• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please help! I want to cancel my Welks Resort "Vacation Ownership"/timeshare

Hneedshelp

Reaction score
I'm sorry - I'm confused - if you are current, why did they send you to collections?

I have no idea! That's what I was thinking as well. I had no notification of my maintenance fee until I received a phone call from the collections agency. I tried contacting Welks but no one would call me back and my one "representative" that I met with told me he reviewed my folder and couldn't find anything regarding that matter. That's why I started feeling like I was misled. The maintenance fee was a different amount then what was VERBALLY told. I know, I should've gotten in writing and I am SOL now. Well I feel like I'm SOL regardless. So I requested a debt validation from the collections agency because I wanted a breakdown in writing.

Hneedshelp

Reaction score
Sounds like she is current on her loan payments but didn't pay her MF.

George

That is my situation right now. Since I didn't get a notification from Welks themselves regarding this, I asked the collections agency to validate it. All I've gotten so far were phone calls from the collections agency about the amount and fees. Nothing in writing.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is my situation right now. Since I didn't get a notification from Welks themselves regarding this, I asked the collections agency to validate it. All I've gotten so far were phone calls from the collections agency about the amount and fees. Nothing in writing.

Sounds like the collection agency is getting a percentage of ANY payment they collect. If they tell you the fees, you will object as to how high their cut is. Call the resort/Welks directly.

Hneedshelp

Reaction score
Sounds like the collection agency is getting a percentage of ANY payment they collect. If they tell you the fees, you will object as to how high their cut is. Call the resort/Welks directly.

I've been trying to discuss this with Welks for a while now. No one calls me back. The one person that did, set up my appointment with my representative on a weekend and guess what, accounting offices are closed on weekends. I drove two hours to their location for no reason.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time understanding that the bundle of papers you signed when you made this purchase didn't have (a) rescission information and how long you had to do it and (b) how much your MF is and where to send it and how often and (c) why it took being turned over to collection before you decided this is something fairly serious that you bought.

We wish you well, and if you want to learn how to use it, this is the place. We all bought timeshares. Many bought them just like you, from the developer, so no pity parties please- you aren't alone in getting took by the big bad salesman. Most simply bought more (resale, of course) to get maximum use from their timeshares and that's how we vacation. Most of us will tell you their timeshare vacations have great value and are in the end worth what they cost.

Go through those papers. There is a wealth of information there. Nobody at Welk knows more than what's in those papers.

We wish you well. Welcome to TUG. You have some studying to do.

Jim

Hneedshelp

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time understanding that the bundle of papers you signed when you made this purchase didn't have (a) rescission information and how long you had to do it and (b) how much your MF is and where to send it and how often and (c) why it took being turned over to collection before you decided this is something fairly serious that you bought.

We wish you well, and if you want to learn how to use it, this is the place. We all bought timeshares. Many bought them just like you, from the developer, so no pity parties please- you aren't alone in getting took by the big bad salesman. Most simply bought more (resale, of course) to get maximum use from their timeshares and that's how we vacation. Most of us will tell you their timeshare vacations have great value and are in the end worth what they cost.

Go through those papers. There is a wealth of information there. Nobody at Welk knows more than what's in those papers.

We wish you well. Welcome to TUG. You have some studying to do.

Jim

Thanks for the welcome! Looks like I'll be here for a while. Yes, it did have the rescission information (but like I said before, I didn't want to cancel it until this whole collection agency situation because I'm upset at their lack of help. I know that's not a valid reason, so no need to reiterate that). No, it did not specify how much the MF was or where to pay it. Said I would be notified. I didn't take this lightly when I bought it. I'm not taking it lightly now. I'm not looking for a pity party, I'm just looking for information. My original post was to ask if anyone knew if there was a way out as is. I don't want reimbursement but I will continue to save my credit. Time to go study! :whoopie:

JennyM78

Reaction score
Same Boat!

My husband and I also made a mistake and signed a contract with Welks. I came across a video series on youtube.com that I'm going try. If it doesn't work, then I'll have to get a lawyer or try to initiate a class action lawsuit against them. If you go to youtube.com, search How to Dispute Your Timeshare. It's a 3 part video series. I found it helpful and I will try this method, but don't know if it will work with Welks. If you have an update on your situation, please let us know.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I came across a video series on youtube.com that I'm going try. If it doesn't work, then I'll have to get a lawyer or try to initiate a class action lawsuit against them.

Just don't throw good money after bad. Some of these law firms charge upfront fees and accomplish nothing. They know that you are angry and are seeking retribution of some sort so they prey on your emotions promising you that they can hit these timeshare resorts and companies hard and where it hurts.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Large law firms make money suing big corporations that have harmed large numbers of people by illegal acts. The actual people who were harmed get the smallest piece of the pie of damages received from the suit.

