• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Picked up 2 Hyatt wild Oak San Antonio getaways for May

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Any suggestions what to do and where to eat there for 2 weeks? April25 to May 09 2020

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Lots to do in San Antonio. My mom lives there, so we've visited many times over the years.

I'm assuming you will do some homework (I generally use TripAdvisor) to find the popular attractions in San Antonio. Here are some additional ideas that you might not come across and some day trips. These will require a car.

In no particular order:
1. Schedule a factory tour of the Toyota truck plant - all Toyota trucks are manufactured at the San Antonio plant. We lucked out when we visited. No one else was there, so we had a private tour. http://www.toyotatexas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=2

2. Most people know about the Alamo. But there are 4 other missions south of the Alamo that form San Antonio Missions National Historic Park. As I recall, we started at the visitor center at mission #2 (Mission San Jose). It was then a short drive back to mission #1, and then we went south to missions #3 and #4. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...tional_Historical_Park-San_Antonio_Texas.html

3. Do some searching on the painted churches of Texas. German and Czech immigrants came to Texas in the mid 1800s in search of cheap land and, missing their homeland, built small European style churches. There are four churches clustered close together around Schulenberg. Here's a link:
http://www.texasescapes.com/CentralTexasTownsSouth/PaintedChurchesTour.htm
It will be about 1 1/2 or so hours driving time from San Antonio to the Schulenberg area. We started at Saint Mary’s Church of the Assumption in Flatonia and visited the 3 others in the nearby area. Then we looped back (a little bit out of the way) through Shiner to visit a 5th church in Shiner (Saints Cyril and Methodius Church). Also in Shiner is the beer factory. The European immigrants missed their home beer, so a brewery was started to brew European style beer. You can tour the beer factory (I'll admit that I've been on better brewery tours) and then sample a bunch of their beers. We like darker beers, and they do brew pretty good beer. I'll warn you that the serving sizes are generous. We drank half our beer samples before the tour and the other half after the tour. I'm glad we did. Had we drank all of the samples after the tour, we would have been too loaded to drive safely back to San Antonio. If I remember, the beer factory tour cost something like $5 per person. We visited these churches + the beer factory on our last trip to San Antonio - it was a very full day. These are active churches, so don't plan this for a Sunday.

One warning: once you get off the I-10, you are in rural Texas. My cell phone signal (Verizon) faded quickly and I lost Google maps. Fortunately, our rental car had a GPS that helped us get around. So if you want to plan a tour of the churches, make sure you have a GPS that will work or bring along maps to help guide you.

4. Day trip to Fredricksburg - Spring should be a nice time of year for this. To get you started:
https://traveladdicts.net/things-to-do-in-fredericksburg-texas/
https://www.fredericksburgtexas-online.com/plan-your-trip/willow-city-loop/
If you're a hiker, I've read that Enchanted Rock is a nice place for hiking, but I've never been. Also, if you are into wineries, there are a number of wineries in the area, but I've never visited. And there's another painted church in Fredricksburg. Look up how long the drive will be to Fredricksburg.

5. Spring should be a nice time of year to consider any of the following: San Antonio Zoo, Japanese Tea Gardens, San Antonio Botanic Garden. I'm pretty sure you'll come across info on these as you search San Antonio attractions.

6. You can check if a visit to Austin would interest you.

Have fun planning your trip. For me, planning is part of the fun.

Last edited:

peas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mamma Margie's - 10 min to the north of Wild Oak - cheap eat/fast food - local chain

Like going to the Pearl area and eating - La Gloria as well as the food hall there - make sure to take in the remodel of the plant

We also like Two Step Restaurant & Cantina - the beef ribs & spicy Mac & cheese if they have it available.

La Fogata - we used to love it, but last time we didn't love it. but good ambiance.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Viola’s Mexican Restaurant is just minutes from the resort. The Grey Moss Inn is about a 30 minute drive, out the Bandera Highway in Helotes. The Little Rhein Steakhouse downtown is great, as is the Buckhorn Saloon. The Magnolia Pancake House off I-10 and Huebner is great for breakfast. The food at JB’s at the Wild Oak Ranch is reasonable and very good. Second the idea of visiting the Pearl District.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this resort is still the prettiest resort we have ever been to. We have gone twice with the most recent this past August. We travel with a child....so our choice of activities are geared around her.

Them parks will be open....but mostly on the weekends during that time of year. SeaWorld is a 10 minute drive and there is a six flags and LEGOLAND also.

We also enjoyed the Natural Bridge Caverns and on the same sight is a drive through safari to feed animals from your car. The Alamo of course....but like others have said, certainly tour the other missions (I found them more interesting than the Alamo).

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Thanks great suggestions keep them coming. Will the weather be good for the pool it seemed like it would based on my research.