• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI changes= New strategies?

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
I own lockoff weeks in a Gold Crown Hilton Head week - one is in mid-May and the other is a July 4th week - always deposited about 2 yrs in advance as a studio and 1 Br. These weeks now show diff availability and correctly so - where before the enhancement, they all traded the same.
Interesting. It seems that many reports indicate finer differences now in trade power, whether it's due to resort award, check-in date, unit size, full or partial kitchen, whatever. I agree that it's more fair, just hard to adjust after being able to work the system. :p :) I'll be paying closer attention to availability in the last 30-60 days. I'm not seeing inventory open wide for this time period, like I'd expected.

Believe me, when you deposit your Foxrun with II, it will certainly recognize it as a lesser demand week than a beach week.
There, I disagree. Foxrun still gets ACs, still trades very well. II has a different resort distribution than RCI. II seems to have a disproportionate membership in FL, with folks who like to visit the (southern) Smoky and Blue Ridge Mountains and their resort availability in NC and TN is very limited. So Foxrun trades very well in II.

Talk about unfair, I purchased my Marriott Hilton Head timeshares from the developer - mostly to have the Marriott rewards point option and they have made MAJOR revisions twice in that program in the past 10 years that have seriously undermined the value of those reward points.
That's a shame. An exchange company is optional and it's easy to switch to another if we don't like their changes. The management company is a whole other matter. :(

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
And this is NOT about making a system more fair for members. ... Having we learned what RCI is really all about?
Hm. I see your point, to a point. But you've been railing against RCI for many years now and not against II or SFX, which do the same thing with rentals.

As the internet has educated people more about timesharing and resale pricing, developer sales have experienced a definite impact with higher rescission rates. I wonder if timresharing internet sites (like TUG) have made it too easy for Tuggers and Lurkers to learn to cherry-pick and upgrade through RCI and the result has impacted the ability of high-end resorts to get ready trades into other high-end resorts. Sometimes people complain about that and more so in recent years.

But here, we're seeing changes that may, over a little time, increase the availability of high-end trades for those with high-end deposits seeking them. It may take a year or more to see if this is a tangible result. I'm not going to be so quick to assume that these changes are truly all about increasing rental revenues. It still seems to me that the majority of rentals available at cheap prices are within the next couple of months. And that makes sense.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to look at a post I made on a UK timeshare site, on which I am a moderator, earlier today where I DID indeed call II out on that subject. The OP in that thread was a South African member of RCI who had just discovered RCI's rentals and was outraged. However, II does this in a MUCH more minor way than RCI.

I have seen RCI cheerleaders on timeshare boards unfairly claim DAE and Trading Places was doing the same as RCI, but that is just untrue. I really am not familiar enough with SFX to know if there is any truth to your contention there or not. One of my weeks would be accepted by SFX, so I may be checking them out before long.

You might also want to check the thread on this subject on Timeshare Forums where people who do very regular RCI searches have concluded that at least 10,000 weeks and probably more just disappeared when this ''enhancement'' was made. They didn't get more restricted, they just disappeared from the enchange system, and they were the more desirable weeks. RCI did something with them, and whatever it is clearly does not involve exchanging.

High-end is really only part of the picture. The real key is high DEMAND and low supply. Being high-end will indeed be one factor, but only one, on the demand side.

Once they try to micro manage a concept of "like for like", instead of treating it on a composite of factors, by slicing and dicing each aspect individually, it only helps one entity. That is not exchangers, but on the contrary the RCI rental pool because all it does is artificially create more ''excess'' to be rented. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

When you start looking at Weeks resorts that have nothing good or nothing at all for exchange but DO have it for rentals, then that tells the story of what is going on. We don't have to wait a year. We can see it now.

