• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie Diamond Resorts Buyers-HELP please

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I promise I will post our final call, if the Tuggers promise to be happy:) or at least not mean .I know we can get the deal later, that is for sure.

No one here is being mean to you. But it is frustrating for experienced owners to stand by and watch you make a big $$$ mistake. No one in this thread, not even the DRI owners, said this was a good deal.

One more time: If you rescind now, it will give you unlimited time to research timesharing with no pressure. Then, if you still want to buy from the developer - you can. But then you will be making an informed decision. Right now you are being influenced by what a sales person told you.

The salesperson just wants your money.

But all the people in this thread who have taken the time to respond have YOUR BEST INTEREST in mind.

Who are you going to believe?

Don't do it - rescind and take your time to make an informed decision! You have nothing to lose by rescinding and everything to gain.

Last edited:

greeneyes07

Reaction score
Sorry about my "mean"' comment, any advice given now is well intentioned not mean no matter how harsh. I asked for advice, and I am getting loads of it. Thank you all, sincerely!! What I meant by mean( as I wrote )was AFTER if we decided to go retail w/ Diamond.Then it would be less useful. Right now it is ALL relevant, sorry I did not make that clear. I have also done loads of research on other timeshares over the past few days with my husband so we have a much better idea than we did a week ago.

Thank you nightnurse for your vote of confidence on going w/ Diamond resale-its good to know one person succeeded getting in w/ them resale. 18,000 pts would carry a bigger maintenence fee of like $2000 though would it not? For us right now having 6-8,000 seems perfect.

VERY interesting that the 13 month reservation advance IN collection only applies to your yearly pt level! So if we save for 2 years, we still cannot reserve over 2,500 pts in our collection 13 mos. in advance? That is good to know! That's what they call a "loophole" for sure!

Here is my biggest worry of just renting timeshare weeks 2bd units thru private parties not big company- we show up all 6 of us and somebody goofed or misrepresented and we are S O Of Luck. If you knew my family you would know that vacations might not happen again for a LOOOONG time.( We have a somewhat "special needs "kid emotionally.)Trust me.

I am learning much about timeshares, esp. resale, but please learn from me we are not all cut out for the uncertainty of private transaction. I have sold a bunch (real estate, vehicles) privately this past few years. The individual is capable of far more insanity while the corporation is capable of far more deception,IMO. Buying private weeks carries more risk every year than a one time TS resale.

I will have my husband read ALL your input, so he can help us sort this out.

Picker57

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Greeneyes - Since you're still in 'information acquisition' mode, you might browse Tom Tubbs' website, www.timesharestogo.com. Besides a lot of listings, he has some excellent additional information, including what used to be called "Timeshares 101". It's good stuff. Also, browse eBay to see all that's for sale there....and note the prices. And don't get too caught up in that "club" stuff. Buy a good property, book it early, then bank it with SFX or the like. Lots of stuff to digest, true, but lots of time to get back in the game - with full benefits - after you rescind.

I agree with the consensus, that you're paying a lot of money for not enough points to do much with.

Best of luck,

Zach Kaplan

psalm150

Reaction score
I can't believe you are considering keeping this thing

I will have my husband read ALL your input, so he can help us sort this out.

Dear greeneyes,

Be a good wife to your husband and tell him not to make this huge mistake.
There is way too much money involved and the only winner in this will be the developer if you decide to keep this contract.
Think about YOUR CHILDREN! Think about all the FOOD and GAS you could buy with the thousands of dollars you will give away for this timeshare.
Really, think about the VACATIONS you can have with the huge amount of money you will save!
(have you seen the cost of food and gas lately?????)

To have had this good, no EXCELLENT, advice from the kind and knowledgeable people on this website would have saved my husband and me a whole LOT of money when we bought from a developer years ago.

GIVE THIS CONTRACT BACK, girl, GIVE IT BACK.

Ken Maurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
... In order to utilize the 13 month reservation window, you must own enough US Collection points for the reservation.

I've got 8,500 points with DRI in the Hawaii Collection, and recently picked up two mainland property resales (15,000 points each) on TUG. I had absolutely no problem getting recorded deeds on either of them. The only problem I've had is in getting them added into "The Club", which I'm going to try to do when I'm at The Summit later this year. Based on your first post, I expect to get much better results face-to-face than the party line I get over the phone. (No bleepin' way am I going to pay $22K to avoid having to do II or RCI exchanges and get their "concierge" service.) Thanks.

