• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NY City W 57th question

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
If they immigrated with money I guess they are not candidates to do our laundry, I guess I should be doing their laundry!
Vancouver is still a great city to visit. And my dd (who was living there while going to school) said there were cheaper places to get wash and fold, but they weren't open the day we needed to get it done.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I recall it was about $14 for the first 5 lbs and the $1 a pound after that. However you should check because my memory may be failing me.

Thanks for that info. We may have to do that since we are going to go by Long Island Railroad with carry-ons and backpacks for 8 nights. I don't think we will be able to fit enough of what we need. We usually travel with that luggage plus 4 full size suitcases but that is with planes and cabs and usually for 2 or more weeks.

I was thinking about mailing a box to the resort with clothes for the 60 mile trip the post office may not charge me so much.
We sent a 1 pound box to Florida and it cost about $14, that was a rip off. We send 50 pound boxes home from Hawaii for about $100, and that is a LONG TRIP. How much could they charge for say a 10 pound for that trip.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
How much could they charge for say a 10 pound for that trip.
I don't know if this was a question or not. But if you want to know how much might be charged you can check online. You can get quotes from USPS, FedEx, UPS and decide if it's worth it to ship the box.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I don't know if this was a question or not. But if you want to know how much might be charged you can check online. You can get quotes from USPS, FedEx, UPS and decide if it's worth it to ship the box.
Thanks, I will check their rates.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Long Island Railroad will take you straight to Penn Sration. From there you can take subway or Uber to hotel. Subway from airport is more direct but slower, more crowded, and you may get panhandled on train outside of Manharran.

Since your first stay is Times Square, it really is a short walk from Penn Station to the HGI. We usually do the walk all the way to W. 57th from Penn station as well, but that's us :)

For both LIRR and subway, you first take the AirTrain ($5 on a Metrocard) to Jamaica Station (LIRR), Sutphin Blvd. (Subway). Subway is cheaper, more direct to Tims Square (as noted) but considerably longer and less pleasant.

Cheers.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know people keep recommending, or mentioning the train and/or subway. We have taken the train to Penn Station and then a cab, but that was from Boston or Philadelphia. When arriving at an airport we [personally] prefer "door to door" service and find a car service to work [for us]. I wouldn't want to lug suitcases on the subway.

Definitely a different strokes kinda thing. We only ever travel with carry-on, so taking them on train/subway is easy. Also, the rails don't have any traffic, unlike surface vehicles :)

Cheers.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Since your first stay is Times Square, it really is a short walk from Penn Station to the HGI. We usually do the walk all the way to W. 57th from Penn station as well, but that's us :)

For both LIRR and subway, you first take the AirTrain ($5 on a Metrocard) to Jamaica Station (LIRR), Sutphin Blvd. (Subway). Subway is cheaper, more direct to Tims Square (as noted) but considerably longer and less pleasant.

Cheers.
We did the walk from Penn Station to 49th once. That was enough for us. I'm 68 and dh is 74. We think we've earned the car service by now. ;)

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We did the walk from Penn Station to 49th once. That was enough for us. I'm 68 and dh is 74. We think we've earned the car service by now. ;)

Walking from Penn to 49th or even to the West 57th Street HGVC or Hilton Club is not a problem for us, but toting a carry-on and backpack we will Cab or Uber it.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Walking from Penn to 49th or even to the West 57th Street HGVC or Hilton Club is not a problem for us, but toting a carry-on and backpack we will Cab or Uber it.
When we are staying in NYC we walk everywhere. It's not the walking that was the issue. It was hauling fairly large suitcases, and carrying backpacks, basically on an uphill incline, busy sidewalks. We couldn't get a cab, and don't use Uber or Lyft (we will now) so the alternative was to walk.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When we are staying in NYC we walk everywhere. It's not the walking that was the issue. It was hauling fairly large suitcases, and carrying backpacks, basically on an uphill incline, busy sidewalks. We couldn't get a cab, and don't use Uber or Lyft (we will now) so the alternative was to walk.

I totally agree with you. Also, if you wheel suitcases or carry-ons that many plots along NYC streets you will wear out or damage your wheels. The rubber on my carry-on wore so badly that I already had to replace my wheels which I only use around airports and accommodation areas.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with you. Also, if you wheel suitcases or carry-ons that many plots along NYC streets you will wear out or damage your wheels. The rubber on my carry-on wore so badly that I already had to replace my wheels which I only use around airports and accommodation areas.

Interesting. We wheel them through the city from where whatever public transportation drops us off to W. 57th (often Penn Station, so about 0.9 miles) without issue. But there are many options.

Cheers.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

Cheers.

Do you catch the train to Penn Station at EWR / Newark airport? Or do you need to make a connection someplace? I am heading to NYC for a conference next week, won't be staying at W57, but will be on Times Square.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@1Kflyerguy Yes. Catch the Airtrain from EWR and it will take you directly to the New Jersey RR station. You can buy a ticket to Penn on the platform.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
@1Kflyerguy Yes. Catch the Airtrain from EWR and it will take you directly to the New Jersey RR station. You can buy a ticket to Penn on the platform.

