• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New US - Mexican travel warnings

dneveu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor, Marriott Shadow Ridge, Marriott Grand Chateau
Any anyone else seen these articles or have any information on these travel warnings released Wednesday? The article advises some places (like Jalisco / puerto Vallarta) now have a 3 travel warning (reconsider travel) but US the state department still has Mexico listed as an overall 2 travel warning (exercise increased caution).

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/mexican-states-us-travel-warning-52263785

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/0...ot-travel-warning-on-five-mexican-states.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...s-citizens-avoid-5-mexican-states/1023620001/

Thanks for any input.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We are leaving Saturday for 3 weeks in Cabo. These State Department Warnings have never caused us to change our plans.

WatsonC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert
I haven't traveled recently to the higher risk areas (as defined by US.Gov) [political comment removed] Also might get easier to get reservations in Mexico and maybe prices will drop...

Last edited by a moderator:

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've spent several weeks a year in Los Cabos for decades, and feel quite safe in our normal haunts, but times are changing. Since El Chapo was captured, the Sinaloa and New Generation cartels have been battling for turf, dominance, and control of the west coast drug corridor to the U.S. The federal police/military have stepped in to keep a lid on things, but the narco gangs have a lot of money and influence. Most of the violence is in the slums and residential areas of San Jose as gangs battle each other, but sometimes violence has spilled over to tourists areas. Just last month, to make a point that they "own" Baja and are not to be messed with, gangs hung bodies and "narcomantas" (banners with messages/warnings) from overpasses on the highways along the corridor between San Jose and Cabo San Lucas, and on the way to the airport. Disgusting, and certainly disturbing to anyone who saw them.

We're still planning on spending a month in Cabo this year, but sadly have no illusions that it is the sleepy big game fishing town, or untouchable upscale resort area it used to be. If tourists stop coming, many thousands of good people in the tourist industry will lose their jobs. It makes me angry and sad that drug users in the US funnel billions of dollars a year to these thugs in the Mexican drug cartels.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Just a note of thanks to TUGBrian for including this post in the weekly TUG newsletter, as well as to PamMo for her eloquent statement about the growing dangers of traveling to some Mexican resorts.

Past discussions of this nature on the Mexico forum have included a good deal of browbeating and shaming at the mere thought that State Department warnings should even be heard, much less considered. This needs to stop. For those who are experienced travelers to their favored resorts and feel as if they know where the safe and unsafe places are, that’s great. But please don’t shame others who either don’t have that experience, are more cautious, or are more willing to heed the warnings.

As PamMo so correctly stated, one thing all of us can agree on is that the safety of travelers to Mexico—as well as Mexican citizens—is sadly compromised by the massive flow of billions of drug dollars from the U.S. to these drug thugs who have such a low regard for human life or quality of life.

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were just in Cabo at the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica. We had a lovely time. We arrived the day after the hangings over the bridges. I must admit that scared us and we did not explore Cabo. The one day we left the resort to downtown Cabo, we went with the resort’s shuttle to their downtown resort. Downtown Cabo is not that nice compared to other Mexican towns. Overall, we prefer the Mexican Riviera, Cozumel and Puerto Vallarta over Cabo. However, within the gated compound of Pueblo Bonito Pacifica, Sunset Beach and Montecristo Estates, you never have to leave anyway. It is a self contained resort and their Spanish architecture is beautiful at Sunset Beach and Montecristo. We stayed in a 1 bedroom oceanview suite in the modern “hotel” Towers at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Adults Only. It was one of the most relaxing vacations we have had in a long time. No one bugged us, even though we did attend the timeshare presentation for 3 hours to get $400 off our bill. It was no pressure and very informative. The staff at Pueblo Bonito are lovely. The restaurants were pretty good for an all inclusive. The pricing was great since we got a promo and pre-paid for everything in advance, then got $400 off the final bill. We have been to Mexico 4 times in 2017 and we are going again at the end of this month. We have not had problems. I hope it continues to be safe in the tourist areas. All these warnings are influencing where we go when we are in Mexico and making us very cautious about how we travel while in Mexico. We also arrange our transportation to/from the resort in advance to avoid the timeshare people as well as taxi drivers we don’t know.

Last edited:

rpoyourow

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from Mazatlan over New Year's where we have traveled over the past 28 years. Several years ago, there was some police presence. This year, there was no police presence. We felt completely safe traveling to all the haunts we usually frequent.