The idea of suing a timeshare developer won't gain traction because (1) there isn't much money there. (1a) Not a lot of people feel harmed. (2) buyers had the opportunity to do due diligence and from 3-to 14 days to think it over, get cold feet and rescind for any- or no- reason. (3) Timeshare developers have had decades to refine their sales tactics to make them seem legitimate to buyers, obfuscate the true facts, and make the contracts people are led through absolutely legally bulletproof.

Bottom line: If you are within the legally allowed rescission period, rescind. If that period has passed, and you have no desire to wreck your credit rating or bankrupt out of it, study how to use your timeshare and get the most out of it. The reasons you bought it haven't changed since you found out about resale values. Only the price you paid.

Welcome to TUG, the best place to find out everything timeshare. Many here bought from the developers and are happy with their timeshares. Some even bought more developer weeks.

All the best. It isn't worth losing sleep over.

Jim Ricks

Dcampos

Reaction score
My husband and I also made a mistake and signed a contract with Welks. I came across a video series on youtube.com that I'm going try. If it doesn't work, then I'll have to get a lawyer or try to initiate a class action lawsuit against them. If you go to youtube.com, search How to Dispute Your Timeshare. It's a 3 part video series. I found it helpful and I will try this method, but don't know if it will work with Welks. If you have an update on your situation, please let us know.
I'm currently going through the same thing, we signed up as "audition" members. theThey promise you the world but when you book a night the customer service is horrible along with check in times. The salesman lie to you and tell you different than what's in the contract. I would just like a refund, but I signed a contract they said no! I wonder if anyone has sued and won?

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm currently going through the same thing, we signed up as "audition" members. theThey promise you the world but when you book a night the customer service is horrible along with check in times. The salesman lie to you and tell you different than what's in the contract. I would just like a refund, but I signed a contract they said no! I wonder if anyone has sued and won?

So seldom happens as to be a waste of time and more importantly money - far more than simply paying to remain an owner or taking a loss on a sale. They depend on that as part of their plan.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

Timeshare sales people will say whatever it takes to make the sale...true or not. Buyers Remorse is very common after buying a timeshare, and that's why the developer hires a lot of smart lawyer types to write up contracts that make it extremely difficult to get out, after the rescission period is over. One of the thing the contract says is that the verbal promises that the sales person made are NOT binding, and only the written contract is binding. Which means, that you don't have a leg to stand on, and if you sue, you are likely to spend a lot of money....to lose.

You have my sympathy - but you are likely to throw away a lot of money to pursue this, so you may want to consider how to get the most out of what you bought, instead.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
What is an "audition" member contract? Is is simply a "one time use" trial period?

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay your representative is a sales rep who is on commission. Now that he has sold you, he is less interested, especially if you want to get out which could potentially impact his commission.

The MF is via the management company of the resort. Usually of you call the resort main line and ask for owner services, you will get connected or given a number.

MF is yearly in most cases so it probably came due without you being aware of it. Not sure if you should have received a mail or an email on the amount of the MF.

Good luck but others have summarized it well. If you don't care as much about your credit rating and really want to get out and willing to walk away from what you paid so far, ask the resort for deedback in lieu of foreclosure.
Otherwise learn to use what you bought.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own Welk and have found that calling the main Welk number for the resort in Escondido and then getting to owner's service is usually the best way to get help. Not that they will help you rescind, but they may be able to find out why you didn't get a bill for your yearly MF's and how you can get that straightened out. You should have gotten something in the mail. Are you sure they have your correct mailing address? They may be willing and able to get you out of collection if you pay the MF's that are due right away.

We bought resale, but then paid retail to switch to Welk points and buy enough points to make 300 points. It was probably way to expensive and we weren't able to consider rescinding because our dog got sick and died that week, so nothing else mattered.

That said, Welk resorts are beautiful and well maintained and you can get good trades, especially through SFX.

Liz

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once you pass the rescission period you will not be able to get out unless you let them foreclose on you or you sell it or give away your week (assuming the loan is 100% fully paid off).

So, presuming you are stuck with it then make the best of it; use it and enjoy it, use it to trade for another timeshare elsewhere, or reserve a juicy week and rent it out to cover your costs (and maybe make a little profit).

Wishing you the best of luck.....

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
Once you pass the rescission period you will not be able to get out unless you let them foreclose on you or you sell it or give away your week (assuming the loan is 100% fully paid off).

So, presuming you are stuck with it then make the best of it; use it and enjoy it, use it to trade for another timeshare elsewhere, or reserve a juicy week and rent it out to cover your costs (and maybe make a little profit).

Wishing you the best of luck.....

Diana, this discussion is from 2012-2013....fyi