• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Not sure what company to buy points from..

Bnicholerose

Reaction score
A little background: We own at Tahoe Ridge, where we use our time every year. We want to buy a point based timeshare in addition to our ridge timeshare, and we are looking for advice on what point system might be best for us.

Besides going to the ridge several times every year, we do a big vacation once a year where we go somewhere tropical like Hawaii or turks and caicos. We used to own a week in Maui, but since we started wanting to go other places, we got rid of it because it was just a hassle dealing with trading, even though it had a good trading power. And then we also take about three-five little weekend trips to LA, San Francisco, or Vegas to see concerts every year. I have recently put together an international list of places I’d like to travel to with my daughter who just turned 16. Basically, we were thinking points would be good for us since we like skipping around on short notice and don’t want to bother with the trading all the time. If we had enough points to do a week somewhere from a company that also offered discounted long weekends and getaways, I think this would work best for us. I’m just not sure what to get.

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

No, we like to travel to lots of different places (aside from the place we already own a week at and are keeping)

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

We do not want to be at our home resort half the time; we want flexibility to travel to different places

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Tropical destinations
Europe
Short continental US trips

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

2-4

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

We can do short trips (5 nights) any time, but a week only during school breaks or 1st two weeks of January (I’m a college teacher)

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

For our week long vacation yes, anywhere from 12 to maybe six months. For getaways or short trips we sometimes have a few months to 30 days or less notice.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

Only during summer or first two weeks of January

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

4-5

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

No

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Yes

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I'm sorry, but because of your answers below, I don't think you are a good candidate to be a timeshare owner - it works best when you can plan well in advance. Also, it doesn't work well for Europe.

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

We can do short trips (5 nights) any time, but a week only during school breaks or 1st two weeks of January (I’m a college teacher)

You will be competing for reservations during the highest demand timeframes - which requires advanced planning.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

Usually not that far out; maybe six months, usually three months, sometimes 30 days or less for quick 3-5 day trips

With most timeshare systems, you need to be able to commit 8-12 months in advance, or else you end up stuck with the leftovers. The best resorts go early.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 4-5

Only the hotel affiliated timeshare systems are 4-5 Star: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, Vistana (formerly Starwood) and they are not conducive to last minute travel.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

No

Then you will find the planning and deadlines tedious.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I concur with DeniseM. We own Points in 2 different Timeshare Organizations. In order to get the best locations we are making our Reservations 13 months in advance. The only way it would work with less than 12 to 13 months in advance planning is if you are willing to call the Reservation Office and simply take what was available.

Bnicholerose

Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. Just to clarify: I can plan our week long tropical vacation a year or more ahead of time (we always take that one the beginning of January), but we do several quick little 3 day weekend trips to San Francisco, San Diego, and Vegas on shorter notice. I had thought the point systems allowed for discounted weekend trips, but I could be wrong? We went to one presentation where this is what they told us, but I never buy directly from builder, and I also assume sales people lie, so we didn’t buy those points. Instead we left to do some research and buy something on the secondary market.

The timeshare we own at the Tahoe Ridge, for instance, gives us bonus time where we get to go there on short notice for deeply discounted weekend trips. We take advantage of that a few times a year. I thought point systems with Marriott, etc might work similarly for weekend trips, since they have hotels all over the world (and also since that’s what the salesperson told us, but again, I don’t trust what they say). So I guess I’m wondering if discounted, short notice weekend trips are or are not part of a point system timeshare from somewhere like the Marriott.

You’re right that I do find dealing with some aspects of my timeshare tedious, such as banking and trading. That’s why I got rid of our Maui timeshare and only kept the one at the ridge that we use every year so I don’t have to deal with trading. I was hoping points would work better since you don’t have to trade.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thank you for your responses. Just to clarify: I can plan our week long tropical vacation a year or more ahead of time (we always take that one the beginning of January), but we do several quick little 3 day weekend trips to San Francisco, San Diego, and Vegas on shorter notice. I had thought the point systems allowed for discounted weekend trips, but I could be wrong? We went to one presentation where this is what they told us, but I never buy directly from builder, and I also assume sales people lie, so we didn’t buy those points. Instead we left to do some research and buy something on the secondary market.

I think it all depends on your expectations, and what you want to do, and when. Points can be handy for controlling what you're booking, and how you do it. Yes, short stays, like weekends and such, can be done. So in that aspect, things would work for your advantage. But booking those short stays on short notice may leave you with little to choose from. It depends on what is left to pick from. If you want to go to a prime resort area for a weekend, especially a popular one, you can only book it if there is availability. If everything is booked - there is no availability, and you're out of luck. It's a simple matter of mathematics.

Booking ahead of time, as far as possible, will increase your odds of getting something you really want. Prime time at prime places goes first, usually at the first opportunity to book things. So your tropical vacation booked 12 or more months out would have a better chance to be done.

Unlike a weeks deposit, points reservations can be cancelled if your plans change, usually without penalty. So my suggestion would be to book ahead for those weekends you expect you might want to go somewhere, and then cancel the reservation if you decide not to go. That way you'd at least have something on the books.

I own points in WorldMark, and as of right now, I have a weekend booked at a prime resort in Washington state for a wedding this Summer, I have three nights booked in Vancouver, BC for my anniversary the week after that, and I have time booked in San Francisco for October. I'll shortly be booking a week in New Orleans for next Spring, and in a few months I'm planning to book a week in Hawaii for late next year. None of this could be as easily done with Weeks.

As in all things, YMMV.

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I had thought the point systems allowed for discounted weekend trips, but I could be wrong?

The problem is that you will not find any last minute inventory at the popular destinations, when you are ready to go. The popular resorts are booked early. So Las Vegas - yes (tons of timeshares) San Francisco and San Diego - not likely (very few timeshares.)

Also - you said you wanted 4-5 Star resorts, and I don't think SF or SD have any 4-5 Star points timeshares.

You are correct - the sales people will tell you whatever you want to hear.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Worldmark is an inexpensive resale to buy, has low maintenance fees, no booking fees, points can be borrowed and banked all at no cost. It is a 3.5 star timeshare. It will fit your budget. It is West Coast heavy with more than 90 resort locations. You can also use it with II and/RCi exchange companies but trading is somewhat expensive and high season trades can be a crapshoot.

Marriott point system is very expensive to buy into, including through resales. Depending on ownership level, you can get discounted stays at 30 or 60 days out provided there is availability. To get to higher levels for increased discounts for late booking or the ability to book fewer than 7 nights 13 months out, you are looking at 50K to 100K in purchase price. The alternative is buy a small number of points in the resale market and forgo the status that is assoicated with higher points ownership, you can pay for one-time use points from other owners and have the points transferred into your account. One time use point cost is just slightly above MF for those points.

Last edited:

Bnicholerose

Reaction score
This sounds very similar to how we travel. And yes, what a nightmare to try and exchange a week to do this type of traveling. It would probably be impossible. I have never heard of WorldMark. I’ll have to look into it. Is there a thread on here that explains their system and level of hotel accommodations?

I own points in WorldMark, and as of right now, I have a weekend booked at a prime resort in Washington state for a wedding this Summer, I have three nights booked in Vancouver, BC for my anniversary the week after that, and I have time booked in San Francisco for October. I'll shortly be booking a week in New Orleans for next Spring, and in a few months I'm planning to book a week in Hawaii for late next year. None of this could be as easily done with Weeks.

As in all things, YMMV.

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem is that you will not find any last minute inventory at the popular destinations, when you are ready to go. The popular resorts are booked early. So Las Vegas - yes (tons of timeshares) San Francisco and San Diego - not likely (very few timeshares.)

Also - you said you wanted 4-5 Star resorts, and I don't think SF or SD have any 4-5 Star points timeshares.

You are correct - the sales people will tell you whatever you want to hear.
Marriott has timeshare in San Diego, Newport Coast and Las Vegas.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What is the Marriott timeshare in San Diego? Las Vegas is an easy trade for everyone.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
This sounds very similar to how we travel. And yes, what a nightmare to try and exchange a week to do this type of traveling. It would probably be impossible. I have never heard of WorldMark. I’ll have to look into it. Is there a thread on here that explains their system and level of hotel accommodations?

WorldMark has a subforum under the Wyndham forum on Tug. You can also go to https://www.worldmarktheclub.com to explore their website. The website wmowners.com will provide insider details for those who already own WorldMark. If you live on the west coast, WorldMark is often a very affordable points system to own, because the bulk of their resorts are in western states. If you live in the east, there is little local availability.

Before you buy anything, take your time to do your research. As in all things timeshare related, it's much easier to get into a timeshare than it can be to get out of one.

