• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ocean Oak Resort by HGVC

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone stayed @ RCI

Ocean Oak Resort by HGVC
Hilton Grand Vacation Club
South Forest Beach Drive
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
Phone 1-843-342-8400

• All 2-bedroom suites with full kitchen
  • Balcony and 2 bathrooms
  • Washer/Dryer in unit

Daily Resort Charge will be added to the room rate and includes:
Basic Guest Internet Access, Local and Toll-Free Calls,
Self Parking for One Vehicle, (2nd car $14/daily)
Unlimited DVD Rental and (2) 16 oz. Bottles of Water Per Day.

When did Ocean Oak Resort first opened? (2 years ago)
How many buildings and units do they have?
(Currently 60 condos ) plus (60 more to open next Mar)

epitonic

Reaction score
Just coming back from a third stay there. We love it: this is why I'm here as we're thinking to buy.

Any question?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
We just got back 2 weeks ago.
No Daily Resort Fee if you make your reservations with HGVC points.
We had a standard 2BR but still had a good ocean view.
Construction noise was irritating at times, but overall fine.
The unlimited DVD rental was a great perk.
The workout room had a decent selection of equipment, and even provided cold towels in a fridge for after your workout.
Bike rental was very inexpensive, and the bike racks were pretty much filled at all times.
Keyless entry to our room via wristbands.

Kurt

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
We just got back 2 weeks ago.

Keyless entry to our room via wristbands.

Kurt

Will be staying there in March 2019. Looking forward to it and hope the worst of the construction might be over by then. The keyless entry by wristband is apparently a new perk for HGVC Elite members only. The rest of us plebes will still have to use our room key!! :p

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
How hard is it to get a reservation at Ocean Oaks? Is it possible to get reservations 9 months?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Will be staying there in March 2019. Looking forward to it and hope the worst of the construction might be over by then. The keyless entry by wristband is apparently a new perk for HGVC Elite members only. The rest of us plebes will still have to use our room key!! :p
I thought I saw other people wearing non-elite wrists bands, but maybe that was just a coincidence? Personally, I don't care for the "special" wrist bands and I always say we are "elite by accident" since we actually purchased all of our weeks via resale, but two of the weeks ended up being qualified since they were purchased via a HGVC agent.

I'm sure you will have no issue with the construction noise, as the building will be very close to done by then (if not completed). They were putting on the metal roof the week we were there and most of the windows / doors were already installed. If they are still working on it in March, it would be just inside finishing.

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How hard is it to get a reservation at Ocean Oaks? Is it possible to get reservations 9 months?
As a HGVC owner, I made our reservation right at 9 months out. With the soon-to-be-completed addition, it should be easier. I have no idea how hard it would be to trade in via RCI.

Kurt

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As a HGVC owner, I made our reservation right at 9 months out. With the soon-to-be-completed addition, it should be easier. I have no idea how hard it would be to trade in via RCI.

Kurt

Very close to being owners (we are in the paperwork phase of our purchase) so we can book via online at 9 months. Did you have to walk your reservation?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Very close to being owners (we are in the paperwork phase of our purchase) so we can book via online at 9 months. Did you have to walk your reservation?
No, I didn't. However I was just going for a standard room, not a Plus (Ocean View) or Premier (Ocean Front). As it worked out, our standard room had a perfectly fine view of the ocean:

IMG_1321.jpg

Kurt

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22

It depends upon when you want to go. For instance right now, 9 months out puts it right into the peak Spring and Easter break season and very little is available. On the other hand, if you want to book in January or February 2019 there is lots of choice, since that is not the time when most people want to be at Hilton Head. As Kurt indicated, once the new building is finished, it will double the capacity at Ocean Oak, which should help a bit.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It depends upon when you want to go. For instance right now, 9 months out puts it right into the peak Spring and Easter break season and very little is available. On the other hand, if you want to book in January or February 2019 there is lots of choice, since that is not the time when most people want to be at Hilton Head. As Kurt indicated, once the new building is finished, it will double the capacity at Ocean Oak, which should help a bit.

