• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pahio Kauai Beach Villas board election

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
I just signed up for this Forum today. My wife and I bought at PKBV in 2000. We return every year except for the two years we let our children go as wedding presents. I became aware of the Wyndham take-over attempt last year and we gave our proxy votes to Karen and Jeff. I have visited https://savekbv.org and have been reading the information. We were troubled when Wyndham became the management company and developed a rather negative with some of the salespeople at Princeville. I would like to end the Wyndham control of the Board of Directors. My concern is not knowing who all the people are. I've read much but reading it doesn't make it all true. It appears there are only three candidates this year: Louis Colombo (incumbent), Linda Kolstad (incumbent), and Jack Goodstein. I know nothing about Jack Goodstein. Do any of you have any experience with these people?

Leehad,

Welcome to TUG. My wife and I have been KBV owners since 1998, and currently own 3.5 annual weeks at KBV which we use every winter. All but the first were resale purchases on ebay.

I sent a campaign email to all KBV owners whose email is current in Grand Pacific’s (the resort manager) database. Unfortunately, Grand Pacific does not have a valid email for about 1/3 of owners. I am attaching pdfs of both that email and the detailed analysis that it refers to. These are also available at https://sites.google.com/site/jackgoodstein/kauai-beach-villas.

While I understand the position of the saveKBV organizers and appreciate their endorsement, I continue to ask KBV owners to assign all their votes to me.

I welcome questions regarding my detailed analysis here on TUG.

Jack

Attachments

• Goodstein_email_message_KBV_IOA_BOD_2018_v2.pdf
    47.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Goodstein_KBV_BOD_2018.pdf
    360.7 KB · Views: 142

ffwwife

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KBV, Carlsbad Seapoint, Palm Springs Tennis Club, Las Vegas,
Hi all KBV owners who are interested in this Wyndham board issue:
I emailed Lou Columbo, as he sent out an email to the owners, and I wanted to hear his side of this issue.
Asked him to address some of the comments on the SAVE KVB website
His email response to me addressed absolutely nothing! All he said was that he was "not in Wyndham's pocket". I thought that was interesting that's all he has to say. ?!....

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi all KBV owners who are interested in this Wyndham board issue:
I emailed Lou Columbo, as he sent out an email to the owners, and I wanted to hear his side of this issue.
Asked him to address some of the comments on the SAVE KVB website
His email response to me addressed absolutely nothing! All he said was that he was "not in Wyndham's pocket". I thought that was interesting that's all he has to say. ?!....

Aloha,

I posted the results of the 2016 KBV election in post 15 on page 1 of this same thread (direct link:
https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...ch-villas-board-election.240675/#post-1900651 )

Here are the 2016 vote numbers for Lou Colombo and I:
Jack Goodstein 169.50
Lou Columbo 56.00

I attribute my vote lead in 2016 over Lou to the TUG vote. (a belated thanks to my TUG supporters)

I started post 18 on page 1 of this same thread (direct link: https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...ch-villas-board-election.240675/#post-1977358 ) with the following report of a February 2017 meeting:
It turns out that our new KBV IOA president, Linda Kolstad, and I were both scheduled to be in Princeville on the same February day. Linda’s email signature block includes: Director, Association Governance—Hawaii, Wyndham Vacation Ownership. We met for over an hour one late afternoon on our lanai at the Shearwater. . . .​

The vote results for 2017 used to be included in a file on http://kauaibeachvillasresort.com/ but I cannot find it today. I had previously captured those numbers and include them here:
Trish Harrington 1224.5
Danielle Ramos 1150.5
Larry D. Warner 1081.5
Louis Colombo 1029.0
Karen Blackford 597.5
Jack Goodstein 79.5
Ross Tilton 61.0
Charles Twardzicki 45.0
Thomas Mischley 43.0
Jeanne O’Hara 18.5

There were three positions open which means there were three votes available to each owner of an annual week. One of the footnotes from the audit report cited in post 15 states: As of December 31, 2015, WVR owned 1,041 weeks

I do not fault other candidates for seeking votes from Wyndham since I also did so. It is simply smart campaign practice to seek the support of an entity with so much voting power. Had Wyndham voted for me, I would not be in their pocket.

