• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Portland WM

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I hear it's in a good location, but there is no parking. Is that right?

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I did not see what size of room you get.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The location is kind of good but there are many homeless and wackados on the water front at times. It isn't unusual to find dead bodies around the bridge areas. Many overdoses and suicides. They do a good job of keeping Waterfront Park clean from what I hear.

I don't know what the parking situation is. I wonder if it is like Seattle ?

Bill

Kolynna

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vida Vacations since 2018, Worldmark By Wyndham since 2000
I live across the river from the Portland Resort. From what I can tell it is just like the Seattle Camlin as far as homeless wackados, and downtown vibe. The exterior in Portland is historic but the interior is not supposed to be. The location is great for downtown area, lots to do and lots to see.

Tahiya

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wanted to see the cherry tree blossoms along the riverfront, so stopped by the Portland Worldmark while I was in the area just now. There was a lot going on, with musicians on the sidewalk, valet parkers, and lots of staff at the front desk. Turns out today is the first day the new resort is open. They weren't showing any units, but the guest services manager from the Camlin showed me around a little. (Nice guy!). I saw the mainly the lobby, shared kitchen area, elevator, and interior courtyard. It all looked attractive, and the courtyard had a couple of grills, as well as comfortable looking seating. Seems like a nice gathering spot if you had several units and wanted to hang out together. There is no swimming pool or hot tub. The Camlin staffer said the Portland units are a little larger than those at the Camlin because the Portland building was built for timeshares and the Camlin wasn't. I agree with the previous posters about the pros and cons of the location. Mostly though, I think this is a nice addition to the Worldmark portfolio.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
There is no onsite parking. There is a nearby pay valet lot. The resort page recommends using mass transit. No ovens until you get to 1 bedroom Presidential and above. Only 2 burner stove top below that level. I do not understand the lack of ovens. This was a design up resort not a hotel conversion. Also the Point Cost is ridiculously high.

There is no low season. Only High and Medium. Listing just high season for a week.
Studio 10,000.
Studio Penthouse 12,000.
1 Bedroom 13,000.
1 Bedroom Penthouse 15,000.
1 Bedroom Presidential 24,000.
2 Bedroom Presidential 28,000.

The average size account for a WMTC Owner is between 13,000 and 14,000. This means a lot of Owners have less than 13,000.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
There is no onsite parking. There is a nearby pay valet lot. The resort page recommends using mass transit. No ovens until you get to 1 bedroom Presidential and above. Only 2 burner stove top below that level. I do not understand the lack of ovens. This was a design up resort not a hotel conversion. Also the Point Cost is ridiculously high.

There is no low season. Only High and Medium. Listing just high season for a week.
Studio 10,000.
Studio Penthouse 12,000.
1 Bedroom 13,000.

The average size account for a WMTC Owner is between 13,000 and 14,000. This means a lot of Owners have less than 13,000.

Wow. Those numbers are absurd! I can't see staying there for those numbers.

Dave

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Credits required for 1BR at other urban resorts:

1BR Compact Vancouver (purchased floors in an existing condo building 2000) = 8500
1BR Seattle Camlin (refurb 2004) = 11500
1BR San Francisco (refurb 2004) = 11500
1BR Hotel San Diego Balboa Park (2006) = 13500
1BR San Diego Inn At the Park (conversion 2013) = 13000
1BR Austin (new build 2018) = 13000
1BR Portland (new build 2019) = 13000

Note: Technically Austin was a purchased building. It was already under construction when Wyndham stepped in and purchased the entire property.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Other than Vancouver we will not be staying at any of these places. Oh I forgot also Portland has NO pool or hot tub. There go those evenings having a drink, sitting in the hot tub relaxing, and talking to other owners.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score

Studio 10,000.
Studio Penthouse 12,000.
1 Bedroom 13,000.

Wow. Those numbers are absurd! I can't see staying there for those numbers.

Dave

The average WorldMark ownership is approaching 17,000 credits.

The one- and two-bedroom Portland units are mostly booked for the rest of the year. Maybe it is the newness of the resort, but there are many owners who must think the credit cost is reasonable. The availability is in the lower cost Studio units.

