• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

OPINION - Best option to add to our Timeshare portfolio...

PaPa Slack

Reaction score
Hello everyone, love the site ~ longtime lurker but my first actual thread!

Wife and I own (free & clear) 18k EOY BG points. These were bought and paid for long ago...before I found this forum, lol
(Trust Type D)

They have served us very well and we are very familiar with the system.

Our kiddos are now 11-12yrs old and we want to start taking some more exotic vacations.
Looking at the resale market I can pick up more BG points for next to nothing but almost everything I see is in Trust Type E which makes me pause...

I am weighing the pros/cons of different point systems to maximize the cost (aren't we all?) and would like some advice from all you veteran power users.

Questions:

Buy more BG points in a different Trust and convert them all to E?

Move into the Hyatt weeks system via resale market?

Add other random weeks that can be banked into RCI / II or used INSTEAD of a points option?

Lastly, our RCI account is tethered to our BlueGreen account and not able to be transferred into. Do we have the same lodging options as a full blown RCI account or is the inventory limited?

Is Interval International better than RCI?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hello everyone, love the site ~ longtime lurker but my first actual thread!

Wife and I own (free & clear) 18k EOY BG points. These were bought and paid for long ago...before I found this forum, lol
(Trust Type D)

They have served us very well and we are very familiar with the system.

Our kiddos are now 11-12yrs old and we want to start taking some more exotic vacations.
Looking at the resale market I can pick up more BG points for next to nothing but almost everything I see is in Trust Type E which makes me pause...

I am weighing the pros/cons of different point systems to maximize the cost (aren't we all?) and would like some advice from all you veteran power users.

Questions:

Buy more BG points in a different Trust and convert them all to E?

Move into the Hyatt weeks system via resale market?

Add other random weeks that can be banked into RCI / II or used INSTEAD of a points option?

Lastly, our RCI account is tethered to our BlueGreen account and not able to be transferred into. Do we have the same lodging options as a full blown RCI account or is the inventory limited?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Where would you like to go? Would there be a place you would want to go half the time or will you trade most times? Budget to buy and Maintenance?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not sure that any timeshare vacation could truly be defined as "exotic". They all usually tend to be in places where the masses want to go on vacation, which I would usually not define as exotic.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
It's hard to answer without a better sense of what you want from your additional timeshare time.

PaPa Slack

Reaction score
We would most likely be trading the wks.

We have done east coast and Florida to death, looking for west coast and across the pond primarily.

Cost is relative to what we can trade for.
Actually picking up a 4bdrm lockoff now that trades into II and RCI.

Thoughts on the differences?

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
If you want exotic buy a South African Timeshare.

wrobinson

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villas Del Palmar
I am a former timeshare sales and marketing director and can advise you.

1. Always buy on the resale market. Never buy at the resort.

2. Buy where you want to go - your choice of destination - or theirs. As they get older, you will need more choices.

3. Use the extra bonus and getaway weeks rather than get bogged down with another timeshare, if you must. Want to assure that they are going to enjoy your company.

4. Always get them their own rooms - 2-3 bedrooms.

5. In my opinion, II is always the best - best service, reviews and best resort portfolio.

Good luck.

wcrobinson1973@gmail.com - email if you have any more questions

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hello everyone, love the site ~ longtime lurker but my first actual thread

Questions:

Lastly, our RCI account is tethered to our BlueGreen account and not able to be transferred into.

!

See my post below .

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
First to the OP, welcome to TUG. I really liked the suggestions given to you by wrobinson.
They are sound and very good suggestions.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Good first post - WELCOME .

Since you have RCI - it can work for some of your goals .
If you buy a lock off that trades into II and RCI - you would add flexibility

I think RCI requires more “comparison shopping “ than in the past - to get best value .
ie .
TUG posts indicate -RCI may have less Hawaii weeks or they require an OGS to find , than in the past .
another TUG thread - using RCI (extra vacation $ sale promotions ) in the US northeast for drive to summer long weekend vacations at ski resorts .(happy RCI users)
( Note :I only have RCI weeks so I cannot really comment on II . SFX is a 3rd exchange option that some TUG members use )

Since you list St. Louis as home
RCI - : off season Branson & Lake of the Ozarks - lower cost / last call - extra vacations - or lower
points + exchange fee .( compare each for access / time frame /cost AND compare to other options such as rent from owner - to get best value )

Across the pond - look at the UK canal boats in RCI .
( note :the RCI week times are generally spring and fall - the websites show the ability to,do summer rentals from the companys ( 2 - I think ) via owner internal deposits )

Exotic - Is Puerto Vallarta Mexico exotic enough for your family . A beach vacation like Florida - but different ; and no need to rent a car . Take the local bus to the malecon & centro with you kids from the hotel zone timeshares or PV Marina timeshares . We prefer non AI since PV has lots of local restaurants & food options .

Take your time and keep reading TUG ( and become a member )

Last edited:

PaPa Slack

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the good information.

We have just signed a contract on The Colonies at Williamsburg (Virginia). 4BR which can be locked-off into 2-2BRs. Fixed week 23 - Picked up from the Bargain Deals here @ TUG!
I believe that the flexibility of the summer use and/or trading 1 or both units into II will be the best use for us.

J

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.

We have just signed a contract on The Colonies at Williamsburg (Virginia). 4BR which can be locked-off into 2-2BRs. Fixed week 23 - Picked up from the Bargain Deals here @ TUG!
I believe that the flexibility of the summer use and/or trading 1 or both units into II will be the best use for us.

J
Sounds good Jason!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Exotic - Tasmania, Fiji, Rotorua?

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

J
Suggest you look into using your bluegreen website and use prizma direct exchange or the choice hotels options for more exotic internal trades, which will cost less than RCI weeks or points trades. Congrats on the Colonies at Williamsburg hope that works as a good trader in II for you. If you have any further bluegreen questions iam a platinum owner and will be glad to help/assist you. AL

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Exotic? Well, there are lots of 'interesting' trades that show up in both RCI and II. How good are they? Meh..maybe not so much.

II will provide you with fantastic trades...if you know how to work the system and have a good trader. The best deals/opportunities are to be found inside of 59 days. Great last minute shots at beaches, islands and elite city resorts too. Really.

Consider SFX if you're looking for some decent trades; if they will take your deposit, they might have some goodies. I just completed a great Hawaii trade for 2019--my first with SFX--and I'm very pleased.

cheers.