• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Presentation Incentives, is it possible to push for better?

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
As mentioned in my Pulse post we got a presentation offer but unless a decent cash incentive it doesn't catch our attention.

If you hold out or push them is it possible to get more or whats on the table is all they will offer?

This is what they have offered for NYC Pulse:

As a “thank you” for attending together, you will receive your choice of one of the following gifts:

· $100 American Express Gift Card

· 27,500 Marriott Rewards Points (pre gift only) by picking up your gift at time of check-in at the Marriott Vacation Club Podium in the lobby

· 300 Destinations Plus Points (valid for two years)

· $175 Experience Dollars (attached is the list of our preferred dining partners that accept these certificates). (pre gift only) by picking up your gift at time of check-in at the Marriott Vacation Club Podium in the lobby

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
This seems like it is worth close to $300 - $400. Probably a bit hard to get more, although might be possible, who knows. I assume of you are attending presentations for incentives, that is the wrong reason.

Usually, $350 - $400 is my minimum offer to attend a presentation unless I want to attend one already. For some odd reason. Every now and then, I might actually want to attend one (scratching my head as to why?). On vacation it takes a lot to motivate me to give up my time so even this may not motivate me since I might not use the promotional items they give me.

Last edited:

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
This seems like it is worth close to $300 - $400. Probably a bit hard to get more, although might be possible, who knows. I assume of you are attending presentations for incentives, that is the wrong reason.

Usually, $350 - $400 is my minimum offer to attend a presentation unless I want to attend one already. For some odd reason. Every now and then, I might actually want to attend one (scratching my head as to why?). I earn this much in my business so that is why I use this as a minimum benchmark. But on vacation it takes a lot to motivate me to give up my time so even this may not motivate me since I might not use the promotional items they give me.

Sorry wasn’t clear it was a choice of one of the above! Will edit now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Sorry wasn’t clear it was a choice of one of the above! Will edit now!

Yes, it seemed like a lot. I once got a $400 discount off my hotel bill and a room upgrade to a full ocean view 1 bedroom suite from a partial ocean view studio. That was the best ever upgrade that was worth my time. Plus it was at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach, where I was interested in seeing Montecristo Estates anyway. The salespeople there were low pressure, in my opinion. I did not buy anything but I enjoyed the tour.

Given that it is one of the above, I think I would not go to this presentation unless you are interested in the resort for some other reason.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
As mentioned in my Pulse post we got a presentation offer but unless a decent cash incentive it doesn't catch our attention.

If you hold out or push them is it possible to get more or whats on the table is all they will offer?

This is what they have offered for NYC Pulse:

As a “thank you” for attending together, you will receive your choice of one of the following gifts:

· $100 American Express Gift Card

· 27,500 Marriott Rewards Points (pre gift only) by picking up your gift at time of check-in at the Marriott Vacation Club Podium in the lobby

· 300 Destinations Plus Points (valid for two years)

· $175 Experience Dollars (attached is the list of our preferred dining partners that accept these certificates). (pre gift only) by picking up your gift at time of check-in at the Marriott Vacation Club Podium in the lobby
This is actually not too bad. The MR points is higher than most which are at 20K. The DC points are worth about $150-$200. Depending on how much volume they have going through their sales operation while you are staying, they may call and try to offer you more to attend, but if they have a full slate, they may not. It all comes down to how many people they have churning through the door. If they need more they may up the ante, if they are already booked up, the offer may stay the same.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
This is actually not too bad. The MR points is higher than most which are at 20K. The DC points are worth about $150-$200. Depending on how much volume they have going through their sales operation while you are staying, they may call and try to offer you more to attend, but if they have a full slate, they may not. It all comes down to how many people they have churning through the door. If they need more they may up the ante, if they are already booked up, the offer may stay the same.

I emailed back saying cash incentive to spend on holidays is what interests us and in a busy city 100$ wouldn’t be worth it to us

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What??? This is the ONLY reason!

I meant this is not motivating enough if it is only of a choice of one of the items. I would need more of a reason. I do not think incentives is the only reason to go. Some of us are actually interested in the tour of the property and learning about the program if we have never been there. Some people like the updates even if they have been there.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am bummed. This is my second time this month staying at MVC and I have not even been invited to a presentation! I would probably go for 40K MR points. Might be a bit less than my benchmark in dollar value but could equate to a free night in a cat 5 or almost a free night in a cat 7.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was at the Ritz Club in Vail, one of their sales people told me that MVC will be cutting back drastically on the incentives offered to attend sales presentations on site. This is due to the high cost to MVC with very low conversion rates. She said they will be moving toward other sales and marketing tactics that are more targeted and less costly. It will be interesting to see whether this is true.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When I was at the Ritz Club in Vail, one of their sales people told me that MVC will be cutting back drastically on the incentives offered to attend sales presentations on site. This is due to the high cost to MVC with very low conversion rates. She said they will be moving toward other sales and marketing tactics that are more targeted and less costly. It will be interesting to see whether this is true.

