• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Penalty when cancelling a points reservation?

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have never such a penalty when reserving with points. I was checking availability on a 5 night stay to attach to a 5 night certificate. I was surprised to see the penalty being incurred after one day. To make matters worse, the penalty is a charge for the room and not a lose of points.

Is this non-cancellation policy new?

About this reservation:

You may cancel your reservation for no charge until July 21, 2018. Please note that we will assess a fee if you must cancel after this deadline. If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card. This fee equals your room charge plus tax for all the nights of your reservation.

Learn more

140,000 points for 5 night will be deducted from your Rewards account.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Is the ressie for just a couple days away....or further out?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never encountered this. In fact I had made all sorts of adjustments using the certificates in the past.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Very odd. Wonder if it has anything to do with their attempt to prevent folks from booking artificial ressie's with their 5 and 7 night packages in advance of the 8/1/18 swap over to the new MR categories in the hopes of coming out on the other side with some advantage upon cancellation of the ressie.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
The reservation is for Florence Italy for next June. I just rechecked and noticed that all the rates are non-refundable. I couldn't find one that was cancellable. That may explain why the points reservation is non-cancellable, but it is also strange. I tried to chat on-line but no agents were available and I was disconnected.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very odd. Wonder if it has anything to do with their attempt to prevent folks from booking artificial ressie's with their 5 and 7 night packages in advance of the 8/1/18 swap over to the new MR categories in the hopes of coming out on the other side with some advantage upon cancellation of the ressie.

It is currently a category 7 and moving to a category 5 which both require the same amount of points.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
The reservation is for Florence Italy for next June. I just rechecked and noticed that all the rates are non-refundable. I couldn't find one that was cancellable. That may explain why the points reservation is non-cancellable, but it is also strange. I tried to chat on-line but no agents were available and I was disconnected.
Appears to be hotel/season specific.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Marriott started charging fees if you don’t cancel by a certain deadline for free night certificates Hyatt does it to I use free night certificates for booking at both that I get from chase but they tell you on reservation if you don’t cancel by a given date they will charge you X amount for 1st nights stay.

I had my Hyatt Centric South Beach, Miami booked a couple years ago this wife had to work last minute, but I went anyway to prevent them from charging me $400 for no-showing.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vail Marriott charges a HUGE cancellation fee in excess of the actual room rate if youc cancel a refundable points reservation (albeit I think you get the points back as that is a program, not a hotel policy).

I thought that hotels were ot allowed to make the points portion nonrefundable, but were entitled to set the cancellation period, which in Vails case they make something like 180 days IIRC, and it appears in the case of the OPs hotel in florence they have made infinite!!

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score

I checked other dates in April, May and June and all come up as non-cancellable. I found dates in early March that could be cancelled one day prior to check in. I am leaning towards reserving the March dates rather than leaving the certificate unattached. The thought is that there is a possibility that Marriott could allow a change of dates. In addition, the hotel is currently a cat 7 and going to a cat 5 which are the same number of points.