• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

% of resale owners

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I suspect that there are very few active Tuggers. I always see the same people commenting here. Even on TUG, very few people own multiple weeks. The Marriott forum did a survey. Very few responded and of the people who did, very few owned a lot of weeks. Anyway, the industry is moving towards points in the future and things will be changing a lot with Marriott’s domination of the timeshare industry.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
i totally understand why owners who have no intention to buy more but spent a lot of money to buy retail are not happy to have this kind of conversation.

I really don't mind having this conversation if handled in an appropriate way. However, an in-person conversation with someone who acts as if I'm stupid for buying direct would not be pleasant at all.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I really don't mind having this conversation if handled in an appropriate way. However, an in-person conversation with someone who acts as if I'm stupid for buying direct would not be pleasant at all.

I am not comfortable having these conversations in person. I do not like discussing how much I paid for things with people I meet at resorts. How do you even introduce this topic in person? Do you go up to the person and say “Hi I am TT. I paid $X resale for my week (or points) here. How did you buy yours and how much did you pay? BTW, have you heard of TUG?” LOL (Tongue in cheek)

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you are right , it is the tone makes the music. A genuine intend to help and provide information (with no self serving benefit) can be easily misinterpreted and annoy a lot of people.
To Traveltime, I did not even start the conversations, it happened for me more than once that i was asked if i was an owner at the resort and then the conversations went that way. One does not have to provide "i paid x$" but you can say you can get an interesting deal by buying from another owner rather than from the resort, you will not have staroptions but still trade on Interval. To my shock (and again i did not have the conversation with many) people ask if it is not MORE expensive to buy resale! I think this is what they are lead to believe by the developer.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think what makes the Vistana mandatory resorts and the Hyatt system special right now is that they are virtually identical to buying direct. They come with almost all the benefits of buying direct. Those are the ones I would be promoting if I were to be a resale advocate at the resorts I visit. I do not own Hyatt but I read the Hyatt forum and it seems to have high guest satisfaction.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not comfortable having these conversations in person. I do not like discussing how much I paid for things with people I meet at resorts. How do you even introduce this topic in person? Do you go up to the person and say “Hi I am TT. I paid $X resale for my week (or points) here. How did you buy yours and how much did you pay? BTW, have you heard of TUG?” LOL (Tongue in cheek)
That isn't it at all. A conversation never would start this way, it would perhaps progress to this in some form. Usually you strike up a conversation about nothing specific; weather, where are you from. Then it can go anywhere and in some cases where you own, what you own and how you bought it comes up.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That isn't it at all. A conversation never would start this way, it would perhaps progress to this in some form. Usually you strike up a conversation about nothing specific; weather, where are you from. Then it can go anywhere and in some cases where you own, what you own and how you bought it comes up.

Yes I know. I was exagerrating. I said “LOL Tongue in cheek” at the end.

cooldj23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am currently at Broadway Plantation on an Interval Getaway in a Two BR villa for $327 for the week. Went to the presentation to get the $100 plus two free adult Seafood buffets. We own four resale mandatory weeks that total 169,000 Starwood points. We paid roughly 25% of the developer price back in 2007-2008 ( before the recession). They cost a lot less now.
They offerred to move our 169,000 points to the new Marriott/ Starwood flex program for $20K. Supposedly we would be elite members with ability to book 2 years out, and use the property management to “sell” unused points and make money on the deal. No written details were provided. The idea of being able to book in advance, to sell weeks, and convert options to interval sounded appealing, but at the end of the day we would be paying $20K for the same MF’s, options and points that we already have. So we took the $100 and left. But I am intrigued by the ability to access Marriott timeshare properties, use the property mgmt to “make money”, and convert points to interval and get two or three weeks for every one.
If this is the wrong forum to post I apologize. And Calgaltraveller, for what its worth, I am a coin collector.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Am currently at Broadway Plantation on an Interval Getaway in a Two BR villa for $327 for the week. Went to the presentation to get the $100 plus two free adult Seafood buffets. We own four resale mandatory weeks that total 169,000 Starwood points. We paid roughly 25% of the developer price back in 2007-2008 ( before the recession). They cost a lot less now.
They offerred to move our 169,000 points to the new Marriott/ Starwood flex program for $20K. Supposedly we would be elite members with ability to book 2 years out, and use the property management to “sell” unused points and make money on the deal. No written details were provided. The idea of being able to book in advance, to sell weeks, and convert options to interval sounded appealing, but at the end of the day we would be paying $20K for the same MF’s, options and points that we already have. So we took the $100 and left. But I am intrigued by the ability to access Marriott timeshare properties, use the property mgmt to “make money”, and convert points to interval and get two or three weeks for every one.
If this is the wrong forum to post I apologize. And Calgaltraveller, for what its worth, I am a coin collector.
There is no Marriott/Starwood Flex program. There is a Westin Flex and a Sheraton Flex program. THere is no access to Marriott properties through those flex programs. You can also only book 12 months out within them, not 2 years.

cooldj23

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is what I understood going in, but he said “It’s lucky that I didn’t sign up for the Starwood flex last time because the new one includes both Starwood and Marriott properties”. He referred to it as MCS I believe. Supposedly an email went out to all owners nine weeks ago, though I never saw it.
I have seen nothing on tug referring to this new offer. Was the whole thing a lie?

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is what I understood going in, but he said “It’s lucky that I didn’t sign up for the Starwood flex last time because the new one includes both Starwood and Marriott properties”. He referred to it as MCS I believe. Supposedly an email went out to all owners nine weeks ago, though I never saw it.
I have seen nothing on tug referring to this new offer. Was the whole thing a lie?

I never got an email about MCS ... I call bullsh$?

cooldj23

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems that the correct term is MVC the Marriott Vacation Club. They also mentioned a Property Management feature that we can “ rent out” our weeks and make a profit. Has anyone used this feature and has anyone gotten a similar pitch to move to this new all inclusive program?

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think your sales person did a great job of mixing up the timeshare and hotel sides of the Marriott/Vistana merger to get you interested in buying! The Marriott/Starwood hotel points programs have been fully integrated, and you can now reserve at any hotel in the system with loyalty hotel points. You can also convert your StarOptions and Marriott Destination Club points into hotel points (at a poor conversion rate), but you cannot use Vistana StarOptions for Marriott Vacation Club timeshares or vice versa right now. Maybe we'll see it in the future, but no one knows if, when, or how that will happen.

You were smart to walk away from this "deal" and get your $100! :clap:

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Really? Gaming the system?? How?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess by paying less upfront. Or knowing how to use it better, most people I meet with timeshares don’t know how to maximize booking and usage to get the premium booking slots.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only in the timeshare world the subsequent owners are less "legit" than the initial owner. What a crooked perception initiated and maintained by the developers. I did not buy my house from the developer. Should i feel embarrassed that i am not the original owner?

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Arda figures say 9 million "households" own timeshares in the US.

if I had to guess, id say less than 10% were resale owners(and of that 10%, probably 95% only discovered resale after buying retail first)

RichardY

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find this topic interesting after being a TS owner for 22 yrs. While on a vacation in Orlando with my wife and 6 yr old son at the time, we went on our first TS tour (I'd call it sales salvo) at Vistana in 1996. I fell for the pitch and purchased a 2BR for what I think was $14K. Next day we went to the Marriott Royal Palms. While I was listening to the secondary pitch by the sales mgr to buy a 2 BR unit for $17K, I blurted out as a defensive comeback, "your prices are too high - I'd buy a resale if they were lower". It just popped in my head that there must be some people that want out of their units, so why can't I buy one of them? The sales mgr immediately took me into another room and had a fairly lengthy list of re-sales. I purchased a floating Red Week (although deed is for July 4th week) for $12,500, or $4,500 less than the other sales room. Then I realized that I probably screwed up on the Vistana purchase, but had 10 days to rescind. I returned home and looked around on the internet (when it took a minute or two for a page to download) and saw re-sale companies even then. I called one and was told that I could get Vistana for 1/2 of what I paid, or less. Wow, I immediately rescinded my Vistana purchase. I then found TUG and called and spoke with Brian's father at great length and joined. I used to call periodically and we had great conversations.

