• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

One bedroom Bali Hai ad on Redweek

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a one bedroom, presumably a floating week at Bali Hai for $50,000 on Redweek. Really?

I’m sure I don’t have to break down the math for Tuggers, but my back of envelope rent/own shows it would take 285 years just to break even.

It’s placed directly below an similar ad for $1600.

I get how a slick talking salesman can talk otherwise rational people into a bad value ownership, but I can’t understand how anyone would try and sell anything for $50K without taking 5 minutes on Google to figure out where the market is for what you are selling.

But you constantly see this....50 ads on Tug or Redweek selling a timeshare for $1000 and someone posts an ad for the same exact thing for $20k. I mean you don’t have to even research....just scroll down and look...it is right there.

I get the initial denial that comes the moment you try to unload an expensive resale purchase and find out it’s worthless, but once you decide to sell your 50k retail purchase aren’t you at least going to check current prices if only in the hope it went up to 70k like the salesman said it would?

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I see these quite frequently. I think most of these ads are from people who bought retail and still owe a ton on their retail purchase and are hoping against all odds to somehow recover what they are on the hook for financially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Xan

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a one bedroom, presumably a floating week at Bali Hai for $50,000 on Redweek. Really?

I’m sure I don’t have to break down the math for Tuggers, but my back of envelope rent/own shows it would take 285 years just to break even.

It’s placed directly below an similar ad for $1600.

I get how a slick talking salesman can talk otherwise rational people into a bad value ownership, but I can’t understand how anyone would try and sell anything for $50K without taking 5 minutes on Google to figure out where the market is for what you are selling.

But you constantly see this....50 ads on Tug or Redweek selling a timeshare for $1000 and someone posts an ad for the same exact thing for $20k. I mean you don’t have to even research....just scroll down and look...it is right there.

I get the initial denial that comes the moment you try to unload an expensive resale purchase and find out it’s worthless, but once you decide to sell your 50k retail purchase aren’t you at least going to check current prices if only in the hope it went up to 70k like the salesman said it would?

Nice resort, but I would even pay an exchange fee to stay there again!
The stairs are killer, especially with luggage and groceries, plus if you want to grill or get to the pool, it’s a long walk around the building.

Pono Kai (& Pacific Fantasy at the Pono Kai) is the only Resort on Kaua’i that I will stay at from now on. I stayed at several resorts on the island (mostly through promos), and in my opinion, the Pono Kai Resort is the best!

One of the few resorts that has elevators in each building and the small resort is on the ocean. (Still not bad if you get a garden view unit!), plus you can walk to town or take the bike/walk trail along the ocean!

Luckily I own one Pacific Fantasy week (one of the original owners from the 80’s, but got a foreclosure! 1/1 w/loft), and two 2/2 (1 deeded w/loft) prime Pono Kai Association units. Got them on eBay for practically pennies!

So, 3 weeks is more than enough for me, when I can use them, plus the advantages of carrying over a week can give me an extended vacation when I have time and money.

A few years ago, we had 6 adults (3 couples) for 2 weeks in an oceanfront 2/2 w/loft unit, and we were all very comfortable in the unit! It helps that the master bedroom is the size of 2 bedrooms as is the private loft area!

My favorite resort at a very reasonable purchase price!

I’ve owned other resorts in the past, but got rid of them after many years of using them for trades.

I wish we could all get the word out there about the reality of resales and the prices!

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Nice resort, but I would even pay an exchange fee to stay there again!
The stairs are killer, especially with luggage and groceries, plus if you want to grill or get to the pool, it’s a long walk around the building.

Pono Kai (& Pacific Fantasy at the Pono Kai) is the only Resort on Kaua’i that I will stay at from now on. I stayed at several resorts on the island (mostly through promos), and in my opinion, the Pono Kai Resort is the best!

One of the few resorts that has elevators in each building and the small resort is on the ocean. (Still not bad if you get a garden view unit!), plus you can walk to town or take the bike/walk trail along the ocean!

Luckily I own one Pacific Fantasy week (one of the original owners from the 80’s, but got a foreclosure! 1/1 w/loft), and two 2/2 (1 deeded w/loft) prime Pono Kai Association units. Got them on eBay for practically pennies!

So, 3 weeks is more than enough for me, when I can use them, plus the advantages of carrying over a week can give me an extended vacation when I have time and money.