We would be looking at the end of June for our family trip. Ocean Oaks is one place we are thinking about.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
We would be looking at the end of June for our family trip. Ocean Oaks is one place we are thinking about.

You will probably need to book right at the 9-month mark then, since that is peak (platinum) season. If the second building is open by then, that may help you. You could also consider Anderson Ocean Club and Ocean 22 in Myrtle Beach, since the weather will be good there, too, by the end of June and there is a lot more inventory. If the third Myrtle Beach property, Ocean Enclave, is online by then it will add another 330 units.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. Not quite sure on Myrtle Beach. We are not golfers and the idea of going into Savannah for a day or two is appealing. From what my wife and I gather, Myrtle Beach is beach and golf and that’s about it. Hilton Head has a little more available. If someone has a different take on that, it would be much appreciated.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
If the third Myrtle Beach property, Ocean Enclave, is online by then it will add another 330 units.

It looks like Ocean Enclave inventory is loaded online beginning June 2019.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Thanks. Not quite sure on Myrtle Beach. We are not golfers and the idea of going into Savannah for a day or two is appealing. From what my wife and I gather, Myrtle Beach is beach and golf and that’s about it. Hilton Head has a little more available. If someone has a different take on that, it would be much appreciated.

Not sure i agree, but to each his own. While Myrtle Beach is known for its golf courses, lots of people golf at Hilton Head, too. Neither my wife nor I are golfers, but Ocean 22 is our home resort. Of course, the beach is one of the strong attractions for us, just as it is at Hilton Head. There are lots of restaurants and at least as many activities in Myrtle Beach (outside of golf) as there are at Hilton Head, IMO. You also have lots of places you can go for day trips, including places like Georgetown and Charleston.

I would suggest taking a little closer look at what is available at Myrtle Beach and the surrounding area, before you strike it off your list. Happy to help if you have any questions. Next spring we will be spending the first week at Ocean Oak, followed by a weekend in Charleston and the final week at Ocean 22. We will be enjoying some great restaurants and activities in all three locations.

You could always add on a 3- or 4-day stay in Myrtle Beach to a stay in Hilton Head to check it out. There are certainly more than enough things to do to keep you busy for a short trip. We often book a shorter trip the first time to see if we like an area enough for a longer visit later. Very easy to do if you are passing by anyway. You can then decide for yourself whether Myrtle Beach is for you.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not sure i agree, but to each his own. While Myrtle Beach is known for its golf courses, lots of people golf at Hilton Head, too. Neither my wife nor I are golfers, but Ocean 22 is our home resort. Of course, the beach is one of the strong attractions for us, just as it is at Hilton Head. There are lots of restaurants and at least as many activities in Myrtle Beach (outside of golf) as there are at Hilton Head, IMO. You also have lots of places you can go for day trips, including places like Georgetown and Charleston.

I would suggest taking a little closer look at what is available at Myrtle Beach and the surrounding area, before you strike it off your list. Happy to help if you have any questions. Next spring we will be spending the first week at Ocean Oak, followed by a weekend in Charleston and the final week at Ocean 22. We will be enjoying some great restaurants and activities in all three locations.

You could always add on a 3- or 4-day stay in Myrtle Beach to a stay in Hilton Head to check it out. There are certainly more than enough things to do to keep you busy for a short trip. We often book a shorter trip the first time to see if we like an area enough for a longer visit later. Very easy to do if you are passing by anyway. You can then decide for yourself whether Myrtle Beach is for you.

One of the reasons why I’m asking. I have always wanted to visit Savannah so two days there and three plus on the beach was what we were looking at. I have never thought of Charleston as a destination spot.

