TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

RCI 1 in 4 rule

Discussion in 'Hilton Grand Vacations Club / HGVC' started by Mosescan, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Mosescan

Mosescan TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
    I've searched around and tried to find the answer on my own but no luck. Can someone please explain to me this 1 in 4 rule I keep hearing about for RCI exchanges?

Thank you,

2. alwysonvac

alwysonvac TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark, Vistana, Disney, Hilton
    RCI's 1 in x rule varies by RCI resort.
    It basically means you can only perform the exchange once every x years.

Some restrictions are at a resort level and some are at a group level (only allowing one one exchange within their family of resorts). Some 1 in x rules allow concurrent and/or consecutive reservations.

You need to login to RCI, if there is a restriction you will see it noted under the FEES tab.
    I’ve included two examples below - specifically look at the “Policy Restrictions” and “Other Information” sections.

NOTE: HGVC's 1 in 4 restriction is at a resort level. So folks can exchange into a different HGVC resort ever year. This RCI restriction applies to everyone including HGVC members.

See this detailed TUG discussion for more info - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/rci-1-in-3-4-5-policy-confusion.191054/

EF33D66F-FCF6-4FE0-8EE5-F3A8D8DED731.png

BFDE381B-AF4A-45CC-B3EF-690A9090C930.png

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Panina likes this.
  3. Mosescan

Mosescan TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Thank you

4. Cyberc

Cyberc TUG Member

Others again have the 1:4 rule for entire group of resorts, which means you can only stay at one of the resorts every 4 year. Some resorts are very strict with the rule others not.

Another rule you might come by is a maximum number of weeks you may stay at a resort, not that many has that rule but it’s there.

5. Tamaradarann

Tamaradarann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I have wondered why do some resorts have the 1 in 4. I have heard the answer to be "so more people will have an opportunity to experience the resort". I have also heard that it is so the sales staff at that resort will have a greater and better opportunity to sell timeshares to new people rather than ones that well there before and have already gone thru a presentation.

If the reason is to benefit the members of RCI and not for sales opportunity and don't agree with the reasoning since it is contrary to the concept that needs to be emphasized as prime importance in making timeshare reservations: Book early to get the location, dates and size of accommodations that you want.

6. jehb2

jehb2 TUG Member

Also to dissuade you from continually exchanging into to the resort and encourage you to buy if you like it so much.

Regarding the 1 in 4 rule, it had to be more than 48 months to the day. I stayed in July and tried to stay in June 4 years later and they said no.

Humans not computers determine the 1 in 4 rule. I once got a counselor who couldn't calculate properly. She kept doing 1 in 5. I hung up, called back, and spoke with a different counselor who processed my request.

Rules change. I use to stay back to back weeks at the Manhattan Club, now you can only stay 1 week

7. Mosescan

Mosescan TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Seems logical. It keeps you from buying somewhere cheap and staying at their expensive resort. And a good sales tactic and they can brag about how they protect their owners availability.

8. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc Mcalpin, Hgvc Eagles Nest, Hgvc Surf Club at Marco Island, Hgvc Plantation Beach Club at Indian River, Sunrise Bay & Club, Hideaway Sands, Chetola, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Banyan Resort, Blue Ridge Village
    I’ve traded into a 1 in 4 resorts that I would never want to go back to, amazed me it was a 1 in 4.

jehb2 and klpca like this.
  9. Tamaradarann

Tamaradarann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

The point you make about dissuading you from continually exchanging into a resort and buying there is a good one and a reason for NOT OWNING resorts that exchange with RCI that don't have their own exchange system with desirable locations as HGVC does. HGVC does not have the 1 in 4 rule for HGVC exchanges within their system even if they don't own at that resort.