• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pahio Kauai Beach Villas board election

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I might be wrong, but I thought that oceanfront unit maintenance fees are a little higher.

Aloha,

Jeff

Jeff, they are the same. There are three unit types at KBV: 1br1ba, 1br2ba, and 2br2ba. There are three view types: Garden View, Lagoon View, and Ocean View. The 1br1ba units are all considered Garden View (e.g parking lot) because they are located on the back side of the buildings. But technically, the 1br1ba units in Buildings F and G have a partial ocean view from the lanai, even though the straight-ahead view from the living room is interior to the resort.

The 1br2ba units in Buildings A through E are all Lagoon View. The 1br2ba units in Buildings F and G are Ocean View, as they are on the ocean side of those buildings, and the 1br2ba units in Building G are fully ocean front. There are no 1br1ba or 1br2ba units in Building H.

2br2ba units in Buildings A through E are all Lagoon View. 2br2ba units in Buildings F, G, and H are all ocean view, and technically, the 2br2ba units in Buildings G and H are fully ocean front.

An owner reserving their week can't book "above" the view type that they own, although I suppose an owner in a Ocean View unit could book Lagoon View, if they wanted to. The actual unit an owner can request floats, based on the check in day. There is a schedule of which units check in on which day.

Despite all that, there are still only three maintenance fees at KBV, based strictly on owned unit type. That is why the unit number on the deed is critical. It controls everything.

Dave

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas, Samoset Resort (in ME), The Harborside Inn (Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA)
Not true. MF is based on size of unit only.

ETA: Dave beat me it to the answer.

Noted. Thanks!

Interesting that at some resorts, there are slightly different sized units of each type, and each unit is assessed a slightly different maintenance fee. But that works only with fixed week resorts, I would think.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Noted. Thanks!

Interesting that at some resorts, there are slightly different sized units of each type, and each unit is assessed a slightly different maintenance fee. But that works only with fixed week resorts, I would think.

I agree. I think in the case of KBV, everything was built at the same time, and each building (except H, which is only 2br units) is identical to each of the other buildings. The only thing different is building orientation, and the view out the windows. The units of a given type are identical to each other, in terms of layout and size.

Dave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas, Samoset Resort (in ME), The Harborside Inn (Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA)
By the way, folks, I have a copy of the updated KBV Owners List (obtainable by request from Clinton Owen at KBV). I noticed my wife and I are not on the list.

I am contacting Clinton Owen, the General Manager, about this. I suggest that you make sure that your contact info (including name, email address, mailing address, and phone number) are included.

Clinton can be reached at cowen@gpresorts.com

He can be contacted for any matters related to the resort, including suggestions, compliments, complaints, etc.

Aloha,

Jeff

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree. I think in the case of KBV, everything was built at the same time, and each building (except H, which is only 2br units) is identical to each of the other buildings. The only thing different is building orientation, and the view out the windows. The units of a given type are identical to each other, in terms of layout and size.

Dave

Does that make the H building smaller or larger? I'm staying in H for the very first time later this year.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Does that make the H building smaller or larger? I'm staying in H for the very first time later this year.

H building has fewer units in it, so is a slightly smaller building, but the unit sizes it has are the same. If you take the floor plan layout of the other buildings and slice off the one bedroom units on the two ends, the rest is the same, and that's what H is. I think when they built it, they knew it would encroach on the hotel next door, so shortened the building by that much.

When KBV was originally built, it was combined with the (Sheraton?) hotel next door. Then the big breakup happened, the hotel went independent, and the timeshare buildings were sold off as their own thing. That's why KBV has so many tennis courts, and the hotel has such a huge swimming pool. There was a time when it was all one big resort.

If you notice the sidewalks, they intertwine with the hotel's sidewalks, because originally it was one big happy (if dysfunctional) family. :)

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
H building has few units in it, so is a slightly smaller building, but the unit sizes it has are the same. If you take the floor plan layout of the other buildings and slice off the one bedroom units on the two ends, the rest is the same, and that's what H is. I think when they built it, they knew it would encroach on the hotel next door, so shortened the building by that much.

When KBV was originally built, it was combined with the (Sheraton?) hotel next door. Then the big breakup happened, the hotel went independent, and the timeshare buildings were sold off as their own thing. That's why KBV has so many tennis courts, and the hotel has such a huge swimming pool. There was a time when it was all one big resort.

If you notice the sidewalks, they intertwine with the hotel's sidewalks, because originally it was one big happy (if dysfunctional) family. :)

Dave

Yes, that's how I recall it was when I purchased in 2001. In fact, many of us who purchased assumed that the co-use of facilities was part of the contract. And in a way, it was. But the co-use of facilities was not guaranteed, unfortunately. That aspect, written in the by-laws, was allowed to be re-visited, so we're currently in limbo regarding being able to use the facilities next door, and they, the use of the tennis courts and gas grills.

Jeff

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yes, that's how I recall it was when I purchased in 2001. In fact, many of us who purchased assumed that the co-use of facilities was part of the contract. And in a way, it was. But the co-use of facilities was not guaranteed, unfortunately. That aspect, written in the by-laws, was allowed to be re-visited, so we're currently in limbo regarding being able to use the facilities next door, and they, the use of the tennis courts and gas grills.

