• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Palm Desert vs Hawaii

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Thanks for sharing your ideas, Taterhead.

When I'm flying I use my 22" carry-on, I am old enough that I typically get TSA pre-check, and I carry a bit computer bag - - probably similar to the backpack. When I go to Hawaii, I DO hit Costco. So, we are pretty much in synch.

But I still find it a PITA to fly. It is so much easier to just load up one of my vehicles and drive.

BTW, I got a kick out of your comment abt. the wine aerator. We use one at home but haven't carried one with us. (Yet). I find that when in Costco, that there are some decent wines. I snap pictures of the labels and use Vivino to give me a wine rating. I works very well.

TSA Precheck has nothing to do with age. If you are still getting randomly selected you are lucky. The only thing age gets you is that 70 and older you don't have to remove your shoes.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
We travel everywhere with a carry-on and TSA Precheck / Global Entry. We do not check bags anymore. Even with a carry on, we still do not use all the clothes we bring. Plus the beauty of timeshares is they usually have a washer/dryer.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
There are obviously many different reasons why someone might choose Palm Desert over Hawaii.

Some possibilities:
- lower cost
- more convenient (less travel time/ no time zone difference for west coasters/ easier to do a shorter trip or make the most of a week)
- gambling is available and legal in Palm Desert, not in Hawaii
- closer to home (easier to go home in emergency, remember that the Hawaiian islands are THE MOST REMOTE place on Earth)
- more retirees and more gay people in Palm Desert, perhaps more activities that the vacationer enjoys
- events, for example Modernism Week occurs in Palm Springs every Feb. but I don't know of any special, open to the public art/architectural event in Hawaii
- fear of planes/ dislike of air travel/ or maybe the traveler is on the no-fly list
- dislike or fear of ocean or volcanoes/ worries about nuclear threats
- racial prejudice (I'm sure there are a few travelers who prefer Palm Desert area because there are more white people there)
- health reasons that the traveler can't fly (pregnancy, certain lung and heart conditions, etc)
- health reasons that the traveler prefers arid climates (allergies, etc)
- past bad experience in Hawaii

I went to Hawaii for the first time this last Summer and while there was much to enjoy I am NOT itching to go back. We had some negative experiences and an emergency back home. Being so remote was very stressful.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are obviously many different reasons why someone might choose Palm Desert over Hawaii.

Some possibilities:
- lower cost
- more convenient (less travel time/ no time zone difference for west coasters/ easier to do a shorter trip or make the most of a week)
- gambling is available and legal in Palm Desert, not in Hawaii
- closer to home (easier to go home in emergency, remember that the Hawaiian islands are THE MOST REMOTE place on Earth)
- more retirees and more gay people in Palm Desert, perhaps more activities that the vacationer enjoys
- events, for example Modernism Week occurs in Palm Springs every Feb. but I don't know of any special, open to the public art/architectural event in Hawaii
- fear of planes/ dislike of air travel/ or maybe the traveler is on the no-fly list
- dislike or fear of ocean or volcanoes/ worries about nuclear threats
- racial prejudice (I'm sure there are a few travelers who prefer Palm Desert area because there are more white people there)
- health reasons that the traveler can't fly (pregnancy, certain lung and heart conditions, etc)
- health reasons that the traveler prefers arid climates (allergies, etc)
- past bad experience in Hawaii

I went to Hawaii for the first time this last Summer and while there was much to enjoy I am NOT itching to go back. We had some negative experiences and an emergency back home. Being so remote was very stressful.

I want to add that weather is better in Palm Desert between Dec to Mar as it hardly gets any rain in the desert. Between mild temperature and low humidty in the desert, it makes for a very comfortable time. We also enjoy the Thu night market in Palm Springs. It is not the usual trinket fair. Love the Living Desert, and other attractions in the Palm Desert area. If you want to hike, there is the Joshua Tree National Park.

To expand the bullet on low cost, for golfers like us, Hawaii golf prices are very high and Palm Desert area golf is much more affordable and there are lots to choose from. It is also so much less cumbersome to drive with golf clubs as opposed to hauling it to the airport for check-in and pick up. We are too cheap to use shipsticks.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Thanks for sharing your ideas, Taterhead.

But I still find it a PITA to fly. It is so much easier to just load up one of my vehicles and drive.

I agree !!! This last couple of years there were issues with all of our flights starting in winter 2017. Lost luggage, late luggage, delays that caused missed connecting flights and odd or smelly people. Our last flight to Mexico was delayed because some guy poked his eye on the seat and then delayed again when a child started projectile type throwing up all over the place.

Some of our best timeshare trips are visits that we drove to. Some included taking a boat, atv's or golf clubs.

Bill

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I agree !!! This last couple of years there were issues with all of our flights starting in winter 2017. Lost luggage, late luggage, delays that caused missed connecting flights and odd or smelly people. Our last flight to Mexico was delayed because some guy poked his eye on the seat and then delayed again when a child started projectile type throwing up all over the place.

Some of our best timeshare trips are visits that we drove to. Some included taking a boat, atv's or golf clubs.

Bill

To counter: We just got back from two weeks in Hawaii, East Coast to MOC and MOC to LIH and LIH to East Coast.

Only had one delay (Hawaiian--due to T-storms) and had fantastic flights. We did see one equipment substitution, but the airline re-seated us and mad us very happy with the credits/miles for our trouble.

I'm certainly not 'Hawaii only' and looking forward to hitting Phoenix or the Dessert this year. Wish we could drive, but that ain't happening.
I'll agree, it is stressful being 12 hours from home by plane. Sometimes, Europe seems 'close' in comparison to Hawaii. But, that won't stop us from going.

cheers!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've gone to Palm Desert for 20 years in February. Generally, it's 70's in February (low 70's is normal high), sometimes 80's, and sometimes 60's. It was 92 this year before Valentines day. We've gone to Hawaii a few times as well, to 3 of the islands. Quite honestly, Palm Desert is our favorite place of the dozens of places we've been to within the US. There are so many things to do there, and, it's easier to get there and cheaper. And we own there of course. It's not a drive for us, it's a flight. We find there are lots of northeasterners there escaping the winter. In 20 years, probably 26 weeks in total by now, we've seen rain once, another good thing, can rely on sunshine. Generally, we fly into Ontario via SWA, cheaper rental cars there too. It's a beautiful place. Love the fancy stores, not that we buy much in them mind you!