When RCI first started renting, the Seasons chain of timeshares in Europe jumped ship to II, and put out a well written explanation as to why in a special issue of their newsletter. They cited the number, already well into the thousands even then, of RCI rentals from their spacebank to the general public and said that combined with the preference for their points system, RCI would leave their weeks-based members (or mini-systems like Seasons) out in the cold. They verbally fired a withering broadside at RCI over these issues, and events have shown they were right on target.

Hm. I see your point, to a point. But you've been railing against RCI for many years now and not against II or SFX, which do the same thing with rentals.

As the internet has educated people more about timesharing and resale pricing, developer sales have experienced a definite impact with higher rescission rates. I wonder if timresharing internet sites (like TUG) have made it too easy for Tuggers and Lurkers to learn to cherry-pick and upgrade through RCI and the result has impacted the ability of high-end resorts to get ready trades into other high-end resorts. Sometimes people complain about that and more so in recent years.

But here, we're seeing changes that may, over a little time, increase the availability of high-end trades for those with high-end deposits seeking them. It may take a year or more to see if this is a tangible result. I'm not going to be so quick to assume that these changes are truly all about increasing rental revenues. It still seems to me that the majority of rentals available at cheap prices are within the next couple of months. And that makes sense.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is another non-points resort, Hotel Deutschmeister in Vienna, with a great location, 2 blocks outside the ring, in one of the world's great cities. Again compare rentals and exchanges. And look at the rental rates. If you are in the market for a rental, Rental Condominiums International comes through again! The rental price is below most timeshare owners m/f, without even considering the exchange fee.

meet your criteria Total Units Available: 14
Unit Type Max Occup
(Privacy) Kitchen Check-In Date Check-Out Date Price
Hotel 2 (2) No Kitchen 17-Oct-2009 24-Oct-2009 $440.99
Hotel 2 (2) No Kitchen 24-Oct-2009 31-Oct-2009 $440.99
Hotel 2 (2) No Kitchen 31-Oct-2009 07-Nov-2009 $440.99
Hotel 2 (2) No Kitchen 07-Nov-2009 14-Nov-2009 $440.99
Hotel 2 (2) No Kitchen 14-Nov-2009 21-Nov-2009 $440.99
Hotel 2 (2) No Kitchen 21-Nov-2009 28-Nov-2009 $440.99
Hotel 2 (2) No Kitchen 28-Nov-2009 05-Dec-2009 $440.99
Hotel 2 (2) No Kitchen 05-Dec-2009 12-Dec-2009 $440.99
Hotel 2 (2) No Kitchen 12-Dec-2009 19-Dec-2009 $440.99
Hotel 2 (2) No Kitchen 13-Nov-2010 20-Nov-2010 Exchange Fee Only
Hotel 2 (2) No Kitchen 08-Jan-2011 15-Jan-2011 Exchange Fee Only
Hotel 2 (2) No Kitchen 29-Jan-2011 05-Feb-2011 Exchange Fee Only
Hotel 2 (2) No Kitchen 12-Feb-2011 19-Feb-2011 Exchange Fee Only
Hotel 2 (2) No Kitchen 19-Feb-2011 26-Feb-2011 Exchange Fee Only
It is interesting to go to Expedia and check out this hotel. There is a calendar showing available dates color coded by expense. Suddenly when you get to October 17 through December 19, the dates are X'd out entirely (but not the dates prior to and immediately after). It would appear that what RCI is doing in this case is acting as a consolidator (buying a big block of rooms at a discount and then reselling them).

Are they rentals? Yes (but the source would appear to be from the hotel selling RCI a block of rooms). Should this make one think twice about owning? Yes? Is there something that says that RCI should not be playing the role of a consolidator and offering its members deep discounts in city locations????

Last edited:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your speculation is not on target. After the ''enhancement'', the rental units at this resort began in August. The better dates have been rented before I posted this. So much for your efforts to defend RCI, which seem to be something you frequently try to do.

