• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Official changes to Marriott Rewards program effective 8/18/18

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Is it for 7 nights or 5 nights?
I think they look at it more from what the prior packages cost vs what they would cost now based on the mapping. The category 8 five night certificates was 300,000. They may now consider the new cat 5 to be on par with the old cat 7? That old cat 7 cost 270,000 points. So the difference is the 30,000 that was refunded. Just my hypothesis, but they wouldn't base it on the cost of each night before and after or even as they are now. It would be based on the package prices and how they match up to the new categories.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Below is the new 5 night Travel Package redemption chart. I did a comparison of just the Category 6 TPs using the maximum Group 1 FF redemption option (120k/132k United) before and (100k/110k United) now. How does this reflect against the current Marriott offer to refund 30k MRPs for requesting a 1 category downgrade of any Category 6, Category 8, or Tier 1-3 package? See below.

index.php

Is the 30k MRP refund a 'good' deal? It really depends on how Marriott is going to treat pre-8/18/18 TPs.

The pre-8/18/18 Category 6 cost 250k. After 8/18/18, it now maps to the Category 1-4 TP at a cost of 270k. So, if I paid 250k for a TP that now costs 270k, I've already 'saved' 20k MRPs in redemption costs from my account. Offering me another 30k MRPs (to bring me to a total 'savings' of 50k) seems counter-intuitive for Marriott - unless they are not really going to enforce mapping down pre-8/18/18 Category 6 TPs to be worth only Category 1-4 redemptions now.

If a pre-Category 6 is still actually redeemable for a post-Category 6 (or even a post-Category 5), then offering me 30k MRPs to downgrade a package actually saves Marriott money (based on the costs of points redemptions in rooms occupied versus cash rentals).

So, why the 30k MRP refund offer by Marriott? I have no idea, except that there has to be a 'benefit' to Marriott by offering it (over and above any benefit being extended to us the customer) ... IMHO.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Below are the 5 night Travel Package redemption charts. The first, is the pre-8/18/18 chart. Below that is the post-8/18/18 chart. I did a comparison of just the Category 6 TPs using the maximum Group 1 FF redemption option (120k/132k United) before and (100k/110k United) now. How does this reflect against the current Marriott offer to refund 30k MRPs for requesting a 1 category downgrade of any Category 6, Category 8, or Tier 1-3 package? See below.

View attachment 8109

index.php

Is the 30k MRP refund a 'good' deal? It really depends on how Marriott is going to treat pre-8/18/18 TPs.

The pre-8/18/18 Category 6 cost 250k. After 8/18/18, it now maps to the Category 1-4 TP at a cost of 270k. So, if I paid 250k for a TP that now costs 270k, I've already 'saved' 20k MRPs in redemption costs from my account. Offering me another 30k MRPs (to bring me to a total 'savings' of 50k) seems counter-intuitive for Marriott - unless they are not really going to enforce mapping down pre-8/18/18 Category 6 TPs to be worth only Category 1-4 redemptions now.

If a pre-Category 6 is still actually redeemable for a post-Category 6 (or even a post-Category 5), then offering me 30k MRPs to downgrade a package actually saves Marriott money (based on the costs of points redemptions in rooms occupied versus cash rentals).

So, why the 30k MRP refund offer by Marriott? I have no idea, except that there has to be a 'benefit' to Marriott by offering it (over and above any benefit being extended to us the customer) ... IMHO.
Keep in mind that the 30K refund is for seven night packages. Those are the ones that are most used by MR members.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Below are the 5 night Travel Package redemption charts. The first, is the pre-8/18/18 chart. Below that is the post-8/18/18 chart. I did a comparison of just the Category 6 TPs using the maximum Group 1 FF redemption option (120k/132k United) before and (100k/110k United) now. How does this reflect against the current Marriott offer to refund 30k MRPs for requesting a 1 category downgrade of any Category 6, Category 8, or Tier 1-3 package? See below.

View attachment 8109

index.php

What is the “mapping” you refer to?

