• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Our resort actually has upfront fee companies recommended on their site!

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thank you, VPR! I think you have just proven our point!

A few estimates, based on your numbers. You pay $2,500,000 per year in advertising. You also have salary, office, phone and a variety of other costs, which I'll conservatively estimate at $500,000. And I'll assume that your profit is a low (considering the volume) $500,000. That suggests total revenue of $3,500,000 in a year. If the typical upfront fee (I might have missed an actual number in this thread) is $500, that means you would have 7,000 new listings each year.

The other key number is your closings. You currently have 8 in process. Assuming you can close a timeshare sale within a month (very, very unlikely considering paperwork, resort involvement, recording of the deed, etc.), that suggests you don't sell more than 100 in a year. Even if your suggested one-per-day average is accurate, that still means only about 250 sales per year, excluding weekends and holidays.

So, using your own numbers, it would appear that, at most, you probably sell only about one out of every 28 timeshares that you list for sale. You can modify the numbers so that it's some other ratio, but I'm certainly in the ballpark with my calculations.

Would any reasonable person pay $500 to list a timeshare week if the chances of selling it as the direct result of making such a payment were only one in 28? I think not!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
fubarjam, you would pay Timeshares Only $500 to sell a timeshare and then move on if it didn't get sold? I doubt it.

I asked before, VPR, what timeshare closing company do you use for your closings?

Carl D

Reaction score
Carl, I would say a very tiny percentage of the weeks sell. Look at the listings for any familiar property on Timeshares Only. The number of listings for Fairfield Kingsgate was astonishing. There aren't that many listings on all other venues combined. That shows that they collect listings. If you have one buyer for every 400 listings, just how are you helping those people? And not presenting my fair offer to any of the Kingsgate listings, that was completely wrong. These companies are not doing their jobs. :mad: An earnest money deposit should guarantee that my offer would be taken seriously.

Spence tried to offer on some Sunterras and was blown off completely. He was a serious buyer.
I agree with everything you've said here. I didn't mean to come across as supporting the upfront fee companies.

Carl D

Reaction score
Thank you, VPR! I think you have just proven our point!

A few estimates, based on your numbers. You pay $2,500,000 per year in advertising. You also have salary, office, phone and a variety of other costs, which I'll conservatively estimate at $500,000. And I'll assume that your profit is a low (considering the volume) $500,000. That suggests total revenue of $3,500,000 in a year. If the typical upfront fee (I might have missed an actual number in this thread) is $500, that means you would have 7,000 new listings each year.

The other key number is your closings. You currently have 8 in process. Assuming you can close a timeshare sale within a month (very, very unlikely considering paperwork, resort involvement, recording of the deed, etc.), that suggests you don't sell more than 100 in a year. Even if your suggested one-per-day average is accurate, that still means only about 250 sales per year, excluding weekends and holidays.

So, using your own numbers, it would appear that, at most, you probably sell only about one out of every 28 timeshares that you list for sale. You can modify the numbers so that it's some other ratio, but I'm certainly in the ballpark with my calculations.

Would any reasonable person pay $500 to list a timeshare week if the chances of selling it as the direct result of making such a payment were only one in 28? I think not!
Bravo! Nice work, Mr. Holmes.

fubarjam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindy -

You're relentess here aren't you :), this is all hypothetical as I've never sold a unit nor do I need to in the immediate future. Have a look at my 2nd post.

I'd research till I have a comfortable level of understanding of all companies that I looked at. At that point IF I find TO is the best and I do indeed have to pay $500 I'll do it. Now if it's up there for months on end I have to consider things such as is it priced correctly, do I in fact have a sellable week # at a wanted resort at a wanted area. If all those are yes and TO has not sold it under a set number of days than I re-evaluate my position and look at the companies who finished 2nd or 3rd on my list or I look to see if some other company has challenged my "winner" of my scorecard. In the meantime, I'm also pressuring TO to ensure they are doing everything in their power to sell my unit. Now if it turns out I got screwed, you and I are on the same team from a selling standpoint ONLY (that is if you'd take me!!).