It is interesting to go to Expedia and check out this hotel. There is a calendar showing available dates color coded by expense. Suddenly when you get to October 17 through December 19, the dates are X'd out entirely (but not the dates prior to and immediately after). It would appear that what RCI is doing in this case is acting as a consolidator (buying a big block of rooms at a discount and then reselling them).

Are they rentals? Yes (but the source would appear to be from the hotel selling RCI a block of rooms). Should this make one think twice about owning? Yes? Is there something that says that RCI should not be playing the role of a consolidator and offering its members deep discounts in city locations????

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's great for you, but my 2-bedroom silver crown red summer week can only exchange for 34 units in 8 resorts. Of those 8 resorts, 3 are silver crown and two are hospitality, and there are only two 2-bedrooms. None of that matters to me, because I'm not looking to go to Hawaii, just Orlando, which everyone says is one of the most overbuilt destinations. I don't expect DVC (I'm an owner so I don't need it). I just can't get Bonnet Creek, the one I really need, and I don't understand why. Yes, it's gold crown and I don't own gold crown, but I'd happily take a smaller unit. I can get every other Wyndham on the freakin' planet, so why did they take that one resort (the one I really, really want) away? Yes, I'm upset and whining about it. :annoyed:

Jamie, why not buy some Wyndham points off of Ebay (they're dirt cheap) and just book Bonnet Creek directly? We're DVC owners too, but we ended up adding a 203K point Wyndham point contract just so we could book Bonnet Creek. It's been well worth it. We paid like $1100 closed, and we've got enough points to play with for now. We like Bonnet Creek better than DVC right now, so it works for us.

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
Believe me, when you deposit your Foxrun with II, it will certainly recognize it as a lesser demand week than a beach week.

I own 2 summer weeks at Foxrun and they are excellent traders in II. I just got my 2010 Accomodations Certificates for both weeks:cheer: They have very strong trade power in II, so I have no complaints. I don't know if a beach week might be marginally better, but I see everything that I want to see (including loads of Marriott, and even Harborside Atlantis at times) so I'm not complaining!

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own 2 summer weeks at Foxrun and they are excellent traders in II. I just got my 2010 Accomodations Certificates for both weeks:cheer: They have very strong trade power in II, so I have no complaints. I don't know if a beach week might be marginally better, but I see everything that I want to see (including loads of Marriott, and even Harborside Atlantis at times) so I'm not complaining!

I can't speak for II, and this thread isn't about II (note the heading which says RCI-New strategies). In RCI a summer ocean front beach week has much higher trading power than a smokey mountain summer week or a summer week in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I can tell you this from experience as I own 4th of July in Gatlinburg and 4th of July in Banner Elk NC (all 2 bed 2 bath). My 4th of July mountain weeks aren't as strong a traders in RCI as non 4th of July weeks on the beach. Not only do the beach weeks have higher trading power (rightly so), the summer beach weeks rent for more money and they rent quicker and easier.

I currently STILL have a July week in Gatlinburg that hasn't rented, and my 4th of July week in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina and my 4th of July week in Gatlinburg both rented last minute for highly discounted prices (barely over MF's). My 2 bed room summer beach weeks I own rented for about the same price as last year (most for the same price as last year), and they rented farther in advance. I haven't had a summer 2 bed 2 bath beach week for rent since April and I already have 2 of them rented for next year with deposits paid. I have never had anyone want to reserve one of my 4th of July mountain weeks a year in advance (anyone reading this please feel free to be the first). Next year I will probably once again struggle to rent my mountain weeks unless the economy improves, and I will hopefully once again easily rent my summer beach weeks.

Demand can be determined many ways, but one of the best ways IMO is how well weeks rent, and what price they command. That is supply and demand actually working in a free market. This year I rented my 2 bed room summer (June, July) oceanfront beach weeks for 2 times or more what I rented my Summer Mountain weeks for. This year I rented a 4th of July in Gatlinburg for $x (discounted many times) and my Blue Ridge mountain 4th of July week (in a 2 bed 2 bath w/1400 sq feet and a loft) for $x plus a little more (also discounted several times). My 4th of July Beachfront Panhandle week rented for $x times 2.5. I don't care whether RCI or II is determining trading power, the summer ocean front beach week should be rated higher because it is harder to come by and will consistently rent for a lot more money.