Jack

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas, Samoset Resort (in ME), The Harborside Inn (Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA)
Aloha,

I posted the results of the 2016 KBV election in post 15 on page 1 of this same thread (direct link:
https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...ch-villas-board-election.240675/#post-1900651 )

Here are the 2016 vote numbers for Lou Colombo and I:
Jack Goodstein 169.50
Lou Columbo 56.00

I attribute my vote lead in 2016 over Lou to the TUG vote. (a belated thanks to my TUG supporters)

I started post 18 on page 1 of this same thread (direct link: https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...ch-villas-board-election.240675/#post-1977358 ) with the following report of a February 2017 meeting:
It turns out that our new KBV IOA president, Linda Kolstad, and I were both scheduled to be in Princeville on the same February day. Linda’s email signature block includes: Director, Association Governance—Hawaii, Wyndham Vacation Ownership. We met for over an hour one late afternoon on our lanai at the Shearwater. . . .​

The vote results for 2017 used to be included in a file on http://kauaibeachvillasresort.com/ but I cannot find it today. I had previously captured those numbers and include them here:
Trish Harrington 1224.5
Danielle Ramos 1150.5
Larry D. Warner 1081.5
Louis Colombo 1029.0
Karen Blackford 597.5
Jack Goodstein 79.5
Ross Tilton 61.0
Charles Twardzicki 45.0
Thomas Mischley 43.0
Jeanne O’Hara 18.5

There were three positions open which means there were three votes available to each owner of an annual week. One of the footnotes from the audit report cited in post 15 states: As of December 31, 2015, WVR owned 1,041 weeks

I do not fault other candidates for seeking votes from Wyndham since I also did so. It is simply smart campaign practice to seek the support of an entity with so much voting power. Had Wyndham voted for me, I would not be in their pocket.

Jack

But Jack, keep in mind, they haven't been in the practice of voting for anyone who has been vocal about limiting or eliminating their influence on the voting and direction of the resort. They have actually voted to get rid of Board members who voted against their interests.

My question is, what would someone have to do in order to attract Wyndham's vote? (see the Wyndham's Smoking Gun on the saveKBV.org page)

Jeff

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Was so glad to receive Lou Columbo's email today regarding the upcoming KBV election. Not sure why some feel the need to impugn the character and integrity of someone who volunteers to donate his time and energy to make KBV a great resort.

I think it says more about the people making the accusations than anything else. I know where my votes will go - and not to someone playing the whisper game against their fellow owners.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I support an independent board of resort owners, so I will be voting for Tugger, Jack Goldstein, who is a long-time owner, and a long-time Tugger. He has been upfront and transparent about his goals for the resort.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas, Samoset Resort (in ME), The Harborside Inn (Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA)
Was so glad to receive Lou Columbo's email today regarding the upcoming KBV election. Not sure why some feel the need to impugn the character and integrity of someone who volunteers to donate his time and energy to make KBV a great resort.

I think it says more about the people making the accusations than anything else. I know where my votes will go - and not to someone playing the whisper game against their fellow owners.

Eric, that isn't fair. You are ignoring evidence. Circumstantial evidence can be very powerful. I urge you to read through saveKBV.org

If you're truly in favor of an independently run Board Of Directors, you should look deeper than just your hunches. We have amassed research and evidence. Simply saying "I don't trust anyone who impugns"...is like saying "I wouldn't want to club that would have me as a member." It's a circular argument without real substance. You can certainly vote for whom you want. It's your right. But do some research. This vote is too important to not be completely informed about the issues.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I support an independent board of resort owners, so I will be voting for Tugger, Jack Goldstein, who is a long-time owner, and a long-time Tugger. He has been upfront and transparent about his goals for the resort.

Thanks Denise.