Now lets talk realistically. I recently purchased a unit at an oceanside resort in the OBX prime week. I feel I got a fair price and well under what a reputable OBX realtor said I would have to pay if I bought from her. She said she'd be able to sell my week for $11K, I got it for less than 1/2 that (I tried offering her the same amount for her listings and she refused to take those to the seller as she's 100% confident they are priced correctly and will sell. She does appear to move inventory as I follow her site.). I did not buy because of that though, I bought it at that price because it's all I could afford. I bought in the OBX because it's where we want to go AND it's a popular destination. If I ever have to sell I believe I could get what I paid for and maybe more. If that does not happen this is not an investment. I did my research pre-purchase taking into account personal preferences and selling options. Many timeshare purchasers do not do this as they bought developer impulsively and most likely when they sell they'll do that impulsively. This is a character trait and one that can't easily be changed.

Last edited by a moderator:

skinsfan

Reaction score
Why don't you sell timeshares and charge a commission??? In an earlier post I showed everyone if you have a brokers license (or real estate agent attached to a broker) then you can sell timeshares and collect commission... instead of bashing companies do something about it! You have lots of faith in Tug recommended sites so post the TS's there. BTW have you ever heard of Isoldmyhouse.com... advertising!

I have never questioned advertising, it works (I sold my ATV through craigslist for free) Realtors just advertise different (if you didn’t advertise you wouldn't have clients). My biggest issue is the claims of VPR without providing any proof that they are effective. For example they say they have 1 per day close, if they are advertisers how do they know this? Isn't that like claiming to be an agent? Even if they put 1 in closing per day how many go on the site per day to replace the 1? Also they brag about traffic and offer/sale stats but can't post here for everyone to see. If they run a site it means they can load that PDF file onto the site and post a link to the PDF file.

Two posters are now hammering Realtors? :(

How do you sell a house without listing with a Realtor, who does everything for zero cost until after the sale? How do you get your house on www.realtor.com and in the MLS, where thousands of other Realtors are searching for the perfect house for their clients? How do you get to see the houses that Realtors have listed?

A new poster on TUG is ignoring others' advice here, saying he/she would be happy to pay an upfront listing fee to sell a timeshare, because of the traffic, even though the experienced TUGgers are advising not to waste money. But Realtors are bad guys.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I agree with everything you've said here. I didn't mean to come across as supporting the upfront fee companies.

I never thought you were supporting these companies. :) Carl, you are a smart guy and know the truth about these guys.

When do we, on this forum, ever have to defend ourselves, our livelihoods, our knowledge, against upfront-fee and postcard companies? Only when THEY are posting here, in defense of themselves.

fubarjam, you say you just bought your first timeshare and would consider listing on Timeshares Only, when you perused the listings and saw the numbers of listings? Obviously they don't sell many, unless they are listing thousands per day. I feel badly for all the people who listed there, because if someone is ready to make an offer, the agent has to be "in the mood" to connect buyer with seller. The middleman stuff is not for me, nor is the high price to list. I cannot believe a newbie would not take advice from those of us here that know better. Timesharing Today magazine has been warning people about upfront-fee companies for years, so have our long-time-owned resorts. Never pay an upfront fee. That is great advice, yet some would choose to ignore it? How suspicious.

I wrote you a private message to see where you stand on the issues and you were very transparent. You are 32 years old and either know everything there is to know, and don't take advice from anyone, no matter their knowledge, or you are a shill for this company or Timeshares Only. :rolleyes:

Real estate attorneys hate Realtors. I know a few and I have definite suspicions, based on your past posts. :wall:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why don't you sell timeshares and charge a commission??? In an earlier post I showed everyone if you have a brokers license (or real estate agent attached to a broker) then you can sell timeshares and collect commission... instead of bashing companies do something about it! You have lots of faith in Tug recommended sites so post the TS's there. BTW have you ever heard of Isoldmyhouse.com... advertising!