In RCI summer beach weeks have higher trading value than Summer mountain weeks, and from my rental experiences RCI has the trading power correct.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Tombo, this thread has taken many turns. Foxrun was discussed, and with knowledge about Foxrun in II, some of us can say that RCI is not the place for Foxrun.

II gives more trading power to Foxrun than RCI does, plus bonus weeks for summer deposits, and that is my strategy for Foxrun. The entire point is that Foxrun summer weeks did see 166K weeks, and now it's dropped by about 30K weeks, since the enhancement. In II, Foxrun has superior trading power, and RCI took back the trading power for Foxrun.

So my new strategy is my old strategy: give II my Foxrun weeks. :)

Last edited:

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your speculation is not on target. After the ''enhancement'', the rental units at this resort began in August. The better dates have been rented before I posted this. So much for your efforts to defend RCI, which seem to be something you frequently try to do.
I am surprised that you didn't mention this when you responded to Mel who noted that there were no weeks during high demand time.

To me, the fact that the dates that you posted perfectly match those on which Expedia has no availability at that hotel (and these are the only dates for which that is so, none in August or September) still looks suspicious.

You may think that I am a supporter of RCI. I see myself as just an all around skeptic and fact checker. I don't think that is a bad thing. (My last post on this subject.)

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the time Mel commented the better weeks had already rented.

If you want to ''fact check'' you would be better off using a European booking site rather than an American-based booking site like Expedia. If you had checked Booking.com, a European-based site, for instance, you would find those Fall weeks that you couldn't find on Expedia.

I am surprised that you didn't mention this when you responded to Mel who noted that there were no weeks during high demand time.

To me, the fact that the dates that you posted perfectly match those on which Expedia has no availability at that hotel (and these are the only dates for which that is so, none in August or September) still looks suspicious.

You may think that I am a supporter of RCI. I see myself as just an all around skeptic and fact checker. I don't think that is a bad thing. (My last post on this subject.)

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tombo, this thread has taken many turns. Foxrun was discussed, and with knowledge about Foxrun in II, some of us can say that RCI is not the place for Foxrun.

II gives more trading power to Foxrun than RCI does, plus bonus weeks for summer deposits, and that my strategy for Foxrun. The entire point is that Foxrun summer weeks did see 166K weeks, and now it's dropped by about 30K weeks, since the enhancement. In II, Foxrun has superior trading power, and RCI took back the trading power for Foxrun.

So my new strategy is my old strategy: give II my Foxrun weeks. :)

For the reasons I stated above (less demand, lower rental prices) I think that RCI was right to lower Foxrun's and all summer southeastern mountain destination's trading power to lower than the trading power of summer beach weeks. If II hasn't done that then it is because they haven't researched it enough or because they have such limited availability in those areas that the demand in II for the summer mountains is higher.

II only has 12 Gatlinburg area resorts while RCI has 23. RCI has every Gatlinburg resort that II has except for Big Bear (looks nice), Westgate Smoky Mountains (nice resort), and Fox Run (not rated). RCI has Grande Crown Resorts, Holiday Inn Vacation Club, Sunrise Resort, and Wyndham Smoky montains along with 7 other resorts that you can't get with II. In the North carolina Mountains II only has 15 locations (all of which are available through RCI except Christie Village)). RCI has 18 resorts and the 2 Wyndhams, and Alpine Village are only available through RCI. While we are pointing out differences between RCI and II, the availability of resorts is another reason I like RCI better than II (yes both of my 4th of July mountain weeks are dually affiliated with both RCI and II).