And you're welcome to vote for Jack. If you know Karen Blackford, she's doing work with me to try to get both me and Jack on the Board. We're trying to create an independent owner majority on the Board. Karen will be there and we're asking to give her your Proxy. You may vote Jack in and/or leave that part blank. We're trying to get enough independent owners to vote so that we'll have the votes to vote BOTH Jack and myself in. At the very least, all Proxy votes will go to Jack if we don't get enough owners voting. We need to make sure that we have at LEAST ONE more strong voice for independent owners to go along with Trish Harrington. But if we don't get TWO strong independent voices on the BOD, then Wyndham will still have control. And you need to know that Lou Columbo voted to keep two independent owners off the ballot.

Aloha,
Jeff

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Eric, that isn't fair. You are ignoring evidence. Circumstantial evidence can be very powerful. I urge you to read through saveKBV.org

....We have amassed research and evidence.

Jeff - I have read everything on saveKBV.org and am not new to this discussion. Where exactly is the "research and evidence" that Lou Columbo is "controlled by Wyndham".

[comment removed]

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And you need to know that Lou Columbo voted to keep two independent owners off the ballot.

And Jeff - how sure are you that Lou Columbo voted to keep independent owners off the ballot? As I understand it, any incumbent up for re-election would have to abstain from a vote on election related matters.

Based on your "research and evidence" do you have those facts correct? It is a pretty damning allegation IMHO.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Folks - This is an important topic, and emotions can run high - that's understandable. To facilitate a civil debate, please focus on the issues and steer clear of personal comments - thank you.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And Jeff - how sure are you that Lou Columbo voted to keep independent owners off the ballot? As I understand it, any incumbent up for re-election would have to abstain from a vote on election related matters.

Based on your "research and evidence" do you have those facts correct? It is a pretty damning allegation IMHO.

Yes. BTW, a certainly fair question on your part. I like that you asked it rather than making assumptions.

Lou voted against a long-time owner and previous BOD member, as well as myself from being on the ballot. The for BOD had been one who had voted to end Wyndham's contract with the resort. Karen Blackford had also similarly voted, as a BOD, to end Wyndham's contract. She was voted off when Wyndham used their deeds to vote on pro-Wyndham voices. See the Wyndham's Smoking Gun on saveKBV.org.

Trish Harrington was the only BOD to vote to put both this other owner and myself onto the ballot.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Jeff - So you are saying that you know this happened, because there were reputable witnesses present when Lou voted against 3 owners who wanted to be on the ballot? Do you know if they publish their meeting minutes, or if they are available for owners to request?

vice

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am glad to see multiple parties giving opinions of how to vote and the reasoning behind it. I feel this may be one of the most consequential votes I ever cast for a timeshare and am actually quite concerned about making a good decision. If a couple of dozen independent thinkers that are on TUG that actually have votes to cast for KBV elections can't come to a consensus about what 2 candidates to put our votes behind, what chance does anyone have of preventing a Wyndham controlled board. (We need 2 seat wins, 1 does us little good). I don't have anything to add that would help anyone make a decision other than suggest that someone (moderator?) create a poll to see what candidates everyone is planning on voting for, requesting that only KBV owners with an actual vote participate.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aloha,

This is a general response not only to Lou Colombo’s note but to the full BoD of KBV whether they are up for re-election this year or next.

Until there is agreement on a clear statement of important problems to be solved for KBV, there can be no logical assurance that a list of actions that everyone agrees is necessary (i.e. the shared intersection of divergent views of the situation) is also sufficient to solve the core problems facing KBV.

My analysis in the pdf named Goodstein_KBV_BOD_2018 concludes: The core problem which impacts bad debt and maintenance fees and is a major source of dissatisfaction to owners seeking to dispose of their ownership is that the aftermarket resale value for KBV timeshares is negligible or negative.

My proposal for the direction of solution in that same document is: . . . the KBV BoD should develop and deploy a marketing plan to identify characteristics of potential buyers likely to appreciate KBV (segmentation) and focus communications to reach them (targeting)

In all the recent communications received from KBV and the other candidates, I do not recall anyone other than myself identifying any specific core problem let alone offering a direction for the solution (as opposed to a detailed solution which I haven’t developed either).