I have never questioned advertising, it works (I sold my ATV through craigslist for free) Realtors just advertise different (if you didn’t advertise you wouldn't have clients). My biggest issue is the claims of VPR without providing any proof that they are effective. For example they say they have 1 per day close, if they are advertisers how do they know this? Isn't that like claiming to be an agent? Even if they put 1 in closing per day how many go on the site per day to replace the 1? Also they brag about traffic and offer/sale stats but can't post here for everyone to see. If they run a site it means they can load that PDF file onto the site and post a link to the PDF file.

I don't think there is much money in timeshare sales. I will look into it, but I have respect for people like Seth Nock and Judi Kowalski (sp?), who do sell timeshare and don't charge upfront. They are Realtors and only sell high-end properties. I think they have integrity in the biz. But wait, they are Realtors, so of course they are overcharging, according to these guys who are working for the upfront fee companies. :rolleyes:

I would rather pay double the fee for a closed sale. Throwing money away for no service is not my cup of tea.

pranas

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Want to pop as number one or two on a google search? Simple, just pay google their fee. So, please don't use this as example illustrating how legitimate and popular your services are.

VPR

Reaction score
For anyone that happen to read this thread and thinking about this, the 1st thing you need do is figure out your own situation,
If you just bought from retail, ask yourselves have you thought the whole process through, if not, rescind. Deal will be there any day.

If you still owe mortgage, and need to sell, you have to pay-off the mortgage or do a short sale on it, which means you have to talk to the developer, so ask here around, prepare yourselves, talk to developer to see if you can get out, there is no reason to seek a front-end company (in fact any company) if it can not solve your problem anyway. You need to seek either a lawyer (bankrupcy), or talk to the devloper that sold you the week. There are situations where you can have chances that sell your TS, and get enough to cover your loan. Just ask here, or try to figure it out yourselves.

If you believe your week has value to start with, at this moment, my suggestion is to read the http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44 first. Then figure out if you are buyer, what is the reasonable price you will pay. Read that thread to see what the advice on value a week.

Then ask yourselves this questions before you do any search,
does it worth to sell through a front-load listing company? Or through a back-load real estate agent. If you don't feel comfortable to sell it yourself to start with, remember, front-load listing company in theory provides only the service of listing, there is no way they will handle the sell stuff without being calling a real estate agent.

Now, say you have sell on the free site, with a back load agent, and no luck, I suggest you re-read the advice provide by tug to see if you made some mistake on your valuation, if you did not, then substract the fee you may pay ant front-load company and ask yourselves, does it make sense. If you find it still make sense, then look at eBay for couple of weeks as you are buyer. Find some ad you can understand and like, then add your resort picture, make sure you are selling a product for vacation, put it on eBay, list few closing companies that you feel comfortable with, thrown in some money you are willing to pay any front-load company as added incentive, make sure it is in the title, let it run for 2, 3 weeks, see what the market come out. If none take, you have no loss at all exception eBay listing fee, then you can relook at your options and see if you want to use a front-load company by doing a google search. When you do that, look at the result, see how many tug suggest site has in there, and how many you have used, and think what is the chance of it success.

As note that even if you use a back load commision based agent, (s)he could still do nothing. So think if you get to a front-load company, and there is no result, your only hope is there is enough viewer. My suggestion is before you pay the company, first ask what kind of saling rate they got, see if the number is audited, ask the cancel policy, what will be the penalty (or loss) when cancel the contract, and what is the procedure of doing so, just in case you have a friend's friend sudden jump out and decide to purchase a TS from you while there is no buyer from the listing site. Ask if the money is put in the escow and which escow. Unless the amount of money is very reasonable to you for advertise (call your local newspaper and see how much they charge to determine if it is reasonable or not, their cost to make them visible does not necessary means it should be your reasonable cost), and then make your own decision.