You can also get the app and buy in advance. Not a biggie either way. Just be sure that you don't get off at Penn Station, New Jersey (first stop :))

Cheers.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Be sure to stop in at Grand Central Terminal and look at the ceiling.

If you have a shoe fetish get down to 8th street for some shoe shopping.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
And/Or go see Kinky Boots on Broadway. Very nice Cindy Lauper soundtrack as well.

Cheers.

FYI, Kinky Boots closed in April after an amazing run to make room for Moulin Rouge. But there are plenty of other great and fun shows to see and unlimited things to do.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FYI, Kinky Boots closed in April after an amazing run to make room for Moulin Rouge. But there are plenty of other great and fun shows to see and unlimited things to do.

I know that Kinky Boots closed on Broadway, but we won't miss it! The set and costumes moved to our local Gateway Theatre on Long Island and we have tickets for Saturday Night September 14th 2nd row orchestra center. They usually have some of the actors from the Broadway Show in the cast of shows that recently closed on Broadway. Since we are season tickets subscribers we only pay $60 a ticket.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

By the way we will be going to NYC and staying at the Hilton Club for 8 nights in late August into September, what price range tickets can you get with the TKTS discount tickets and what is the discount? The really good upfront tickets are usually $250 or so each.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Definitely a different strokes kinda thing. We only ever travel with carry-on, so taking them on train/subway is easy. Also, the rails don't have any traffic, unlike surface vehicles :)

Cheers.

I’m always jealous of you guys that can travel with just carry-ons. My wife has her business trip packing down where she can do that, but neither of us seem to be able to do that for leisure trips. Part of my problem is I typically travel with a backpack full of about 25 pounds or more of camera gear, and my other carry-on item is my laptop bag with my Mac, cables, chargers, portable hard drive, etc.

Not checking luggage is this far away dream. :wall:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m always jealous of you guys that can travel with just carry-ons. My wife has her business trip packing down where she can do that, but neither of us seem to be able to do that for leisure trips. Part of my problem is I typically travel with a backpack full of about 25 pounds or more of camera gear, and my other carry-on item is my laptop bag with my Mac, cables, chargers, portable hard drive, etc.

Not checking luggage is this far away dream. :wall:

I can see the camera gear being an issue. I used to be a camera guy (years back in the film days :)). I now have only the mobile phone, but I periodically take some great pictures with that (and I take very few at all) and think that I'd like to do the camera thing again. That could well make a difference :)

As to all the computer stuff, the most I will bring when I travel is my work laptop (I'm one of those who doesn't fully disconnect from wok when on vacation and I actually like it that way), but I would never bring any of the rest of that stuff as I'd not need it.

On most trips, since I wear a size 12, my running shoes take up a good part of my luggage. Without that. I could use an even smaller bag. But I just know that I will, and will not, actually need and go with that.

Cheers.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way we will be going to NYC and staying at the Hilton Club for 8 nights in late August into September, what price range tickets can you get with the TKTS discount tickets and what is the discount? The really good upfront tickets are usually $250 or so each.

Depends on the show, but typically anywhere from 25-50% off. The higher percentages tend to be on the Off and Off Off Broadway shows at the smaller theatres. Some are fun. Front row are not likely, I would think, but we've gotten some quite nice seats. They have an app (surprise, surprise :)) that is worth getting just to see what is available. Also, certain groups can join tdf (the governing organization) for additional discounts. The list includes

• Retirees (no longer working and 62 years of age or older)

We will certainly do this once both those things happen.

They also have this in London, FYI, in Leicester Square.

Cheers.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I can see the camera gear being an issue. I used to be a camera guy (years back in the film days :)). I now have only the mobile phone, but I periodically take some great pictures with that (and I take very few at all) and think that I'd like to do the camera thing again. That could well make a difference :)

As to all the computer stuff, the most I will bring when I travel is my work laptop (I'm one of those who doesn't fully disconnect from wok when on vacation and I actually like it that way), but I would never bring any of the rest of that stuff as I'd not need it.

On most trips, since I wear a size 12, my running shoes take up a good part of my luggage. Without that. I could use an even smaller bag. But I just know that I will, and will not, actually need and go with that.

Cheers.
The computer gear supports the cameras. Gotta download memory cards to the laptop and back them up to the external hard drive before wiping the card for the next day. I shoot in RAW format, so the RAW files are large. A day or two of photos on a trip might be 50GB. I came back from French Polynesia last month with almost 200GB of images.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Depends on the show, but typically anywhere from 25-50% off. The higher percentages tend to be on the Off and Off Off Broadway shows at the smaller theatres. Some are fun. Front row are not likely, I would think, but we've gotten some quite nice seats. They have an app (surprise, surprise :)) that is worth getting just to see what is available. Also, certain groups can join tdf (the governing organization) for additional discounts. The list includes

• Retirees (no longer working and 62 years of age or older)

We will certainly do this once both those things happen.

They also have this in London, FYI, in Leicester Square.

Cheers.

For Broadway Shows what price range would the tickets that you can get a 25% discount on be in before the discount?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
For Broadway Shows what price range would the tickets that you can get a 25% discount on be in before the discount?

I think they have discounts in several of the price ranges. We always go for the best available, so I'm not sure what else might be available in other options, but I believe that they do (maybe sometimes, maybe always) have them.

Cheers.