• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Poll on Foxrun Townhouses, Lake Lure, NC, near Asheville. Please vote for one.

Have you ever stayed at Foxrun in North Carolina? Vote for one.

• Yes, and I loved it

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • No, but I want to go sometime

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Yes, I stayed and thought it was okay

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • No, I would never go to Foxrun in Lake Lure, NC because it's not a place that interests me.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • I own there and have never been, but I have enjoyed the trading power with II

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have to assume that most TUG members have not been there. It's a quaint area, and I am sure it's beautiful. It's in the mountains, and there is a lake and the units are all large, all 2 bedrooms.

We planned on going one day, but we live in Colorado and so rarely go back east, although we have been to the northeast once and Hilton head once and Williamsburg once. I put our weeks into PIC with Wyndham.

I would like everyone to vote, everyone that reads this post. Please vote.

There is a sunset clause at Foxrun, and it seems we are all going to have to vote whether to keep it as a timeshare or let it go to tenants in common.

vmpt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coronado Beach Resort, Fox Run, Coral Reef Beach Resort, Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines, Marriott Barony Beach, Sand Pebbles Resort, Westin Lagunamar
I went a several years back and immediately acquired a fixed week in the unit we preferred. I love the area and the lake. My family looks forward to our week there every August. I would pay more in fees to get some interior upgrades, but many others prefer lower mf.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I went a several years back and immediately acquired a fixed week in the unit we preferred. I love the area and the lake. My family looks forward to our week there every August. I would pay more in fees to get some interior upgrades, but many others prefer lower mf.
Thank you for your input. Sounds like you really enjoy it. Did you get your ballot in the mail to vote for VRI to continue management? Some people did not receive the ballot. It's important that you vote to keep it a timeshare, same as it is now.

vmpt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coronado Beach Resort, Fox Run, Coral Reef Beach Resort, Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines, Marriott Barony Beach, Sand Pebbles Resort, Westin Lagunamar
Thank you for your input. Sounds like you really enjoy it. Did you get your ballot in the mail to vote for VRI to continue management? Some people did not receive the ballot. It's important that you vote to keep it a timeshare, same as it is now.
I did send in my ballot. Thank you

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My mother was from the Asheville,N.C. area and I have visited the beautiful Lake Lure, N.C. area.

I do not own at this resort, but I would vote to maintain this resort as a timeshare resort.

The area is beautiful and the people are laid back IMHO.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
If I could vote "Downsize it to fit the present demand" I would have, but I don't have a dog in this fight.

But, then, I do have other dogs in other fights, clunky, really-old resorts, that have seen better days, so I believe that sooner or later all of them will have to face reality.

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
Went there years ago with a friend that owned. Around six or seven years ago we bought a unit (same unit our friend owns) off Ebay. We have gone every year but one and that year we traded using VRIety. Love the resort. Beautiful lake and mountains. Near Chimney Rock and Asheville. And only two hours away from home.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I remember this stay but is this the same as Rumbling Bald Resort?

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
I remember this stay but is this the same as Rumbling Bald Resort?
Yes. FoxRun is one of many properties in the resort. There are also some units that are individually owned.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We took our then teenaged daughter and her best friend there about 15 yrs ago. We liked the resort and the whole surrounding area. The girls were very excited to see where the exterior shots of Dirty Dancing were filmed which was nearby. DD has a photo of herself on the stairs in her travel memories album. We would not hesitate to return there sometime.

~Diane

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We are owners and bought for trading. We do less timesharing now and need to divest of this unit soon.

About three years we visited the resort. Our specific unit was very tired and run down. I would have been embarrassed to bring guests with us. I think the area is lovely if not a bit remote. It would be a good family vacation with young children. The lake, lazy river pool, mini golf, etc. could provide much entertainment. It was a tortuous drive to Asheville so despite the close proximity it is not a good home base for visiting the city.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did vote for the middle option, but almost didn't because it was just barely OK. This was back in the heyday of many TUGgers' enthrallment with the place, and I was extremely disappointed because our assigned unit was very mildewy and stinky. They couldn't move us, so they put one of those air-cleaning thingies in for a day, during which we were supposed to stay away and leave all the doors closed. After that, we stayed in the upstairs part and had to keep the door to the downstairs master bedroom shut. We drove over to Biltmore 2x, location wasn't that convenient; our best drives were going up farther north, just prettier. So we wouldn't go back.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The hotel timeshares have accentuated the issues with older resorts. Where we own in Frisco, Co, lots of hotel-run timeshares are in sales today. Our little timeshare looks very shabby in comparison, and our fees are not that much less for ski weeks than a Hilton or other brand name. It's not easy to compete against the quality.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I have been to Asheville once, but it was after a tropical storm had knocked out the water system. I would like to go there again.