A few years ago, we had 6 adults (3 couples) for 2 weeks in an oceanfront 2/2 w/loft unit, and we were all very comfortable in the unit! It helps that the master bedroom is the size of 2 bedrooms as is the private loft area!

My favorite resort at a very reasonable purchase price!

I’ve owned other resorts in the past, but got rid of them after many years of using them for trades.

I wish we could all get the word out there about the reality of resales and the prices!

Does the Pono Kai have air conditioning?

Reactions: Xan

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the Pono Kai have air conditioning?

Sure does! Usually the living room if one bedroom, living room and master if two bedrooms and usually the loft if unit has a loft. This has been my experience from each unit I’ve stayed in. A one bedroom regular or the side closet to the front (facing pool side) doesn’t have air. But open lanai door and windows (and even entry door and you’ll be begging for a coat the breeze is so good coming through the buildings!) You can request a stand fan when you check in for that extra breeze the ceiling fans can’t give you.

They are in the process of a major remodel of the units (which will also help with sound between units as best as they can per the way the building was constructed), they have looked beautiful from what I’ve seen so far!

They still have a few buildings to go. A & B oceanfront are done, C is currently in process or will be done by June, D (last oceanfront building, I haven’t seen an updated schedule on.)
F (my favorite ocean view with pool right out the other side is scheduled for February 2020),

Garden/pool view buildings J & H done, K with studios and mini suites overlooking pond and tennis courts done, G (ocean view) done.

The schedule I have for the remaining buildings D (oceanfront) says 2020, but could change since C wasn’t scheduled until 2021, and that’s starting this month.

E (partial ocean view/garden due to being on an angle says 2022, but could also get moved up).

You don’t hear anything while at the resort but ocean waves and palm fronds, but if you are at the resort, usually during the day you most likely will be out and about on the island.

They have been very good at containing any construction noise, since it’s all inside the units and they close the whole building down.

I’ll be at my Pacific Fantasy unit the last two weeks of this month for a “last” stay for a few years until we move out of state in a couple of years and get settled. We have to save up some moving money since our neighborhood got hit bad from the crash and never recovered since we have a mandatory communication fee per builder contract, and add the other association fees, it’s killing resales big time!

The Pono Kai Resort is made up of several types of ownerships.

Pacific Fantasy (17 units) was the original developer association, but Glen Ivy took over, and major issues happened with finances and the 17 units survived.

The remaining went to Pono Kai Association that was formed after all the issues.

Some units are whole-owned.
Some units are owned by BlueGreen (they must manage their own units or belong to the Pono Kai Association.
Some units are owned by VI, and I don’t know if they are part of Pono Kai Association or totally manage there own units, since those units all have washer and dryer from what I heard decades ago.

Some whole owners added a W/D unit, otherwise there is coin laundry on the ground floor across from the elevator in each building.

Whether you get a remodel unit or not, it’s still a great place to stay.

I look forward to this trip in my 1/1 w/Loft unit in building F (unit use floats), and I carried over last years week to have two weeks, I rented out all the rest of my 2019 weeks.
(We can book 1 year in advance, and it’s strictly by the week. Pacific Fantasy checks in on Friday only, Pono Kai Association on Wednesday or Saturday only. I don’t know about any of the other ownerships and how they work,?since my other two units are 2/2 units with the upgrade to a loft if available. (Comfortably sleeps 6, 8 max, if you want the couch!)

I look forward to when we can get back to vacations in a remodeled 2 bedroom unit. There are a few floor plans, and we are hoping someday to get into one of the end units that are only two story high (outside), and I’m technically deeded one of those on the oceanfront, but like I’ve said, the units float and if you call on the one year ahead date, you can just about pick any unit that’s available!

It’s been a great resort since I first purchased in the late 1980’s, and several years ago we decided this is the only resort we will stay at from now on. We even got rid of RCI years ago and I’m letting my DAE prime membership expire in month. (My husband is retired military, so we can stay on Waikiki Beach or in the cabins on the Volcano for real cheap, with no minimum day stay! Great places, been to both!)

I know I answered more than the air conditioning question, but people don’t realize how perfect the location is and how nice this small resort is too!

If you get a chance to book there, I say go for it, whether or not the unit has been remodeled yet! They are almost done!! (They allow one free car parking spot.) Bike Rentals next door!

Look them up online. I know they have a little information about the resort, even if it’s a little behind on updating the site at times.