Jack

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Trish Harrington was the only BOD to vote to put both this other owner and myself onto the ballot.

Jeff - this rebuttal does not support your statement that "And you need to know that Lou Columbo voted to keep two independent owners off the ballot.".

As I pointed out, Lou abstaining is not him voting to keep you off the ballot as you assert. For it would be a conflict of interest for a BoD member running for re-election to actively work to keep his/her challengers off the ballot.

I believe this is a key issue - if you have evidence that Lou voted to keep independent owners off the ballot that certainly is demonstrative of his lack of independence.

So please share with us to the evidence you have of the voting record.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jeff - this rebuttal does not support your statement that "And you need to know that Lou Columbo voted to keep two independent owners off the ballot.".

As I pointed out, Lou abstaining is not him voting to keep you off the ballot as you assert. For it would be a conflict of interest for a BoD member running for re-election to actively work to keep his/her challengers off the ballot.

I believe this is a key issue - if you have evidence that Lou voted to keep independent owners off the ballot that certainly is demonstrative of his lack of independence.

So please share with us to the evidence you have of the voting record.

You know what, you're right, Eric. I owe a big apology on that note.

It was Larry and Dani who voted down the candidates.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I owe Lou Columbo an apology for including him in with the nominating committee which voted to keep off two anti-Wyndham candidates. My brain mistook Lou for Larry Warner in terms of the vote. Lou had to abstain (as did Linda) because their seats are up for election. It was Larry Warner and Dani Ramos who voted them down to be included on the ballot. Again, only Trish Harrington voted for them to be included.

I'm terribly sorry about that.

Still, Lou's open letter to the owners states that Wyndham is playing fair and everything is copacetic. Detailed minutes aren't kept for the Board meetings. Only voting records are kept. We never know the discussions that go on during the BOD meetings unless we attend. That's not good. Trish has suggested that better records of the meetings are kept, Linda has said no. Trish feels like she is alone there on the BOD, as her concerns have largely not been considered. It is Linda Kolstad, as President, who dictates the agenda. Linda does not acknowledge the work Grand Pacific has done. She'll acknowledge those on the BOD, and she'll defend Wyndham. Meanwhile, Trish, from her independent owner perspective, has had her concerns batted down, while Larry and Dani have been vocally lock step with Linda. Lou has not been vocally supportive of Trish. He may be merely laying low and not wanting to rock the boat. But we need more pro-active people on the Board. KBV is potentially in serious trouble if Wyndham is allowed to end Grand Pacific's contract and then take back over the running of the timeshares.

Sincerely,

Jeff

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jeff - Thanks for setting the record straight.

And while I while I can empathize that Trish feels she needs better air cover from Lou, I still cannot reconcile why some of these suggested changes were not implemented before Wyndham took control of the BoD. Hasn’t she been on the BoD for a number of years?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jeff - Thanks for setting the record straight.

And while I while I can empathize that Trish feels she needs better air cover from Lou, I still cannot reconcile why some of these suggested changes were not implemented before Wyndham took control of the BoD. Hasn’t she been on the BoD for a number of years?

You're welcome, and I'll do the short version answer of your question since I have covered this before in the past. You can probably look back at KBV threads here.

In the meantime, the first part of the answer is that, indeed, the IOA and AOAO BODs for a long time sort of effectively abdicated their responsibilities in terms of oversight of the resort management. For a long time, the original developer, David Walters, along with his assistant, Lynn McGrory, made the decisions. They were President and Vice-President for a long time. When Lynn left the Board, Trish took over as VP, and then became President when David passed away.

But as long as David was in control, the BOD sort of just went along with what he and Lynn did, not bothering to question. They assumed that David and Lynn knew what they were doing and, again, didn't question it. Sometime short of 2005, David brought Wyndham in.