My biggest fear is my will be 15 and 9 year old boys with not a lot to do besides beach. They can handle about three days of it, but will need a little more. We are deciding here pretty soon what to do during that time. Any activities in Myrtle Beach or Charleston that you know of would be much appreciated.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Myrtle Beach is a more traditional beach resort destination - lots of high rise condos and hotels along the ocean, heavily commercialized, miniature golf places everywhere, chain restaurants galore, amusement parks, music entertainment venues, everything from families vacationing to teens and young adults looking for a party. Lots of strip commercial development, etc. Hilton Head, by contrast, is more low-rise development than high rise. Nothing over about 5 or 6 stories. LOTS of trees and lush landscaping with very strong signage and zoning standards. Very little "strip commercial" development. Bike paths everywhere, as bike rentals are one of the most popular island activities. Many restaurants, but most are locally owned or locally owned chains. Very few national chains. Lots of gated communities with, generally a more low-key upscale feel than the more mass-market Myrtle Beach. Family oriented and retirees. Not a party destination. Each gives you a different type of coastal experience. You have to decide which experience you prefer.

Last edited:

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I think that @JIMinNC has done an excellent job of summarizing the experiences/differences between Myrtle Beach and HHI. It really depends on which experience best meets your needs.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Myrtle Beach is a more traditional beach resort destination - lots of high rise condos and hotels along the ocean, heavily commercialized, miniature golf places everywhere, chain restaurants galore, amusement parks, music entertainment venues, everything from families vacationing to teens and young adults looking for a party. Lots of strip commercial development, etc. Hilton Head, by contrast, is more more low-rise development than high rise. Nothing over about 5 or 6 stories. LOTS of trees and lush landscaping with very strong signage and zoning standards. Very little "strip commercial" development. Bike paths everywhere, as bike rentals are one of the most popular island activities. Many restaurants, but most are locally owned or locally owned chains. Very few national chains. Lots of gated communities with, generally a more low-key upscale feel than the more mass-market Myrtle Beach. Family oriented and retirees. Not a party destination. Each gives you a different type of coastal experience. You have to decide which experience you prefer.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I think that @JIMinNC has done an excellent job of summarizing the experiences/differences between Myrtle Beach and HHI. It really depends on which experience best meets your needs.

I would agree he has captured the overall differences quite well...especially the mini-golf courses everywhere in Myrtle Beach (lol). That was our initial observation, too, the first time we visited.

The only comment I would add would be to say that Jim has left the impression with me that there would seem to be ONLY national chain restaurants in strip malls in Myrtle Beach. We rarely patronize national chain restaurants, except occasionally for convenience. Of course they do exist in large quantities, as they do in virtually every North American town or city of more than a few thousand residents. We prefer locally owned or local chain restaurants of which there are also many, whether in Myrtle Beach itself, North Myrtle Beach or in nearby places like Murrell's Inlet or Georgetown.

I certainly never intended to imply the two locations were similar. That is why we like both; because they are different. Just as we enjoy visits to Chicago or NYC, as well as time spent in the Muskokas or the Adirondacks. The intention of my previous reply was simply to let dayooper know that there were lots of activities in Myrtle Beach for his two boys, besides golf and the beaches, since that seemed to be his concern.

Last edited:

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
I'm headed to Ocean Oak this weekend. Made my reservation at nine months, got a Premier Ocean Front, no problem.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
I spent a week at Ocean Oaks in June and had to make our reservation 9 months out and then walk it across the week to get what we wanted. I must say it was definitely worth it as the beach access and amenities are top notch. dayooper, this was a perfect location for us to day trip into Savannah and enjoy the history and freshly made pralines. The river cruise was a great way to enjoy the waterfront.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Here at Ocean Oak now. New building will start housing vacationers in February per front desk.

That's the news I was hoping to hear! It should mean we have little or no construction noise when we are there in early March. Thanks for the update. :thumbup:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here at Ocean Oak now. New building will start housing vacationers in February per front desk.
It will be interesting to see what the pool area will be like after they open the new building and double the size of the resort. We were there in July and it was almost impossible to get a pool chair -- I can't imagine what it will be like with twice the number of people at the resort! :(

Kurt