• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New US - Mexican travel warnings

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Interesting list of murder rates by world cities. St Louis #14 and Baltimore #26 are higher than most Mexican cities and among the highest in the world! Brazil has more deadly cities than Mexico. USA has 4 out of 50 of the deadliest cities in the world. Chicago is not in the top 50, though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_murder_rate

Number of cities by country represented in the tableCountryNo. of cities
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
Brazil19
23px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png
Mexico8
23px-Flag_of_Venezuela.svg.png
Venezuela7
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States4
23px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png
Colombia4
23px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png
South Africa3
23px-Flag_of_Honduras.svg.png
Honduras2
23px-Flag_of_El_Salvador.svg.png
El Salvador1
23px-Flag_of_Guatemala.svg.png
Guatemala1
23px-Flag_of_Jamaica.svg.png
Jamaica1

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

What is the murder rate per capita in Mexico vs Syria? You can’t compare total numbers.[/QUOTE]

In 2017 there were 25,000 humans killed in Mexico from violent activities. In 2017 there were 11,300 humans killed from violent activities in Syria. Those are the total numbers. Are you saying that because Mexico has a higher population that explains 25,000 murders ? Maybe, but 25,000 murders using mostly small weapons seems huge.

http://www.iamsyria.org/death-tolls.html

I have been a big Mexico supporter through out the years and still do not think there is a real danger of violence to tourists in general, but if the gang activity that took over Acapulco spreads, all the resort towns will end up like Acapulco, imo. It wasn't violence to tourist that took Acapulco off the resort destination. It was gangs extorting the businesses and killing business people and other gang members that made Acapulco a non-tourist destination.

Bill

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Delete

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
25,000 is a lot of murders. So is 18,000 murders. That is how many murders there were in the USA. So if we go by total numbers, the USA is almost up there with Mexico and far surpasses Syria!

Not really. Mexico with a smaller population is ranked 2nd in the world regarding murder rates. The USA is ranked 9th in the world regarding murder rates and the difference between these rates regarding Mexico and the USA is Mexico has 5 times higher the amount of murder with a smaller population.

The only good thing I can think of is that the Mexicans are not targeting tourists with the exception of petty crimes. This was the first year in Mexico that I could feel a difference in attitudes of the local businesses where there is an anti USA sentiment because of political rhetoric, imo. To those that read this, please keep your political views out of this thread.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Mexico/United-States/Crime/Violent-crime

STAT
Mexico
United States
HISTORY

Gun crime > Guns per 100 residents 15
Ranked 40th. 88.8 Ranked 1st. 6 times more than Mexico
Intentional homicide rate 15
Ranked 1st. 3 times more than United States 4.7
Ranked 7th.
Murder rate 25,757
Ranked 2nd. 98% more than United States 12,996
Ranked 9th.
Murder rate per million people 218.49
Ranked 17th. 5 times more than United States 42.01
Ranked 43th.
Murders 25,757
Ranked 2nd. 98% more than United States 12,996
Ranked 9th.
Murders per million people 218.49
Ranked 17th. 5 times more than United States 42.01
Ranked 43th.

Last edited:

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Using per capita as the measurement was exactly my point!

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
If the USA ranks in the top 10 for murders per capita, that is not exactly an honor - unless we want to be in the top 10 murder capitals in the world. As a peace loving person, it is embarrassing to see the USA ranks in the top 10. I wish we were in the top 10 for education and healthcare and well being.

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
There were over 25,000 murders in Mexico last year. That does seem like a very high number. I'm not certain how many tourists get caught up in the violence but its probably some. I haven't seen the violence personally, but I do know of a few people that were related to, or friends of, people I know very well, that were victims of violence. So it does happen.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ence-after-record-25000-murders-idUSKBN1FH0W2

Bill

About 100 years ago - 1910 - 1920 ( the period called - The Mexican Revolution) the population of Mexico was 15 million and it is estimated over a million were killed and up to a million
moved (mostly north) as refugees .
The Cristero battles/ war in the late 1920's probably resulted in 90,000 deaths .