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
With Worldmark in addition to Booking with Points there are several cash option - Bonus Time (I think 14 days before check in and depends on availability), Monday Madness (different Resorts listed each week) can Book out several months, and Inventory Specials (a rotating list of Resorts that have availability normally midweek).

Check out www.wmowners.com/forum.

Worldmark is primarily western USA but some recent expansion to East Coast to include Florida, Poconos, and I believe South Carolina. Worldmark has a Resort in Fiji, 4 or 5 in Mexico, and several in Western Canada. They have started the process to build in Moab, Utah and currently constructing a new Resort in downtown Portland, Oregon. They also have 1 in downtown San Francisco, also Windsor, CA, near Monterey, several in San Diego, Angels Camp, 4 in Hawaii, etc.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
If OP wants 4-5 star accommodations, I think he will be disappointed with Worldmark.

If OP wants to make last minute weekend reservations in major cities, I think he will be disappointed with any timeshare.

But if OP wants a second TS for a week long beach trip every January, a TS managed by one of the hotel chains (Hyatt, Westin, Marriott, or Hilton) should work.

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here’s an inexpensive option. I own 122,000 RCI points with the underlying deed being at Grandview Las Vegas. My maintenance fees are only $845 for this platinum contract.

I can take multiple week long, and short stay, vacations with those points.

I bought into RCIs Platinum membership which allows me an extra year to bank or borrow those points. I just traded for a week in Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort, I just booked 3 nights in NYC at the Hilton Club, I have a week at HGVC's Kingsland Resort for November.

And I still have points left over.

My points contract at the Grandview cost me $3500 all in. I mean with closing and transfer fees. I think this is the best way to start learning to trade. If you don’t like it you can easily sell the contract or give it away. Your total exposure being only $3500.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Bnicholerose

Reaction score
Hi Icydog,
Thanks for your reply. I want to look into RCI. I have a question: When you buy points with a home deed, you have to deal with trading, correct? I am very unfamiliar with points, but I have owned traditional weeks at resorts before that I traded when I wanted to go somewhere else. Is trading on a point based system like you’re describing different than trading a traditional week? Do all point based systems require you choose a home deeded resort, or do some systems just give you points without attaching you to a deeded resort?

Here’s an inexpensive option. I own 122,000 RCI points with the underlying deed being at Grandview Las Vegas. My maintenance fees are only $845 for this platinum contract.

I can take multiple week long, and short stay, vacations with those points.

I bought into RCIs Platinum membership which allows me an extra year to bank or borrow those points. I just traded for a week in Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort, I just booked 3 nights in NYC at the Hilton Club, I have a week at HGVC's Kingsland Resort for November.

And I still have points left over.

My points contract at the Grandview cost me $3500 all in. I mean with closing and transfer fees. I think this is the best way to start learning to trade. If you don’t like it you can easily sell the contract or give it away. Your total exposure being only $3500.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Yes, RCI Points involves exchanging with the related membership and exchange fees.

Points systems vary. What I would call true point systems like Vacation Internationale or Worldmark hold their properties free and clear in an owners trust or similar instrument. Your ownership gives you a teensy portion of the trust. The properties are not accessible to the developer or manager to sell or mortgage - except in some limited circumstances regarding selling and replacing with like property.

You do not own specific deeded weeks anywhere (which some people seem to think is super important but I don't agree). With these true point systems you can book any of their properties with no exchange fees as long as you have the needed number of points. They are also a better deal for off season times because your MF are based on your points so if you go somewhere in low seasons requiring lower points, in effect your MF are lower.

There are other "point" systems like HGVC where you own a deeded property which gives you so many points that you can use throughout their system. Typically you get priority booking at your home resort in your owned unit size and season.

There are also, what I'd call some hybrid points systems like Marriott and Wyndham were they have taken a bunch of deeded ownership weeks from a variety of properties and put them into a trust. You buy points that let you access units in the trust. The problem (in my opinion) is that you only have access to the units in the trust. So...if the Wyndham XYZ has 100 units but only 15 are in the trust if the 15 trust units aren't available when you want you have no access to the other 85 units.

As people have mentioned, for any system be sure you understand reservation, housekeeping, maintenance fee rules and costs.