I believe they do have transactions, I believe if they want continue, they will try to get hit. On the other hand, since their business model is get money from the seller when listing, so I believe a lot of their ad cost is to attract seller, not buyer.

I don't have problem a company that working very hard, try to help other people, but have to charge big money in order to survive. On the other hand, if you have to pay, ask yourself is there a better alternative? After all, if a company has only one customer, they have to charge their whole cost to that customer, but that does not mean that customer can not find another company doing similar thing but charge much less and can get simliar result.

This is off topic, but I like to involve in things like that. Since I live in Maryland, I can tell you Maryland has put a few people into jail because of predatory lending. It also depends on the whole society, and at this moment, it will be a lot of actions even when others continue to make mistakes. Just because they will continue to make mistake, does not mean the government will think it is O.K. to let them pay continuousely.

buyatimeshare or VRP, welcome to tug. :wave: Don't know, it is upto you. This is a open BBS, anyone may come and go. It really can not tell. If your whole purpose is to defend your business or to establish an image you are a honest person, and only work on this thread and leave the tug behind, it is your decision. If you decide to stick around, in the long run, people will know you in detail, then some may find you have similar view and become friends. Since you kind of disclosure who you are, what you doing, I believe majority of moderator will not mind you stay around.

Jya-Ning

Thanks buddy! I think I'll stay around........

VPR

Reaction score
Want to pop as number one or two on a google search? Simple, just pay google their fee. So, please don't use this as example illustrating how legitimate and popular your services are.

if you look back at other threads you will see conversations addressing this issue. We do pay google a lot! In fact just from us alone Larry and Sergie have become very rich!

fubarjam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindy -

Yes I would consider, would I actually sell through TO, I'd have to do the research. It'd be shortsighted of me to not consider all the players in the market if indeed I had to sell. Included with all my research would be the advice on this forum. I will say everything I've read, I would not SELL on TO nor did I ever say I would. In fact, if I had to sell I'd most likely build my own website, spend the $9 to get a great domain name, optimize the site like crazy for search engines and try and sell it myself cause that is what I'm experienced at. You made a leap thinking I would sell on TO though. However from a BUYERS standpoint I like their inventory and pricing for what I wanted personally, therefore from a purely selfish standpoint I'd like to see more inventory there as I'd be willing to purchase there again. That's it.

My personal reasonings should certainly not be a sounding board to say TO is the best. Likewise when I give an example of a realtor screwing one of their customers I'm not on the top of a mountain screaming all Realtors screw people. You're going from 0-60 on a single comment. It's simply an example, let it go! I've had 2 perfect experiences of selling/buying homes with a Realtor that has become a friend and I will use again in the future. Just because I gave a good example of a realtor experience I'm not claiming ALL realtors are as good as she was because they are not. Seems you took offense to this particular example and I've now lit a fire under you.

I don't feel badly for the people listed on TO or any other up-front site. They should have done their research. If they did and still made the decision they should be able to live with it. You have an emotional response to these people which is admirable, I've been called cold and unemotional in my personal life so it transcends to this particular issue also.

I've got no reason to lie to you. I'm in no way affiliated with the real-estate industry or timeshare industry for that matter. I'm not an attorney either (how you made that leap is crazy, in my personal message to you I gave you my experience with real estate), I'm in the computer technology field. I've got no one on this board to confirm that except the day I signed up with TUG I sent Brian code on how to hide everyone's email address's in the "Wanted" section of TUG so that spammers could not harvest that page for emails and send those emails more spam. Code that a typical attorney or someone in the real estate field would not know about or frankly care!

You say:
####
You are 32 years old and either know everything there is to know, and don't take advice from anyone, no matter their knowledge, or you are a shill for this company or Timeshares Only.
####

Yes I'm 32 however I'm not a kid and don't talk down to me or even begin to know me. Certainly I don't know everything and never alluded to that (again another leap). I do take advice from people and I also do my best to thank them. I've only got 10 posts, 3-4 on this thread. I've been a TUG + FORUM member since March or so. Maybe my 3rd post ever was thanking everyone here for their advice and helping me purchase my first timeshare which was earlier this week, prior to this thread I might add.

I went to wikipedia to get the definition of a shill. I'm not a shill however I do like TO from a BUYERS standpoint as it's the only experience I have with them. In your opinion I'm either one or the other. So I can't talk positively about a company that I'm not in any way associated with that not many people like without being labeled with an alterior motive slight or being called a shill?

Seems like you are suspicious of a lot things however I've been consistent throughout all my posts. You call me being transparent, you and I are talking about a hypothetical situation what do you expect? I now have first hand experience as to how PerryM felt during his Las Vegas thread when he went against the popular vote and put himself out there.

I apologize for those reading as I've caused the thread to go in a slight tangent.

VPR

Reaction score
I don't think there is much money in timeshare sales. I will look into it, but I have respect for people like Seth Nock and Judi Kowalski (sp?), who do sell timeshare and don't charge upfront. They are Realtors and only sell high-end properties. I think they have integrity in the biz. But wait, they are Realtors, so of course they are overcharging, according to these guys who are working for the upfront fee companies. :rolleyes:

I would rather pay double the fee for a closed sale. Throwing money away for no service is not my cup of tea.

I never said that! Charge what you want on the tail end. If it works for the customers, it works for me. If you look at our website, you will see we have the most success with the high end properties. We sell these for big dollars, part of the reason is because we are dealing with a more educated customer base and not someone that's going to just lay out 20k on their first resort tour because they got free Disney tickets. People that do the appropriate research save money. Take a look a couple examples of some nice properties we sold:

http://www.buyatimeshare.com/Marriotts-Ko-Olina-Beach-Club/Kapolei-HI/Ads/15098.htm

http://www.buyatimeshare.com/search...s=&bathrooms=&week=&usage_id=&btnNext=Next+>>

http://www.buyatimeshare.com/Harborside-Resort-at-Atlantis/Nassau-Bahamas/Ads/10021.htm

http://www.buyatimeshare.com/Harborside-Resort-at-Atlantis/Nassau-Bahamas/Ads/10575.htm

I know we need to sell more, but we're working on it daily!

skinsfan

Reaction score
Why do you keep saying "we sold" didn’t the person that LISTED AN AD on your site SELL THEIR TIMESHARE? Again you're referring to yourself as a Broker and that is against the law for FSBO! BTW there are other FSBO upfront companies offering offer info and traffic info to the public why don't you do this?

I never said that! Charge what you want on the tail end. If it works for the customers, it works for me. If you look at our website, you will see we have the most success with the high end properties. We sell these for big dollars, part of the reason is because we are dealing with a more educated customer base and not someone that's going to just lay out 20k on their first resort tour because they got free Disney tickets. People that do the appropriate research save money. Take a look a couple examples of some nice properties we sold:

http://www.buyatimeshare.com/Marriotts-Ko-Olina-Beach-Club/Kapolei-HI/Ads/15098.htm

http://www.buyatimeshare.com/search...s=&bathrooms=&week=&usage_id=&btnNext=Next+>>

http://www.buyatimeshare.com/Harborside-Resort-at-Atlantis/Nassau-Bahamas/Ads/10021.htm

http://www.buyatimeshare.com/Harborside-Resort-at-Atlantis/Nassau-Bahamas/Ads/10575.htm

I know we need to sell more, but we're working on it daily!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
fubarjam, I apologize for talking down to you. Your age says nothing about you, except perhaps in experience. Of course I don't know you at all. :) I am sorry, but you are right, I have gotten a little offended here.

So why am I offended and suspicious?

-You talked poorly about real estate brokers, so did VPR. So it seems you are on the same team.

