• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Presidential Status | Marriott Platinum Premier Elite - Pleasant Suprise

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the merger of the rewards systems now 2 months old, I received a pleasant surprise after my most recent hotel stay. I spent a night in Boston Courtyard Marriott for $665 ($581 Pre-Tax) and just had my points post from that stay. I must not have been paying attention but I was surprised that the number of points I received was over 10,000 points. I was expecting about 6,000 points.

Previously, before the merger, I only had Platinum status and before 2018, I only had Gold. I had forgotten that with status, you receive a bonus on points. I had never really noticed it with Gold status (25%). I believe prior to the merger it was capped at 50% bonus. 25% bonus didn't really stand out but 75% bonus made me do a double take, which led to this post.

Silver - 10% Bonus
Gold - 25% Bonus
Platinum - 50% Bonus
Platinum Premier - 75% Bonus.

Since PP was introduced, I could say that I really noticed.
5,810 Base
4358 Elite Bonus
500 Extra (PP Welcome Gift)
10,668 Points Total

And since I used my Marriott Visa to pay for it all, I'll receive another 3,486 or 3,990 points, depending on whether or not it is calculated pre or post tax. This one stay will earn me 14,658 points. The best part, this was a company reimbursed trip.

And, because the front desk did not offer me the choice of Welcome Gift (500 points or $10 Food and Beverage Credit), I was able to collect $50 guest compensation due to the Elite Benefit Guarantees.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/member-benefits/guarantee.mi

Because the hotel was sold out and many other hotels were also sold out, I was hoping to get "walked" so that I could collected the other $100 guest compensation and the 90,000 MRP because of Platinum Premier status.

I would say that I have benefited from this new program.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
And you owe it all to Trump for Making America Great Again!!!! ;-)

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
And if I would have stayed one more night I could have paid an additional $1048 before taxes and probably collected over 20,000 points. The attached screenshot was for the following day. This hotel is normally $200 for the night. I'm not sure what drove up the rates since I only stayed Monday night. Everywhere else was sold out.

With this new status an using my Marriott Visa, I receive 23.5 points per dollar spent on hotels. That next 5-night cert will be here before I know it.

Attachments

• C3BAD719-8E3C-4C92-A2A5-15B54D222CB0.png
    C3BAD719-8E3C-4C92-A2A5-15B54D222CB0.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 83

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Steven, thanks for sharing. I hadn't focused on the size of the PP bonus, but that is outstanding.

Best regards.

Mike

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
You'll earn 3,990 from your Marriott Visa since that award is based on a total dollar charge.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
And if I would have stayed one more night I could have paid an additional $1048 before taxes and probably collected over 20,000 points. The attached screenshot was for the following day. This hotel is normally $200 for the night. I'm not sure what drove up the rates since I only stayed Monday night. Everywhere else was sold out.

With this new status an using my Marriott Visa, I receive 23.5 points per dollar spent on hotels. That next 5-night cert will be here before I know it.
I've read that several hotels in Boston area (primarily old Starwood owned) are now on strike. Perhaps the increased demand in the hotels not on strike.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
With the merger of the rewards systems now 2 months old, I received a pleasant surprise after my most recent hotel stay. I spent a night in Boston Courtyard Marriott for $665 ($581 Pre-Tax) and just had my points post from that stay. I must not have been paying attention but I was surprised that the number of points I received was over 10,000 points. I was expecting about 6,000 points.

Previously, before the merger, I only had Platinum status and before 2018, I only had Gold. I had forgotten that with status, you receive a bonus on points. I had never really noticed it with Gold status (25%). I believe prior to the merger it was capped at 50% bonus. 25% bonus didn't really stand out but 75% bonus made me do a double take, which led to this post.

Silver - 10% Bonus
Gold - 25% Bonus
Platinum - 50% Bonus

5,810 Base
4358 Elite Bonus
10,668 Points Total

And since I used my Marriott Visa to pay for it all, I'll receive another 3,486 or 3,990 points, depending on whether or not it is calculated pre or post tax. This one stay will earn me 14,658 points. The best part, this was a company reimbursed trip.

And, because the front desk did not offer me the choice of Welcome Gift (500 points or $10 Food and Beverage Credit), I was able to collect $50 guest compensation due to the Elite Benefit Guarantees.

Because the hotel was sold out and many other hotels were also sold out, I was hoping to get "walked" so that I could collected the other $100 guest compensation and the 90,000 MRP because of Platinum Premier status.

That is fantastic! When was your MR account upgraded? I am still waiting for my account to get upgraded.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
MR points received from spending money on Marriott hotels and timeshares is a real hidden value that can add up quickly. It is especially awesome when you don't even have to pay for the room like a business expense. I went to Shanghai in 2016 on company business. I stayed at the Marriott at Tomorrow Square. It is a really nice hotel so fairly expensive. I had to stay 2 weeks so the bill added up. I think i ended up getting 150k points. Not only that as platinum they put me in a concierge level top floor looking over the city. It was an amazing business trip. I still always volunteer for that trip. Next year I may be headed to Japan under the same situation so strating to look at Marriotts.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't remember exactly but I think it was around August 28th.
I received my email confirmation of the MR account upgrade with details of the new benefits on 4th September, extract below.
“As a benefit of being a member of the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations® Exchange program, you were upgraded to Platinum Elite status in the Marriott Rewards program. We're pleased to announce that we have upgraded your current Platinum Elite Marriott Rewards status even higher to the newly created Platinum Premier Elite level.1 The benefits just got better, and with your new status, you'll enjoy these outstanding features:”

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
The platinum welcome gift is now 1000 mrp.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It will be based on the total charged to the credit card. Chase doesn't know how much was before or after tax, they just see the total charge.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Marriott just told me I would not be upgraded to Platinum Premier until next year because they say I bought externally. First, that is not true. My last purchase was direct from Marriott. Second, I had to pay a huge activation fee for the Trust points I bought externally so they would be the same as buying direct. This is terrible customer service. I really regret doing business with Marriott. This is a bad start to my relationship with Marriott.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

It depends on the property. Higher end properties are 1,000 but all the lower brands from Courtyard on down is still 500.

It is worth noting that the mid-tier properties like Courtyard are 500 points or $10 food and bev credit per day. $10 is already worth more than 500 points but with it being per day it is a great option for multi-days. Higher end properties are still "per stay", which seems odd.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
It depends on the property. Higher end properties are 1,000 but all the lower brands from Courtyard on down is still 500.

It is worth noting that the mid-tier properties like Courtyard are 500 points or $10 food and bev credit per day. $10 is already worth more than 500 points but with it being per day it is a great option for multi-days. Higher end properties are still "per stay", which seems odd.
Thanks. Didn't know that as we mostly stay at MVC resorts.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

Silver - 10% Bonus
Gold - 25% Bonus
Platinum - 50% Bonus

5,810 Base
4358 Elite Bonus
10,668 Points Total

I think some properties are figuring a way around this. We are currently staying at.a Spring Hill Suites. As an LPP, I was not offered a Platinum Arrival Gift. A couple hours later, after researching the compensation for that brand, I went down to the front desk to inquire about the arrival gift not being offered when I checked in. I was told that since I was on an award stay bonus points were automatically applied based on my status but that if I preferred to switch the arrival gift to a market item, I could. Hmm.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I think some properties are figuring a way around this. We are currently staying at.a Spring Hill Suites. As an LPP, I was not offered a Platinum Arrival Gift. A couple hours later, after researching the compensation for that brand, I went down to the front desk to inquire about the arrival gift not being offered when I checked in. I was told that since I was on an award stay bonus points were automatically applied based on my status but that if I preferred to switch the arrival gift to a market item, I could. Hmm.

It was really nice for the front desk to assume what you wanted!

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas

Isn't that still only $12.50 if you had to buy 1000 pets?

Brian

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a bunch of hog wash. We frequently stay on points at various Marriott brands. Not once have I been told that because we were staying on points that our welcome gift was automatically points. I hope you called them out on that and insisted on the compensation for the arrival gift not being offered.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is where I would challenge them as it's supposed to be a Welcome Gift Choice. This is what I did with my stay. Supposedly the front desk gave me points. I just went down and asked for the guest compensation.

Get more when you check in. As a Platinum or Platinum Premier Elite member, you’ll receive a special gift upon arrival at all participating hotels, offering you a choice of an amenity gift or points. If guarantee is not met, guest compensation applies.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
This is where I would challenge them as it's supposed to be a Welcome Gift Choice. This is what I did with my stay. Supposedly the front desk gave me points. I just went down and asked for the guest compensation.

I agree that I could have made it an issue, but ultimately I chose not to this time. I did exercise this guarantee on one occasion a few years ago where a full-service Marriott failed to offer me a Platinum arrival gift at check-in and they did cut me a check for it (however begrudgingly). Next time, we'll see.