• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please share your favorite restaurants, bars, and activities on Kauai!

Dawnwrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN, WSJ-CV
We switched our WSJ plans to Kauai and will be at WPORV for 5 nights and at the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club in Poipu for a week starting Saturday this week. We have been to Maui many times, but never Kauai. We would love to get your input for your favorites while we are there! (Would also like info on what, if anything, to avoid.) The only thing planned is a helicopter tour the first morning we are there. Just DH and I. Thank you!

WatsonC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert
We switched our WSJ plans to Kauai and will be at WPORV for 5 nights and at the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club in Poipu for a week starting Saturday this week. We have been to Maui many times, but never Kauai. We would love to get your input for your favorites while we are there! (Would also like info on what, if anything, to avoid.) The only thing planned is a helicopter tour the first morning we are there. Just DH and I. Thank you!
We did the irrigation flume with the tubes and miner lights. I don't recall the name but you float from way up in the hills down flumes and through caves carved to run mountain water to the plantations. The tour is not for those who don't like small spaces but very unique and fun. Snorkelling at Poipu was pretty great too, although very crowded.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Avoid Kapaa during rush hour.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
If your going to tube the ditch, you should check online and book it now. That usually fills up early. Last time we waited and we're there for two weeks and they were booked solid.
Go to Lava Lava just south of the Coconut Marketplace. Toes in the sand dining with a good Happy Hour. I also like the Kauai Beer Company. Great lunch and the Lihue Lager is a nice lite easy drinking beer. We always get about six growlers filled while we're there.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
While at the WPORV, take the shuttle over to the St Regis - tour the beautiful hotel, the beach, and order the special bloody Mary at the bar.
IMG_0712.JPG

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Here's a few ideas to try:

Definitely book a Napali Coast dinner cruise with Captain Andy's. Incredible scenery you can only see from the water. Good food, free drinks, and a great way to spend a sunny afternoon. Watching the sun set over Niihau is something few people ever get a chance to see. Book the Southern Star or Northern Star boats. They're bigger, and more comfortable than the others they operate. www.napali.com.

Breakfast at the Kountry Kitchen in Kapa'a. http://www.kountrystylekitchen.com

Lunch at Olympic Cafe in Kapa'a. https://www.zagat.com/r/olympic-cafe-kapaa (They have a location in Poipu, but it's a very different atmosphere. Kapa'a location is better.)

Afternoon cocktails, lunch or dinner at Brennecke's at Poipu Beach. https://www.brenneckes.com

Kalypso in Hanalei has excellent fish & chips, and frosty-cold beer. http://www.kalypsokauai.com/home.html

While there, make a trip out to the Hanalei Pier. http://www.kauai.com/hanalei-bay

If you like a traditional luau experience, the Smith Family operates one of the best on Kauai. Good luau food, great after dinner show. https://www.smithskauai.com/garden-luau/

The Kauai Museum on Rice Street in Lihue offers a great experience learning about the history of Kauai, and how it came to be the fascinating place it is. Well worth a few hours of your time. http://www.kauaimuseum.org

The Koloa Rum Company, located at Kilohana, has a great experience with their many varieties of island-made rum. Free samples. ;) https://koloarum.com/?age-verified=15610d59ac

And Kilohana itself is a very interesting place. http://www.kilohanakauai.com

The Kilauea Lighthouse offers great views of the coastal area, and over the bird sanctuary next to it. Great historical experience. http://www.kauai.com/kilauea-lighthouse

Enjoy a sunset dinner at The Beach House restaurant in Poipu. http://www.the-beach-house.com

Have fun. Kauai is a lovely place to visit.

Dave

cowboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second the captain Andys dinner cruise and the Beach House Resturant. I also like Dukes on Kalapaki Beach as well as their sister resturant in Poipu. Not to many good resturants on the north side, Bar A Cuda in Hanalei is the best one there in my opinion.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
The Koloa Rum is cheaper at Costco than at the Distillery. Our favorite drink is POG (also available at Costco) and Koloa Dark Rum. We also did and liked the Sugar Cane Canal Float and Koloa Zip line. Don't miss Waimea Canyon. Drive to top and hike around and have a picnic lunch. Stop at the viewpoints on the way down. Kayaking to the Fern Grotto and Secret Falls on Wailua River. Kauai Coffee Company. Akaka Swamp Trial. Hanakapiai Falls on Kalalau Trial - 2 miles on Kalalau Trail and then 2 miles up to Falls. Ke'e Beach. Queens Bath. Hideaways Beach. For casual dining - Fish Taco Truck at Hanalei Beach Pier, Chili pepper chicken at Chevron Gas Station in Princeville, Loco Moco at Snack Shack at Sueoka's Market in Koloa. Laua at either Smith Family or Kilohana Planation (same location as Rum Distillery).

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Ha Ha. That should take about a month.

The Helicopter tour in Kauai is one of those things that you need to do once (or once a year for my wife!). There are so many places, so many views and so much beauty that simply cannot be seen from any other vantage point. It is truly breathtaking.
For those that can't or won't take the Heli flight, the Napali views from Capt Andy's boats are also fantastic. The big boats (S/N Star) are really special and make for a wonderful dinner cruise. That being said, there is no guarantee of going up the Napali coast in the Winter....the alternative cruise is said to be nice as well.
Strong seconds on the Kauai Brewery, Brennekes, Lava Lava, Koloa Rum, Kountry Kitchen
Koloa Fishmarket (tiny take-out shack in Koloa Town) has amazing lunch plates. Tuna with wasabi cream and pork lau lau or fresh poke... it's all good.

The best veggies are at the farmers/public markets. Go early--they sell out and get picked over.
The best groceries are at Costco/Safeway (tie) and the smaller markets. Really, the Koloa Market has great produce, fish, meat. Good prices. American bread is expensive, so if you need American "Wonder" bread, then buy at Costco or Safeway. Otherwise, eat local.

We'll be there in Jan. One of our favorite islands.

We also did the kayak tour last year on the river....it's fun and a bit of exercise.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
If your going to tube the ditch, you should check online and book it now. That usually fills up early. Last time we waited and we're there for two weeks and they were booked solid.
Go to Lava Lava just south of the Coconut Marketplace. Toes in the sand dining with a good Happy Hour. I also like the Kauai Beer Company. Great lunch and the Lihue Lager is a nice lite easy drinking beer. We always get about six growlers filled while we're there.
Ok, I gotta ask....
Where do you get the growlers/what do you do with them when you're done?
They don't rent them do they? IF so, I'm changing my buying habits.

Also, the PIneapple Margs at the Costco (pre-mix). They are dangerous.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Once you done the Kayak tour up the Wailua River the next time head up the Road to Opaekaa Falls. Just past the Falls is a dirt road down to a "Hawaiian Village" where you can rent Kayaks for the day and do your own cruise. Also the tour usually insists on putting couples in a double Kayak, which we call the divorce boat. At the Village you can each get a single Kayak. We went all the way up the river to the rapids where you had to stop kayaking.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Ok, I gotta ask....
Where do you get the growlers/what do you do with them when you're done?
They don't rent them do they? IF so, I'm changing my buying habits.

Also, the PIneapple Margs at the Costco (pre-mix). They are dangerous.

There's a guy on the island that let's you go to Walmart and buy a large tote on wheels. You fill it up with whatever you want and he stores it on the island for you. I always email him before I leave for Kauai and we set a day, time and place so I can pickup the tote. We love this. It saves packing and hauling the same items back and forth. My wife loves it because she stores things in there that makes our unit more like home. Night lights, pictures, some clothes, snorkel gear, Ziploc bags, toiletries and growlers. :D

Picking up the tote is usually the first thing we do on our first full day there.
2015-05-09_091647000_78528_iOS.jpg

903740946385176.jpg

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
There's a guy on the island that let's you go to Walmart and buy a large tote on wheels. You fill it up with whatever you want and he stores it on the island for you. I always email him before I leave for Kauai and we set a day, time and place so I can pickup the tote. We love this. It saves packing and hauling the same items back and forth. My wife loves it because she stores things in there that makes our unit more like home. Night lights, pictures, some clothes, snorkel gear, Ziploc bags, toiletries and growlers. :D

Picking up the tote is usually the first thing we do on our first full day there.
View attachment 4988

View attachment 4989
Clearly I have much to learn from the master. Thank you.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

cowboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you give the name and contact info of the person who stores items and what does he charge?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Clearly I have much to learn from the master. Thank you.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Been doing it for years now. It's nice not lugging all that stuff that makes our stays more enjoyable through the airport every time.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
About the Napali Cruise - if they say the weather is bad and offer you:
1. You can rebook.
2. You can get or money back.
3. You can do the alternative cruise.

You should rebook or get your money back. The alternative cruise is north up to the Lihue Airport and back. Actually pretty boring.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
My family has stayed at Waiohai for the past five years.

We've done snorkel cruises on most of the islands, but Captain Andy's was the only one that gave us motion sickness (about 50% of the attendees got it also). They passed out "aloha buckets" at the start. Be forewarned...

