• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Now Good Grief Walmart

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I think my local stores must be a different model. At the self-check counters I see here, options are available for credit cards or cash only. Never saw (or maybe didn't notice) an option to pay with loose change. I have a huge coin jar at home, so I may have to try that! (I bank at a cashless credit union - everything is handled through ATMs, so no place to get rid of rolled coins. And I refuse to pay a 10% surcharge to use the CoinStar machines at Safeway. Frustrating!)

Dave

I think they all have coin slots. The self check out is my preferred method. Super fast and I can pay with ATM card or cash -dollars and coins.

My absolute favorite is Scan & Go at SAM's Club - you just login and scan your items, then click pay by your preferred method and when you walk out the person at the door scans the barcode and says have a nice day! I heard that some Walmart SuperCenters are implementing this.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Self checkouts can be slow or fast. I often get behind people that are so slow... One should really be required to have training and certification before they are allowed to use those. Never fails, people have to hunt for the bar code, takes forever for them to scan just a few items.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you ever thought that maybe it is the customers that are asking for more self-checkout lanes? It is often faster since more customers can be checking out at the same time in the given space, which results in a better customer experience for many. I for one would much rather use the self-checkout lanes -- it seems that it is only the older people who complain about this new technology...

Kurt

Sure and companies are happy to provide more as it saves money. Now if every cash was occupied with a cashier and no wait time I am sure less people would ask for more checkout lanes. I remember using them 15 years ago while in college.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I hadn't been in our local one for some time. Yesterday, I was. In the past they had one end with about 6 self checkout stations. That area was expanded. And now the other end has them. And many check lines that at first look traditional have been converted. So there are 24 self check stations and only about 8 cashiers helping customers the old fashioned way. I went to one of them. I know it is a losing battle to preserve jobs for people.
I wonder if eventually we will have to stock the shelves, too.

Ironically, I just experienced this yesterday as my boss sent me there to buy 17 gift cards. Well- I could not do those on self check-outs and the few other check-outs had huge lines, but a worker thankfully told me I could go to the service desk to purchase them so that is what I did.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I'm a germaphobe and LOVE not having a cashier touch my items. Otherwise, it seems like I always get in the line with the check-out person who's coughing away or noticeably sick. Shudder.
This is why I like having the self check option. There are some checkers that I prefer to avoid - especially those who look sick or similar to death warned over.

On the other hand, I have come to know a few checkers over the years and a checker can add great value to a visit. On more than one occasion, I've had checkers alert me to a sale i might have otherwise missed. It is nice to have both manned and self check options.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
This is why I like having the self check option. There are some checkers that I prefer to avoid - especially those who look sick or similar to death warned over.

Or the nonstop talkers, who have to tell everybody in front of you, one at a time and in full detail, their life story, their plans for the weekend, all about the wedding they just went to, the whole story of the movie they saw a week ago, or what happened on The Bachelorette last night, the specific recipe and preparation processes they think they might like to prepare using that wonderful entree someone bought two hours ago, or all about the garage sale their Mother is holding next week, the details of the vacation they're thinking of taking in a month, and (worst of all), all about that nasty customer who treated them so rudely this morning. Or combinations of some/all of the above. I absolutely HATE that. :)

Dave

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
You calling me old?
Certainly not! I've never met you, but I'm sure you aren't a day over 29. :D

The rationale of some is that customers are now doing the work while also paying for the goods.
That may be, but there are certainly a segment of customers who would gladly trade off the extra "work" in order to get the greater speed and convenience of self-checkout kiosks. There always seems to be the manned checkout lanes for those who don't like the self-service lanes.

Kurt

Brett

Reaction score
I get annoyed when a grocery store does not have self check-out -- self check (IMO) is always quicker

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
The one area of improvement needed with self check areas is more room for bagging. I get there is the possibility of customer shenanigans when it comes to self checking but that is the risk stores run in return for lower labor costs. Give me sufficient space to bag 8 sacks concurrently and I might never need the checker again.

I agree with the scan and go at Sam's club as that is a welcome tool.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
The only “complaint” I have about self checkout is the variety of machines in various stores. They all seem to have different quirks that causes me to relearn the process at Home Depot, Kroger, whoever:D

Cheers

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I do not like self checkouts and refuse to use them. I think the stores should employee more people to help the economy.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Another reason that I like self-check-out is I can bag my stuff how I want - with as much or little per bag. That way when I get home, I can put it away faster.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do not like self checkouts and refuse to use them. I think the stores should employee more people to help the economy.