I bought in 2001. In 2005, I was at the owners' update while I was there. I know Wyndham had at least a presence there at the time because I have evidence. The person talking to me at one point offered me an opportunity to join Club Wyndham if I turned over my oceanfront 2BR/2BA deed to them plus $7000 in order to join their Club Wyndham. I questioned whether I would have the same guarantee to use the oceanfront units that I had at the time (since I had a deed to them and had paid a premium for that deed).

But the more I thought about it, the more I had the opinion that the offer was inappropriate - for a number of reasons. #1) There'd be no way, particularly as most of the units were individually owned, that Wyndham would have enough inventory, not to mention oceanfront inventory, to guarantee me that I'd be able to use the oceanfront units #2). Why was the management company we hired to manage our timeshare units (Wyndham) using our owners update to profit their Club Wyndham Vacation program company? I thought it was unethical (We're paying them to manage the property and they're using that time to profit another aspect of Wyndham.).

I started to inquire with a couple of members of the board and told them about my experience at the owners update. They were not aware that Wyndham was doing that. But the more I inquired (looking into the job they were doing), we started to come to the conclusion that Wyndham was underperforming. I wrote an article for TimeSharing Today about it, and I got many responses from those who had similar experiences. I continue to ask about buying, maintenance, and upgrading practices that Wyndham was doing. In contact with a couple members of the BOD, we kept seeing that Wyndham was things like buying mediocre furniture, but paying more for it. They replaced good plates in the kitchens with lesser quality ones, but charging more for them. With the payment model to get paid 10% of the maintenance fees, they'd make more money the more money they spent. But the resort was going downhill, with maintenance fees going up. In contrast, since Grand Pacific has come on board, we're in much better shape financially due to their rental program having raised $800,000 for the resort. This compares to the $100,000 that Wyndham had raised in rentals their last year as manager. It is now, with Grand Pacific as manager, that we're really starting to see major improvements.

At one point, David and Lynn had made an agreement to give Wyndham access to unpaid deeds if, after one full year, the maintenance fees weren't paid. Under the agreement, Wyndham would purchase the deeds for just the cost of foreclosure, $750/deed. Again, the rest of the BOD went along thinking that David knew what he was doing and that all was in the best interest of the long term health of the resort and the owners. David agreed to sell Wyndham the clubhouse for $1.

A good company would have done due diligence to really go after/try to contact the owners to get them to get their maintenance fees up to date. Wyndham wasn't doing that. They were waiting until the year would go by on the unpaid deeds and then quickly snap them up for the $750. Wyndham was slow in transferring them to their name, saving a lot in maintenance fees. But rather than try to sell them off, they held onto them to use the voting power. This was particularly important to Wyndham after the BOD started to catch "Wynd" (pun intended) that they just weren't getting good results for the money. David and the BOD had given Wyndham Management company a 10 year contract. The BOD wanted to get out of it, but it would have been too costly in terms of a legal fees. The BOD eventually voted to not renew Wyndham's contract when it ended, and started to look at alternative management companies. Wyndham wasn't having any of it. As you can see from the Wyndham's Smoking Gun memo, Wyndham plotted to remove BOD members who weren't pro-Wyndham, and replace them with those who were.

So the majority of the BOD's reliance on David Walters and Lynn McGrory to do the right thing, and assuming that Wyndham would do well didn't work out so well. The BODs were, indeed, guilty of a lack of oversight. But they did eventually wake up, although it was partly too late to keep Wyndham from getting control of both the AOAO and IOA. Wyndham's goal, right now, is to have control of the IOA BOD when Grand Pacific's contract is set to run out (in about 18 months). They will then end Grand Pacific's contract and vote to bring Wyndham back. The actual Wyndham employees (why are there two Wyndham employees on our board??) will likely have to recuse themselves. But Wyndham will work to get some non-employees who are sympathetic to Wyndham to vote in their favor. It's what Karen Blackford, Trish Harrington, myself, and even Jack Goodstein are trying to do to keep that from happening. It's essentially taking a monumental effort to regain the majority of the BOD. The AOAO was about to end Wyndham's contract as well, but Wyndham was able to get hold of that board and keep it from happening. It's why Wyndham manages the grounds and buildings while Grand Pacific manages the interiors of the timeshare units, the rentals, the sales, and the activities.