We asked several friends, some of the locals and some of the resort staff about local conditions. They replied that the local police presence was unnecessary, since much of the reported troubles were limited to the rural areas and the areas around Culiacan, 120 miles to the north. That there had been no incidents locally in a long time, and that tourists were never involved (except once well outside of the center of Mazatlan and then only by accident). They were more ocncerned last year about gas prices and the rising prices of commodities.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We were just in Cabo at the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica. We had a lovely time. .....We have been to Mexico 4 times in 2017 and we are going again at the end of this month. ...We also arrange our transportation to/from the resort in advance to avoid the timeshare people ....

IMO - Timeshare Sales People are your " big risk " when travelling to resort areas in Mexico .

Personally - I think a flying truck tire through my windshield in Canada ;is more likely to get me ;than accidentally being a cartel statistic while on vacation

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in Mazatlan now, not at a resort, but in a historic hotel in the center. The city has never looked better. It is undergoing a 4 year refurbishment of streets, lighting, New walkways, the new salt water swimming pool, and on and on. There is less police presence, but it is still visible if one looks. As to the State Dept advisories, like travel anywhere. Be aware of your surroundings and be prepared to leave an area of you feel uncomfortable with your security.

C'mon down. The water's fine!

Jim

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, that's great news about Maz. I love the old center of town - have dreamt about living in one of those gorgeous old homes with the interior courtyards! We hope to get back down there next winter.

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We were in PV for 3 weeks in November and will be at the Grand Bliss Riviera Maya for 2 weeks in April. We will drive to a condo in the Rosarito-Ensenada area for a month this summer and will go to PV again in November.

We have driven to Mazatlán 8 times in the last 9 years with no issues. We stop in San Carlos on the way. We have not had any problems. We do drive on the toll road because it is faster and safer.

We do not go out at night unless with others or using taxis and have always felt safe. We live in the greater PHX area and do not go out at night here either. We always try to be aware of our surroundings no matter where we are. The tourist areas in any Mexico town are generally safe.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We were in PV for 3 weeks in November and will be at the Grand Bliss Riviera Maya for 2 weeks in April. We will drive to a condo in the Rosarito-Ensenada area for a month this summer and will go to PV again in November.

We have driven to Mazatlán 8 times in the last 9 years with no issues. We stop in San Carlos on the way. We have not had any problems. We do drive on the toll road because it is faster and safer.

We do not go out at night unless with others or using taxis and have always felt safe. We live in the greater PHX area and do not go out at night here either. We always try to be aware of our surroundings no matter where we are. The tourist areas in any Mexico town are generally safe.
It's not safe to go out at night in Goodyear?

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
From your link (Mexico News Daily | Wednesday, January 10, 2018), The U.S. Department of State said :
A Level 4: Do not travel warning was issued for five states: Colima, Guerrero, Michoacán, Sinaloa and Tamaulipas, including the tourist destinations of Acapulco and Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo in Guerrero and Mazatlán in Sinaloa.

and the Government of Canada said (https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/mexico):
Last updated: January 10, 2018 08:49 ET
Still valid: January 13, 2018 16:42 ET
Northern states - Avoid non-essential travel

Avoid non-essential travel to the following northern states due to high levels of violence, linked mainly to organized crime:
  • Chihuahua
  • Coahuila (except the city of Saltillo)
  • Durango
  • Nuevo León (except the city of Monterrey)
  • Sinaloa (except the city of Mazatlán)
  • Sonora (except the cities of Hermosillo and Guaymas/San Carlos)
  • Tamaulipas.
Exercise a high degree of caution in the cities that are excluded from the above advisory.

Western states - Avoid non-essential travel
Avoid non-essential travel to the western states of Guerrero (including Acapulco but excluding the cities of Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo and Taxco) and Michoacán (excluding the city of Morelia) due to the high levels of violence and organized crime.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
It's not safe to go out at night in Goodyear?

Goodyear is fine - actually very safe, but when we moved to the Phoenix area 11 years ago, we decided not to venture out at night as it was new to us and we had been retired 5 years. Besides, as retirees, we like to skip lunch and eat around 3:00. Three meals a day is overated. I personally seldom drive once it is dark. But, as my Dad used to tell me - be extra careful when it is dark and not much good happens after midnight (probably why I had a 11:00 curfew as a teen).