Are you saying that an old cat 6 certificate will only go to a cat 1-4 because the current 1-4 point requirement is the same as old 6?

Marriott has never worked that way when they inflated point requirements in the past.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the quickest way to get to the holding spot for a Rewards rep?

The recorded message is frustrating. I’ve found if I try to answer any of the question it try’s to respond with a recorded answer. If I keep asking for a representative I get someone in reservations.

What system do you use?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Are you saying that an old cat 6 certificate will only go to a cat 1-4 because the current 1-4 point requirement is the same as old 6?

Marriott has never worked that way when they inflated point requirements in the past.

For pre-8/18/18 TPs, supposedly if you had the accommodation certificate portion of a TP booked to a specific property by 8/18/18, you were 'immune' from having your TP mapped to a different category. What remains to be seen is what Marriott is doing to all TP accommodation certificates that were not attached to an upcoming reservation by 8/18/18. One possibility is they will be 'mapped' to the closest point value category - which for a Category 6 is the new Category 1-4. My prior post was from that perspective.

Is that what they are doing? :shrug:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I spent 3 hours on the telephone with Marriott (last night into this morning) on this very question. Both Category 5 and Category 6 TPs are being mapped to Category 1-4 (at least mine are). After speaking to 3 different 'escalated' persons - first 'regular' reservations, then 'elite' services, and lastly 'platinum desk', I was able to get someone who could generate the 30k MRP refund for each of my Category 6 packages that I asked to downgrade. (So, it can be done over the phone now.)

The downgrades are complete. I can see the new packages in my account. However, when she attempted to deposit the refunded points into my account, the system 'froze' not allowing her to finish the transaction. So, now I have a 'case' that will take 3-5 days for an even 'higher' MR supervisor to fix.

FWIW - I would not try to just cancel any pre-8/18 travel packages to get the hotel portion of MRPs back to rebook your own points reservation in the new categories. Hint - you won't get much of anything. I was specifically warned that if I wanted to cancel any of my pre-8/18 travel packages, I would get back only 10k MRPs (TOTAL) for each Category 1-5, and only 25k MRPs (TOTAL) for each Category 6. When I questioned why that was all they were worth, I was told 'because the bulk of the points you spent to redeem the travel package were applied to get the FF miles'.

Based on their math of an old Category 1-5 TP that was 235k MRPs, only 10k were allocated to the 5 night stay. The remaining 225k MRPs was the cost of the FF miles. This math holds true for Category 6 TPs that were 250k MRPs (15k more), 25k was allocated to the 5 night stay (as MR told me last night) and 225k MRPs was the cost of the FF miles. I'm not sure how the new TP math will work (until someone tries to cancel a new TP to get the hotel portion of MRPs back) but I suspect the math won't be any better for owners/guests.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
FWIW - I would not try to just cancel any pre-8/18 travel packages to get the hotel portion of MRPs back to rebook your own points reservation in the new categories. Hint - you won't get much of anything. I was specifically warned that if I wanted to cancel any of my pre-8/18 travel packages, I would get back only 10k MRPs (TOTAL) for each Category 1-5, and only 25k MRPs (TOTAL) for each Category 6. When I questioned why that was all they were worth, I was told 'because the bulk of the points you spent to redeem the travel package were applied to get the FF miles'.