Friday and Saturday nights are twice the credit cost of Monday through Thursday nights. When the units are not completely booked, the expensive Friday and Saturday nights book first.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd go for the $299 for 3 nights in downtown Portland, like the OP was offered. The point price is pretty dear, though.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd go for the $299 for 3 nights in downtown Portland, like the OP was offered. The point price is pretty dear, though.
It is only $249 for 3 nights (in the link, did this change?), but …

Terms and Conditions
Eligibility: You and your partner if married or cohabitating, must attend a 120-minute WorldMark by Wyndham timeshare sales presentation.

A WorldMark owner can stay Monday-Thursday nights in a Portland Studio, Studio Penthouse, or one-bedroom unit using Bonus Time for about the same cost per night.

If Wyndham runs a similar special offer when the Moab resort comes online next year, I think I will book a 3-4 night mini-vacation in Moab on Bonus Time, if possible, or credits and skip the sales presentation.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
FWIW It isn't cheap to build a brand new building in a major city. And....it doesn't get paid for by resales, As such, my feeling is if people don't think the new resort is worth the credits there is a simple response - don't stay there.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I wonder if this higher credit requirement is a trend that WM is going to use with all new resorts? They did it with Estancia and Austin, and now Portland. "Yes, WM Owner, you need to buy more credits. You don't own enough!" Seems kind of underhanded, regardless of the cost to build the new facility. I can only guess at what they'll require to stay at Moab.

Dave

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW It isn't cheap to build a brand new building in a major city. And....it doesn't get paid for by resales, As such, my feeling is if people don't think the new resort is worth the credits there is a simple response - don't stay there.
So true. There is a lot more availability this fall on the Oregon coast at lower costs compared to the Portland resort.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this higher credit requirement is a trend that WM is going to use with all new resorts? They did it with Estancia and Austin, and now Portland. "Yes, WM Owner, you need to buy more credits. You don't own enough!" Seems kind of underhanded, regardless of the cost to build the new facility. I can only guess at what they'll require to stay at Moab.

Dave
I hope the Moab credits are high enough to discourage megarenting and avoid the problems that WM owners face booking into resorts like West Yellowstone during the summer.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts

Dave
The short answer is yes - to the extent that the total project cost is now and will forever be the primary factor in credit allocation. And given that construction costs increase over time - credit values will increase over time.

The settlement in the Wixon lawsuit expressly granted Wyndham that right. And we see it in action - for instance when they can pick something up on the cheap - like foreclosed intervals at the Wyndham resort in the Poconos or Havasu Dunes - those come in at classic credit values. New builds.. much higher.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
And Wyndham can't get loans to build new resorts if people are not buying Developer Credits/Points. We need to encourage people to buy from the Developer.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And Wyndham can't get loans to build new resorts if people are not buying Developer Credits/Points. We need to encourage people to buy from the Developer.

You might want to check your calendar..... cause it is a bit late for April Fool's pranks.... :D

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
You might want to check your calendar..... cause it is a bit late for April Fool's pranks.... :D

But I was not joking. I find it interesting when folks talk about wanting more and nicer resorts. But then some of these same people tell folks to rescind, never buy from a Developer, buy only resell. So as long as everybody is happy and satisfied with the Resorts they have in their system - then yes one should only buy resell. But the Big Developers can not survive being only resort managers.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry.... that is a bridge too far for me. Letting someone make a "likely" poor financial decision without knowing all the facts - just because I benefit from their ignorance is not something I would do.

I actually am shocked to hear that you are not joking.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
"We" TUG members know better. There will always be buyers at Developer prices in any timeshare. That is the job of the sales department.

Fortunately for us (TUG informed and other) WorldMark resale buyers, we can reserve all the new WorldMark resorts using our resale credits. And any WorldMark owner who objects to the cost of new resorts can still reserve any of the resorts available to them when they bought into WorldMark for the credit cost of when they bought into WorldMark. Nothing underhanded about that.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
And any WorldMark owner who objects to the cost of new resorts can still reserve any of the resorts available to them when they bought into WorldMark for the credit cost of when they bought into WorldMark. Nothing underhanded about that.

What determines the credit values attached to any resort? Once they're set, do they ever change? As regards WM Portland, are there Wyndham units there, too? Are the points required for a Wyndham owner to stay there also higher than Wyndham resorts elsewhere?

Dave

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
There are Wyndham units at Portland as well. The cost to stay there is higher than most older ones, as has been the trend with the other newer resorts they have opened.