• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question re RCI directory

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I'm relatively new to the RCI directory and have a quick question. If a resort has a blue dot next to the name, which means "RCI Points Affiliated Resort," does that mean the resort can be booked with points only, not via weekly exchange (TPUs)? If points only, would Wyndham points work or would they have to be RCI Points specifically?

TIA!

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I believe that there could be some weeks availability at points affiliated resorts, but it really depends on the resort in particular. When a resort is points affiliated, you can convert your weeks to the RCI points system, but that usually isn't mandatory so there could be some weeks-based inventory still. It does mean, however, that if you own a weeks unit at a points affiliated resort you won't be able to use the points for deposit with that week; if you want to use it for points you have to convert it full time to weeks for $$$ rather than the occasional single week conversion.

Re: using Wyndham points for RCI points affiliated resorts, you can going through the Wyndham RCI portal via the external exchanges link. The point cost for a resort that way is different than the point cost in RCI points, which opens up some options for arbitrage if you own Wyndham and have a week enrolled in PIC. There isn't a real exchange rate between Wyndham and RCI points, but instead a unit-type and season chart for how much an exchange will cost you in points.

Hope that helps!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I'm relatively new to the RCI directory and have a quick question. If a resort has a blue dot next to the name, which means "RCI Points Affiliated Resort," does that mean the resort can be booked with points only, not via weekly exchange (TPUs)? If points only, would Wyndham points work or would they have to be RCI Points specifically?

TIA!
If it shows as points affiliated resort, it means it has at least some owners/members that exchange using RCI points. In older resorts it may mean that 50% or more still exchange in weeks and other owners converted. There are some newer resorts that may have sold exclusively in points and may not have any weeks owners. For developer controlled systems with their own points system like DVC, Hilton, Wyndham etc, the developer can deposit in either weeks or points inventory.

If you have plus partners with Wyndham (bought direct or bought a long time ago and pay the slightly higher program fee) and are eligible for nightly stays you can book both weeks and points rci inventory. If you have resale only points from wyndham then you may only have access to rci weeks inventory.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Thank you both. My sister and I are now co-owners of deeded Shell weeks, and I’m trying to help her look for exchange possibilities so wanted to better understand the directory itself. Sounds like we just need to search via the RCI Weeks website, and if the resort she’s interested in is available for a weeks exchange, the website will tell us.

Thanks again - I appreciate it!