If your Fox Run trading power is as good as a summer beach week with II, ride that pony as long as you can. RCI has lowered the trading power of these weeks as they rightfully should have. Not only are they summer mountain weeks (good demand but not the highest), they are at Foxrun which II awards no rating, and it is only rated hospitality by RCI. If Foxrun should easily trade for DVC and Gold Crown Hawaii (as some seem to believe), then my 4th of July Silver crown weeks should trade for anything that is available anywhere. After all 4th of July is the highest demand week in the summer and Silver crown is rated higher than Hospitality. Heck my weeks should pull 2 bed room Animal Kingdom summer weeks and HGVC Hawaii with ease. If Foxrun is a strong trader, then my 4th of July weeks should be tiger traders.

Why am I not outraged that my 4th of July Silver Crown doesn't pull everything that RCI has to offer? I am not outraged because I know which weeks are worth more in both rental value and in trade, and I am honest about the value whether I love a resort I own personally or not. The highest trading power resorts aren't and shouldn't be Foxrun, or in fact any summer southeastern mountain resort.

Last edited:

jamstew

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jamie, why not buy some Wyndham points off of Ebay (they're dirt cheap) and just book Bonnet Creek directly? We're DVC owners too, but we ended up adding a 203K point Wyndham point contract just so we could book Bonnet Creek. It's been well worth it. We paid like $1100 closed, and we've got enough points to play with for now. We like Bonnet Creek better than DVC right now, so it works for us.

I've thought about it, but if I bought points at a different Wyndham, wouldn't I still possibly have difficulty getting into Bonnet Creek?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I've thought about it, but if I bought points at a different Wyndham, wouldn't I still possibly have difficulty getting into Bonnet Creek?

No you wouldn't have any problem getting Bonnet Creek with Wyn points. BUT the cost of a summer 2 bedroom weeks is 224,000 points. I think that is a lot for summer. During some weeks of the fall, the points for a full week, 2 bedroom, is 112,000. Late August is about 189,000 points.

The resort is huge, so booking ahead is not a problem. Plus, last-minute availability is great, within 15 days of check-in, when people let reservations go to keep their points.

Tombo, I don't even know what to say. You and I both know that RCI shouldn't have downgraded our weeks after they were already in their system. It was wrong and goes against their, "trading power is set at the time of deposit," promise of a few months ago; something they said to us on the phone as we complained about the loss of trading power after the enhancements. RCI is so MESSED UP, they didn't even communicate to the guides that this was a deliberate decision to downgrade trading power across the board for just about everything.

As far as Foxun's desirability is concerned, we rented our Foxrun week 26 in 2008 for $995, and it was rented three months before check-in, within a day of posting the advertisement, and the ad received many additional inquiries. I could have rented that particular week 3 times over, at least. This year, I deposited that week with RCI for kicks, and got a DVC exchange with it, before the enhancement.

And II does have very few weeks available in the North Carolina mountains, near Asheville, which may be why they offer AC's. They also offer AC's for my Twin Rivers summer and ski weeks, and that is Colorado. I guess they are mistaken there too. ;) I guess II should re-evaluate and downgrade everything, too. :D

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
if I bought points at a different Wyndham, wouldn't I still possibly have difficulty getting into Bonnet Creek?
As Cindy mentions, it's generally very easy, unless you have your heart set on a 4BR unit---those can go before the Standard window opens. Also, if you want a holiday week, you might have to jump right on that 10-month window.

There are also some times when the BC point chart is inverted with respect to the other Orlando area resorts, and then the BC units go much more quickly. For example, Easter week this year was inexplicably Value season at Bonnet Creek, but Prime season at the others. Even so, I managed to get a 2BR at Bonnet when the Standard window opened.

jamstew

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd most often only need a 1BR, and never in the summer. :eek: I would, however, need weekends. My thought is to spend a few nights at BC either before or after 5 nights at DVC, usually in late April or early May, occasionally early December. Can you bank/borrow like you can with Disney?