One minor point regarding your second post is that, is that due to some quirk of DRI, both the Summit at Sedona and the Polo Towers Villas in Las Vegas are in the Hawaii Collection, not the US as one would expect.

Back to the original question. The only real advantage of getting into "The Club" is free exchanges within their properties and affiliates. If greeneyes7 and her family intend to spend most of their time at the Summit, then they absolutely and unconditionally should bail out immediately and pick up a week or two in a two bedroom unit there for less than their "deal" from DRI. I paid a total of about $5K for the two properties I just picked up, a 2-bedroom and a 4-bedroom, both during prime weeks, even paying an agent to handle the transfers and deeds in both cases.

Cary

Reaction score
My wife and I have 3 deeded timeshare weeks. We have been trading to the Sedona area for 3 years from the small resorts we own at. We have been through many RCI timeshare point sales presentations. We believe in deeded property and have always been able to trade to the resorts we have requested. We recently, in May, last month 2011 found a deeded week 21, a prime spring/summer week at Breezy Point, Mn for only $400. We were also able to use the week this year. We found this deeded week here at TUG.

[Link deleted - you are not permitted to post a link to your commercial website on TUG. - DeniseM Moderator]

I would cancel immediately sending everything back to the resort or where ever they request by c
ertified mail.

Last edited by a moderator:

garyk01

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmont Hot Springs Resort Mountainside , Fairmont BC Canada, Indian Palms Intervals , Indio CA
Timeshare owning

I own over 20 timeshares and you need to see what is out there and price things out. If you would like my advice as to what i look for, send me a email with your phone number and ill call you as to what i look for and how i manage them

Garyk01@hotmail.com

Gary

d2r4s

Reaction score
answer

this is a good deal if you want to add points later and do some other things, its a bad deal by itself as it will get you little advantage when it comes to trading in the Diamond System without other point or a time share some place else to add ponts to what you have.

A friend just gave me his 2500 because he realized it was bad deal and I added to my account where I have a lot of points.:ponder:

Newtoshare

TUG Member
Reaction score
Follow the advice of the majority..

Hi Greeneyes,

I am new to timeshares as well and found TUG when I was looking at getting into the market approx. 2 months ago. I've wanted one for a while and am also anxious to purchase our first timeshare. That being said, I also want to make sure I make a decision I will not regret. We also have 4 kids and a standard hotel room is no longer an option for us either.

There is so much to learn that I would also advise you to rescind just to make sure that you make the best personal and financial choice for your family. There is so much to learn that you owe it to yourselves to educate yourself before jumping in. What do you have to lose? You can always decide to purchase the same thing once you come to the table knowing what your options are.

Personally, I was initially looking at buying a specific timeshare for $10-15K. Thankfully, I found TUG before I purchased anything. I have now researched previous sales of what I was looking to buy and have seen (recent) sales as low as $1K. I've also learned about some other options that I would have never know about.

If you can do what you want for less, why not do so? You could always put the balance of money in savings for your kids' college... believe me, I know, 4 is a lot.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Beware...

Greeneyes07, be very careful of anyone with just a few posts on TUG trying to assist you personally. Beware that there are salespeople who read these posts as well and are looking to scam you too.

I know one would say who to trust, but history is a good teacher and you can read their history on this site.

freddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cancel

Cancel immediately and check out the RESALES per a reputable big name timeshare real estate agency. Guaranteed you'll pay less, but more importantly, you'll have some time to do your due diligence by reading about timeshares, points, DRI, II, etc. Then decide what you want to do without the pressure. Just cancel immediately.

PeelBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK. One more time from me - a 13 year Diamonds Club member.

What are the advantages of being a Club member. If you buy resale, you are not a Club member, unless you buy more points direct from Diamonds with conditions to add your resale into Club membership.

There are 2 advantages of being a Club member:

1. Access to 100+ resort (now they have more so I don't know how many exactly) especially their resorts in Europe, without exchange fee at 10 months out.

2. Access to II with lower points requirement and Getaway Vacation (a week for cash). For example, you need 6500 points for a one bedroom in Sedona Summit but will get a two bedroom via II.

Both will not satisfy your needs. Given your family of 6 and a tight budget, travel to Europe or the East coast is impossible for now.

If you are interested in travling in Arizona only for now, pick up a resale US Collection for 10000 points. You have to pay more MF but the money you saved this time will offset the additional annual fees.

