• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Prank? Missile alert in Hawaii (Sat am)

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
I agree and I wasn't trying to be funny. It shows how "Bureaucrats" work and plan.
People forget the history of Pearl Harbor and the Japanese attack. For many, this was a horrific reminder that history repeats...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I wonder how many people had a heart attack because of this horrible mistake? Where are the shelters anyway, if there are any?
There are no shelters, this is why we are so woefully prepared. Though even if there were shelters, it isn't like there would be enough time to get out of your resort or home, let alone to a shelter.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
For everyone else, it was 38 minutes before the notification was rescinded. How you knew 3 minutes after 8:08am is beyond me. We are in Maui and people were terrified for 38 minutes...

It was being reported that is was a mistake before the notification was rescinded. I received a notice on my phone from Hawaii News Now at 8:19am.

Not trying to split hairs during the stressful time but reports were coming out before the rescind message was sent out.

Kapolei

Reaction score
I wonder how many people had a heart attack because of this horrible mistake? Where are the shelters anyway, if there are any?

Shelters are not really much of an option. As my middle school kid said after OMG —- what are we going to anyways?

The Hawaiian islands are separated by many miles and the terrain is mountainous. So it would really depend on where the bomb lands. If it is on the other side of the island and there is a mountain in between, then sheltering inside your house may make a difference. At ground zero, it is not going to matter.

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
It was being reported that is was a mistake before the notification was rescinded. I received a notice on my phone from Hawaii News Now at 8:19am.

Not trying to split hairs during the stressful time but reports were coming out before the rescind message was sent out.
Many relied only on the one official source. You, were fortunate. The vast majority were not...

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
People forget the history of Pearl Harbor and the Japanese attack. For many, this was a horrific reminder that history repeats...

This is not a repeat of Pearl Harbor; it is the exact opposite. With Pearl Harbor there was no was no widespread warning and the attack was real. The only commonality is that both occurred in Hawaii.

If this is a reminder of anything historic, it would be the 1938 broadcast of War of the Worlds.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Many relied only on the one official source. You, were fortunate. The vast majority were not...

I understand, I only posted that because you said you didn't know how the other person would have known so quickly.

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
This is not a repeat of Pearl Harbor; it is the exact opposite. With Pearl Harbor there was no was no widespread warning and the attack was real. The only commonality is that both occurred in Hawaii.

If this is a reminder of anything historic, it would be the 1938 broadcast of War of the Worlds.
If you were an officer in the US navy, stationed in pearl harbor, they were warned. My Dad was...

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Im here. It was about 38 minutes of no fun. Apparently, the sirens went off in the valley, but not Waikiki. All our phones went off with the message. It will be a topic of discussion at the bar today I'm sure.

Wow sirens too??
When I was a kid growing up in Honolulu, wa-a-ay before cell phones, I remember there'd be a monthly test of the Emergency Broadcast system. I think it was on the first of the month, and be on the TV and radio stations...something about short bursts and long bursts warning sounds. Honestly I got conditioned to think of the date first, 'oh must be the first of the month test'. The only threat I could remember was the cold war with the Soviet Union. And there is no place anyone can go. Actually I don't know anywhere I could go where I live now on the West coast.

Sorry for everyone who saw or heard this mistake alarm. I'm sure a certain small asian country likely came to mind which made the mistake seem all the more real.... Hope you all can go back to relaxing and enjoying your vacation.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
If you were an officer in the US navy, stationed in pearl harbor, they were warned. My Dad was...

Maybe by a few minutes, if at all. Most had no warning. But as that poster noted, that was a real attack, not a text alert sent out by accident. Really no parallel.

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
Maybe by a few minutes, if at all. Most had no warning. But as that poster noted, that was a real attack, not a text alert sent out by accident. Really no parallel.
Initial perceptions could be considered very similar.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Deleted by Moderator - Posts of a political nature are not permitted in TUG]

Last edited by a moderator:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

In 1973 when I was in Catholic high school studying WWII the history teacher, Sister Marie Gertrude had Sister Adele Marie come into class one day. The two nuns described being on Oahu during the bombing of Oearl Harbor. I am not sure where they were headed, but they told of their driver repeatedly having to pull over so they could get into a ditch along side the road as the planes came over. Several weeks later they had a serviceman visit children at the school and/or orphanage associated with the convent. They were laying old newspapers on the floor because it was wet from having been mopped. Service man says "I'll give you $5 for that newspaper". Nuns wanted to know why, then declined his offer. Then began the show and tell portion of that day in class as they held up a 30+ year old full page newspaper ad for fabrics with names like Arizona, Oklahoma, California etc. This was supposedly a coded message to tell the Japanese which ships were in the harbor. As I recall there was something else in the message with numbers, like yards available describing the number of troops. We've been through several WWII museums and I've never come across another copy of this newspaper.

sheweeble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I just heard the same thing on the news. How do you make a mistake like that, and take three minutes to correct it?