Last edited:

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
So...I highly recommend you look closely at Worldmark. If you are happy with The Ridge, I don't think you will have a problem with most Worldmark properties. Worldmark is more likely to have black or white appliances vs stainless steel and formica vs granite counters but units are nicely done and well kept up.

However like any non fixed week timeshare you have to plan your stays. The beauty with Worldmark is that they have a ton of drive to locations so if you are flexible about exact locations and dates it is very possible to take shorter length nearer to arrival trips. They also have an excellent wait list process that very frequently comes through.

The resorts that typically require the very advance planning are Hawaii and some of the resorts with limited inventory like Pismo Beach and Marina Dunes. Also, weekdays are typically easier to get on short notice than weekends.

Without getting too (much more) long winded, the WM cancellation policy makes last minute availability much more common than most systems. I have gotten quite last minute availability at The Camlin in Seattle and at San Francisco - both of which are super popular.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Bnicholerose, I recommend you start looking at what stays at your preferred resorts are RENTING at. I think you will see that rent has a wide range, get an idea of availability, and in some cases you will see that rent is not a heck of a lot more than MF. A downside to renting for your particular case is that rentals are usually 7 day stretches, and you stated you want shorter stays.

In short, the answers to your questions indicate that renting may be better for you than owning/exchanging.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been on these boards for years and years... I own Disney Vacation Club points, I own Marriott weeks, I own Marriott Destination Club points. I have owned, rented and sold timeshares in many other point based companies.

By recommending inexpensive RCI points with an underlying Grandview deed would be a great alternative for this OP. I feel it was not discussed- even when the OP specifically asked about it. The exchange fees for points based, 7 night, two bedroom villas, are less than $300. The RCI points cost pennies based on $845 MFs.

I get great trades. Please don’t dismiss RCI points in this manner. But perhaps you are not being dismissive. Perhaps you don’t know enough about inexpensive RCI points. I think there should be more written about them.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
I have been on these boards for years and years... I own Disney Vacation Club points, I own Marriott weeks, I own Marriott Destination Club points. I have owned, rented and sold timeshares in many other point based companies.

By recommending inexpensive RCI points with an underlying Grandview deed would be a great alternative for this OP. I feel it was not discussed- even when the OP specifically asked about it. The exchange fees for points based, 7 night, two bedroom villas, are less than $300. The RCI points cost pennies based on $845 MFs.

I get great trades. Please don’t dismiss RCI points in this manner. But perhaps you are not being dismissive. Perhaps you don’t know enough about inexpensive RCI points. I think there should be more written about them.

I’m the first to admit, I’m not experienced with TS and am learning from all of you. But my question is Icydog, if the OP hated the hassle of trading, won’t he be back where he started with RCI? Even with points don’t you have to do searches and watch for availability? Or is it that you have the points and you can just book it, like making a reservation? I thought it was the former. I’m interested in learning more about these RCI points for myself! I may do some reading tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1user2

Reaction score
I think it all depends on your expectations, and what you want to do, and when. Points can be handy for controlling what you're booking, and how you do it. Yes, short stays, like weekends and such, can be done. So in that aspect, things would work for your advantage. But booking those short stays on short notice may leave you with little to choose from. It depends on what is left to pick from. If you want to go to a prime resort area for a weekend, especially a popular one, you can only book it if there is availability. If everything is booked - there is no availability, and you're out of luck. It's a simple matter of mathematics.

Booking ahead of time, as far as possible, will increase your odds of getting something you really want. Prime time at prime places goes first, usually at the first opportunity to book things. So your tropical vacation booked 12 or more months out would have a better chance to be done.

Unlike a weeks deposit, points reservations can be cancelled if your plans change, usually without penalty. So my suggestion would be to book ahead for those weekends you expect you might want to go somewhere, and then cancel the reservation if you decide not to go. That way you'd at least have something on the books.

As in all things, YMMV.

Dave
I have been able to get pretty much what ever I want & I don't have to make reservations a year in advance. Of course I don't go out of the country that much but even when I did I didn't make reservations a year in advance & got what I wanted. You just need to keep looking & when you see what you want book it & of course the closer you wait to the time you want to go the less it will cost.

1user2

Reaction score
I have been able to get pretty much what ever I want & I don't have to make reservations a year in advance. Of course I don't go out of the country that much but even when I did I didn't make reservations a year in advance & got what I wanted. You just need to keep looking & when you see what you want book it & of course the closer you wait to the time you want to go the less it will cost.