The following year I went back to Orlando and did a tour at Cypress Pointe (was a Gold Crown and nice in 1997) and they wanted $16,500 for a 3BR. I then found the same unit for $5000 on the internet as a resale and bought it. I used to rent it for nearly 2x my maint fees through TUG and recouped my $5000 back in about 7 yrs. Never once stepped foot in the resort and either rented or deposited into RCI for maximum points. I would tell anyone I ran into to go on tours but buy on internet (or some form of resale) after they understand the pricing. I recently flipped the Cypress Pointe back to Diamond and was glad to be rid of it - the maint fees had doubled since 1997 and it ran it's life cycle with me - impossible to rent and points through RCI deposit were only 2/3 of where they once were, while the cost of owning doubled! I kept the Marriott only b/c we can turn the unit back for hotel points, even though it is no longer a good trade-off, since the points are the same as in 1996, but the points to stay at a Marriott hotel has risen 50-100% since 1996. I called Marriott earlier this year and they said the average resale price for my unit was $4000 to me if they sell it. I decided to hold onto the Royal Palms a few more years.

I must admit that I was really into TUG for about 7 years after I joined and then dropped out. Spotted it online a few years back and decided to re-join and have appreciated the forums. It was this forum that enlightened me to deed-back my Cypress Pointe TS to Diamond earlier this year. Very good decision. TUG has really grown from the mid-1990s for sure. I belong to II and RCI both but use them to book cruises only. If I wanted a TS week I think I would rent one online like TUG classifieds. With so many TS rentals on the market, I would guess that there would be a lot less owners if they knew they could find good rentals all the time on sites like TUG, and never be on the hook for maint fees that increase too much over the years, at least in my case. Even my Marriott maint fees are 2x what they were in 1996.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Arda figures say 9 million "households" own timeshares in the US.

if I had to guess, id say less than 10% were resale owners(and of that 10%, probably 95% only discovered resale after buying retail first)

How many TUG members are there? Would that make for a good guesstimate as to the possible maximum number of resale owners out there? It seems like it would be hard to buy resale without knowing about TUG, unless someone gifts a timeshare to you, but then I am not sure if you really count as a resale buyer.

BigRedOne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have owned our TS since the early 80’s and there probably weren’t any resales back then. Don’t forget that no one can afford to sell their TS until they have it payed for (or at least close to payed for). My resort was developed by a local developer in Branson and we have been very happy with it. That is probably going to change when I get my next MF bill. The resort has been bought out by a large TS company and they are trying to get everyone to upgrade to one of their new resorts for a considerable amount of $$$$$$. I’m not sure what their endgame is but just about all of the owners at my resort are in their 60’s, 70’s and 80’s and aren’t wanting to go into debt again.

Our original developer passed away several years ago, his son took over and didn’t do any maintenance. Now the resort needs some rather expensive upgrades/repairs. The new owner is THREATENING the current owners with $7000 or $8000 (yes that’s in thousands) in special assessment to get them to buy into their new resort. I probably would be willing to just give my resort away but someone is still going to have to pay for these repairs so I’m not sure what’s going to happen. Bottom line is that this new developer will kill any chances of selling or even giving away my unit at resale.

Back to the original question, I am guessing that the amount of resale timeshares is well under 5%.

topcop400

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Wyndham Oceanside Pier
Wyndham Old Town Alexandria
If I had to guess, id say less than 10% were resale owners (and of that 10%, probably 95% only discovered resale after buying retail first)

I’m the rare breed who has only purchased resale. I was fortunate enough to have a friend who went down the path of developer purchase and subsequently found the resale market. She told me she’d pinch my head off if I purchased from a developer.

Is there animosity toward me from those who first purchased from a developer?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Just remember there would be a smaller resell market if someone had not bought from the Developer to start.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I’m the rare breed who has only purchased resale. I was fortunate enough to have a friend who went down the path of developer purchase and subsequently found the resale market. She told me she’d pinch my head off if I purchased from a developer.

Is there animosity toward me from those who first purchased from a developer?

No animosity. Just envy.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate to find TUG back in 2014. I had been in various timeshare presentations even before then but never really was sold or interested in the concept until we did a tour at Westin Kaanapali Resort when we were staying at the Sheraton Maui. Mainly did it for the the star points but being a fan of Starwood Hotels I was interested so did some research after declining the sales presentation. Since then I have amassed a nice little timeshare portfolio of over 30 units that I bought resale in various locations mainly with Vistana, a few Hyatt and some prime ski locations. And I’m always looking for more if there are some good resale deals. Plan is to be able to stay in a timeshare for a whole year when I retire