• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NY City W 57th question

strgrace1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
We purchased VIP package and will stay at this property 5 nights and 4 nights at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square. This is our first time in NY and will arrive at JFK. What is your suggestion for transportation to Hilton Garden Inn Times Spare and then from this Hilton to W 57th? And I just found out that there is no full kitchen, microwave and washer/dryer onsite? How do you wash your clothes as we will be there 9 nights? Any suggestions as what to do and where to eat? Thank you

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
We go to the Laundry Cafe on 50th in Hell's Kitchen.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We use Mr. Green Laundry, which looks like it's right around the corner (almost) from you when you will be at the Hilton Garden Inn. 670 9th Avenue

We use their wash and fold service as we don't want to spend time sitting in a a laundromat. We drop off in the morning, have breakfast across the street at the Galaxy Diner, then pick up in the afternoon. We've been using them for several years.

A place we like for dinner is Nocello, which was recommended to us by our lawyer who lived in NYC for years and still goes back to visit his mother. It's at 257 W. 55th.

http://www.nocello.net/

Also, for transportation from the airport we've been using a car service recommended to us, Carmel Limo. You can book online.

https://www.carmellimo.com/

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If you purchased VIP why aren't you staying at W57 or other HGVC property which are much nicer? There is a wash and fold on 6th in between W55th and W56th. Basically around the corner from HGVC properties.

Long Island Railroad will take you straight to Penn Sration. From there you can take subway or Uber to hotel. Subway from airport is more direct but slower, more crowded, and you may get panhandled on train outside of Manharran.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
If you purchased VIP why aren't you staying at W57 or other HGVC property which are much nicer? There is a wash and fold on 6th in between W55th and W56th. Basically around the corner from HGVC properties.

Long Island Railroad will take you straight to Penn Sration. From there you can take subway or Uber to hotel. Subway from airport is more direct but slower, more crowded, and you may get panhandled on train outside of Manharran.
I know people keep recommending, or mentioning the train and/or subway. We have taken the train to Penn Station and then a cab, but that was from Boston or Philadelphia. When arriving at an airport we [personally] prefer "door to door" service and find a car service to work [for us]. I wouldn't want to lug suitcases on the subway.

Are you recommending a wash and fold that is close to where they are actually staying, or close to where you think they should be staying? Can you provide the name of the wash and fold? I'm looking on Google maps and can't find it. Thanks.

Last edited:

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I believe they said they are staying some days at W. 57th St. and some days at the hotel

strgrace1

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hi CalGalTraver we got a package for 5 nights only and don’t have Hgvc point to stay at other property as we save points to Lagoon tower, thank you for your tips on transportation

strgrace1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We use Mr. Green Laundry, which looks like it's right around the corner (almost) from you when you will be at the Hilton Garden Inn. 670 9th Avenue

We use their wash and fold service as we don't want to spend time sitting in a a laundromat. We drop off in the morning, have breakfast across the street at the Galaxy Diner, then pick up in the afternoon. We've been using them for several years.

A place we like for dinner is Nocello, which was recommended to us by our lawyer who lived in NYC for years and still goes back to visit his mother. It's at 257 W. 55th.

http://www.nocello.net/

Also, for transportation from the airport we've been using a car service recommended to us, Carmel Limo. You can book online.

https://www.carmellimo.com/
Thank you so much Luanne, will check out laundry by Hilton Garden Inn, and I check Carmel Limo service, price is not bad for 4, minivan $65, not includes toll and other fees, how much for these fees?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thank you so much Luanne, will check out laundry by Hilton Garden Inn, and I check Carmel Limo service, price is not bad for 4, minivan $65, not includes toll and other fees, how much for these fees?
I honestly don't remember what other fees there were. We haven't used them for airport pick up for a few years as we've arrived in NYC by train, but we do regularly use them for pick up in NYC to go to JFK. Sorry I can't help with that portion.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
J's Cleaners. Wah and Fold. They have delivered back to us at W57. They moved from around the corner at W57 to W55th, but stll may deliver