Interesting. What will they do instead? Lower sale prices? Better sales incentives if you purchase direct?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We heard this same thing years ago at Oceana Palms. I say, if it were possible someone would have tried it already. The fact remains, few people go on vacation to spend time sitting in front of a salesperson. They need to incentivise people to give up their precious vacation time.

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
It's funny, I spoke with a Marriott representative at Aruba airport because a friend is possibly interested in buying a timeshare so I stopped just to get some info. For the 6 nights stay in Aruba or Hawaii if you go to the 90 minute presentation during your stay, it is now $99.00 deposit and 700.00 on your CC when you book. This would be for a garden view regular hotel room. When I did this about 4 years ago I got it for $199.00!
4 days/3 nights in Las Vegas, San Diego, Myrtle Beach or Williamsburg is $199.00.
$299.00 for HH, Florida timeshares, Arizona, California, Colorado and DC.
Seems things are going up.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We heard this same thing years ago at Oceana Palms. I say, if it were possible someone would have tried it already. The fact remains, few people go on vacation to spend time sitting in front of a salesperson. They need to incentivise people to give up their precious vacation time.
I think they may be more selective regarding who is invited for the onsite presentations, and will also try new methods to reach those who aren't currently MVC owners. They have probably learned that those of us who are already Chairman or other high levels have very little need for more points, and are too knowledgeable to fall for their 'promises'. They may also avoid TUG members :eek:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they may be more selective regarding who is invited for the onsite presentations, and will also try new methods to reach those who aren't currently MVC owners. They have probably learned that those of us who are already Chairman or other high levels have very little need for more points, and are too knowledgeable to fall for their 'promises'. They may also avoid TUG members :eek:
I guess it varies widely be resort though?
With Phuket Beach Club, for the very first time we received a “pre-warm welcome arrival” email recently, followed up by a phone call today offering a bonus incentive for booking a Sales presentation prior to arrival plus a choice of regular incentives for attending the 60 minute presentation.
In the past, they have just encouraged you to attend at check in time whilst collecting your VIP discount card.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

They discuss sales prospecting often in their quarterly earnings conference calls. Based on those comments, it seems they are putting more emphasis on their call transfer programs from the Marriott hotels reservation center and an upcoming (2019) initiative that will create the digital equivalent of a warm call transfer, to be implemented on Marriott.com. They are also working to set up more prospect-generating concierge desks at Marriott-branded hotels near their sales centers. Their emphasis is in boosting their sales percentage to first time buyers versus existing owners. Based on the questions they seem to always get from Wall Street analysts, that is something the analysts keep looking for - increased % of sales to first-time buyers. As I recall, right now about 60% of their sales come from existing owners and they want the ratio to be closer to 50-50. Based on that, it would not surprise me if they are indeed putting more and better incentives toward prospecting at hotels and through the call center/marriott.com versus onsite owner incentives at MVC resorts.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
They discuss sales prospecting often in their quarterly earnings conference calls. Based on those comments, it seems they are putting more emphasis on their call transfer programs from the Marriott hotels reservation center and an upcoming (2019) initiative that will create the digital equivalent of a warm call transfer, to be implemented on Marriott.com. They are also working to set up more prospect-generating concierge desks at Marriott-branded hotels near their sales centers. Their emphasis is in boosting their sales percentage to first time buyers versus existing owners. Based on the questions they seem to always get from Wall Street analysts, that is something the analysts keep looking for - increased % of sales to first-time buyers. As I recall, right now about 60% of their sales come from existing owners and they want the ratio to be closer to 50-50. Based on that, it would not surprise me if they are indeed putting more and better incentives toward prospecting at hotels and through the call center/marriott.com versus onsite owner incentives at MVC resorts.
I am sure that both MVC themselves and the analysts would like to see increased % of sales to first-time buyers, so MVC may well do as you suggest.
There is a very good reason though why the majority of their sales come from existing owners and it is not just because they are the ones who have been targetted most historically. It is because they have been the easiest to successfully sell to (especially with weeks anyway)
With points and potentially a lower entry price that does change the game.