Based on their math of an old Category 1-5 TP that was 235k MRPs, only 10k were allocated to the 5 night stay. The remaining 225k MRPs was the cost of the FF miles. This math holds true for Category 6 TPs that were 250k MRPs (15k more), 25k was allocated to the 5 night stay (as MR told me last night) and 225k MRPs was the cost of the FF miles. I'm not sure how the new TP math will work (until someone tries to cancel a new TP to get the hotel portion of MRPs back) but I suspect the math won't be any better for owners/guests.
It has always been this way, for both the cat 5 and cat 7 certificates. The FF miles area . hard cost to Marriott when you redeem these packages. They have to pay the airlines to buy the miles. The hotel cert, while a hard likely has a much lower one since Marriott sets the redemption values with the properties in their affiliation or franchise agreements. It has always been this way that if you cancel the hotel cert, they calculate the transaction as if you did a straight points to miles purchase. Otherwise everyone wanting to do points to miles would just do a travel package first and then call and cancel the hotel certificate as a way to make the points to miles transaction cheaper.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to apply a “suite night award” to an existing reservation on the web site but don’t see how to do it. Anyone done this?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It has always been this way, for both the cat 5 and cat 7 certificates. The FF miles area . hard cost to Marriott when you redeem these packages. They have to pay the airlines to buy the miles. The hotel cert, while a hard likely has a much lower one since Marriott sets the redemption values with the properties in their affiliation or franchise agreements. It has always been this way that if you cancel the hotel cert, they calculate the transaction as if you did a straight points to miles purchase. Otherwise everyone wanting to do points to miles would just do a travel package first and then call and cancel the hotel certificate as a way to make the points to miles transaction cheaper.

Definitely shows just how far off some of the post-merger predictions regarding travel packages turned out to be. Take FrequentMiler for example: https://frequentmiler.boardingarea....xisting-marriott-travel-package-certificates/

"So, there you go. My latest guesstimate is that travel package certificates that haven’t been used to book a stay will be converted to points as follows:

• Category 1-5: 150,000 points
  • Category 6: 180,000 points
  • Category 7: 210,000 points
  • Category 8: 240,000 points
  • Category 9: 270,000 points
  • Ritz Tier 1-3: 300,000 points
  • Ritz Tier 4-5: 420,000 points"
150k projected versus 10k actual or 180k projected versus 25k actual ... Talk about YMMV. :doh:

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to apply a “suite night award” to an existing reservation on the web site but don’t see how to do it. Anyone done this?
Find your reservation.
Click on View/Modify.
Scroll down to Take an Upgrade. You’ve earned it.
Follow the prompts.

Note: this isn’t working for one of my reservations, apparently due to the necessity to detach and reattach a five night certificate. They supposedly fixed it last week, and said to check this week. Still not working. So, ymmv. Cheers.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I spoke with a rep today regarding a Cat. 8 certificate and the potential 30k MRP refund. She indicated that is not happening. She did open a case for me as I told her I had some information that indicates otherwise. Unfortunately, I didn't have the info at hand. Now I plan to respond to the case number and will note the "Knowledge Article 5995 in Engage." We will see what happens.

Best regards.

Mike

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I spoke with a rep today regarding a Cat. 8 certificate and the potential 30k MRP refund. She indicated that is not happening. She did open a case for me as I told her I had some information that indicates otherwise. Unfortunately, I didn't have the info at hand. Now I plan to respond to the case number and will note the "Knowledge Article 5995 in Engage." We will see what happens.

Best regards.

Mike

When I spoke to Marriott last night, I referred them to that knowledge article. They did not locate it initially. The rep said it appears the article was updated because while it is in Engage, the reference number is no longer 5995. He didn't give me the new number. I would still start them looking at 5995. Hopefully, it will at least point them in the right direction. Good luck.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
When I spoke to Marriott last night, I referred them to that knowledge article. They did not locate it initially. The rep said it appears the article was updated because while it is in Engage, the reference number is no longer 5995. He didn't give me the new number. I would still start them looking at 5995. Hopefully, it will at least point them in the right direction. Good luck.

Thanks for that information.

Question to anyone who has reported success in getting such a refund. Have the refunded points actually shown up in your MRP account? The person I spoke with said a refund of points would actually be used to buy the replacement package rather than be a refund to my account. She was reading from some information she found so wasn’t making it up.

Mike

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Question to anyone who has reported success in getting such a refund. Have the refunded points actually shown up in your MRP account? The person I spoke with said a refund of points would actually be used to buy the replacement package rather than be a refund to my account. She was reading from some information she found so wasn’t making it up.

Mike
Yes, that was how it was done, they input the new package and old package into the system and that was how it showed up in the activity history.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;

Mike
So instead of receiving a cat 1-4 you would receive a cat 5 and no points deposited to your account? Of course, if that is the case, why wouldn't they just issue a cat 5 in the first place?