-Even though people with a great deal of experience are saying that upfront-fee companies are a waste of money, yet you say you would probably consider using one.

-You put a link to a closing company on one of your earlier posts and VPR won't say what closing company his company uses.

-The upfront fee company pulled up an old thread and you jumped into the conversation, even accusing those of us who are debating here (on the right side, I might add) of being sarcastic and taking jabs.

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)

It would be nice to know how much these sold for, especially since they have very high price tags and say "OBO" or "Make Offer" . . . One was listed at $20k and then had "Just reduced $8,000" . . . what did it go for??

fubarjam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Guilty of all charges below however I never realized I could be woven into a mini conspiracy theory! :)

fubarjam, I apologize for talking down to you. Your age says nothing about you, except perhaps in experience. Of course I don't know you at all. :) I am sorry, but you are right, I have gotten a little offended here.

So why am I offended and suspicious?

-You talked poorly about real estate brokers, so did VPR. So it seems you are on the same team.

Not sure how a random example of a real estate transaction could have offended you but I only later learned you are a Realtor so no offense to you or any specific Realtor was ever intended, simply an example. Honestly, I'm on no ones team, VPR or yours or someone else's, just an independent.

-Even though people with a great deal of experience are saying that upfront-fee companies are a waste of money, yet you say you would probably consider using one.

Consider to sell yes, USE most likely not.

-You put a link to a closing company on one of your earlier posts and VPR won't say what closing company his company uses.

I did put a link to a closing company who handles NC. It's difficult finding a 3rd party closing company in NC and none of the companies in the sticky are in NC anymore so I pasted a closing company hoping to save someone time in the future. I'll re-consider posting a companies URL in the future as it could be used against me in the future. FWIW, I'm not using that company I'm closing with GMAC as their services and price are nearly the same however I'm being consistent here...I did buy a week in the OBX and needed additional assistance from TUG for which I was grateful.

-The upfront fee company pulled up an old thread and you jumped into the conversation, even accusing those of us who are debating here (on the right side, I might add) of being sarcastic and taking jabs.

The bashing + sarcasm of the up-front companies posters was laid on pretty thick (you have to agree with this) and I just felt like enough was enough. I had a favorable buying experience from an un-related (AFAIK!!) up-front company and I felt I'd throw them a slice of support. FWIW, had I not purchased my unit this week I'd never have posted because I had no experience either way.

I live by 2 phrases:
1. Treat others the way you wish to be treated.
2. Give people the benefit of the doubt.

Potentially you also live by #2 but TUG has been abused by "shills" and therefore your leash is not as long with regards to the TUG Forums and I had to go to great lengths to disprove.

Back to your normally scheduled program.

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi All & Fubarjam,

First, love your handle

Please realize that some of us who have been around the block a few times with this industry have heard the same tale many times "I paid a company $800 to list it and after a year I had no calls". Usually the seller is some senior citizen who was a working stiff all his life.

So, one naturally feels bad for them and develops a bias that these upfront fee companies are scammers. Certainly one sale in 28 for a huge fee is pretty bad. Would you brag to you mother that that's your track record with the little people?

Please take nothing personally. TUG occassionally has a new person come on who preaches for X firm or another and clearly are just doing some free advertising for their firm. Again leads to a certain suspicion, maybe paranoia.

Welcome to TUG and again, please don't be offended by any post. We share common interests which are stronger than opinions on a particular topic.

bruwery

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindy,

I was going to do some realtor bashing, but I don't want you to get your blood pressure all riled up to the point where your head explodes and you can't contribute anymore!! :D

You might be taking this all way too personally, though. I don't read very well, but I think the only people here who've taken any direct jabs are VBR and fubarjam.

Admittedly, VBR basically came out here and begged for a beatdown (and he's getting one!), but fubarjam is merely walking us through his analytical approach to things. I didn't glean anything from his readings that l interpreted as an indictment of the realty profession as a whole. Nor did I see anything that caused me to suspect that he's a shill for the fleecers. To the contrary, his line of reasoning is quite consistent with the way I suspect many people think - myself included.

