• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Potential timeshare owner - check my logic?

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I'm on the verge of buying my first timeshare. I've sat through several sales pitches, and can certainly see the value for people like us (we travel pretty much as often as we can get away with) but we can't justify retail price for extra perks that retail owners get. Resale it is - we're starting small with an inexpensive biennial points contract at a resort that we've actually stayed in as a hotel several times before. If you count our RCI membership in the cost, we're overpaying MF:points, but we aren't paying for the timeshare itself and I'm content with the annual fee - because it turns out that the actual points program suits us, we'll buy more and radically reduce our cost per point.

Anyway, this might not be the best place for this, but I still need a bit of validation and hoped you all might oblige - this isn't a totally crazy proposal, right? Our situation is:

We travel a lot. At least monthly we stay somewhere in Florida - we particularly enjoy Daytona Beach - and we try to fly somewhere at least once a month as well. Our normal trip is three nights. I'm good at the points game with hotel chains, so we average <$100 hotel rooms pretty much everywhere we go, anytime we try, but they're... well, we don't get to be choosy with where they are and we've honest-to-god been woken up by a lady of the night trying to find her john. Anyway, now I'm older and getting tired of that. As timeshares have moved to points systems, and then to nightly options, it has seemed more and more optimal for our schedule.

Basically, I want to make sure that my assumptions are correct re: RCI and their system, and also ask a few questions about the details.

First: If I have points, weeknights are 12% of the weekly rate, and weekend nights are 20% of the weekly rate. So a resort listed for 17,000 points would be a little over 6,000 points, plus a $99 exchange fee. There may/should also be a housekeeping fee - unfortunately I have no idea how to estimate this. Regardless, against our $100 a night budget and assuming I'm stuck with this 2c per point ratio, I'm looking at breaking even as long as the housekeeping fee is <$80. Is this usually the case?

Second: The Last Calls and Extra Vacations are very appealing - but we can't usually make a whole week work. Can we check in late? By late, I mean like Wednesday for a Saturday checkout. If not, it leads me to wonder if we can have a friend come 'take over' our reservation halfway through without needing to purchase a guest certificate. Either way, the sales available to RCI member interest me a lot - are they really 'out the door' costs? No additional exchange or housekeeping fees for most resorts?

Sadly, I still have more questions, I just realized this is already too long and noone will bother to read to the questions phase =p Still, good to type it all out - it's not exactly a small simple purchase and I want to make sure I have my head wrapped around it all first.

donnaval

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
iwanttoflyaway - the housekeeping fee charged for the RCI short stays varies a lot, depending on the resort and the size of the unit. Right now for the few RCI points units available in Florida for the month of March, the housekeeping fee looks to range from $20 to a bit over $100. Often there are only single nights available for points exchanges, so when you add that housekeeping fee plus the exchange fee plus the cost of your points, it will often exceed your target of $100 per night. The last calls and extra vacations can be real bargains in comparison. We have booked some called in to the resort to inform them we would be arriving a day or two late and have not had an issue. We have left early, ditto no issue. One time I did a gal trip with friends and took off early while my friends stayed for the final two days, and there was no need to get a guest certificate or any issue with my leaving. Yes, those are "out the door" costs and can be a sore spot for some of us when we see RCI offering them at far less than our maintenance costs lol.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
welcome to TUG, might want to break those off into individual topics! =D