There is some suggestion that the current murder rate is closer to the historic 20th century "norm " .

Mexico statistically also has a younger population than the USA . I have read studies suggesting murder rates decline as (male) population ages .
As best I can tell approx 21% is male 18-44 / while the USA is !8 % . This is about 15% greater .

Every murder around the world is a tragedy
(All) countries have murders ; and why rates vary from one place to another is complex ( to say the least )

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We are 2.5 weeks into our 3 week stay in San Jose del Cabo. We have also spent 2 days up in La Paz. Whale Shark season. Also spent a day in Cabo San Lucas. We have not encountered any negative attitude from any of the Locals. They have all been friendly and helpful.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I only noticed the anti USA sentiment in Puerto Vallarta and it was only at a few places. There were t shirts with vulgar political messages to Americans and other items of this nature, worn and for sale at the flea markets in PV. I didn't see this type of merchandise in Bucerias or the other smaller cities we visited. I did get a bad vibe in PV. Bad enough to leave shortly after sunset.

Bill

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I only noticed the anti USA sentiment in Puerto Vallarta and it was only at a few places. There were t shirts with vulgar political messages to Americans and other items of this nature, worn and for sale at the flea markets in PV.

Bill

Best T - shirt I have seen was in Puerto Penasco / Rocky Point about 4 years ago

"Hey Gringo - I'm legal here "

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best T - shirt I have seen was in Puerto Penasco / Rocky Point about 4 years ago

"Hey Gringo - I'm legal here "
Saw one recently in Mazatlan: "The FUN side of the WALL"

Zinjanthropus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Myan Palace, Orange lake Country Club
I only noticed the anti USA sentiment in Puerto Vallarta and it was only at a few places. There were t shirts with vulgar political messages to Americans and other items of this nature, worn and for sale at the flea markets in PV. I didn't see this type of merchandise in Bucerias or the other smaller cities we visited. I did get a bad vibe in PV. Bad enough to leave shortly after sunset.

Bill
It's a perverse hobby of mine to seek anti US slogans and political messages when I'm abroad. It's good to discover what people are really thinking. I remember the protests in France against the gigantic US entertainment conglomerates, and also the fast food joints... (A poster of Colonel Sanders forcing greasy chicken parts down a French girl's throat) I remember the anti US posters and graffiti in Panama in the late 80s and in Grenada after Maurice Bishop's assassination and in Haiti during our backing of the Duvalier regime.

What vulgar political messages did you see in PV?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
What vulgar political messages did you see in PV?
Since we don't post or discuss political messages on TUG, please don't post any--vulgar or otherwise!:)

Zinjanthropus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Myan Palace, Orange lake Country Club
Oops, I didn't mean post the Vulgar statements...just the gist of the thing. And I do think the level of disdain is germane to the conversation of safety in Mex. Speaking of the level of disdain only gets political when an opinion of them is expressed...right?
..but no problem, will follow the rules.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Saw one recently in Mazatlan: "The FUN side of the WALL"
We saw those in PV too! But, everyone was friendly and helpful to us (maybe because they respect their elders!).

We are spending about 12 weeks in Mexico this year - Riviera Maya for 2 weks in April - Rosarito Beach/Ensenada area mid-July-mid-August, and then PV again for 25 days in November/early December. We would not go if we did not feel safe and welcome. We generally go out in the daylight hours and are respectful of the people we meet and tip generously to those who serve us in any way.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We saw those in PV too! But, everyone was friendly and helpful to us (maybe because they respect their elders!).

