• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question on how to determine if property is HOA managed

Greatdeal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received a question on whether the timeshare I am selling:
Is this a developer owned timeshare or an owner HOA managed building?

The place is Coconut Bay Resort, Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I'm a timeshare owner, but don't understand the difference they are asking me. So I don't know how to reply to the interested party.

Thanks for any help.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Condo hoas and that includes timeshares, are controlled by the developer until a certain percentage of the units are sold. At that point control is turned over to the Hoa

So your buyer is asking whether or not the project is sold out(or nearly so) or if the developer is still involved and actively selling

Unfortunately the answer dosent answer the bigger question, and that is. Is the project managed by the developer, or a management company employed by the hoa or is it self managed

Who manages the timeshare is aparantly important to your buyer

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I received a question on whether the timeshare I am selling:
Is this a developer owned timeshare or an owner HOA managed building?

The place is Coconut Bay Resort, Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I'm a timeshare owner, but don't understand the difference they are asking me. So I don't know how to reply to the interested party.

Thanks for any help.

I don't know anything whatsoever about this resort, but will offer a few generic observations and suggestions that may help:

1. Call the resort directly. Ask them very specifically if there are still any "developer sales" going on there, or if it's "sold out" with only "resales" available now. If the answer is "only resales", then you know that the developer is likely gone from the scene --- and you have part of your answer.

2. While you're on the phone, ask the name of the current management company (which is likely identified on your annual maintenance fee bill, but ask anyhow as such things can and do occasionally change). If this is a "sold out" resort (i.e., the developer is now out of the picture), there is most likely a third party management company hired by the owner-based HOA. It is highly unlikely, although not impossible, that the place is actually being managed by the HOA itself. If it is, this strongly suggests that developer "representatives" may be on the Board and the developer still peripherally involved in the property management. Identifying the management company, combined with the answer to item 1. above, will provide the information you need for your prospective buyer.

3. While on the phone, also inquire about current exchange company affiliation of the resort, if that's something that you don't already know. Potential buyers may very well ask and may very well care a lot whether it's affiliated with RCI, II or with both; exchange company affiliation is also something that can change.

You certainly don't want to offend or alienate your prospective buyer, but you could also volunteer the resort's phone number to the buyer, inviting them to obtain and / or confirm answers to their questions "right from the horses' mouth" if they prefer. In any case, good luck.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The better and probably the question being asked is if the HOA is controlled by a developer, a management company, or the owners. It's usually the former. It's worth noting that even if the HOA is controlled by the owners it doesn't mean it is a good situation. Many owner controlled HOA's have failed miserably because owners would prefer not to raise their own annual fees and adequately fund reserves and also face the bad debt situation.