• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Planned Improvements at Smoky Mountain

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just attended an informational update for RCI members at Smoky Mountain. It wasn't part of any sales pitch. We enjoyed pastries, OJ and bagels. Basically it was an opportunity for some of their resort upper management to introduce themselves. There was opportunity to express complaints or concerns and updates on resort improvement.

Of interest is that the resort will be adding a restaurant and bistro by early 2019. Also, there is a planned computer program that would show live availability and coordinate with corporate computers so they can talk to each other.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
We just attended an informational update for RCI members at Smoky Mountain. It wasn't part of any sales pitch. We enjoyed pastries, OJ and bagels. Basically it was an opportunity for some of their resort upper management to introduce themselves. There was opportunity to express complaints or concerns and updates on resort improvement.

Of interest is that the resort will be adding a restaurant and bistro by early 2019. Also, there is a planned computer program that would show live availability and coordinate with corporate computers so they can talk to each other.

Like Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg don't have enough places to eat!

I wonder who is going to do the programming? Wyndham's regular IT guys? What could go wrong?

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at this resort. If they do not build a new building, than it could use a small restaurant if they get rent for the space. As for the availability showing, I hope they use their data base and not the Wyndham one. That way if someone wants to extend their stay they have a better shot at it.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I own at this resort. If they do not build a new building, than it could use a small restaurant if they get rent for the space. As for the availability showing, I hope they use their data base and not the Wyndham one. That way if someone wants to extend their stay they have a better shot at it.

I still don't see a restaurant making sense. Where would you put it? It has to be one side or the other of Collier and no matter which side, you've cut out the other side of the resort. They'd have to drive to the other side and park where? If I have to put a car on the road for dinner, I'm going down the street to the Texas Roadhouse, TGI Friday's, Quaker Steak, or Buffalo Wild Wings, all less than a mile away, or to any of dozens of places within a ten minute drive.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe instead of a restaurant go with something like a subs, pizza, soups etc. that deliver to the rooms.

Or, better yet, if the sales office has not been merged with Wyndham Smokey Lodge where the waterpark is, merge them at their the Lodge's location and use that space.

Last edited:

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Right now, there's no food service that I'm aware of, not even poolside. A little bistro serving pizza, wraps, and burgers would probably do well, IMO. A number of popular Wyndham resorts have a bistro type restaurant poolside. Cold soft drinks and adult beverages would be nice too.

During our last stay there, we were surprised to meet a number of guests who were there with large groups but few cars. They sometimes split from their group by using the trolley to get around or a cheap taxi. The resort's shuttle van was pretty quick and responsive for getting from one side of the resort to the other. So I could see how some of those guests might like the easy onsite access to a bar & grill sometimes.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think a bar and grill would be a great idea. The adult drinks should make the bar and grill very profitable and provide a very useful service.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
How many properties have food/beverage service on-site?

It either is genius or stupidity.

Reminds me of the shoe company that sends two sales representatives to a south american country in the 1930's. First rep sends back a telegraph.... "no potential in this market - these people dont wear shoes. Returning home".

Few minutes later a telegraph from the 2nd rep is received...... "build 10 more factories... these people dont have shoes!"

Lisa P

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points

LOL. Let's see, besides Wyndham properties offering poolside and/or onsite prepared food and beverages, so do many DVCs, Marriotts, HGVCs, Vistana, etc., etc. I'd venture to guess that at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the larger, upscale timeshare resorts in the Orlando area managed by various companies do have them, including Wyndham Bonnet Creek. The largest Marriott resorts in SC and in VA also have them.

Among Wyndhams, I recall seeing at least counter-service food/beverage service onsite at the Great Smokies Lodge in TN, Governors Green/Kingsgate in Williamsburg, SeaWatch/Ocean Blvd in MB/NMB, Flagstaff AZ, Mountains in Lake Lure... I don't think it's that uncommon at a larger resort. :shrug:

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some also have small gift shops that have eggs, milk, etc that could be bought to take to the room.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Quite a few but mostly in resorts where pools stay
LOL. Let's see, besides Wyndham properties offering poolside and/or onsite prepared food and beverages, so do many DVCs, Marriotts, HGVCs, Vistana, etc., etc. I'd venture to guess that at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the larger, upscale timeshare resorts in the Orlando area managed by various companies do have them, including Wyndham Bonnet Creek. The largest Marriott resorts in SC and in VA also have them.

Among Wyndhams, I recall seeing at least counter-service food/beverage service onsite at the Great Smokies Lodge in TN, Governors Green/Kingsgate in Williamsburg, SeaWatch/Ocean Blvd in MB/NMB, Flagstaff AZ, Mountains in Lake Lure... I don't think it's that uncommon at a larger resort. :shrug:

No longer at Governors' Green. They used to have a place but it was taken out years ago and replaced by a room with some computer terminals and a TV. It was in the main activities building where you check-in/-out. The same building has a pool, small fitness center, two pool tables, and a fairly large meeting room. There's also a large parking lot in front. Nothing comparable exists at Smoky Mountains.

Kingsgate used to have a small deli/BBQ kind of place. I think it was gone the last time we stayed there, which was several years back. I think there's a pool bar now but I don't know if there's food service.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville

I've wondered if its 'genius' because food service is more labor intensive and maybe risky. Another thought is that if resort decisions are made by effectively an HOA board, the board focuses primarily on the residential units and not so much on profit centers such as food service.

Bob

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a Owner at the Resort, I hope they do add food and beverage but just rent the space to someone who wants to operate it.

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
Very simple. A poolside bar with snacks and burgers. Very profitable . Can't remember if SM has a pool on each side of street. They should though and put the little cantina in for each one. Operate it seasonally.

northovr

TUG Member
Reaction score
they already free coffee, free donuts in the morning and free Popcorn on the weekends in the room next to check in.

Thanks Daniel

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Resort advises they are not sure time frame on the construction, it is going to be at main building in Greenbriar Room only going to be one not two providers. It will be a Starbucks type facility. Construction has not started yet.

northovr

TUG Member
Reaction score
there goes the free coffee!!!
thanks
Daniel

Lisa P

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Nah, they all still have the free coffee in the check-in lobby, whether there's poolside food/beverages or not. :clap:

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
The Resort advises they are not sure time frame on the construction, it is going to be at main building in Greenbriar Room only going to be one not two providers. It will be a Starbucks type facility. Construction has not started yet.

The resort manager advises that, or the people at the RCI informational update that for the first time ever wasn’t a sales pitch?

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The person I talked to was a Member of Resort Staff, not RCI, not the Resort Manager, and not sales staff.

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
They called it an RCI breakfast update but very little was talked about RCI with the exception of complaints. I think it was a PR effort to connect with owners. They were worried because their scores have dropped lately. There was no sales pitch.

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quite a few but mostly in resorts where pools stay

No longer at Governors' Green. They used to have a place but it was taken out years ago and replaced by a room with some computer terminals and a TV. It was in the main activities building where you check-in/-out. The same building has a pool, small fitness center, two pool tables, and a fairly large meeting room. There's also a large parking lot in front. Nothing comparable exists at Smoky Mountains.

Kingsgate used to have a small deli/BBQ kind of place. I think it was gone the last time we stayed there, which was several years back. I think there's a pool bar now but I don't know if there's food service.

Kingsgate has a pub/restaurant that has a small but decent menu. It is in it's own little building on the other side of the pools from the main building. I think it is called the Kings faire.