We are spending about 12 weeks in Mexico this year - Riviera Maya for 2 weks in April - Rosarito Beach/Ensenada area mid-July-mid-August, and then PV again for 25 days in November/early December. We would not go if we did not feel safe and welcome. We generally go out in the daylight hours and are respectful of the people we meet and tip generously to those who serve us in any way.
I wish we had more time to spend there but DW plays in symphony here, and that's a winter thing. So we only were free from after the holidays until rehearsals start again for Spring- Early Feb. She feels her seat is not 'secure', and neither of us really want to go alone. Read my sad and scary tale in post #33. It was related to me by the victim's neighbor. Like you, we feel absolutely comfortable, and wouldn't go if we didn't. We hope the Federales can get a handle on the cartels, but unless/until demand dries up, the producers will produce.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
If you want to see anti-USA sentiment, you do not need to go to Mexico. Just speak to anyone in the world especially the Europeans. They absolutely hate USA right now! USA is a laughing stock around the world. I am surprised at how kind the Mexicans are, given how terrible people in the USA talk about them and treat them.

I am a member of a professional group that was supposed to hold its annual conference in Washington DC. The European members protested and the organization moved it to Amsterdam. The rationale was due to the travel ban and immigration policies, the USA is not allowing people into our country without hassling. I defended the USA and said we aren’t all racists but I was a small voice in the group and lost.

Since May 2017, I have been to Mexico on separate 5 trips: Cancun/Riviera Maya (1 trip), Cozumel (1 trip), Puerto Vallarta (2 trips) and Cabo (1 trip). Plus we travel all over the world too. The worst thing that happened to me in Mexico during this time is I fell off a bicycle and the Mexicans helped me and took me to the paramedics.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am surprised at how kind the Mexicans are, given how terrible people in the USA talk about them and treat them.

The worst thing that happened to me in Mexico during this time is I fell off a bicycle and the Mexicans helped me and took me to the paramedics.

We just returned from our first trip to Mexico (Cancun). One of the best things about the trip was the Mexican people. I know most folks that we encountered were in the service and hospitality industry; but we haven't experienced such a level of warmth and graciousness by all we met while on vacation. It was truly surprising, as you say, given the way they are talked about and treated by many people in the USA. Cancun was very nice, but our experiences with the people would be what would entice us to go back. :)

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
We just returned from our first trip to Mexico (Cancun). One of the best things about the trip was the Mexican people. I know most folks that we encountered were in the service and hospitality industry; but we haven't experienced such a level of warmth and graciousness by all we met while on vacation. It was truly surprising, as you say, given the way they are talked about and treated by many people in the USA. Cancun was very nice, but our experiences with the people would be what would entice us to go back. :)
This has always been our experience traveling to Mexico as well. The people are just so nice and truly appreciative for visitors. What upsets me most with the (politically motivated??) travel advisories coming from some agency in Washington is how it negatively affects the hard-working people in Mexico.

Kurt

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
When I tell the local Mexicans I live in California, they rave about it. However, when I asked if they are interested in visiting the USA, they usually say they no longer have interest in coming to the USA. My last driver said that many Mexicans were unnecessarily hassled on flights from Cancun to Miami last year during the travel ban and held in the airport. He said word got around and Mexicans are avoiding the USA. He said many Europeans and South Americans are now traveling to Mexico instead of the USA now because they do not want to support our government. He said Mexican tourism is still 80% Americans but I did not run into many Americans in the Cancun/Riviera Maya area on this trip. Or the Americans blended in so well I did not notice them. I heard more Spanish spoken (I speak Spanish so this is comfortable for me) and saw more middle class and upper middle class Mexicans traveling locally than tourists.

I read that tourism to USA was down at least 4% in 2017. I noticed my flight to Cancun was full but my flight from Cancun to Miami and Miami to SFO were unfilled. I even changed my flight on AA from Cancun to Miami at the last minute for $112 total one way.

rpennisi

Reaction score
From my experience traveling to Mexico in the winter (especially January) is that most tourists are either from the northern middle of the US or are from Canada.
I agree the people of Mexico are friendly, hardworking and never threatening. No surprise that they don't feel welcome in the US of late.