• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI 1 in 4 rule

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
I've searched around and tried to find the answer on my own but no luck. Can someone please explain to me this 1 in 4 rule I keep hearing about for RCI exchanges?

Thank you,

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
RCI's 1 in x rule varies by RCI resort.
It basically means you can only perform the exchange once every x years.

Some restrictions are at a resort level and some are at a group level (only allowing one one exchange within their family of resorts). Some 1 in x rules allow concurrent and/or consecutive reservations.

You need to login to RCI, if there is a restriction you will see it noted under the FEES tab.
I’ve included two examples below - specifically look at the “Policy Restrictions” and “Other Information” sections.

NOTE: HGVC's 1 in 4 restriction is at a resort level. So folks can exchange into a different HGVC resort ever year. This RCI restriction applies to everyone including HGVC members.

See this detailed TUG discussion for more info - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/rci-1-in-3-4-5-policy-confusion.191054/

EF33D66F-FCF6-4FE0-8EE5-F3A8D8DED731.png

BFDE381B-AF4A-45CC-B3EF-690A9090C930.png

Last edited:

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Others again have the 1:4 rule for entire group of resorts, which means you can only stay at one of the resorts every 4 year. Some resorts are very strict with the rule others not.

Another rule you might come by is a maximum number of weeks you may stay at a resort, not that many has that rule but it’s there.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I've searched around and tried to find the answer on my own but no luck. Can someone please explain to me this 1 in 4 rule I keep hearing about for RCI exchanges?

Thank you,

I have wondered why do some resorts have the 1 in 4. I have heard the answer to be "so more people will have an opportunity to experience the resort". I have also heard that it is so the sales staff at that resort will have a greater and better opportunity to sell timeshares to new people rather than ones that well there before and have already gone thru a presentation.

If the reason is to benefit the members of RCI and not for sales opportunity and don't agree with the reasoning since it is contrary to the concept that needs to be emphasized as prime importance in making timeshare reservations: Book early to get the location, dates and size of accommodations that you want.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also to dissuade you from continually exchanging into to the resort and encourage you to buy if you like it so much.

Regarding the 1 in 4 rule, it had to be more than 48 months to the day. I stayed in July and tried to stay in June 4 years later and they said no.

Humans not computers determine the 1 in 4 rule. I once got a counselor who couldn't calculate properly. She kept doing 1 in 5. I hung up, called back, and spoke with a different counselor who processed my request.

Rules change. I use to stay back to back weeks at the Manhattan Club, now you can only stay 1 week

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also to dissuade you from continually exchanging into to the resort and encourage you to buy if you like it so much.

Regarding the 1 in 4 rule, it had to be more than 48 months to the day. I stayed in July and tried to stay in June 4 years later and they said no.

Humans not computers determine the 1 in 4 rule. I once got a counselor who couldn't calculate properly. She kept doing 1 in 5. I hung up, called back, and spoke with a different counselor who processed my request.

Rules change. I use to stay back to back weeks at the Manhattan Club, now you can only stay 1 week
Seems logical. It keeps you from buying somewhere cheap and staying at their expensive resort. And a good sales tactic and they can brag about how they protect their owners availability.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I’ve traded into a 1 in 4 resorts that I would never want to go back to, amazed me it was a 1 in 4.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

The point you make about dissuading you from continually exchanging into a resort and buying there is a good one and a reason for NOT OWNING resorts that exchange with RCI that don't have their own exchange system with desirable locations as HGVC does. HGVC does not have the 1 in 4 rule for HGVC exchanges within their system even if they don't own at that resort.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It may be helpful for others, I chatted today with RCI and they allow booking 2 consecutive weeks even if they fall in different years (52 and 1).

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I’ve traded into a 1 in 4 resorts that I would never want to go back to, amazed me it was a 1 in 4.
As I read this, I was thinking back to the RCI resorts we have visited over the years. Most (even those rated Gold Star) were not worth a 2nd visit. Fortunately, ours is a big country!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
It’s not RCI that decides 1-4 rule.its the resort. You can exchange thru RCI using a different resort and exchange into a 1-4 just not the same timeshare. Also if you own HICV you can exchange every year into their affiliates.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I’m assuming owning hgvc doesn’t allow you to override 1-4 for Rci trades?

raiderfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
will they stop you when you try to book it, or later when you show up and they remember you?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
will they stop you when you try to book it, or later when you show up and they remember you?
Usually RCI computer catches it if you are breaking the 1 in 4 into weeks inventory. Most resorts don't keep track of it themselves and let rci take care of it. It also is possible that rci won't catch it when you book but periodically do audits and if they then pick it up they can cancel at any time up to check in. In the past I have heard of some resorts who keep track themselves and would either notify rci to cancel or deny check in but reports like that are super rare.

In the past 1 in 4 only applied to weeks inventory but at many (not all) it also applies to points inventory and even sometimes rental/extra weeks/last call. If it does that info would be in the urgent info. I think rci also tries to prevent you from booking if you can't because of 1 in 4 but sometimes it misses it. It's up to you to decide if you want to risk getting cancelled later.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Last year, Once I confirmed hgvc kingsland, rci would only show me kingsland inventory the same week or 1week prior/after, which is allowed to book under 1-4. Same for sea world. I could not even see inventory until I passed the 4 year mark. So booked Tuscany. Hawaii and Orlando are pretty easy to just book a different hgvc resort.

jimkin

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A couple months ago I booked a July week at the Galleon in Key West with a weeks account. Last week I was offered an exchange for a September week via a points account. I didn’t take it because the timing wasn’t good but I’ve also heard the horror stories of people arriving at 1 in 4 resorts and being denied checkin.
None of these stories appear to be recent but it does seem like it would be much easier to track with modern computerized record keeping and drivers licenses and credit cards required at all check ins. I wanted to tap the collective thoughts of you guys, what do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I have wondered what the chances are of trying to double dip on some places using both my personal RCI Points account and my HGVC portal account. It is not even clear to me if that would be a rule violation. It may be spelled out somewhere, but I have never seen detailed RCI rules that cover that.