Hmmm, that was longer than the short version, wasn't it. :ponder:

Jeff

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
By a bit I would say. :D

While I understand your perspective, I come at this from a different standpoint. As Jack observes in his posts, the current challenge facing KBV and most legacy timeshares, is the issue of replacing owners who exit (or flee) the timeshare. So while you see Wyndham as only self-serving in their approach, I see Wyndham as providing some protection that the resort will remain viable. Because the deeds they take back move from not paying m/f to paying m/f. Perhaps what you say is true about the timeliness of that process, but at the end of the day dues start being paid.

Now some will argue that the BoD/HOA should take those deeds back and resell them - generating revenue for the resort. Many resorts have tried that approach, and I think most of them would rather have a deal like KBV had. Toward that end perhaps modifications to that deal would have helped - for instance requiring them to make the resort whole on the delinquent m/f, to properly incentivize them to foreclose in a timely manner.

Likewise, I fail to understand the benefit of having an combative relationship with an organization that owns 20% of the resort. Any resort improvement plan would be difficult to achieve without their buy-in. So unless GPR has some desire to buy them out, it seems the best long-term strategy is find a middle ground that allows the resort to move forward. So what we need now is more BoD members pro-actively focused on working with Wyndham to make the resort better, and not creating a combative relationship with the largest stakeholder.

ps. I dont believe the Wyndham reps can vote on the mgt contract. They are barred by state law.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's a small point, but it annoys me and it's symtomatic of the bigger issues: On our last trip to KBV, we had to do a sales pitch to get arm bands for the hotel pool. It ticks me off, that I have to drive to Princeville, waste half a day, and endure a high pressure sales pitch, to use the hotel pool! If Wyndham wasn't there, exploiting the pool use situation to feed the sales machine, I feel that GPR would be able to negotiate a mutually beneficial agreement for timeshare owners and condo-hotel owners - as we have in the past.

IMNSHO, Wyndham's first priority is clearly SALES, which is why they should not be the resort management company.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's a small point, but it annoys me and it's symtomatic of the bigger issues: On our last trip to KBV, we had to do a sales pitch to get arm bands for the hotel pool. It ticks me off, that I have to drive to Princeville, waste half a day, and endure a high pressure sales pitch, to use the hotel pool! If Wyndham wasn't there, exploiting the pool use situation to feed the sales machine, I feel that GPR would be able to negotiate a mutually beneficial agreement for timeshare owners and condo-hotel owners - as we have in the past.

IMNSHO, Wyndham's first priority is clearly SALES, which is why they should not be the resort management company.

Denise, you're spot on here. When David Walters agreed to sell the Clubhouse to Wyndham for a song, it forced ANY other management company to have to cave in to Wyndham's demands just to have a place to check owners (and guests) in, as well as have an office for the General Manager to operate in. There is NO other space. Furthermore, Wyndham has put pressure on the hotel not to let Grand Pacific use the space inside the hotel that we used to use for the owners updates and sales. Remember that large space just off the lobby of the hotel?

I know that a potential agreement is possibly in place with the hotel for owners to use their facilities, but the last I heard, the hotel board was supposed to vote on the agreement, and I don't believe they have followed through with their vote.

Wyndham's modus operandi has always seemed to be SALES rather than SERVICE. Many people's experience (as several have written in TimeSharing Today) is that they'll sell you on one thing, and then soon after, they're trying to sell you on the next thing. It's anecdotal, but many have that impression.

Whereas a company like Grand Pacific really seems to focus on doing a great job and securing loyalty that way.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
By a bit I would say. :D

While I understand your perspective, I come at this from a different standpoint. As Jack observes in his posts, the current challenge facing KBV and most legacy timeshares, is the issue of replacing owners who exit (or flee) the timeshare. So while you see Wyndham as only self-serving in their approach, I see Wyndham as providing some protection that the resort will remain viable. Because the deeds they take back move from not paying m/f to paying m/f. Perhaps what you say is true about the timeliness of that process, but at the end of the day dues start being paid.

