• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Planet Hollywood Towers - the #1 timeshare in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Reaction score
Perry,

I haven't humiliated you. I've simply pointed out some facts. You presented this as the Number 1 timeshare in the USA. It helps to have as much perspective as possible when claims like that are being made.

Steve

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I deleted this post

Last edited:

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I deleted this post

Last edited:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
While I was posting you posted a note in which you said that you asked TUG to delete the thread because it was now an embarrasment. I don't think you get to decide that whether it will be obliterated or not just because it no longer pleases you. If it no longer pleases you, just stop reading it, for heaven's sake.

And now, its bedtime...

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I deleted this post

Last edited:

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I deleted this post

Last edited:

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I deleted this post

Last edited:

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I deleted this post

Last edited:

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I deleted this post

Last edited:

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I deleted this post

Last edited:

Spence

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sorry that PerryM has taken all this so personally, I don't see any personal attacks but I'm not on the receiving end. I'm very thin skinned too, so if someone started tearing apart my evals/comments on Signature/Sunterra/Diamond, maybe I'd get upset, too.

I believe a lot of valuable info for someone interested in high end timeshare has been deleted. I don't have that kind of money so I read with interest but couldn't even start to consider a like purchase.

It disappoints me that PerryM has deleted all his posts in this thread, this is very similar to what another prolific poster, MG, has done in the past and is the reason that when I reply most times I quote the post so that it doesn't disappear at the OP's whim.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I, too, have read Perry's posts with interest. Not that I would make such a purchase, but he is a wealth of information and I have learnt a great deal from his posts, amongst others. Elsewhere I too have received, shall I say, unflattering character assassination for my stance that dogs shouldn't be allowed in timeshares, so I can understand his annoyance.

As posted above, we should be able to have different standpoints but respect each other's views. The openness of this forum is what makes it so great and educational. Maybe Perry's purchase may even appear "stupid" to some, but that doesn't make it a stupid purchase and his rationale has a lot of merit. I viewed the discussion as an educational opportunity to learn about a segment I am really ignorant about. I also learnt a lot from the counter-responses. It is a shame that it has denigrated to this point.

I, for one, would miss it if Perry stopped posting. While I don't accept what he says as gospel, it does present a different perspective worthy of thought. Recently, I very much appreciated his discussions in the destination club forum and, while he is obviosuly at odds with Bill over many points, their open, friendly debate was most informative and enabled me to discern what would be right for me personally. It's a shame that this post couldn't have continued in the same vein; I for one was interested in hearing about the developer's responses to his hard inquiries.

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I deleted this post

Last edited:

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I deleted this post

Last edited:
S

Steamboat Bill

I, for one, would miss it if Perry stopped posting. While I don't accept what he says as gospel, it does present a different perspective worthy of thought. Recently, I very much appreciated his discussions in the destination club forum and, while he is obviosuly at odds with Bill over many points, their open, friendly debate was most informative and enabled me to discern what would be right for me personally. It's a shame that this post couldn't have continued in the same vein; I for one was interested in hearing about the developer's responses to his hard inquiries.

I am the moderator of the Non-traditional Intervral Ownership and appreciate a "healthy educated debate" on most issues. It is unfortunate that this thread has gotten off topic and probably should be closed and/or deleted, but I will leave that to the moderator of this forum.

I was also "surprised" by Perry's decision to buy Westgate Las Vegas, but after studying his plan, I concluded that he is making an "educated decision" and will more than likely make a nice profit on this purchase when he decides to sell (along with enjoying a nice timeshare for vacation).

Perry and I have debated hundreds of posts regarding Destination Clubs and I have given him 100% credit for turning me on to High Counrty Club (even thought he decided not to join). At this point we have agreed that we disagree on joining a DC, but he brings a valuable perspective to the discussion and the industry would benefit if they implemented some of his ideas.

As a personal note, the anomonity of the Internet results in certain people saying and doing things that they normally would not do in "real life". Thus, I would tell Perry to not take it so personal and simply avoid this thread and restore his aviatar and personal descriptions.

Some people poke fun (serious or not...who knows) at my MANY threads on DVC and some of my posts on HCC could be considered "shilling"...but I think the good things about TUG outweigh the negative things and I am willing to share some of my knowledge along with learning from others.

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sorry that Perry is so upset too. I did not follow this thread since it is out of my confort zone.

I don't believe to treat TS as not invesment is right. I know for sure WYN, Marriott, and numerous developer are making money. I know quite a lot Tug have bought and sell TS more than they pay, and I know a lot of people has rent out their TS and get a decent return (at least much more than rent a house in the metro area). And I believe there are quite few situation where you buy from developer is good choices although I never meet one or comfortable with one even if I meet that situation.

But I believe two things I feel particular interesting
1. What is Perry's Purchase price. Sounds like the saleman makes a mistake and give Perry a discount. Now, add some incentive, if say the developer has constantly know to increase sale price and ROFR at 40%, and Perry get 40% discount at thismonet, this is wonder investment. Last year, I believe I saw Perry's post on DC that offers a decent discount Perry get for all tug although he has yet to purchase it. Unfortuantely, Perry could not tell the exact discount he got.
2. Sounds like Perry can get out of the contract more than the normal recind day. Not only Perry did get a discount, sounds like he has send letter to the developer to ask them clarify things. Which means he may have conditions in his contract that he can back out on certain situations.

Also, from what I read, I believe Perry has enough profolio in area like this, so for me, it is very uncomfortable to make a deal like this because I could not handle a loss, for Perry, if it is loss, it is only a small loss and if it is gain, it will be hugh profit.

Don't know the detail of it, so just pure guess.

Jya-Ning

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me first say that I stood up for PerryM and his right to post whatever he wants in my post #128. I also believe that everyone else on this forum has a right to post opposing views and MANY Tuggers have done that on this thread. I don’t believe that he was disrespected or humiliated by anyone on this thread and he is taking criticism of his PH purchase WAY to personally.

I’m shocked that Perry has taken the “I’m taking my ball and going home” action on this thread. I would have to delete half of my posts on TUG if I took the same approach.

I held off on posting my opinions on Perry’s purchase at PH because I was one of the few people who actually asked Perry for his analysis and wanted to review it first. The analysis never came after several delays from Perry. I assume that Perry’s analysis either was not correct, it never existed or he has now taken that home with his ball. Too bad because I bet Perry put a lot of work into it.

I’m also shocked at the thread where Perry attacks Fern of all people. Fern has been a great source of information and non-confrontational discussion.

This smacks of he who “can give it but can’t take it”. I have endured endless rants by Perry over on the Non-Traditional Interval Ownership forum (a.k.a. DC Forum) which include (IMHO) misinformation, doomsday predictions, out of context political rants, unusual metaphors and analogies, and just general wackiness (my opinions, don’t take it personally). He seems to ignore facts as presented and moves the target by indifference to posts that directly offer counter logic to his posts. I and many of the other posters on that forum have responded with continued factual based counter-points. The main point is that we have continued the debate in a civil manner which has (hopefully) educated all of us and any Tuggers observing. If the mods delete this thread, then I’ve got a list for them to delete on the DC forum for the same reasons.

Don’t delete the thread because it’s still a great source of information on why NOT to buy at PH since Perry has removed all the info on why to buy at PH.

Should I delete my post #128 where I defend Perry?

P.S. …. Perry won’t stop posting as he threatens here (and as he’s threatened many times previously on this thread) because he’s a hardcore poster like the rest of us.

P.S.S. … And Perry has the right to continue posting wherever he likes.

P.P.S.S. … And Perry should continue to post. And I’m sure he will …in response to my post.

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
.... This is an open debate, it's not pot shots at Perry. I, for one, didn't mean for this to be personal. I thought we were having a discussion among adults, not meant to be a personal attack.

Can we at least agree to disagree with the analysis without malice?

I guess not. :(

cluemeister

TUG Member
Reaction score
When someone called me a name when I was a kid, I'd run home and tell my mom, saying that some kid called me a (offensive name here). My mom would say "Well, are you a (offensive name here)?"

I'd look at her astonished and say "NO!" And she'd say, "Then why are you all worked up about it?"

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I deleted this post

Last edited:

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, this thread degenerated pretty fast, once objective opinions that disagreed with the original poster were discussed. Nothing of value will be forthcoming on this thread, so I guess it's time to move on.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perry,

What exactly do you believe has changed about TUG? I see a lot of skeptics coming out and challenging your assertions. Perhaps over the years, people have learned how to see through the smoke and mirrors of people in the timesharing industry who make bold claims that turn out to be false. I see that as a good thing. If a concept is sound, it should pass the test of the well informed skeptics. And, the market and time will prove whether or not the concept was a good one or not.

Personally, I have always liked your posts. You are provocative, a fantastic writer and you make me think. You take me into directions I would probably never consider. The whole DC industry is an example of that. If you didn't post what you do, I probably wouldn't even take a peek at the concept. So, I am better off for it.

That said, I don't agree with a lot of your advice. I always consider it since I respect your knowledge and expertise. However, your philosophies don't always resonate with my own knowledge and expertise. And, I spend time trying to understand why I think we differ. That process leads to greater understanding. I think in everyone else is going through a similar process as they read and post on this thread.

I do think you are overreacting. I don't think you should have been allowed to delete all of your posts. You made this thread less valuable by doing that. If you are going to be provocative, you need to expect push back. If you concept has validity it would stand the test of a few skeptics.

That said, I don't see any scenario that I would make the purchase you did for investment purposes. I don't need or want a penthouse unit in Las Vegas. So, I can only evaluate it as a financial investment. From that point of view, I think the idea is a bad one for me.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
P.S.
To test my underlying suspicions on this subject why don't we pick a Tug member at random and apply the same innuendos and allegations and watch how they react - Heck, I might even kick in some free beer.

Perry, the random TUG member isn't making bold and provocative claims. You weren't being attacked. Your provocative ideas were. Many on this thread do not believe your investment thesis for this timeshare is sound and they are sharing their reasons for believing that.

Docklander

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow....someone turn the heat down

I have to say that this has got to be the most entertaining thread I've read in my short time on TUG so I really hope it stays :) .

IMO calling someone a shill is not particularly nice and I'm not surprised that Perry has taken offence...I probably would as well. However, that aside, I'm having a serious amount of trouble seeing where all the other angst and heartfelt hurt is coming from. My understanding of what has happened is that Perry suggested:
1) PH was soon to be #1 TS in the world
2) Starwood are running the show
3) It's a good idea to buy from the developer at these prices
4) There's serious money to be made on the capital.

Please forgive me if I've misunderstood but assuming the above is correct I haven't seen any argument or evidence on this thread that supports #1 or #2despite suggestions that some may materialise. As a result I cant see how #3 or #4 can possibly be correct either. IMO the biggest mistake Perry made was giving the developers too much time to get info that should be automatically available to anyone considering spending that amount of cash.

I'm not in the bit surprised that most of the TUGgers here don't agree with the opening comments of the thread. Two things would make me run a mile from this proposition (apart from the prices!)

1) An info/proof to substantiate earlier claims has still apparently not materialised. I don't care what the developers' excuses are.
2) We're told that a salesperson who had a serious car accident requiring the need for reconstructive surgery still managed to phone Perry to say that the info would be delayed. Now I don't know about you guys but if I'd been smashed up in an accident, someone who had bought/may buy a timeshare from me would not be high on my list of people to ring. Perry I'm not doubting your word here....just that of the salesman.

Everything about this venture makes me smell a rat and that is why so many people seem to find it hard that Perry is still plugging the idea. Untill we see hard evidence for some of the claims made in favour of PH not many TUGgers are going to buy into the idea. There isn't any need to reduce ourselves to name calling but there is equally little need to circle the waggons whilst crying foul in all directions and threatening to stop participating.

Status
Not open for further replies.