This thread has accomplished one thing, which is what I believe VBR intended to do when he resurrected it. VBR has cleverly taken a virtual butt-kicking in exchange for free advertising; this thread has probably directed several hits to his website. I myself would have checked it out if I was in a position where I could make use of another timeshare. Alas, I can't use another one right now, so I don't dare tempt myself...

That being said, one could argue that VBR is making attempts to draw traffic to his website, and thereby, making attempts to sell the properties he's listed...

Therefore, one could also argue that he's advertising via this thread, in which case, it would be deleted - which would be a shame because it's been quite interesting.

Now, Cindy, don't get all upset with me. Look, here's a smiley-face. :) I'm no shill! My opinion on these companies hasn't changed. I still have contempt for VBR's business model, and I hope I'm never desperate to the point where his scam seems appealing.

fubarjam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the support johnmfaeth and bruwery.

After all this typing and defending I need an ice cold adult beverage on the beach unfortunately I can't use our week till 2008!!!

Cindy if we ever cross paths on the beach I'd be the first to hand you a cold beverage of your choice.

VPR

Reaction score
Why do you keep saying "we sold" didn’t the person that LISTED AN AD on your site SELL THEIR TIMESHARE? Again you're referring to yourself as a Broker and that is against the law for FSBO! BTW there are other FSBO upfront companies offering offer info and traffic info to the public why don't you do this?

Yes but we found the buyer and help answer any questions!

VPR

Reaction score
Thanks for the support johnmfaeth and bruwery.

After all this typing and defending I need an ice cold adult beverage on the beach unfortunately I can't use our week till 2008!!!

Cindy if we ever cross paths on the beach I'd be the first to hand you a cold beverage of your choice.

Actually I would like to be the first I think we could have a lot of fun after a few.....

VPR

Reaction score
fubarjam, you would pay Timeshares Only $500 to sell a timeshare and then move on if it didn't get sold? I doubt it.

I asked before, VPR, what timeshare closing company do you use for your closings?

Sorry so many questions I must have missed that.

We have used a few in the past, the current closing companies are

http://www.timeshare-title.com/

and

http://resortclosings.com/

We have been very happy with Timeshare Title and have been sending most of our business their way, do you have any suggestions on closing companies that have a good track record of fast closings? We are open to suggestions.

VPR

Reaction score
Hi All & Fubarjam,

First, love your handle

Please realize that some of us who have been around the block a few times with this industry have heard the same tale many times "I paid a company $800 to list it and after a year I had no calls". Usually the seller is some senior citizen who was a working stiff all his life.

So, one naturally feels bad for them and develops a bias that these upfront fee companies are scammers. Certainly one sale in 28 for a huge fee is pretty bad. Would you brag to you mother that that's your track record with the little people?

Please take nothing personally. TUG occassionally has a new person come on who preaches for X firm or another and clearly are just doing some free advertising for their firm. Again leads to a certain suspicion, maybe paranoia.

Welcome to TUG and again, please don't be offended by any post. We share common interests which are stronger than opinions on a particular topic.

If you guys do believe I'm just here to advertise then I'll stop putting links in my comments. I only do this to prove a point. I understand that I'm not the popular guy on the block, but that's OK. I hope that you will get to know me and I hope you can help me in ways that I've never been exposed to before. I'm always looking for new ways to think and new ways to grow business. I hope you don't think that I'm just here trying to get fellow tuggers to go to our website. I understand you guys hate us, but no way am I trying to solicit your business. I'm having fun and learning a lot from all of you. Thank you regardless of your feelings of me and my business practices.

skinsfan

Reaction score
actually the BUYER FOUND YOU... Advertising remember, don't go giving yourself more credit than you deserve.

Yes but we found the buyer and help answer any questions!