https://www.jscleaners.com/
So now they'll have places to go for both locations. :) Will just depend when in their trip they need to do laundry.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Hello all,
We purchased VIP package and will stay at this property 5 nights and 4 nights at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square. This is our first time in NY and will arrive at JFK. What is your suggestion for transportation to Hilton Garden Inn Times Spare and then from this Hilton to W 57th? And I just found out that there is no full kitchen, microwave and washer/dryer onsite? How do you wash your clothes as we will be there 9 nights? Any suggestions as what to do and where to eat? Thank you
As a New Yorker I can tell you, send your laundry out and you’ll get it back folded same day. You can bring your own detergent as well. Many places may use commercial detergents. Also, don’t eat in Times Square please lol. Check out Plataforma it’s a Brazilian steak house like fogo de chao but better in my opinion.

Don’t wait in a taxi line, just get an Uber or lyft depending on when you’re going it could be pricy so prebooking with dual 7’s is good. Check online for coupons for dial 7 car service or even Carmel as someone else recommended. Tolls coming from jfk into Manhattan if they take the midtown tunnel are around 8 bucks max. Should be less if they have ezpass which they do. You could also take the train. The air train to jamaica station and you can take the LIRR into Penn station or the E train to the west side.

As far as what to do? Get out of the tourist areas! Check out museums. There are amazing museums here. The frick is a cool one, there is even a museum of sex! It’s nyc what do you expect? Lol. See if the Yankees are playing. Go to a Yankees or Mets game. See Hudson yards, grab drinks on a rooftop bar! There are plenty of really great ones. Checkout little Italy, grab dumplings in china town. It’s nyc there is so much to do. Some people take the Staten Island ferry which is free, it’s 30 min there 30 back and you get a great view the lady liberty then really nice city views on the way back. Just don’t do it during rush hour. Go check out south street seaport or grab a drink at the frying pan, a floating barge that’s a bar.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If you need a hotel with all suite option or kitchen, check out the Conrad London across the street from Midtown Hilton.

strgrace1

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a New Yorker I can tell you, send your laundry out and you’ll get it back folded same day. You can bring your own detergent as well. Many places may use commercial detergents. Also, don’t eat in Times Square please lol. Check out Plataforma it’s a Brazilian steak house like fogo de chao but better in my opinion.

Don’t wait in a taxi line, just get an Uber or lyft depending on when you’re going it could be pricy so prebooking with dual 7’s is good. Check online for coupons for dial 7 car service or even Carmel as someone else recommended. Tolls coming from jfk into Manhattan if they take the midtown tunnel are around 8 bucks max. Should be less if they have ezpass which they do. You could also take the train. The air train to jamaica station and you can take the LIRR into Penn station or the E train to the west side.

As far as what to do? Get out of the tourist areas! Check out museums. There are amazing museums here. The frick is a cool one, there is even a museum of sex! It’s nyc what do you expect? Lol. See if the Yankees are playing. Go to a Yankees or Mets game. See Hudson yards, grab drinks on a rooftop bar! There are plenty of really great ones. Checkout little Italy, grab dumplings in china town. It’s nyc there is so much to do. Some people take the Staten Island ferry which is free, it’s 30 min there 30 back and you get a great view the lady liberty then really nice city views on the way back. Just don’t do it during rush hour. Go check out south street seaport or grab a drink at the frying pan, a floating barge that’s a bar.
Thank you, lot of information, I am taken note , definitely will check out State Island Ferry, should we purchase CitiPass?

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
J's Cleaners. Wash and Fold. They have delivered back to us at W57. They moved from around the corner at W57 to W55th, but stll may deliver

https://www.jscleaners.com/

We met in NYC on December 6, 1975 and live 60 miles away but have NEVER spent a night in NYC since. While we know of the sight seeing things in NYC we have no clue about wash and fold. We have travelled over 1000 nights and have ALWAYS done our own laundry in the timeshare complex. So you bring your laundry there and instead of you using the machine and paying say $1 a wash and a $1 a dry you give someone the laundry and they wash, dry and fold it? How much do they charge we will have tops, shirts, underwear, socks, and perhaps shorts or jeans?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Thank you, lot of information, I am taken note , definitely will check out State Island Ferry, should we purchase CitiPass?
Not sure what citipass is. Is that for citibike?

