TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

One problem with the MVCI points program...

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by bobpark56, Jun 6, 2018.

1. bobpark56

bobpark56 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista, Westin Lagunamar, Westin St John, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, DRI (Hawaii & US Collections)
    One problem with the MVCI points program is that joining it means they switch you to a new Interval International account, meaning that you still must pay for the old I.I. account if it was also used for another timeshare system (e.g., Festiva). So no money saved there, just increased costs of membership.

2. l0410z

l0410z TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Monarch Summer x 2, one enrolled. Grand Chateau 2 br EOY
    I have one enrolled week in the DP program and and two units (Marriott's) not eligible for enrollment. I have never exchanged my weeks for points but see potential use when my wife is nit tied to a school calendar. I pay for two II accounts. I am hoping now (or when) MVCI and II integrate from the merger. I have one account. While I understand your point, with the costs of timeshare ownership and vacations, the extra fee while annoying pales in comparison to other costs. Each year I question why pay the 195 for the enrolled week and every year I pay it to defer the answer one year.

3. LisaH

LisaH TUG Lifetime Member

That’s what stops me from enrolling even though I can pretty much enroll my week for free now. I always rent it out for a lot more than the MFs. With the paltry amount of points assigned, I simply can’t justify the extra $195 a year to have another II account.

4. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Desert Springs Villas II 2BR
    Playa Andaluza Silver Seafront 2BR
    Destinations Points
    Well, I would say that depends how you use the week. If you always lock off and trade it (I have done so for 20 years), you actually save money if you trade to MVCI properties since those are $0, and, the lockoff is $0. Combined, those cost more than the club dues. Also, if you like them, you may find you get more ACs. If you don't like them, then that part doesn't matter.

Quimby4 and Pamplemousse like this.
  5. Colt Seavers

Colt Seavers Guest

I agree, we lock off every year and just one Marriott trade puts us ahead compared to the previous fees. Of course, if I had known Interval would annoy me with a choice between the new account and the now-closed account EVERY TIME I log in I might have reconsidered.

Steve Fatula likes this.
  6. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Destinations Points
    I really hate that! I was talking to the tug II representative yesterday about that. He said, well, you may buy something some day and want to resurrect that old account. I said sure, it could happen, but the one million times you hassle me with picking the account is simply not worth it, I'll submit all the info again. Just hide it from me, but he could not find a way. That, and, the old account always has this renew button, and some day, esp as I get older, I just might click it and renew the old account accidentally.

7. tiel

tiel TUG Member

We are enrolled members and have a corporate II account, but we have never seen any reference to our old account (closed long ago) since the new one was created. That’s been since 2010!

8. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Every time I log in to II, I have three options to pick from, our old Pre-DC closed account, our new DC corporate account and our Vistana Corporate account. It really doesn't bother me much. I just wish if you upgrade one of them to Gold or Platinum it applied across all of your active accounts. I am not going to buy separate Platinum membership for two different accounts.

9. michael49

michael49 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, DC points
    We recently resurrected our old II account when we purchased a resale Desert Springs II week. Solved the additional cost issue by depositing that week and, in return, receiving 3 years worth of platinum privileges from II. I guess that's one way to solve the cost question for two II accounts. The only remaining problem is when we log into II; we have to ensure that we are logging into the correct account, corporate or individual.

10. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I have 3 active accounts and the only one with platinum membership is the personal one. When the deposited weeks in that personal one are exchanged, I will close it. I doubt I will buy platinum membership for either the Vistana or Marriott one. We don't buy getaways and we had only used guest certificate once last year and once this year when using ACs to book for our friend. We did benefit from the size upgrade discounted rate last year but we have not even exchanged any weeks this year.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  11. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Destinations Points
    I will separately itemize each levels benefits that we use, yes, you don't need both. Well, we always do platinum. For platinum over gold, we use the lounge, we always have one 2 size upgrade fee (saves $20 over gold), we always do at least 2 getaways (saves $50). So, that already pays the entire Platinum fee. For Gold level, we use Entertainment benefit which by itself saves the entire gold cost, and that saves another $50 over no premium for the getaways, plus we save another $20 for the unit upgrade fee. So, in the end, we are ahead every year. We save $140/year and get lounge access and "free" entertainment benefit which we use every place we visit. For us, it's a simple choice. Oh, and Hertz Gold +. So, maybe we save a few hundred a year if you count entertainment.

12. VacationForever

Er... doesn't the lounge access cost something per use? What is the Entertainment benefit? I have never heard of that.

13. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Destinations Points
    Yes, the Lounge Benefit costs to use, but, I can't use it without access which I do not otherwise have. I didn't include that in savings though, was just itemizing which benefits we use.

Entertainment books? Buy one get one meals, all sorts of shopping and other discounts. This gives you access to an ap that has all the discounts in it. Most major cities have numerous one time deals, and a few as often as you want deals. We used to buy the physical books when we lived in a city.

VacationForever likes this.
  14. VacationForever

I did not realize that we have Entertainment book discounts with platinum. Duh!

15. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Destinations Points
    It's even with Gold. Half of the coupons we use seem to require printing, a little hassle when out of time at a TS. The other half work electronically.

16. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    You don't get an Entertainment Book, but rather access to their online discount coupons that you can print. We use a few a year, but it isn't a big benefit to us as many of the restaurant options are not places that we would go to.

17. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Destinations Points
    You can print them, or, you can use the app where half of them or so work without printing. We use them semi locally too, Cold Stone, etc. We probably use 20 per year. Probably means about $140 or so benefit.

18. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MVC, Westin, Hyatt, DVC, Four Seasons
    Yes but who cares. It is a minimal annual fee to be part of II. If you bought a week to use yourself, you do not need II. Westin and Hyatt are the same. If you buy an enrolled week, you get a “corporate” II account. For all these brands, you need a separate II account for all unenrolled weeks. So just group your unenrolled week into one non-corporate II account. It is easy.

19. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MVC, Westin, Hyatt, DVC, Four Seasons
    Penny wise, dollar foolish.