For Helicopters, I'd recommend Safari. Great price. We've done it twice.
Tubing is a must-do, but it sells out a week in advance. Call ahead for your reservation; you can cancel up to 48 hours ahead.
Check out Spouting Horn (10 min drive)
Kauai ATV is nearby and if you get a rainy morning, you get a great mud run. It sells out quickly.
At the Shops at Kukuiula you can sign up for zipline. Leaves right from there. Very convenient. Not the best zipline I've done (that was on other side of the island), but it's good.

My favorite fish tacos are at Merriman's (downstairs), which is a 2 minute drive. Go during happy hour and save a few bucks.
Next to Merriman's is The Eating House 1849, owned by Roy Yamaguchi. Not as good as Roy's in my opinion, but still good food.
Also in that mall is Bubba's Burgers and Uncle's Shave Ice. Uncle's has the best shave ice near Waiohai.
Or if you want some incredible ice cream go to Lappert's in the same mall.
If you are staying in Waiohai the right time of the month, there is a Farmer's Market in this mall. Definitely go if it's there. What you want to get is the sugarloaf pineapple (white pineapple). It is incredibly sweet and even the core is tender enough to eat. You can also find it at the Living Foods market, near Merriman's. Be prepared to pay dearly for anything at Living Foods..
Get great poke at Koloa Fish Market, in old Koloa Town (7 minute drive). It's fresh - not previously frozen like the markets sell.
You can also get good pizza in Koloa Town at Pizzetta.
There is a little market right off the roundabout (Kukuiula Market) that sells the BEST burger meat. Bring it back for great burgers.
In that same market is a very good sushi bar (Makai Sushi). Small menu. Get a Gorilla Bowl and go to heaven.
Next to the little market is a tiny Mexican food place called Da Crack. Always a very long line.
The Beach House is the place to go for a good upscale meal with a view. (5 min drive)
You also have to get the obligatory Puka Dog in the Poipu shopping village (nearly across the street from Waiohai).
For a quick and good sandwich, stop by Brennecke's. They have a quick service next to the restaurant. Good prices.

When stocking up for the week, hard to beat Walmart (20 min drive, in Lihue). Costco is also out in Lihue.
Big Save is nearby in Koloa Town. The prices are higher than Walmart, but it's close.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Last year when we were at the Wal-Mart in Lihue there were 3 choices for packing your items:
1. Purchase bags from Wal-Mart and they were not cheap.
2. You brought your own re-useable bags from the Mainland.
3. You load all your items loose in the shopping basket and packed them loose in your car.

Oooops forgot - we enjoyed the Koloa Zipline.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Olympic Cafe in Kapaa is a wonderful place recommended by Denise M. We go there at least twice per trip. We also like Keoki's Paradise near the Marriott's Waiohai. We like the Beach House in Lihue. We like Bouchon's in Hanalei for fish and chips, but our friends loved the sushi there.

We like Kalipaki Beach Hut near the Marriott in Lihue. It's on Rice St.

We also like Kauai Pasta in Kapaa and Shrimp Station, close to Kauai Pasta. We also ate at the steak house on the way down from Waimea Canyon. I cannot remember the name of that place. We have eaten there at least three times, and I have no idea what it's called. Loved the steak dinner each time. Rick and his stepmom absolutely love Bubba's Burgers. We go there twice each trip.

We stay in Princeville mostly, and so most of those restaurants are a bit of a drive. I still love the drive from Princeville to the south side of the island. It doesn't bother me to get in the car and drive that beautiful highway. Rick's stepmom loves to watch surfing blond guys, so we sit quite a bit and watch the surfers. She is 89 and has a major thing for the Vince Van Patten-looking surfer dudes. :)

Traffic is pretty minor issue for me. Traffic in Denver is a nightmare. It's enough to give anyone pause to drive 30 miles from home.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree about the driving. I hate driving at home and would rarely drive an hour to go anywhere but in Kauai I drive all the time and I never tire of driving around the island.

Brianfox

I love the Sugarloaf pineapples. They are expensive but we always buy a few while we're there. And yes, you can eat the core. The best pineapple anywhere!!

Everyone is bringing back a lot of good memories in this thread. May can't come fast enough.

Dawnwrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN, WSJ-CV
Thanks so much for all the great responses! Can’t wait to get there tomorrow!

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Monico's in Kapaa is great Mexican food and there is also a nice little bakery behind there. Verde now has 2 locations.. also good Mexican.
We did the Grove farm tour last year and it was very interesting for the history.
We also always stop at the Koa wood store..they have some beautiful pieces that make nice souvenirs