• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Occupancy Help

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a deluxe lockoff at Shadow Ridge. For the past 4 out of 5 years I have invited my sister, her husband, her daughter, her husband and her son to join me. They paid for my airfare from the east coast, paid for the rental car and paid for all of the food. My niece and her husband live in LA and only come for Friday-Sunday. I share the lockoff with them. The rest of the time my nephew and I share the lockoff. This year I will not be going, but they would still like to use the units. They don't know if my nephew can go, and my niece and her husband will still only be there for Friday-Sunday. While I would like to be able to let them use the unit for free, I cannot swing it financally. What do you think is fair? If my nephew cannot go, do you think I can rent the lockoff for just Sunday through Friday?

I appreciate all responses!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It might be tough to coordinate with you not being there to make sure they split the accounts and the units properly to avoid the wrong villas being charged with the wrong room charges. I particularity don't think renting part of a week is really that effective. Especially when you aren't including a weekend in the rental stay. I think that would probably hurt potential income from the unit. Hopefully others can chime in that may have some experience with this, but unless your week is a prime week, it may be tough to rent out.

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a bit confused by your unit description and request. Do you own one of the deluxe lock-off units in the Enclaves section that essentially has two living rooms/two master bedrooms?

And you're asking about renting half of it for the whole week or are you asking about renting all of it/some of it for a few days?

Both can be done, but the latter is much more of a hassle. It requires a good deal of trust and communication.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am a bit confused by your unit description and request. Do you own one of the deluxe lock-off units in the Enclaves section that essentially has two living rooms/two master bedrooms?

And you're asking about renting half of it for the whole week or are you asking about renting all of it/some of it for a few days?

Both can be done, but the latter is much more of a hassle. It requires a good deal of trust and communication.
I think they want to rent one of the halfs for only five nights while their guest occupies the other two nights.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to recover cost of the MF, why don't you just split the cost between all parties who will be going? After all, they used to pay for your air fare and food and you won't be going this time. What they save they can simply chip in and pay you to cover the MF. Renting is a headache in itself unless you are experienced, plus partial week gets even more complicated.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, I own the type that has 2 living rooms/2 master bedrooms. It is a prime week in march. 2 years ago I rented it in 1 hour after posting on Redweek. I had 5 offers. Rented it for $600 more than maintenance fee. I am aware of the hassle of trying to rent the lock off without actually locking it off. That was my sister's idea. Leaning towards making it a Christmas present, but requesting ideas. Thanks for your reply.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to recover cost of the MF, why don't you just split the cost between all parties who will be going? After all, they used to pay for your air fare and food and you won't be going this time. What they save they can simply chip in and pay you to cover the MF. Renting is a headache in itself unless you are experienced, plus partial week gets even more complicated.
My MF are much more than than the air fare and food. Maybe a partial partial payment towards MF is appropriate. I've rented it many times. Never had a problem. Thanks for your response.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
It might be tough to coordinate with you not being there to make sure they split the accounts and the units properly to avoid the wrong villas being charged with the wrong room charges. I particularity don't think renting part of a week is really that effective. Especially when you aren't including a weekend in the rental stay. I think that would probably hurt potential income from the unit. Hopefully others can chime in that may have some experience with this, but unless your week is a prime week, it may be tough to rent out.
Thank you for pointing out the room charges without splitting it off. It is a prime week, but your weekend comment is spot on. Leaning towards making it a Christmas present.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
If you have rented it for $600 more than maintenance quickly and can't afford to give it away while you pay MF's. I would think asking for your family to just cover the fees is still a generous offer. If they decline the offer you can then rent it and make a little $ that will help you.

My new husband owns an EOY and his fees where almost $740.00 without taxes at the Villages (not the Enclaves) so expect $1400 to $1500 plus for this January. I own an annual at the villages and haven't received my bill yet nor is it online.

Good luck!

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
My new husband owns an EOY and his fees where almost $740.00 without taxes at the Villages (not the Enclaves) so expect $1400 to $1500 plus for this January. I own an annual at the villages and haven't received my bill yet nor is it online.!

The Shadowridge Village 2018 maintenance bills are out and have been for awhile. I received an email on November 28, but had seen it online at least 2 weeks prior to that. In fact, I paid mine on November 17.