Now some will argue that the BoD/HOA should take those deeds back and resell them - generating revenue for the resort. Many resorts have tried that approach, and I think most of them would rather have a deal like KBV had. Toward that end perhaps modifications to that deal would have helped - for instance requiring them to make the resort whole on the delinquent m/f, to properly incentivize them to foreclose in a timely manner.

Likewise, I fail to understand the benefit of having an combative relationship with an organization that owns 20% of the resort. Any resort improvement plan would be difficult to achieve without their buy-in. So unless GPR has some desire to buy them out, it seems the best long-term strategy is find a middle ground that allows the resort to move forward. So what we need now is more BoD members pro-actively focused on working with Wyndham to make the resort better, and not creating a combative relationship with the largest stakeholder.

ps. I dont believe the Wyndham reps can vote on the mgt contract. They are barred by state law.

Eric, think of it this way. They now own 20% of the KBV timeshare deeds. They are represented by at least 60% of the IOA Board of Directors. Does that seem fair and/or a good idea?

Secondly, the BOD at the time thought that Wyndham would make an honest effort in reselling the deeds. Instead, they have used the deeds to force a BOD takeover. Is that an example of a management company doing good work for the owners?

Thirdly, if they had done a better job of maintaining and upgrading the resort (compare their 10 years with Grand Pacific's 1 1/3rd years), and if they done due diligence with reselling the the deeds, why do you think that we'd be in the same boat as we are now? Don't you think the value of the resort for resales would have been better? And don't you think that there would have been, then, a decent number of resales meaning that new excited KBV owners would have been generated in place of all of these deeds in Wyndham's hands? And if there were more actual independent, excited KBV owners using their deeds, there'd be more positive energy and buzz surrounding KBV?

Fourthly, Grand Pacific generated $800,000 in rentals last year (2017) compared to about $100,000 by Wyndham in 2016. If Grand Pacific had been here in charge of the rentals for even 5 of the years that Wyndham was here, that could have been 5.6 million dollars more generated for KBV owners to pay for improvements and offset the need for raised maintenance fees. That's a LOT of moolah. Wyndham's MO is SALES, not great caretaking. If they had really put in the same effort into renting as they do into their sales, we would have been in MUCH better shape. Now, Wyndham owns the Clubhouse and we have to go through their 2-3 hour sales presentation for their Bali Hai resort, including the mandatory trip up to the North Shore to do it, in order to get a wristband that will allow us to use the pools at the hotel next door.

Does all of this sound like a company that has our best interests at heart??

Jeff

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
<snip> . . . Don't you think the value of the resort for resales would have been better? . . .
Aloha,
While this statement is a minor detail within Jeff's post, I would like to use it as an opportunity to manage the expectations of those folks who have read my lengthy analysis.
The value of the majority of timeshares plummeted to negligible or negative several years ago. Unconverted KBV weeks are not part of a major brand mini-system, some of which have retained some positive value. It is likely that informed aftermarket buyers would compare KBV to near equivalent units in Kauai or other Hawaiian Islands. Until total demand for Hawaiian resale units exceeds availability, there is little reason to expect resale prices for KBV to materially increase. What I do believe is possible is to increase the relative desirability of KBV ownership among informed buyers of resales. A price premium of $1 to a couple of hundred over comparables would not change an informed buyers calculations by much. A price premium over comparables of a couple of thousand could easily impact a buyer's calculations.
If the marketing approach I advocate is adopted and succeeds, current KBV owners who want to sell should be able to successfully exit their ownership without suffering scams or negative impacts to their credit rating.
I have no expectation that such sellers will net any substantial cash; it is possible that they will have to continue to pay some or all of the transactions costs.
Jack
BTW - I have begun outlining what a marketing plan might look like. If there are any KBV owners reading this that want to participate (i.e. trade emails outside of TUG) in its development please PM me.

Last edited: