• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Zealand volcano webcam captures tourists in crater moments before eruption

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I did not hear about this until the evening news tonight. How frightening! I can't imagine why they didn't heed the rumblings that started last week and keep people off the island.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Richard, thanks for sharing this very tragic story.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
I recall that a few years ago, a ferry to White Island caught fire but I am uncertain if there were casualities from that incident.
When we in NZ on a 10 day land trip of the North Island, followed by a 14 night cruise from Auckland to Sydney, I had investigated whether a trip to White Island was workable for us but decided there were too many other areas worth exploring, especially considering the time and logistics to get there.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Very sad ending for what might have been part of a journey of a life time for some of the tourists that got caught on the island. Thanks for the links, Richard.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Royal Caribbean passengers hurt in New Zealand volcano eruption: is the cruise line liable?.
Probably not. The decision to go/no go would be up to the contractor who provides the excursion. It's also unclear if these passengers booked the excursion through the cruise line, or privately. We often book shore excursions privately using the same outfitters the cruise line contracts with.

Our thoughts and prayer are with those injured people. This reinforces that 'adventure travel' is NOT a Disney ride. Stuff happens.

Jim

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Royal Caribbean passengers hurt in New Zealand volcano eruption: is the cruise line liable?.

Interesting which media source is headlining the issue of liability and whether the cruise line should be blamed for this tragic accident.

Police in NZ have already said they will be looking into whether or not anyone should have known it was unsafe. Let's let the investigation do its job before we go looking for someone to immediately blame. As Jim says, sometimes stuff just happens, and we are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Way too early to judge the situation here. Quite unseemly, IMO. :rolleyes:

Our focus right now should be on the victims and their families. Many are still struggling to survive. That's where our thoughts and prayers belong for now.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This BBC article gives quite a bit of background about the island and volcano...