This may need to be moved to the Wyndham board, which I should probably be studying :eek:

lawgs

Reaction score
We were told at an "update"

As Cindy mentions, it's generally very easy, unless you have your heart set on a 4BR unit---those can go before the Standard window opens. Also, if you want a holiday week, you might have to jump right on that 10-month window.

There are also some times when the BC point chart is inverted with respect to the other Orlando area resorts, and then the BC units go much more quickly. For example, Easter week this year was inexplicably Value season at Bonnet Creek, but Prime season at the others. Even so, I managed to get a 2BR at Bonnet when the Standard window opened.

we were told at an update while we were there on an exchange last october, that the "value" season at Bonnet Creek in the spring was a "mistake" that was missed, which cannot be changed NOW, thus, the peculiar point total for what should be PRIME season/Spring Break for others

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, it could be changed---BC is a UDI resort. As long as the point totals for each declared unit don't change for a calendar year, they could easily fix this by promoting the Easter week, and demoting something else.

Jamie: at WBC, it seems that the 4BRs go first, then 3BRs, then 1BRs, then 2BRs last.

You can bank/borrow, but there are restrictions. The Wyndham Primer will give you the details. In most things, the Wyndham system is a little more complicated than DVC.

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
N

As far as Foxun's desirability is concerned, we rented our Foxrun week 26 in 2008 for $995, and it was rented three months before check-in, within a day of posting the advertisement, and the ad received many additional inquiries. I could have rented that particular week 3 times over, at least. This year, I deposited that week with RCI for kicks, and got a DVC exchange with it, before the enhancement.

And II does have very few weeks available in the North Carolina mountains, near Asheville, which may be why they offer AC's. They also offer AC's for my Twin Rivers summer and ski weeks, and that is Colorado. I guess they are mistaken there too. ;) I guess II should re-evaluate and downgrade everything, too. :D

Hey I got $995 for my Blue Ridge Village week in 2008 too and $899 for both of my Gatlinburg weeks. You should have tried to rent your Fox Run week in 2009, it has been a whole different story. I would gladly have taken $799 this year for either week, but it was take less or bank it. However for the most part my summer beach weeks have rented for about the same in 2008 as 2009, but many have not rented until very close to check-in. As I said I have deposits on 2 of my 2010 summer weeks which is something I have never had offered on a Smoky Mountain week or a Blue Ridge mountain week ever.

I don't have a good deposit week right now (it only shows 122,000), but in June and July 2010 I can see 17 available weeks in the NC mountains. There are 118 total weeks available from March to September using my available trade. March has 2 silver crown resorts and 2 hospitality rated wyndham resorts available.April has a hospitality resort . May has 3 hospitality resorts and 1 silver crown . July one hospitality resort.available.
March 2010 [26]
April 2010 [28]
May 2010 [27]
June 2010 [9]
July 2010 [8]
August 2010 [7]
September 2010 [8]

On the Florida Panhandle which also has 15 resorts I can see NONE in June and only 5 in July for a total of 5 available weeks in June and July. The 5 available units are all in a non rated resort on the bay. In fact there is not an oceanfront unit available on the panhandle using the same deposit in April,May,June, July, or August 2010, and only one oceanfront is available in march, one in April, and only 2 in September are available. Of the 4 oceanfront weeks available from March through September, none are located in a Hospitality or higher rated resort, and none are available in the summer months.

Total availability April through Sept 2010;

-- Florida
---- Florida Panhandle

Check-In Month

March 2010 [17]
April 2010 [13]
May 2010 [16]
July 2010 [5]
August 2010 [14]
September 2010 [8]

The NC mountains has limited inventory in the summer and should trade well, but not like the Florida panhandle which has zero oceanfront units available from April to August using my trade. As hard as the oceanfront panhandle trade is to get, a deposited summer oceanfront panhandle week should not have the trading power of a DVC, a prime Hawaii resort, places like St Johns, Aruba, and St Thomas where inventory is really limited and demand is high. I don't think my weeks are as hard to get as some others, so when I can't get one of those it is simply what I expected when started the search. However when I do get one of those that is more valuable than what I deposited, it is reason to celebrate.

