen fish on Maui? We should have a list...

When buying poké at grocery stores you need to ask! For what appeared to be the same poké there was one priced at $9.99/pound while the other was $11.99/pound. I asked about the difference and was told the less expensive version was made with frozen fish.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks are deceiving! :D

I’ve had fish like that at Mala’s and it is actually very good. It is a whole fish fried and served upright.

It is not catfish. It is a local fresh-caught fish whose name I forget.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
I ate at Mauka Makai in October 2017 and thought it was great! But that was when they first opened, so it sounds like things have gone downhill.

What kind of food are you looking for? We walked to that Times Market plaza once. I don't think there is anything fancy there, but there is a Pizza Paradiso that we sometimes go to (gluten free pizza).

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I ate at Mauka Makai in October 2017 and thought it was great! But that was when they first opened, so it sounds like things have gone downhill.

What kind of food are you looking for? We walked to that Times Market plaza once. I don't think there is anything fancy there, but there is a Pizza Paradiso that we sometimes go to (gluten free pizza).

As I stated earlier, we also ate at Mauka Makai in March 2018 and thought it was very good. We enjoyed it! And we also walked to and picked up pizza twice at Pizza Paradiso!

WahooWah

Reaction score
Looks are deceiving! :D

I’ve had fish like that at Mala’s and it is actually very good. It is a whole fish fried and served upright.

It is not catfish. It is a local fresh-caught fish whose name I forget.

It is normally served with Opakapaka, which is Pink Snapper. When they don't have Opakapaka, they use Onaga (Red Snapper) or Monchong (Sickle Pomfret)

I've had all three and they never disappoint. One of the best dishes on island. One of my friends took out the eye and ate it. Not my cup of tea.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the people in my party, who lives on Maui, also liked the eyes. Not my cup of tea either. However, the fish was great. Not "fishy" at all. Every time I've had it, it has been excellent. You're probably right about it being one of the best dishes on the island (for those of us that like seafood). It is served at other restaurants too. Do you know what the dish is called?

Mulege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
WMH
WLM

Thank goodness the eggs bacon and macadamia pancakes are fresh. I know we are there this week and I asked!

WahooWah

Reaction score
One of the people in my party, who lives on Maui, also liked the eyes. Not my cup of tea either. However, the fish was great. Not "fishy" at all. Every time I've had it, it has been excellent. You're probably right about it being one of the best dishes on the island (for those of us that like seafood). It is served at other restaurants too. Do you know what the dish is called?

I don't think there is a special name for it. At Mala, I think it is called Whole Wok Fried Fresh Fish. They also serve it next door at Honu. I haven't seen it served elsewhere on Maui, not to say that it isn't.

The Ahi Bruschetta pupu is a must have as well.

The founding chef/owner, Mark Ellman, sold Mala last Fall. I believe he still owns Honu and Frida's next door.