• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New York Pass - Anybody have recent experience ? Worth it ?

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
Hi All

I will be in NYC for a week at HCNY October 17-23rd. I have read both terrible reviews and rave reviews of the NY Pass. Primarily, it is merely to pre-pay for the ticket, and you need to stand in line for the ticket, then stand in line for the attraction. Also, that you need to go to Madame Tussaud's to get a paper ticket first, which needs to be gotten with a print out of your voucher. That might be for groupon buyers only. In any case - anyone have some experience they can share ? I'd probably get the 3 day pass and use it Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. I have a Metro card and fine using public transport between sites, rather than wait for hop on hop off bus which is only valid for one day in any case.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've gotten them for other cities; we live just outside NYC and I worked in Manhattan for many years.

With the City Passes for other cities, we thought they were more trouble than they were worth.

In the case of New York...are those particular sights definitely what you would want to see in New York? Realistically, will you go to all of them? I would really think about how many you will see and then add up the at-the-door costs. And don't take their word for how much admission costs--you need to go to each website and see what the costs really are for individuals in your group.

The other problem is that many people and groups buy City Passes, so the attractions on the passes end up being mobbed by tourists. Last time we went to the Museum of Natural History, the lines were unbelievable. It was many, many people with City Passes, waiting to get in.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
thanks for the input - There are several things I'd like to do, but concerned about the reviews with the lines being out of control, making the amount of places to get to less than I imagine. Things like "top of the rock", which I ordinarily wouldn't pay much for, would be worthwhile if it was easy in and included. I think I'll pass this time on the pass.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We used groupon and viator for discounts on some NYC attractions. I really enjoyed the Lower Manhattan walking ghost tour. It ends at a bar made famous by George Washington. It was my favorite activity while we were there.

Bill

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, Groupon has some nice activities in New York. But they also have some things that are about the same price if you just book through the regular websites.

BTW, Costco has had some tickets for attractions in cities we've visited, and their prices were actually very good. I would check there for tickets and see what they have for you.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We took several "free" walking tours, both historical and food oriented. Just don't not show up or you'll get blacklisted. We went the complete wrong direction and missed our tour one day a couple years ago. No smart phones at the time, so no way to find the tour when we got turned back around. When we got back to our computers at the end of the day, our final tour had been canceled, but we already had an email from that tour guide so we fessed up to missing a tour, and he said go ahead and come. Believe me, a guide who works for tips, and knows his stuff, wants Cliff on his tour!

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
We haven't used the pass, but wanted to suggest a visit to the Jekll and Hyde Club. This is a really fun place especially if you have kids with you. It's a haunted restaurant, and my kids really liked the special effects.