Jeff
Then you’ll also recall the extra MFs they collected for the swimming pool remodel. Remember the lazy river plans? I think it was around 2005 or 06. MFs jumped by a lot that year. Then Wyndham stole the money to use at Bali Hai, and left KBV with a tiny budget for the pool remodel. I’m still annoyed about that, and it’s one of the reasons I don’t own there anymore.

Dave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
By the way, folks, I have a copy of the updated KBV Owners List (obtainable by request from Clinton Owen at KBV). I noticed my wife and I are not on the list.

I am contacting Clinton Owen, the General Manager, about this. I suggest that you make sure that your contact info (including name, email address, mailing address, and phone number) are included.

Clinton can be reached at cowen@gpresorts.com

He can be contacted for any matters related to the resort, including suggestions, compliments, complaints, etc.

Aloha,

Jeff

An update. I think I need a new pair of eyes or a new brain. Honest to god, I looked at the owners list at least 3 times and didn't see my name. I looked at it a 4th time and I saw it.

So I did jump the gun.

I know that this caused a number of owners to contact Clinton Owen. I contacted him and he told me that, indeed, the best way to update your owner information is to do so through the KBV GPR website. I'll have specific instructions coming, but essentially, go to the kauaibeachvillasresort.com page, go to the Owners Community page. You can either chat with an online Grand Pacific Resorts representative to check on your owner info, or get the password to go into the Owners section of the site. Once there, there is a section to update your owner's info, as well as other things to do.

Sorry if this caused any confusion. Better safe than sorry, I'd say, though. And ballots will be going out in the next few days.

Mahalo,

Jeff

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Then you’ll also recall the extra MFs they collected for the swimming pool remodel. Remember the lazy river plans? I think it was around 2005 or 06. MFs jumped by a lot that year. Then Wyndham stole the money to use at Bali Hai, and left KBV with a tiny budget for the pool remodel. I’m still annoyed about that, and it’s one of the reasons I don’t own there anymore.

Dave

Y'know, I wasn't aware of that, Dave. I didn't know that more money had been allotted toward the pool. Hmmm.......If that's true, that's another BIG mark against Wyndham. Is there documentation that shows that that was the case?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Y'know, I wasn't aware of that, Dave. I didn't know that more money had been allotted toward the pool. Hmmm.......If that's true, that's another BIG mark against Wyndham. Is there documentation that shows that that was the case?

It’s far enough back that I don’t know where or how the documentation could be found. Jack might know. The MF one year jumped with a huge increase so they could do all this work, that never happened. Then the money was spirited away, somehow, about the time Bali Hai became the big draw. What KBV got was a minor pool remodel, and nothing to the extent that had been promised.

Dave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Trish Harrington was on the Board at the time. I can ask her.

bianchicycle

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas
Aloha Susan,
The USPS ballots are supposed to be mailed on Monday, April 2. It is my understanding that only three candidates will be on the ballot for two positions. One of the candidates is Linda Kolstad, the current president. I believe she controls all the Wyndham votes, so that leaves the other candidate & incumbent Lou Colombo and I vying for the remaining seat.
Jack

How many seats are open for this elections?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How many seats are open for this elections?

There are 2 seats up for voting. Next year there will be 3 seats. Each year, it alternates, with 2 year terms of service.

(By the way, bianchicycle, as an aside, my current road bike is a Bianchi Eros.)

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
It’s far enough back that I don’t know where or how the documentation could be found. Jack might know. The MF one year jumped with a huge increase so they could do all this work, that never happened. Then the money was spirited away, somehow, about the time Bali Hai became the big draw. What KBV got was a minor pool remodel, and nothing to the extent that had been promised.

Dave
Aloha,
We've had this conversation a number of years ago. My memory is different than yours. Since I do not have any written documentation to back up my memory, I cannot claim it is more accurate than yours.
My memory in a nutshell: there was an approximately $100/yr/unit increase in MFs that was supposed to last for a handful of years to address the pool issue. The issue began when the condotel developer abruptly divorced us and put up hostile signs. Concurrently, MFs all over Hawaii started to rapidly increase. Every year there was a different story about why construction had not begun. Finally, the condotel owner went bankrupt and for awhile KBV was allowed access to the pools (some years free some years with a fee). Some cosmetic changes were implemented to the area surrounding the KBV small pool. I never saw any specific evidence of KBV money being misallocated to other resorts.
Some folks on TUG think KBV has had a special assessment in the past. My memory is that we have never had a special assessment. I have aged sufficiently that I no longer engage in arguments that are based on my memory
Jack

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Aloha,
We've had this conversation a number of years ago. My memory is different than yours.