I bet it seemed A LOT longer than three minutes!
3 minutes would have been okay, we didn't receive a text until 38 minutes later, by then we had done some searching and found that it was probably a mistake

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
We have HI coming up next year (if the island is still there) this scenario has gone on in my mind several times and I am trying very hard to not let it cancel our trip however I cannot imagine to horror everyone must have felt for what is being called a MISTAKE! This is absolutely unacceptable. Very upsetting.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent the info below via email this morning to a friend of mine that asked about it. If you are in Waikiki, the latest info shows that most of Waikiki should survive. Maybe the windows in Waikiki will get blown out in a nuclear blast that happens near the airport, but the rest of Hawaii should be fine. There is a 10 mile radius that will get destroyed from ground zero and yesterday the newspaper reported about 18,000 deaths might occur in that area. But who really knows. The point is, if you are far away from that area, stay there and wait to see what happens. If in Waikiki, stay in a low area of a hotel where there are no windows. That is all we can do. Below is what I experienced.
——————-

For a lot of people it was a terrible experience and they were very scared if they live near ground zero or the airport area. When you get 10 miles aways, you should not be worried about being blown up. There is lots to worry about after a nuclear war, but we should not even see or feel any part of the blast in Hawaii Kai. But most people don’t trust that info and worry anyway. Our neighbors stood in a closet for 30 minutes waiting for their windows to get blown out and were very scared.

We did not have emergency warnings turned on for our phones and didn’t even know there was a warning. I turned the warnings off about six months ago because the phones just kept going off when there was a thunderstorm in Maui or other places around Hawaii that didn’t affect us. Right now I am glad they were off, but I did turn the warning back on after this false alarm event. Anyway, for us, it was a non event except to once again see how disfuntional state workers are in Hawaii.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Here is more of the story from today Jan 30
Chicago Tribune said:
Hawaii's emergency management leader has resigned and a state employee who sent an alert falsely warning of an incoming ballistic missile has been fired, officials said Tuesday, weeks after the mistake caused widespread panic.

Hawaii Emergency Management Agency Administrator Vern Miyagi stepped down Tuesday, state Adjutant General Maj. Gen. Joe Logan said. A second agency worker quit before disciplinary action was taken and another was being suspended without pay, Logan said in announcing results of an internal investigation.

The fallout came the same day the Federal Communications Commission revealed that the worker who pushed out the alert thought an actual attack was imminent. It was the first indication the Jan. 13 alert was purposely sent, adding another level of confusion to the misstep that left residents and tourists believing their lives were about to end.

The state emergency agency worker believed the attack was real because of a mistake in how the drill was initiated during a shift change, the FCC said in a report. The worker said he didn't hear the word "exercise" repeated six times even though others clearly heard it.

There was no requirement to double-check with a colleague or get a supervisor's approval before sending the blast to cellphones, TV and radio stations statewide, the agency said.

"There were no procedures in place to prevent a single person from mistakenly sending a missile alert" in Hawaii, said James Wiley, a cybersecurity and communications reliability staffer at the FCC.

The worker, who was fired Friday and whose name has not been revealed, has confused real-life events and drills in the past, according to the state's report on its internal investigation. Retired Brig. Gen. Bruce Oliveira, who wrote the report, said the employee mistakenly believed drills for tsunami and fire warnings were actual events.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

You are correct we were warned.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Hawaii's emergency management leader has resigned and a state employee who sent an alert falsely wrning of an incoming ballistic missile has been fired, officials said Tuesday, weeks after the mistake caused widespread panic.

Hawaii Emergency Management Agency Administrator Vern Miyagi stepped down Tuesday, state Adjutant General Maj. Gen. Joe Logan said. A second agency worker quit before disciplinary action was taken and another was being suspended without pay, Logan said in announcing results of an internal investigation.

The fallout came the same day the Federal Communications Commission revealed that the worker who pushed out the alert thought an actual attack was imminent. It was the first indication the Jan. 13 alert was purposely sent, adding another level of confusion to the misstep that left residents and tourists believing their lives were about to end.

The state emergency agency worker believed the attack was real because of a mistake in how the drill was initiated during a shift change, the FCC said in a report. The worker said he didn't hear the word "exercise" repeated six times even though others clearly heard it.

There was no requirement to double-check with a colleague or get a supervisor's approval before sending the blast to cellphones, TV and radio stations statewide, the agency said.

"There were no procedures in place to prevent a single person from mistakenly sending a missile alert" in Hawaii, said James Wiley, a cybersecurity and communications reliability staffer at the FCC.

The worker, who was fired Friday and whose name has not been revealed, has confused real-life events and drills in the past, according to the state's report on its internal investigation. Retired Brig. Gen. Bruce Oliveira, who wrote the report, said the employee mistakenly believed drills for tsunami and fire warnings were actual events.

--------
OMG, trying to select a sentence to quote is impossible on the ipad! The fact that the fired employee had previous issues with distinguishing a real life event from an exercise floors me! He should have been reassigned long ago!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
There were and are so many unanswers questions & problems at this emergency agency; there were a lack of training at all levels, there were no written guidelines or policy in place, there were no fail safe procedures in place.
Everyone should have been be fired or asked to resign in my opinion. There were no corrective actions taken by the supervisor; after this same employee in the past has confused real-life events and drills.

According to a Hawaii internal investigation conducted by a Retired Brig. Gen. Bruce Oliveira who wrote a written report, that this same state employee had mistakenly believed tsunami drills and fire warnings drills were actual events. A Red Flag should have gone up to this person supervisor and this person should have been removed from this key position ASAP.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Funny how people always first try to cover their a$$e$ through the most expedient, neutral, reasonable sounding cause for its F-ups, especially governments and large companies. Then they try to hold back the real incompetency until it trickles out, or the dam bursts.

The dam is bursting. Sounds like this person was either mentally unstable, and agency didn't can him despite his failures (typical of government entities), or he was truly disgruntled.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Funny how people always first try to cover their a$$e$ through the most expedient, neutral, reasonable sounding cause for its F-ups, especially governments and large companies. Then they try to hold back the real incompetency until it trickles out, or the dam bursts.

The dam is bursting. Sounds like this person was either mentally unstable, and agency didn't can him despite his failures (typical of government entities), or he was truly disgruntled.
Yes, typical of government entities. When they effectively have a job for life (unless they get caught screwing up, like in this case) and will get automatic promotions and pay raises, what incentive do these people have for improving processes or making them more efficient? These people would never make it in the private sector.

I had to deal with a level of government incompetency that you wouldn't imagine with my Global Entry application over this past year (yes, it took over a year from start to finish!). The Denver Global Entry office and staff were a complete joke! First available appointments were over 10 months out after application. Couldn't make adjacent appointments with my wife and daughter since the designers of the application process didn't even have that as a consideration -- ended up with three different interview times on two separate days (1.25 hour drive each way to the airport, plus parking fees, etc.)

Then when I finally got the interview, they screwed up and didn't process the results of the interview (system indicated that no interview happened!). No possible way to contact the Denver office (emails went unanswered, there was a phone number published, but no one ever answered nor did they ever act upon multiple messages left on the voicemail). Eventually made another appointment in Miami (had to drive 2 hours each way from Marco Island and take a day out of our vacation) but that office was great -- fixed the problem and received my GE card a week later. The Denver office staff were a bunch of buffoons with an attitude of just doing the bare minimum, 9-5 job. Our hard-earned taxes at work.

Kurt

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
My friend, who survived very aggressive breast cancer, among other things, was in Maui celebrating her 10th cancerversary with her husband when she received the alert. Even though she had a fabulous time in Maui for 2 weeks, this happened on the 2nd to last day. She was severely traumatized by the alerts, and had made phone calls her 3 children to possibly say goodbye to them. She also ran into a 7-year old child who was hyperventilating and sobbing because they couldn't reach her Mom on her cell phone.

It's sad to say but that half hour of fear completely colored her view of Maui, and I doubt she'll ever return. Prior to that, she was writing FB posts about wanting to buy property on Maui.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
My friend, who survived very aggressive breast cancer, among other things, was in Maui celebrating her 10th cancerversary with her husband when she received the alert. Even though she had a fabulous time in Maui for 2 weeks, this happened on the 2nd to last day. She was severely traumatized by the alerts, and had made phone calls her 3 children to possibly say goodbye to them. She also ran into a 7-year old child who was hyperventilating and sobbing because they couldn't reach her Mom on her cell phone.

It's sad to say but that half hour of fear completely colored her view of Maui, and I doubt she'll ever return. Prior to that, she was writing FB posts about wanting to buy property on Maui.
Sad, really sad, for a number of reasons.