• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about Float weeks

lanalee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I own a float week at a resort that converted to Points. I have been told that I will be awarded 60,300 points annually. However, most of the weeks at my resort (according to the RCI website) cost more points than 60,300 points. The only weeks that are worth less than 60,300 points are off-season weeks. However, according to my resort, because I am an owner at my resort, I would still be able to get any week and it would only cost me no more than my allotment. I was told the RCI website values are only for non-owners that want to trade into my resort.

Can you confirm that RCI Points works this way?

Thanks,

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It almost works just as you were told.

With a few resorts, you must tell your home resort that you want to place your week into the Points system every year. If you withhold your week, you simply make a reservation with your home resort to use your float week however you desire.

In most cases, your unit will automatically be deposited into the Points system. If you reserve a week at your home resort during your home priority period, you can obtain any week over which your unit floats regardless of point values. You will be charged the number of points given to your unit. (That not only applies to weeks worth more points than you were given, but weeks worth less.)

The one thing that you need to be aware of is if your unit is placed into the Points system and you decide that you want to go to your home resort after your home priority period, you will treated like any other points customer. (In other words, if, for example, after having your unit deposited into the points system, six months out, you decide you want to go to your home resort, then you will have to pay whatever number of points that is required for that unit.)

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
lanalee said:
Hi everyone
I own a float week at a resort that converted to Points. I have been told that I will be awarded 60,300 points annually. However, most of the weeks at my resort (according to the RCI website) cost more points than 60,300 points. The only weeks that are worth less than 60,300 points are off-season weeks. However, according to my resort, because I am an owner at my resort, I would still be able to get any week and it would only cost me no more than my allotment. I was told the RCI website values are only for non-owners that want to trade into my resort.

Can you confirm that RCI Points works this way?

Thanks,

Just because your resort has become a Points resort doesn't mean that you automatically become a Points member does it? Don't you have to pay a fee to convert your week? Then set up a RCI Points acct.? Otherwise you just own a 'week'.

Phil

lanalee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Phil
You're right. There is a fee to convert - $3,000 (and I won't pay it). I'm still a Weeks member.

I wanted these answers to help a coworker, who owns at Twin Peaks and has already converted. And also because I'm curious myself. I am not a Points member, it's just too much money to convert my week.

Thanks again for your help!

By the way, have you ever heard of Evergreen Coast Developments Ltd or Point to Point Destinations? They recently became managers or our resort. I'm not sure how this will affect us. I noticed our 2006 maintenance fee notice have not yet been mailed. We usually get them in November, due end of January. I'm crossing my fingers that "new managers" don't equate to "higher fees".

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Roger said:
(That not only applies to weeks worth more points than you were given, but weeks worth less.)

Roger, I don't think that is correct. I own at this resort and when I booked my week during the home period I used less points (because of the week booked according to the Points grid) and had points left over. I know the other way you described is correct.

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
lanalee said:
Phil
By the way, have you ever heard of Evergreen Coast Developments Ltd or Point to Point Destinations? They recently became managers or our resort. I'm not sure how this will affect us. I noticed our 2006 maintenance fee notice have not yet been mailed. We usually get them in November, due end of January. I'm crossing my fingers that "new managers" don't equate to "higher fees".

We haven't got our notice yet either. I don't think if you were at the special meeting when the property mgmt compnay switch occured. I did find out that they couldn't confirm if there would be/wouldn't be an increase in fees.

As for the switch to PTP, it's good for us as RCI Points members :) because we get access to the home group of PTP resorts before the general RCI Points members and we also get access to PTP bonus time at all their resorts. On the Twin Peaks Weeks side, you only get bonus time at the three WVC resorts.