Tuggers are interested in maximizing our benefits. You are lucky you found this website to receive lots of excellent advice.

Cancel it now. If you still want the same deal two months later after doing your due diligence reading this site, you can go back to the same salesperson, who will cut a even better deal for you.

I know Diamonds extremely well. I love Diamonds but if I had an opportunity to re-do it, I will purchase a resale US Collection.

Even better for you is purchase a summer week in a hot spot, e.g. SoCal or Myrtle Beach at a low annual fee and exchange through II. For $800 per year, you will have like two weeks of vacation in a two bedroom nice unit. Nowadays, resale is like free, so I never factor in the initial investment, which is only a few hundred dollars for closing.

Last edited:

PeelBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more thing: 2500 points is a bigger mistake than buying directly from Diamonds. You will get almost nothing for 2500 points, except a few days a week or last minute booking. A healthy number for a beginner is like 6500 to 10000 points.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Greeneyes - a quick question.

What did the salesman tell you the annual fees would be for the 2500 points?

I ask the question because the sales people sometimes "forget" to include the annual trust fee when they present the costs.

Per this post, in the US collection the trust fee is a flat $460/year (that fee is independent of the points) and the resort fees are $0.114 per point.

Using those numbers a 2500 point contract will have $285 in resort fees, but with the trust fee that would $745. And 60% of what you pay will simply be trust overhead!!! And if you join the DRI club, you will have a an added Club fee on top of that!!!

That is a big reason why those small 2500 point contracts are toxic. They simply are not cost effective because owners of those units end up paying mostly overhead charges. They are a horrible deal, with the owners of those small ownerships effectively paying 2x to 3x more per point in total annual cost than the people who 10,000 to 20,000 point (or more) contracts.

GTStone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Confusing Responses ?

:cheer:

There are some people here who will tell you, often with lots of not so nice labels, to never buy retail. Remember, if no one ever bought timeshares retail, there would not be any properties, and the resale market would not exist !

I'm not saying all deals are good ! Maybe the one you bought is not right. However, perhaps my scenario will help.

I own a fixed summer week across from the beach in Southern California. It is a 2 bedroom unit. I never trade it. My cost ... about $ 15K. The maintenance fee is higher then many, but its by the water and that means it requires more maintenance because salt water is corrosive. This is a very nice resort, and people all enjoy staying there. I bought it retail and have no regrets. I've never seen a unit there for "super cheap" resale.

I bought a 2nd week there for its points values. Its floating and cost me a bit less. I get roughly 69,000 RCI points. I can usually trade those for about two, or more, weeks of time in the RCI system. I often get shorter stays ( 3 to 5 days ).

I book through RCI. Sometimes its frustrating, sometimes its OK. There are fees, and they do offer a lot of inexpensive last chance opportunities. With all of the competing programs, inventory can be limited. We have little flexibility for the next few years. Thereafter we could do great with this same investment.

The plus side is that my buy in was not as high as most examples I see here. It would be nice to have lower costs, but that would have tradeoffs. I do know this. I have the minimum capability of having 7 people vacation for 14 days each year. My cost for this ( maintenance fees ) is less then $ 2,000 / year. I can't rent quality hotel space by the beach for this low a rate. So that is value.

If you are unsure about this transaction, get out of the deal. Look at where you want to go. Everyone agrees you should buy where you would like to vacation. Then look to see if there are resales available that meet your needs. If so, great. If not, but retail exists, you may want to try negotiating a better deal. Otherwise, you might be best to wait.

Take a serious look at the trading options. Specifically, look at RCI. Many of the places you look at will deposit to RCI. Their Points option is not available at all resorts, but it gives you the flexibility of short term vacations. Also look at their resort lists, and travel deals ( inventory available for rental ). It will give you a good idea of the possibilities.

Finally, don't make a decision based on a sales pitch. Any legitimate timeshare company will be courteous when you say you want to think it over and will get back to them. The same offer, or a better one, will still be there if the inventory is still available.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Greeneyes07, be very careful of anyone with just a few posts on TUG trying to assist you personally.

I agree - your best bet is to post any questions on the forum where everyone can see them and answer them.

Sales people are not permitted to openly solicit contacts on TUG, but that doesn't keep them from doing so privately. :rolleyes:

GTStone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Follow up question

Someone mentioned Los Abrigados. Is that the resort ?

We stayed there two years ago. We traded in through RCI and it didn't cost me many RCI points at all. I had no problem getting a place and I found it to be nice.

Our friends also stayed there in a different unit. We enjoyed Sedona.

We made the mistake of attending a sales pitch ( they offered the free train trip which was nice ). The man who set it up was very nice but the lady in the front office who tried to entice us originally to take the tour quickly expressed her displeasure for not using her, and she did so very rudely.

Then we got the tour ( very brief ) and sales pitch ( too long ). Much of what was stated was simply not true. We thanked the man for his time and made it clear we would not be investing in their system. He let us go, but kept pressuring our friends ( who were polite but really were not in a position to buy ). They finally had to get firm and say NO, and then walk out.

I still contend buying retail might be right for you, but if you are being subject to one of those pitches, walk away. Nothing good will come of it. Also consider one of the highly regarded resale agents who post on this forum. They will be far better then the commissioned sales person at the resort.

No good deal will go away ! You are still way to early in the fact finding to make a decision now.

Last edited:

GTStone

TUG Member
Reaction score
# of posts

Greeneyes07, be very careful of anyone with just a few posts on TUG trying to assist you personally. Beware that there are salespeople who read these posts as well and are looking to scam you too.

I know one would say who to trust, but history is a good teacher and you can read their history on this site.

Carlito,

Not all with few posts are agents. I don't post a lot but I've owned timeshares for 12 years. I'm not an agent, and only share from my personal experience.

I hope you won't consider that unreliable !

Tim

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
GTStone - Carlito is referring to the posters who asked her to contact them privately. :hi:

greeneyes07

Reaction score
OK Tuggers, you don't have to think of a nice way to respond to us keeping the timeshare w/ DRI because...

we RESCINDED:whoopie:

I showed the hubbster, who was really excited about our new timeshare, all the posts esp. the ones that focused on how experienced Diamond users felt that 2500 pts was indeed NOT ENOUGH to do very much with, and that by the time we paid off our points, they could be worth even less. Our benefits just did not justify the $800 approx yearly maintenence fees.

Plus with the inability to EVER book in advance, we were setting ourselves up for possible disappointment when we were able to travel further.My husbands job may not always allow for last minute week's vacation time off.

Plus we like to go to SoCal sometimes and I got the feeling after a few calls, that booking there by cash in Summer on short notice with even our Interval Gold Entertainment discount card would not get us a better rate. I called 3 places and told them, as instructed, that we had the "Entertainment"club card. I may as well have called and said that I was a member of the Mickey Mouse Club, from the reaction I got. I was quoted higher rates by $60.00 per night for the hotel we stayed at last year by last minute Orbitz rate. and I don't think we could ever get in CA with our Pts in summer.

The thought of never getting to go to CA because we were tapped out with DRI fees that would only get us to Sedon , Payson etc. did it for me- maybe we could, but I could not verify it. So I did as I think EVERY responder suggested and we RESCINDED.

We are not interested in being contacted about resale timeshares right now. We never want to buy a week we have to trade and will probably just look for timeshare 2 bd weeks to RENT , despite the risk of error. Sedona and So Cal at this pt. 3 day weekends are great also.

We still like many things about DRI and may join in the future but I did conclude that 2500 pts is not enough and we cannot afford any more.

Thank you for ALL the helpful replies.
:clap:

GTStone

TUG Member
Reaction score
One closing thought

So Cal ? Please check out Grand Pacific Resorts ! There are several along the coast. Nope, I'm not talking about a purchase. You can contact them directly about rental weeks and you don't have to own anything anywhere. Owners list their units for rent with the resort directly.

These are Gold Crown properties. They are comfortable, with lots for your kids to do, and easy to commute. I happen to own at Seapointe and I know for a fact two bedroom rentals are available for summer weeks, and yes you can reserve them well in advance. Also, you will not be subject to a sales pitch. Properties like the Carlsbad Inn and Seapointe are sold out. They may offer to "introduce you" to Marbrisa but saying "no thanks" will be readily acceptable. :)

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Congrats on your rescind!!:clap:
It sounds like you and your husband are really interested in timeshares.
It sounds like they may be a good fit for you. Use TUG and take your time
in finding what you think would be a good fit. It still may be DRI points but resale.
You can start checking and ask questions, everyone will help.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your decision. Renting for awhile will give you a feel for the timeshare "lifestyle", then you can see if it works for you in the long term, and if you do indeed want to buy something eventually. Enjoy your vacations!