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
Okay, just because I saw the post. Voted No, but I want to go. More accurately, "No, but it sounds like somewhere we might go" once we retire.

We Timeshare mostly to get away in dead of winter, and Asheville isn't quite far enough south for us. BUT retirement looms in a few years and we expect to travel more in the shoulder season, which is when this might be a good option. Unfortunately, I don't think there enough people like us to keep the resorts in less traveled areas going year round.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If people would take the unsold weeks, that would be great for Foxrun. If you could see yourself buying some spring or fall weeks, you could stay without exchange fees. The MF's are about $740, I think. That is a low MF. People are reporting good trades with the weeks, too, so if you wanted to go elsewhere, you would have a good trader with low fees.

PClapham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
We have gotten very good exchanges for our unit.

Anita

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
When we lived near Greenville, SC, Lake Lure was a short drive for experiencing another world. There's not much to do there so it's a place to just kickback and relax. The area is beautiful and lies in a thermal belt so the climate is pretty good. Never been able to trade into Foxrun in the Summer. Rather than its location, I would prefer to rent a place right on the lake with a boat house that has a rooftop deck to jump off of into the lake. That's quintessential Lake Lure Summer living.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
We stayed at Fox Run once, I think. We had a Wyndham reservation and they put us in a DRI facility up the hill from the main road. If that was it, it was okay, no more. I like the Wyndham place much more.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We have gotten very good exchanges for our unit.

Anita

Anita, do you trade with II or RCI? We used to get good trades with II but not so much any more. Maybe we should switch.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I have to assume that most TUG members have not been there. It's a quaint area, and I am sure it's beautiful. It's in the mountains, and there is a lake and the units are all large, all 2 bedrooms.

We planned on going one day, but we live in Colorado and so rarely go back east, although we have been to the northeast once and Hilton head once and Williamsburg once. I put our weeks into PIC with Wyndham.

I would like everyone to vote, everyone that reads this post. Please vote.

There is a sunset clause at Foxrun, and it seems we are all going to have to vote whether to keep it as a timeshare or let it go to tenants in common.
OK, so you are asking me to vote ... but I don't see an option that fits my position. My vote: "Never been. Considered it once or twice as a trader but didn't purchase."

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have a friend who is reporting a lack of good exchanges with her week 5, but people with spring, summer and fall weeks still have good trading power. RCI doesn't give much in the way of trading power for Foxrun. If you get 20, you are doing good. So I wouldn't switch. II is still your best bet.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK, so you are asking me to vote ... but I don't see an option that fits my position. My vote: "Never been. Considered it once or twice as a trader but didn't purchase."
One TUG member said that I was making a comment that was entirely incorrect, when I said that most TUG members would not go to Foxrun and have probably never been, so you are making my point.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
One TUG member said that I was making a comment that was entirely incorrect, when I said that most TUG members would not go to Foxrun and have probably never been, so you are making my point.
So you are suggesting my vote is closest to the choice: "No, I would never go to Foxrun in Lake Lure, NC because it's not a place that interests me." ??

The poll's use of the word "never" was a bit too strong for me. I'm SoCal, so I'm not likely to cross paths with rural recreational areas along the eastern states unless for a very specific attraction. Fox Run, to me, falls somewhere in neutral territory. I'm not going out of my way to avoid it but it isn't high on my destination list. I might book a stay if I were in the area and the price (exchange/rental fees) seemed right. FWIW, where I live now sounds pretty similar minus the lake: rustic, treacherous roads, long drive to anywhere ... etc.

Edited to add: Reading posts above regarding MF doesn't meet my framework of "attractive." For me to book Fox Run as an exchange, I'd be expecting ballpark 10 TPU or rental week of <$349. Anything higher would have me looking for other alternatives.

Last edited: