• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Oregon itinerary planning advice needed

Bxian

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are planning a 12 day trip to Oregon around Memorial Day. The impetus for the trip was th4 availability of a 4 night stay at Whispering Woods in Welches. The Whispering Woods portion of the trip will be the last 4 days of our stay. I am trying to figure out the best itinerary for the trip. Here are my initial thoughts-input and advice welcome! In terms of interests, we are food and wine lovers, frequently do walking tours when we visit cities, and love drives through scenic areas.

Wednesday night-fly from home on the East Coast to PDX
Wednesday night through Sunday night-Portland. Some people have suggested that we may not need 4 full days in Portland. However, I will be working remotely for the first 2 days, so we probably won't be able to do anything during the day other than hit nearby food truck pods for lunch. We would probably try to visit the Japanese Garden and Rose Test Garden in the early evening, or walk around for a while. As an avid reader, it has been a lifelong dream of mine to visit Powell's City of Books, and I figured that Powell's plus a visit to the Portland Farmer's Market on Saturday would consume a full day. As an option, I've thought about maybe heading to Cannon Beach and Tillamook for part of Sunday, since they only appears to be an hour and a half away.

Monday night through Wednesday or Thursday night-Willamette Valley in a B & B (possibly Newberg). We love wine tasting, and figured that we would spend 3 or 4 days in WV before heading to Whispering Woods.

Optional one night stay-instead of spending 4 nights in the Willamette Valley, I thought about driving along the Columbia River Gorge and spending one night in Hood River before heading to Whispering Woods-or leaving Portland and hitting the Columbia River Gorge area before heading to the Willamette Valley-not sure which would work best (advice welcome!). They all appear to be about an hour and a half away from each other. Not sure if we should just do the Gorge drive as a day trip from Newberg and stay put there, or whether we should overnight in the Hood River area.

Friday night through Monday night-Whispering Woods. We will probably do a fair amount of vegging there with some hiking if weather permits (we will be there in early June). We'll have family from Idaho visiting for a night while we are there.

eabishop2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, Mazatlan
Tahiti Village, Las Vegas
HGVC Elara, Las Vegas
...Optional one night stay-instead of spending 4 nights in the Willamette Valley, I thought about driving along the Columbia River Gorge and spending one night in Hood River before heading to Whispering Woods-or leaving Portland and hitting the Columbia River Gorge area before heading to the Willamette Valley-not sure which would work best (advice welcome!). They all appear to be about an hour and a half away from each other. Not sure if we should just do the Gorge drive as a day trip from Newberg and stay put there, or whether we should overnight in the Hood River area.

Friday night through Monday night-Whispering Woods. We will probably do a fair amount of vegging there with some hiking if weather permits (we will be there in early June). We'll have family from Idaho visiting for a night while we are there.

Hood River is close enough to do as a (long) day trip (with a loop down the Gorge and back through Troutdale to Whispering Woods) from Whispering Woods. A better alternative might be to leave Newberg area Thursday and spend the day going up the Gorge, ending in Hood River. Overnight there Thursday then take Friday to do the drive from Hood River to Welches via Mt. Hood Meadows. That way there's no back-tracking.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Hood River is close enough to do as a (long) day trip (with a loop down the Gorge and back through Troutdale to Whispering Woods) from Whispering Woods. A better alternative might be to leave Newberg area Thursday and spend the day going up the Gorge, ending in Hood River. Overnight there Thursday then take Friday to do the drive from Hood River to Welches via Mt. Hood Meadows. That way there's no back-tracking.

+1 for the above. I would suggest staying at Whispering Woods and just drive to Hood River as described above. Another cool place to visit that is close to WW is Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood. If you like fish there is a fish ladder with viewing areas and salmon rearing ponds with sturgeon viewing at Bonnieville Dam. It is a nice place for a picnic.

Bill

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
We enjoyed our visit last year at Whispering Woods - ran into Portland for the Market and VooDoo donuts. Drove up to the Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood. There is also a nice hiking loop around Trillium Lake that that gives you some great pictures of Mt Hood in the distance.

We did do a day trip from Whispering Woods to Hood River Valley. I would probably lean to overnighting in that area if the option was open.

Very relaxing time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trillium_Lake

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
+2 for the above. You will not only love Hood River, but the drive itself is lovely. The Columbia River Gorge is breathtaking, accented by the big, powerful, rushing Columbia River itself. Be sure to schedule a brief turn-off visit to Multnomah Falls. It's definitely worth taking the extra 30 minutes or so to pay a visit and get some pictures.

ed19271f2700f1a231526c0761f5810e.jpg

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent a week at Whispering Woods many years ago and for us Timberline Lodge was the highlight of our trip. It just fascinates me to imagine that being built at Government Camp at that time in our Nation's history without all the tools and equipment we use today.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We spent a week at Whispering Woods many years ago and for us Timberline Lodge was the highlight of our trip. It just fascinates me to imagine that being built at Government Camp at that time in our Nation's history without all the tools and equipment we use today.

Yes, Timberline Lodge is really something. Built with mostly hand tools. My wifes grandfather was one of the lead wood carvers / artists, who hand carved the Rams Head Table, Oregon Trail Mural and and a bunch of others pieces for Timberline Lodge. He also sculpted many items on the old buildings of Portland.

Bill

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Due to fires in the Columbia Gorge last Fall their are some areas not accessible. There are restrictions at Multnomh Falls. The Eagle Crest Fire was started by a juvenile throwing fire crackers/works into a small canyon. He recently plead guilty in Juvenile Court. Many of the hiking trails are shut down for the foreseeable future.

ScottRonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Portland Rose Festival will run rom May 25th through June 9th this year. Tom McCall Waterfront (on the Willamette) always hosts. Fun center. Rides and carnival games. Also for part of the festival there usually are several Navy, Coast Guard and Canadian Navy ships available for tour.

For the coast portion of your trip. Travel down hwy 30 to Astoria and the mouth it the Columbia river. I would vote for staying in Cannon Beach or Seaside, as they are actually on the ocean. Then in the morning drive south to Tillamook to the ice cream factory. Tillamook is on a bay. No access to the actual coastline. From there continue down the coast to Lincoln City and have dinner at Mo’s. Then it is an easy drive east on hwy 18 and 99w right into Newberg.

Unfortunately for the gorge, the was a huge fire last summer by Multnomah Falls (pictured in a previous post) and Eagle Creek. Staying in Hood River, I would consider the Columbia Gorge Hotel and Spa. It was built in 1921 by Simon Benson. There breakfast is famous locally. Expensive but worth it.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, Timberline Lodge is really something. Built with mostly hand tools. My wifes grandfather was one of the lead wood carvers / artists, who hand carved the Rams Head Table, Oregon Trail Mural and and a bunch of others pieces for Timberline Lodge. He also sculpted many items on the old buildings of Portland.

Bill
Wow, Bill--great story. I had the privilege of staying at the Timberline Lodge about thirty years ago and was entranced. It is--like Yellowstone Lodge and the wonderful Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite--one of those priceless WPA projects from the 1930's that simply could not be built today. Thanks for sharing. If your wife has any pictures of your grandfather at work there, please share!

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow, Bill--great story. I had the privilege of staying at the Timberline Lodge about thirty years ago and was entranced. It is--like Yellowstone Lodge and the wonderful Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite--one of those priceless WPA projects from the 1930's that simply could not be built today. Thanks for sharing. If your wife has any pictures of your grandfather at work there, please share!

We do have some pictures of the carvings and maybe five of the proto-types. The proto-type carvings include the Rams Head for the Rams Head Table and parts of the mural. These carvings were distributed to family members. My nephew has the Rams Head carving. My son has the man playing the accordion. My wife has the carving of the Mother of Jesus.

When my mother in law passed these pictures were put in storage here at our home. If I remember to scan the pictures someday they include the art at Timberline Lodge and art at various old buildings in Portland. One of the old buildings is Gresham High School. Some of his art work is displayed on the old bridges in the Columbia Gorge and bridges around Mt Hood. You can tell its his work because he would discreetly initial them.

Bill

Bxian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great feedback. I'm wondering if we should bypass visiting the Gorge area if there are still restrictions in place and should do Portland-Cannon Beach-Newberg-Whispering Woods instead?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Wow, Bill--great story. I had the privilege of staying at the Timberline Lodge about thirty years ago and was entranced.

You didn't by any chance use an axe to chop through a door, stick your face through the hole, and announce, "Here's Johnny!!!" did you? ;)

Dave

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You didn't by any chance use an axe to chop through a door, stick your face through the hole, and announce, "Here's Johnny!!!" did you? ;)

Dave
How did you know???

Travel1

Reaction score
+1 for the Oregon Coast. Cannon beach is beautiful and a nice town. Driving down to the Depoe Bay area on the coast is also very beautiful, Worldmark has a timeshare there and nearby is the Inn at Otter Crest (I haven't been there in awhile, older resort in a great location overlooking the Pacific, but the quality of the room furnishings depend on the owner, but we enjoyed the beauty of the bluff/cliff overlooking the Pacific, access to the beach from the resort, in addition to the walks through the woods to Beverly beach)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all of the great feedback. I'm wondering if we should bypass visiting the Gorge area if there are still restrictions in place and should do Portland-Cannon Beach-Newberg-Whispering Woods instead?

The fire damage is visible from the Washington side of the Columbia Gorge and the scenic bypass looks pretty much the same. I have friends in Portland that hike the areas near the fire damaged areas frequently so if there are restrictions they are few.

Cannon Beach is one of my favorite places on the Oregon Coast. That is where I would go. The trail at Ecola Park is pretty cool. Haystack Rock at low tide is very interesting. Very nice beach walks.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
This is another shinning example of your posts that make me grin. :D:D:D

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I'm glad somebody besides me gets my obscure references. :)

Bxian

TUG Member
Reaction score
At Whispering Woods now. Have fallen in love with Oregon! Spent 5 nights in Portland, 1 night in Cannon Beach, 3 nights in the Willamette Valley and 4 nights at Whispering Woods near Mount Hood. Will post a review of our stay in TUG reviews. Easyrider, we saw your grandfather's carvings at Timberline yesterday-amazing!

NWTRVLRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
When in Portland also consider Saturday’s Market... this runs both Saturday and Sunday on the waterfront... it will give you a fun perspective of the local vibe... and for wine I highly recommend Willamette Valley Vinyards tasting room

abbekit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Pagosa
Also it's Rose Festival time in Portland. Fleet week starts today. The Rose Parade is Saturday. After the parade the floats will be parked along Tom McCall park for two days. Dragon Boat races on the Willamette River in that same area. And there is a beautiful flower display in Pioneer Courthouse Square.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
At Whispering Woods now. Have fallen in love with Oregon!
Shhhh! Don't tell anyone. Say, "It's rainy and gray and dreary. You wouldn't like it."

Jim