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Citipass is something you can buy that gives you access to a lot of tourist attractions. If you manage to go to quite a few (within the number of days the pass is valid) you can save some money. At some places you also avoid entry lines.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We met in NYC on December 6, 1975 and live 60 miles away but have NEVER spent a night in NYC since. While we know of the sight seeing things in NYC we have no clue about wash and fold. We have travelled over 1000 nights and have ALWAYS done our own laundry in the timeshare complex. So you bring your laundry there and instead of you using the machine and paying say $1 a wash and a $1 a dry you give someone the laundry and they wash, dry and fold it? How much do they charge we will have tops, shirts, underwear, socks, and perhaps shorts or jeans?

Different wash and folds charge differently. Some charge by the pound, some by the bag. You can call and ask the one you are going to use how they charge. Off hand I don't remember how much we've paid in NYC at Mr. Green. It seemed reasonable to us. Also, if you have special instructions, like you want it in cold wash they will do that. The most we ever paid for wash and fold was in Vancouver, B.C.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Different wash and folds charge differently. Some charge by the pound, some by the bag. You can call and ask the one you are going to use how they charge. Off hand I don't remember how much we've paid in NYC at Mr. Green. It seemed reasonable to us. Also, if you have special instructions, like you want it in cold wash they will do that. The most we ever paid for wash and fold was in Vancouver, B.C.

Wow, Vancouver is more expensive than NYC. They probably don't have any immigrants there to do the work so they have to pay real living wages. In this country we get immigrants to do the work that we don't want to or can't do ourselves and pay them half wages and no benefits. What would we do without the immigrants pay double or more or do it ourselves!

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are some suggestions in NYC.

- eat ramen at Ippudo in the Village on 9th Street

- eat Korean bbq at Jongro on 32nd Street

- if you are vegetarian or Kosher, eat vegetarian Kosher Chinese food at Buddha Bodai on Mott Street

- eat steak at Peter Lugers (pricey)

- eat Italian at Locanda Verde

- drink mixed drinks and cocktails at the Dead Rabbit. Won best bar in the world a couple years ago

- drink wine at either City Vineyards on Pier 26 or the Grand Banks ship on Pier 25

- rent a bike and cycle up and down the Hudson River Park

- if you are a runner, participate in the NY Road Runner race on Sunday morning at Central Park

- watch the street performers at Washington Square Park on West 4th Street

- if you like jazz, go to Smoke Jazz club at 105th and Broadway

- it goes without saying that the Lion King is the best musical ever. I don't like musicals but I liked it so much that I saw the Lion King twice - once in London and once in NYC! They're both excellent

- go to the Chelsea Market to wander around and get a dessert. Then walk to the High Line Park.

- go to a book reading at the 4th floor of the Barnes and Noble at Union Square. I attended the evening President Clinton did a Q&A with Lee Child (author of the Jack Reacher novels)

- eat at the original Shake Shack at Madison Park on 23rd St while gazing at the Flatiron building. Then wander around at Eataly and eat dessert there.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Wow, Vancouver is more expensive than NYC. They probably don't have any immigrants there to do the work so they have to pay real living wages. In this country we get immigrants to do the work that we don't want to or can't do ourselves and pay them half wages and no benefits. What would we do without the immigrants pay double or more or do it ourselves!
I think it may have been just that particular wash and fold we used in Vancouver. And yes, they do have immigrants, it's just most of them immigrated with money.

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
... in Vancouver. And yes, they do have immigrants, it's just most of them immigrated with money.

Some recent Asian immigrants to Vancouver BC came with money and lots of it (think "Crazy Rich Asians"). They drove the real estate prices and cost of living in Vancouver way up! NPR: Vancouver Has Been Transformed

But I digressed from the thread's topic. Now back to NYC and W57th :)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I recall it was about $14 for the first 5 lbs and the $1 a pound after that. However you should check because my memory may be failing me.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think it may have been just that particular wash and fold we used in Vancouver. And yes, they do have immigrants, it's just most of them immigrated with money.

If they immigrated with money I guess they are not candidates to do our laundry, I guess I should be doing their laundry!