Why is helping the economy the responsibility of the store? A store exists to provide products and services at the lowest price possible while operating as efficiently as possible to deliver the highest profit possible.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good. Self check is popular enough anyway. I hate waiting while some checker has to make small talk with the clueless shopper ahead of me in the full service line. I suppose you go to the full service island at the gas station, too?
Jim

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Or the nonstop talkers, who have to tell everybody in front of you, one at a time and in full detail, their life story, their plans for the weekend, all about the wedding they just went to, the whole story of the movie they saw a week ago, or what happened on The Bachelorette last night, the specific recipe and preparation processes they think they might like to prepare using that wonderful entree someone bought two hours ago, or all about the garage sale their Mother is holding next week, the details of the vacation they're thinking of taking in a month, and (worst of all), all about that nasty customer who treated them so rudely this morning.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Self checkouts can be slow or fast. I often get behind people that are so slow... One should really be required to have training and certification before they are allowed to use those. Never fails, people have to hunt for the bar code, takes forever for them to scan just a few items.

Maybe a state license as a certified self checkout user (CSCU)?

What I have done in the past is offer assistance. More than once it was welcomed and things ran faster. The advantage is the next time the person is in front of someone, they might be a little faster. Of course, they also might not remember a thing.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I use CoinStars for the spare change jar, and usually get an Amazon voucher for about $15 without any fee. You just put the code on the voucher into your account on the Amazon website.

I like self-service checkout when nothing goes wrong. "Goes wrong" includes accidentally scanning twice, having alcohol, something without barcode, realizing I wanted two of something, card doesn't work, won't accept cash, etc.

In the UK, these things are hugely popular. There'll be 12 of them, with one common line, er, queue, and the millennials rip through their checkout like the store was on fire.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Good. Self check is popular enough anyway. I hate waiting while some checker has to make small talk with the clueless shopper ahead of me in the full service line. I suppose you go to the full service island at the gas station, too?
Jim

In Oregon you can not pump your own gas - even at Costco you are required to let the attendant pump your gas. Though studies have shown Oregon gas does not cost more than other states. Out of Oregon I almost always use Costco. At out of Oregon Costco they normally only have 1 attendant for 20 pumps. So I pump my own.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
In Oregon you can not pump your own gas - even at Costco you are required to let the attendant pump your gas. Though studies have shown Oregon gas does not cost more than other states. Out of Oregon I almost always use Costco. At out of Oregon Costco they normally only have 1 attendant for 20 pumps. So I pump my own.

If I understand you correctly, at Costco's outside of Oregon, you HAVE to pump your own gas. They won't do it for you. The one attendant is there in case there is a problem with a pump, or a safety issue. Otherwise, it's totally self-serve.

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
If I understand you correctly, at Costco's outside of Oregon, you HAVE to pump your own gas. They won't do it for you. The one attendant is there in case there is a problem with a pump, or a safety issue. Otherwise, it's totally self-serve.

Dave

Outside of Oregon Costco will pump if you insist but you might be waiting for a while and everyone behind you will get pissed - Road Rage.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Outside of Oregon Costco will pump if you insist but you might be waiting for a while and everyone behind you will get pissed - Road Rage.

Ok. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I don't know that I've ever seen a Costco employee pump someone's gas, except in Oregon. I've just asked my spouse (the Costco career staffer) and I was told if anyone ever did that for you, they were breaking the rules. It's a liability thing. :shrug:

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Oregon you can not pump your own gas - even at Costco you are required to let the attendant pump your gas.
Sorry. I hadn't connected that your domicile is Oregon. That helps make sense of your avoiding self-checkouts. I'm of the 'if you want something done right, do it yourself' school.

Jim

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fwiw: New Jersey has universal full service gas attendants.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Ok. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I don't know that I've ever seen a Costco employee pump someone's gas, except in Oregon. I've just asked my spouse (the Costco career staffer) and I was told if anyone ever did that for you, they were breaking the rules. It's a liability thing. :shrug:
Almost every gas station I have been at has a sign somewhere stating an attendant will pump gas for you if you need assistance. How is a person with a disability supposed to get gas in their car? I'd be very surprised if even Costco would not do that courtesy for a disabled customer.

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
At Costco (or other has stations) around here the attendant will help out disabled members to the extent possible. That doesn't mean there may not be a delay, but help usually occurs.