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I agree - always good to have a good discussion. I find it difficult to have folks like my dad (who has never been to Mexico and is proud of it!!), telling me that I don't know what I am talking about. We have visited different resort cities in Mexico, know where we feel comfortable and where we don't, and adjust our travels accordingly. My husband used to travel to Reynoso for work. Now that's a crazy place to go! We live less than an hour from Tijuana and hate to say between traffic at the border and safety concerns, we stay out. But we have friends who go into Tijuana regularly, so my personal choice is different than theirs.

We were in Cabo in July (no issues) and are headed to Cozumel in May. I feel safe within the hotel complexes. We never hike in Mexico - just don't feel good about that. We have eaten in town, but I've never found an amazing restaurant so if we have to stay onsite, we're ok with that too. I read the Gringo Gazette and Tripadvisor for threads posted by expats. I also take the State Department warnings into consideration.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, that's great news about Maz. I love the old center of town - have dreamt about living in one of those gorgeous old homes with the interior courtyards! We hope to get back down there next winter.
That's where we are, in the Melville (as in Herman- he wrote here) Boutique Hotel. It's a block from Plazuela Machaco, and Olas Altas beach the other way. Turns out it's a community of short term ex- pats here escaping Winter. There are mature palms, bouganvillas, caged birds, and a big fountain in the courtyard. It's a little loud with music on the weekends, but at least it's very good music. We have classical concerts coming up tomorrow and next weekend. I'm off to tuck into some more shrimp.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
The US has changed its way of communicating advisories for travel. You need to read very carefully as if not you mistake areas in a given state that are just fine as not being so also some of the advisories apply to DFederal or geovernement personnel, not the avergare tourist.

I was in PV, and NV, in November, Guadalajara the other day, now in Lake Chapala area. Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo in may and Mazatalan in October and as an aside Mazatlan has never looked so good!

Use common sense when traveling anywhere. I am more nervous and afraid of many places in the US than here in Mexico, there are no school shootings here, no mall shootings, so on and on..If you are nervous of outside country travel then vbest to stay in US. Nothing that can be said my govermenment or folks here that wil change anyone's mind where they themselves feel safe.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I decided to go to the source of the information instead of the media digested/regurgitated version and of course the link doesn't work https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-advisory.html (hopefully this will work eventually)
because according to the link in post 13, the tourist areas in Los Cabos and Quintana Roo are fine for travel, as is Tijuana, which seems to contradict the headlines and articles linked in post 1.
This link works;

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr.../traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

gypsygirl1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've travelled to Mexico 5 times in the past 2 years. We've been to Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta and Isla Mujeres. The travel warnings mentioned the state of Quintana Roo originally but Cozumel and Isla are incredibly safe. There were some real problems in Playa del Carmen and Cancun in the last year or so. Acapulco and Mazatlan have been "iffy" for years though I know divers who still go there. I wouldn't venture there, though expats that live there say that most of the areas to avoid are on the edges of town where there are gangs etc. There are cities in the US that are very dangerous too. No matter where you travel, don't get drunk, be watchful and follow the rules. We never rent a car in Mexico - we always walk all over or take a cab or bus. If you're in Cozumel, try Gordito's Burritos, Celito Lindo, the restaurant at the top of the Museum and the Las Palmeras near the ferry dock downtown. All very yummy places to eat!

Last edited:

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
We've travelled to Mexico 5 times in the past 2 years. We've been to Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta and Isla Mujeres. The travel warnings mentioned the state of Quintana Roo originally but Cozumel and Isla are incredibly safe. There were some real problems in Playa del Carmen and Cancun in the last year or so. Acapulco and Mazatlan have been "iffy" for years though I know divers who still go there. I wouldn't venture there, though expats that live there say that most of the areas to avoid are on the edges of town where there are gangs etc. There are cities in the US that are very dangerous too. No matter where you travel, don't get drunk, be watchful and follow the rules. We never rent a car in Mexico - we always walk all over or take a cab or bus. If you're in Cozumel, try Gordito's Burritos, Celito Lindo, the restaurant at the top of the Museum and the Las Palmeras near the ferry dock downtown. All very yummy places to eat!

Why don’t you ever rent a car in Mexico? Are there safety issues with driving in Mexico? Or some other reason? I am going to Cancun soon and we were wondering about renting a car or not.