Last edited:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, that was how it was done, they input the new package and old package into the system and that was how it showed up in the activity history.

That doesn't appear to align with what both Marriott and Starwood representatives announced. Below is what Marriott's representative posted over on FlyerTalk back on 8/20/18. I colored the key sentence in red. Perhaps others read this differently, but to me the announcement says you get a travel package that is one category lower than the one you downgraded AND see a deposit of 30k refunded MRPs into your account. What you describe sounds to me like a case of "you can have the downgraded package but you have to use the refund we promised you to get it". I don't read that in the statement below.

If the announcement said something along the lines of "member is responsible for any difference in points required to purchase the downgraded travel package" and/or "Marriott will credit the member's account 30k MRPs toward the purchase of a downgraded travel package" that would be different. However, I don't see anything to that effect. Maybe I am missing something?

Marriott Rewards Insider
Company Representative, Marriott Rewards
Original Poster

Travel Packages Update
Members,

This past Saturday, new Travel Packages became available for purchase for members. At the same time, due to system capabilities, we initiated a month-long blackout on cancellations and modifications to existing Travel Package certificates. After pressure testing our new system over the weekend, we’re happy to relay that starting today, the blackout period is over.

In addition, members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.

Kind regards,
Marriott Rewards Insider

Last edited:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A Starwood representative made the same announcement the same day:

Starwood Lurker IV
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG

Travel Packages Update
Members,

This past Saturday, new Travel Packages became available for purchase for members. At the same time, due to system capabilities, we initiated a month-long blackout on cancellations and modifications to existing Travel Package certificates. After pressure testing our new system over the weekend, we’re happy to relay that starting today, the blackout period is over.

In addition, members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request

As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.

Kind regards,

Alexandra B.
Specialist, Social Media
Marriott International

Reaction score
This TUG board's been understandably overrun with MR-related threads following the announcement several months ago that big changes were coming. Now that the official dates/terms of the changes have come, it's time to try to bring some semblance of order here.

PLEASE try to use this thread to consolidate all of the info in as useful a manner as possible. As it develops it will be either sticky-ed as is, or if it gets cumbersome, as the basis to compose a concise sticky. THANK YOU for your help. :)

This self-explanatory thread will remain open: Post-8/18/18 Marriott Rewards changes / Website and App mistakes and glitches

These linked threads will now be locked:
- Marriott Rewards and SPG Program Changes Announced 4/16/18 [Threads merged.]
- New Marriott Rewards Property Categories and Travel Package Requirements effective Aug '18
- Marriott Rewards: "Take Action On Your Travel Certificate" letter & LONG phone waits (+disconnects)
- I need 200K MR points [Lifetime MR status - MERGED]
- leaked Marriott Starwood terms and conditions

- New travel packages state 110,000 miles
Reading through a bit of the old thread. My last stay at a Marriott Time Share was in Park City in July. I had 3 reservations, but for the first time ever didn't receive any rewards points for my stay. Has something changed? One week was a trade through II, a few days were using MVC points, and a few days were on a sales package. I believe I read you only get reward points when you're paying for a stay. Certainly we paid for the sales stay, we paid 2 upgrade fees for the week that was traded, and it would seem from my perspective you certainly when staying on MVC points, as you pay mightly wit your membership and your maintenance fees. We've always gotten points when staying at timeshares. We also get elite bonus points, why not this time??

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Reading through a bit of the old thread. My last stay at a Marriott Time Share was in Park City in July. I had 3 reservations, but for the first time ever didn't receive any rewards points for my stay. Has something changed? One week was a trade through II, a few days were using MVC points, and a few days were on a sales package. I believe I read you only get reward points when you're paying for a stay. Certainly we paid for the sales stay, we paid 2 upgrade fees for the week that was traded, and it would seem from my perspective you certainly when staying on MVC points, as you pay mightly wit your membership and your maintenance fees. We've always gotten points when staying at timeshares. We also get elite bonus points, why not this time??

I would contact Marriott Rewards. They award the points and go off of whatever the property reports to them. Have you stayed at this particular property before and gotten points? I have learned that not all MVCI properties report stays the same way and it can make a difference in the amount (if any) of MRPs received.

vacationlover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please bear with me as this is rather long, but it's so crazy to me I need your thoughts.

A week ago, I called marriott to downgrade a 5 night cat 6 package. The rep told me he could actually cancel the hotel portion and I'd get 175K points back. I said wow, that's even better so did it.

He told me there would be a lag to see the points and they finally showed up today. A whopping 25,000!!!!

So I call marriott, explain to no less than 5 people, spent 4 hours and 44 minutes and finally spoke to the top supervisor , who I think did not know what he was talking about.

The rep prior to him bought me a 5 night cat 5 certificate for 45,000 points, using the 25,000 points they gave me for the canceled package and a courtesy 20,000 points. So my net affect was to get a downgraded package with no extra points. How is that beneficial???

This top supervisor goes on to tell me that this package would have been canceled by marriott anyway and the rep did me a favor giving me the 20,000 points to buy the new downgraded package.

At this point my head almost exploded. I think some if it hit the supervisor and he offered me 10,000 frustration points. I took the offer because I was on the phone for almost 5 hours at that point and was about to hang myself.

What do you all think if this? I even brought up the knowledge article and he said it didn't exist? And what does he mean marriott was going to cancel my package at some point anyway. I am so confused, frustrated, and still missing 20,000 points for my downgrade.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Please bear with me as this is rather long, but it's so crazy to me I need your thoughts.

A week ago, I called marriott to downgrade a 5 night cat 6 package. The rep told me he could actually cancel the hotel portion and I'd get 175K points back. I said wow, that's even better so did it.

He told me there would be a lag to see the points and they finally showed up today. A whopping 25,000!!!!

So I call marriott, explain to no less than 5 people, spent 4 hours and 44 minutes and finally spoke to the top supervisor , who I think did not know what he was talking about.

The rep prior to him bought me a 5 night cat 5 certificate for 45,000 points, using the 25,000 points they gave me for the canceled package and a courtesy 20,000 points. So my net affect was to get a downgraded package with no extra points. How is that beneficial???

This top supervisor goes on to tell me that this package would have been canceled by marriott anyway and the rep did me a favor giving me the 20,000 points to buy the new downgraded package.

At this point my head almost exploded. I think some if it hit the supervisor and he offered me 10,000 frustration points. I took the offer because I was on the phone for almost 5 hours at that point and was about to hang myself.

What do you all think if this? I even brought up the knowledge article and he said it didn't exist? And what does he mean marriott was going to cancel my package at some point anyway. I am so confused, frustrated, and still missing 20,000 points for my downgrade.

WOW......sounds nasty. How can they just cancel something you've already paid for with points. You know how most conversations say this maybe recorded ...I think I'd ask if your conversation where you were told 175 was recorded? Right or wrong, they said it and should stand by it. I'm not understanding why you would downgrade a package, but then have only purchased packages once and found it very confusing. You used to be able to purchase 3 days and miles......then it was 5, and now I only see 7 days.......obviously that makes it all more expensive, and realistically.........if you're traveling, you're not going to stay 7 nights anywhere, even 5 is pushing it to my way of thinking. About to heard on my 3rd tour and you rarely stay more than 2 nights anyway.......because you're moving, traveling and that how I see this packages being used. Maybe just transferring points into miles is now a better option? I know they always tell you it's a better deal to buy the packages. But, then you have to be concerned about them expiring before you get to use them. Are you a time share owner that you could get your rep to help you?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I would have a big problem with this, and to some degree I am working my way through a similar situation except that I downgraded 4 travel packages. The new packages are in my account. However, my points balance has been royally messed up with points taken away from my existing balance (and no postings of 30k MRPs for each of the 4 packages I downgraded). I have a 'case number' that has been assigned to me while they fix my account balance. I was told to allow up to 5 business days for them to fix it. We'll see what happens next week.