Jack

Thanks, Jack. You've hit on the high points, and I will absolutely agree that I may well be mis-remembering things. My recollection is that I was told by a former female Manager in the Front Office during an Owner's Update one year that the extra funds had been collected specifically to do a big pool remodel. I recall hearing the term "lazy river" being kicked around, because at that point I had never seen one. I agree they had repeated excuses about why things weren't ever started - the one that made me laugh out loud was because there were no construction crews to hire - everybody was too busy. And then, (again, my recollection), being told the money had been shifted to Bali Hai, to help in the construction up there, and that was why the pool remodel was being scaled down so far. The mini-remodel they later did on the pool area was pretty dissatisfying after that. The second remodel was better. But truth be told, I never put a toe in the pool while I owned at KBV. So maybe it's a lot of anxiety over nothing, but it was always a bone of contention for me, as an owner.

Dave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aloha Fellow Individual Kauai Beach Villas independent owners -

Karen Blackford and I have developed the following page, which is a MUST read if you are interested in having your Interval Owners Association (IOA) Board work for you. Currently Wyndham Corporation controls the board, and that is through them having been given 1100 deeds, with the voting power to go along with it.

We, Karen and I, along with your help, which includes voting, are committed to getting control of the board back into the hands and control of independent, individual owners.

Please go to this website and read up on as much as you can before you vote!

https://savekbv.org/

Mahalo!!

Jeff Bellin

leehad50

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas, Grupo Vidante, Villa Group
I just signed up for this Forum today. My wife and I bought at PKBV in 2000. We return every year except for the two years we let our children go as wedding presents. I became aware of the Wyndham take-over attempt last year and we gave our proxy votes to Karen and Jeff. I have visited https://savekbv.org and have been reading the information. We were troubled when Wyndham became the management company and developed a rather negative with some of the salespeople at Princeville. I would like to end the Wyndham control of the Board of Directors. My concern is not knowing who all the people are. I've read much but reading it doesn't make it all true. It appears there are only three candidates this year: Louis Colombo (incumbent), Linda Kolstad (incumbent), and Jack Goodstein. I know nothing about Jack Goodstein. Do any of you have any experience with these people?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Jack is a long-time Tugger and this thread was started by him (go back to page 1, by clicking on the 1 right below this message on the left.) I am going to give Jack my votes.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just signed up for this Forum today. My wife and I bought at PKBV in 2000. We return every year except for the two years we let our children go as wedding presents. I became aware of the Wyndham take-over attempt last year and we gave our proxy votes to Karen and Jeff. I have visited https://savekbv.org and have been reading the information. We were troubled when Wyndham became the management company and developed a rather negative with some of the salespeople at Princeville. I would like to end the Wyndham control of the Board of Directors. My concern is not knowing who all the people are. I've read much but reading it doesn't make it all true. It appears there are only three candidates this year: Louis Colombo (incumbent), Linda Kolstad (incumbent), and Jack Goodstein. I know nothing about Jack Goodstein. Do any of you have any experience with these people?

Jack is pretty new to me, too, but I have talked with him at length. As Denise points out, Jack started this particular thread. You can go back and browse it from the beginning.

I'm behind his candidacy. He has been an owner for a long time, and he feels that the strongest ownership is one where the maximum number of independent owners are voting. One of his missions is to greatly increase the number of independent voters who actually vote. We need the numbers to ensure that control of the IOA BOD (Independent Owners Assocition, the timeshare board) is held by individual, independent owners, not Wyndham. Wyndham wants nothing more than to essentially fire Grand Pacific Resorts Management from being our management company, in spite of the great job they're doing in every aspect, and put themselves back in. This could happen if we don't get back majority of the Board Of Directors.

Trish Harrington, a long-time owner, is the one reliable person on the Board who votes in our interests consistently. She needs assistance. She can't do it alone.

Karen Blackford is a long-time owner who was voted off the BOD by Wyndham's votes last year. She and I tried to get on the ballot. The nominating committee, controlled by Wyndham voices, refused to put Karen and/or me on the ballot.

Linda is a Wyndham employee. Larry votes and acts consistently with Linda. Danielle Ramos and Lou Columbo comprise the rest of the BOD along with Trish Harrington. Again, Trish is the only one who consistently acts in the interests of individual owners.

If you are anyone is interested, I set up a KBV Yahoo discussion group. It's open by request. If you're interested, send an email to
kbvowners-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Mahalo,

Jeff

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One quick correction, all -

I thought it had been Karen Blackford who was the other owner who the Wyndham people refused to put on the ballot this year. It was not. It was another long-time, former BOD who had also voted to end Wyndham's contract, Tom Mischeley (forgive me if that's not the right spelling, but some of you will correct me on the spelling). Karen had decided that she had served on the board long enough (after getting offed last year by the Wyndham people). But she is still very motivated to help wherever and whenever she can. Thanks to Karen.

Sorry for that.

The same issue and mission Karen and I have still stands.

Aloha,
Jeff

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
IMPORTANT: Please go to www.SaveKBV.org

It's a website dedicated to the movement to wrestle control back from Wyndham forces. There is a lot of great information there. Note that there are several different tabs on the main page. One of them, "Wyndham's Smoking Gun" is an important document to read, showing evidence of Wyndham's plans to take control of the resort and get their management company back into control. Click on the green button on that page. You'll likely be astonished and angered.

Mahalo,

Jeff

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater