• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ocean Pointe Hurricane Updates

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Don't expect any information or assistance from Marriott on this. You won't find out until a week or so before if your II exchange is cancelled. They are leaving people hanging until they ultimately decide to cancel your reservation. A better alternative would be to reach out to people to see if anyone is willing to voluntarily give up their reservations so they can help those with less flexible plans. Poor response by Marriott all around with everything regarding the hurricane damages this year.
Oh no!
I booked my daughter and family thru II into OP 12/14/17 as a replacement for our Westin St John trip .... I had no idea they were not up and running.

This is deceptive on Marriott’s part to allow exchanges to be made when they can’t guarentee occupancy.

MVC is handling this whole situation poorly.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh no!
I booked my daughter and family thru II into OP 12/14/17 as a replacement for our Westin St John trip .... I had no idea they were not up and running.

This is deceptive on Marriott’s part to allow exchanges to be made when they can’t guarentee occupancy.

MVC is handling this whole situation poorly.
Hopefully, the resort will be able to accommodate you by the end of November. New reservations are being accepted on the MVC website beginning on 11/15, so that is a good sign. I was supposed to check in on 10/29, but most II exchanges will be cancelled for next weekend. Oceana Palms was full, so I reserved 5 nights using 180k MR points at the Marriott Singer Island resort so I don't have to cancel my trip. It is a very nice all suite resort. If you have MR or MVC points, you might want to make a back up reservation for Oceana Palms or the Marriott resort.

The damage at Ocean Pointe was primarily to carpeting and drywall, so they should be able to bring several villas online each week. I suggest you continue to monitor the situation. Ocean Pointe has a facebook page, so you can check there or with Interval's TUG rep. MVC owners services has done nothing to communicate or help during this situation. I was only able to get information as an owner from the GM at Ocean Pointe and from Interval. I learned that II exchanges are of lowest priority to MVC, even when they are by MVC/home resort owners.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received owner update emails from the GM's at Ocean Pointe and Oceana Palms. The emails are identical even though I'm not aware of any damage at Oceana Palms. The staff and contractors at Ocean Pointe are really working hard to bring the resort back up to full operation. I will be there on Saturday for a 1 night VC stay and will provide more details.

Dear Marriott's Oceana Palms Owner,

As you are aware, Hurricane Irma made landfall in the State of Florida on Sunday, September 10th, which resulted in hurricane force winds and wind-driven rain impacts at Marriott's Oceana Palms, as well as property damage and disruption for businesses and residents in the Singer Island area. Thankfully, no injuries or loss-of-life were sustained at Marriott's Oceana Palms as a result of the storm.

From a property standpoint, the degree of damage at Marriott's Oceana Palms has varied from minor water intrusion in some of the villas and public spaces, to damage which necessitated the complete removal, disposal, and replacement of drywall and carpeting in many areas. The resort was partially opened for occupancy on September 19th, and efforts have now been largely completed to restore the resort to its pre-hurricane condition.

The primary damage that occurred to your resort included:

• Moderate tree and landscape damage
  • Storm debris deposited throughout the pool and pool deck
  • Water intrusion within villas
  • Minor façade damage
  • Damage to several exterior fixtures
As repair and remediation efforts are completed by early-November, the management company will continue to work closely with your Board of Directors to quantify the financial impact that is associated with this unforeseen event. If applicable, the management company will also be processing reimbursement claims on the Association's behalf with the insurance carrier that provides the Association's wind and property insurance coverage.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we complete necessary repairs. The team at Marriott's Oceana Palms looks forward to welcoming you and your family back for your next vacation!

Sincerely,

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ocean Pointe sent one an hour and a half before Oceana's. It looks like they also expect to be fully operational by early November.

Dear Marriott's Ocean Pointe Owner,

As you are aware, Hurricane Irma made landfall in the State of Florida on Sunday, September 10th, which resulted in hurricane force winds and wind-driven rain impacts at Marriott's Ocean Pointe, as well as property damage and disruption for businesses and residents in the Singer Island area. Thankfully, no injuries or loss-of-life were sustained at Marriott's Ocean Pointe as a result of the storm.

From a property standpoint, the degree of damage at Marriott's Ocean Pointe has varied from minor water intrusion in some of the villas and public spaces, to damage which necessitated the complete removal, disposal, and replacement of drywall and carpeting in many areas. The resort was partially opened for occupancy on September 23rd, and efforts remain ongoing to preserve and repair the Association's assets and restore the resort to its pre-hurricane condition.

The primary damage that occurred to your resort included:

• Significant tree and landscape damage
  • Storm debris deposited throughout the pools and pool decks
  • Water intrusion within villas
  • Roof and exterior façade damage
  • Damage to the exterior awning on the check-in building
As repair and remediation efforts are completed to support the anticipated complete re-opening of Marriott's Ocean Pointe in early-November, the management company will continue to work closely with your Board of Directors to understand the financial impact that is associated with this unforeseen event. If applicable, the management company will also be processing reimbursement claims on the Association's behalf with the insurance carrier that provides the Association's wind and property insurance coverage.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we complete necessary repairs. The team at Marriott's Ocean Pointe looks forward to welcoming you and your family back for your next vacation!

Sincerely,

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just returned from a wonderful 7 night stay at Ocean Pointe. Thanks to the help of the GM and an initial VC points reservation for one night, my reservation through II wasn't cancelled. The resort facilities are in pretty good shape and the Cobia pool is open. Most Ocean front villas were still unavailable last week, but many are opening up this weekend. The GM commented that he was very happy to see long check-in lines yesterday, a true sign more capacity is coming back online. Staff is great and the surrounding area shows very little sign of damage.

Most of the damage was to carpeting and drywall, but everyone had to work very hard to get repairs done on a timely basis due to limited availability of contractors, and the discovery of unexpected water damage/ mildew that were exacerbated by the power outage. Although I was very dissatisfied how MVC corporate responded to the complete situation, management of the resorts continue to be very concerned about their owners.

I have a couple of updated restaurant recommendations:
  • Captain Charlie's Reef seafood restaurant: Fantastic fresh seafood at a fair price, but need to get there by 5:30 to avoid long waits
  • Juno Beach Fish House: Excellent happy hour and sunset dining special, good seafood, and 2lb. lobster (Maine) on Tuesday night
Both are favorites with locals and it is important to get there early.

budnj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad you were able to get there!
We changed to Hilton Head, had very nice week there.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of updated restaurant recommendations:
  • Captain Charlie's Reef seafood restaurant: Fantastic fresh seafood at a fair price, but need to get there by 5:30 to avoid long waits
  • Juno Beach Fish House: Excellent happy hour and sunset dining special, good seafood, and 2lb. lobster (Maine) on Tuesday night
Both are favorites with locals and it is important to get there early.

Two that we never miss. Glad you had a great time and thanks for the update.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Lowly exchanger here who was very excited to score this trip...I have a week at Oceana Palms starting November 30 with the following week at Ocean Pointe. II says "as far as they know" my reservations are in no danger of being cancelled. Is Marriott still canceling on a week-by-week basis, or is there some phone # I can call to get info as to whether my reservations will be honored? I'm flying in from PA so if they cancel just a week ahead it doesn't give me much time to line up alternatives.

I had an Oceana Palms ressie that was cancelled last minute.
I had purchased the retrade option but when they cancelled the week, the replacement week didn't come with the last retrade that should have been there. It was a big to-do to get them to rebook something for me.
Luckily I was heading to Orlando and had another exchange that I had used so did a retrade on that one and was able to get an Orlando Harbour Lakes unit last minute that worked out, but had I not called up and pretty much begged for them to help me, I would have been SOL on that last retrade. That is so unfair. The retrade was clearly there and I could have done it myself, but I was rolling the dice that they would honor the ressie since the resort told me that they were open again over the phone. Yes they were open but only for owners, not for exchangers. All II exchanges were cancelled. So if you aren't getting anywhere and you still have time to purchase the retrade, I suggest you do it and exchange yourself so you don't get screwed. I live in FL so I am flexible but can't imagine the nightmare for someone flying into the area. Good luck.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had an Oceana Palms ressie that was cancelled last minute.
I had purchased the retrade option but when they cancelled the week, the replacement week didn't come with the last retrade that should have been there. It was a big to-do to get them to rebook something for me.
Luckily I was heading to Orlando and had another exchange that I had used so did a retrade on that one and was able to get an Orlando Harbour Lakes unit last minute that worked out, but had I not called up and pretty much begged for them to help me, I would have been SOL on that last retrade. That is so unfair. The retrade was clearly there and I could have done it myself, but I was rolling the dice that they would honor the ressie since the resort told me that they were open again over the phone. Yes they were open but only for owners, not for exchangers. All II exchanges were cancelled. So if you aren't getting anywhere and you still have time to purchase the retrade, I suggest you do it and exchange yourself so you don't get screwed. I live in FL so I am flexible but can't imagine the nightmare for someone flying into the area. Good luck.
When was your reservation at Oceana Palms? I wasn't aware that they had that much damage or were also cancelling II exchanges. I spoke with a few other II exchangers last week, so at least some exchanges were being honored. All owners of oceanfront units were assigned ocean view because the ocean fronts received the most water damage.

donnaval

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I will be okay for at least the first part of the trip - I got an email from Oceana Palms asking for my preferences for location, giving me the choices of Sunrise low floors only, or Sunset low or high floors. My second week is at Ocean Pointe and I have not received anything from them.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I will be okay for at least the first part of the trip - I got an email from Oceana Palms asking for my preferences for location, giving me the choices of Sunrise low floors only, or Sunset low or high floors. My second week is at Ocean Pointe and I have not received anything from them.
I recommend the sunrise low floor, North view. All villas in the sunrise tower have excellent ocean views and rooms start on the 8th floor. I actually prefer the 'lower' floors at Oceana Palms because it is a high rise. They appear to be starting foundation work at the new condo just South, so it may be more quiet on the North side.

I think you will be ok at Ocean Pointe because they were opening up most of the damaged villas and accepting VC reservations this weekend. Have a great trip.