Last edited:

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
There, I disagree. Foxrun still gets ACs, still trades very well. II has a different resort distribution than RCI. II seems to have a disproportionate membership in FL, with folks who like to visit the (southern) Smoky and Blue Ridge Mountains and their resort availability in NC and TN is very limited. So Foxrun trades very well in II. :(

I get an AC for my Marriott Summit Watch in Park city also, but like I said it is a mediocre trader. So if Foxrun is a tiger in II, enjoy it. Because if you can trade into Marriotts and all sorts of great resorts at prime times when Foxrun is not even a rated resort, there is for sure a glitch in the II system. Even with the Marriott preference, I cannot trade into highly demanded Marriott weeks even with an ongoing search.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have no idea what season you own, but if you own a prime summer or ski week, perhaps it is a glitch in II on your side.

You will rarely see a summer week in II for the Asheville area. There is a demand index in II's catalog, it's worth a look, if you haven't seen it. The area Foxrun is located, even spring and fall weeks, has very high demand.

I get an AC for my Marriott Summit Watch in Park city also, but like I said it is a mediocre trader. So if Foxrun is a tiger in II, enjoy it. Because if you can trade into Marriotts and all sorts of great resorts at prime times when Foxrun is not even a rated resort, there is for sure a glitch in the II system. Even with the Marriott preference, I cannot trade into highly demanded Marriott weeks even with an ongoing search.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
we were told at an update while we were there on an exchange last october, that the "value" season at Bonnet Creek in the spring was a "mistake" that was missed, which cannot be changed NOW, thus, the peculiar point total for what should be PRIME season/Spring Break for others

Easter isn't always in April, it is sometimes mid-March.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Makes sense to me!

I don't think my weeks are as hard to get as some others, so when I can't get one of those it is simply what I expected when started the search. However when I do get one of those that is more valuable than what I deposited, it is reason to celebrate.

I guess that's why we're not rattled by what has happened with RCI. :rolleyes:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it were a pure exchange system, I would have no quarrel with tweaking of the trading power. However, when the exchange company is puting its hand in our pocket to take out inventory to rent to the general public, it creates a massive conflict of interest. They profit from screwing us on trading power because the result is more ''excess'' for them to rent out. This is the one of the biggest evils of an exchange company renting from exchange deposits and something that I have pointed out since RCI got into the rental business years ago. As people who regularly search specific areas over at TS4Ms have discovered, the missing inventory, in excess of 10,000 or the best weeks has not just been restricted to other timesharers. It is just GONE from the system since RCI's ''enhancement'' which was enhancing their rental program while screwing their dues paying exchange members. The Seasons chain in Europe was right on target when they predicted where this rental crap would lead and jumped ship to II to get away from it.

From what I am seeing from RCI, there are some decent rental opportunities, decent enough for me to extend my membership, something I had not planned to do. But it is getting more worthless and dishonset by the day as an exchange company. RCI is fine for rentals but lousy for exchanges.

When a prime summer week in southern England at a high demand resort regularly cannot trade for anything in spring, summer, or fall anywhere in England, yet there are rentals availible from RCI, something is very badly wrong with RCI. And it can be summed up in one word, R-E-N-T-A-L-S.

jamstew

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jamie: at WBC, it seems that the 4BRs go first, then 3BRs, then 1BRs, then 2BRs last.

You can bank/borrow, but there are restrictions. The Wyndham Primer will give you the details. In most things, the Wyndham system is a little more complicated than DVC.

Thanks, Brian. Where can I find the Wyndham Primer?