• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI changes= New strategies?

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Paying to be screwed? Hmmmm

while screwing their dues paying exchange members.

From what I am seeing from RCI, there are some decent rental opportunities, decent enough for me to extend my membership, something I had not planned to do.

I have to say I'm quite amazed to hear you're extending an RCI membership. You are and have been one of the most vocal RCI bashers on TUG.

I keep hearing this endlessly. Folks complaining and moaning and on and on and on; but yet they still remain members of RCI.

Seems to me, somebody's getting something out of this relationship or why continue it......paying to be screwed? :confused:

cancun dish

TUG Member
Reaction score
actually gained trading power

One of my weeks actually gained about 45,000 weeks available to it. I can not imagine I am the only one who gained. The total number of weeks that I can see is greater than my highest trading power can see.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have to say I'm quite amazed to hear you're extending an RCI membership. You are and have been one of the most vocal RCI bashers on TUG.

I keep hearing this endlessly. Folks complaining and moaning and on and on and on; but yet they still remain members of RCI.

Seems to me, somebody's getting something out of this relationship or why continue it......paying to be screwed? :confused:

I think Carolinian is being sarcastic, because the rental program has more weeks, and at good prices.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jamie: the Wyndham primer can be found here. You may have to sign up to download it.

forums.atozed.com

Scroll down to the section entitled "Fairfield / Wyndham Primer". As of this post, the current version is version 2.

rachel1998

Reaction score
I recently deposited 2 weeks for July 4th week next year. I usually can get anything I want because they are on the California Coast. I can't pull anything so far with these weeks. I wish I hadn't deposited them with RCI. Next time I will not do that.

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
From what I am seeing from RCI, there are some decent rental opportunities, decent enough for me to extend my membership, something I had not planned to do. But it is getting more worthless and dishonset by the day as an exchange company. RCI is fine for rentals but lousy for exchanges.

When a prime summer week in southern England at a high demand resort regularly cannot trade for anything in spring, summer, or fall anywhere in England, yet there are rentals availible from RCI, something is very badly wrong with RCI. And it can be summed up in one word, R-E-N-T-A-L-S.

Carolinian, why would you extend your membership after saying nothing good about RCI for ages? If I felt like you say you feel, I would quit in protest. Surely you should at least quit on principle.

I am reminded of people who complain about their job day after day, talking about how much more money they should be making, how much better other employers treat their employees, how their company couldn't make it without them, but they never seem to QUIT their job and go somewhere else where it is better.

Why are you CONTINUING TO PAY for RCI? This is the company you describe as a horrible, week stealing, owner inventory renting, supposed exchange company which is in reality nothing more than a rental company where you can NEVER GET A DECENT EXCHANGE. Yet you EXTEND YOUR MEMBERSHIP? You can't have it both ways if you are honest. It is either a horrible company you refuse to give another dollar of your money to and which you quit, or else they are a company which gives good value for the money they charge so you remain a paying member.

Your constant RCI slamming says that you think RCI is a company that no one should deal with, but rather than quitting, you pay them to extend your membership. So in reality your actions show that you personally feel that RCI is worth the money they charge to be a member. I would think that one would slow down on the anti RCI posts until they actually dislike RCI enough to no longer be a paying member, much less a member who just admitted that they payed to extend their membership in the same post that they were complaining about RCI.

Last edited:

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
One of my weeks actually gained about 45,000 weeks available to it. I can not imagine I am the only one who gained. The total number of weeks that I can see is greater than my highest trading power can see.

I had 2 weeks deposited with RCI when they did the enhancement. One of my deposited weeks increased in the number of weeks I can see, and the other decreased. I assume that many other people had weks increase in value too, but as in anything the upset people are always more vocal.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The total number of weeks that I can see is greater than my highest trading power can see.
This can happen due to VEP. If you have a week with high trade power but high VEP, there are some weeks with lower demand but also lower quality you won't be able to see. If you have a week with lower trade power but also lower VEP, then that deposit can see such "lesser" weeks that the "better" deposit can't.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gee that's a term I haven't seen on TUG for a long time. Some years ago, people here were being characterized here as either ''RCI apologists'' or ''RCI bashers''. I hope we are not going back to those days.

I have nothing per se against RCI as a company, but I do have quite a bit of concern about the customer-unfriendly and self-serving policies they have adopted since the Cendent takeover of RCI. When Cristel DeHaan was running the show and RCI was an independent company, they created what was the greatest timeshare exchange company that has ever existed. Unfortunately, they have been marching steadily backward since Cendent came on the scene. I would love to see RCI get back to its old self.

It has sometimes been amusing to debate some of the RCI ''deniers'' on these boards, the ones who always see anything RCI does through rose-colored glasses. I remember when the Seasons timeshare chain newsletter came out announcing they were jumping ship to II, and several Tuggers noted that what Seasons managment was saying about the dangers of rentals and points were exactly what I had been warning about for months. I was even accused of writing that newsletter. I also remember when I was the very first one on TUG to point out that RCI was going to go into the rental business to the general public. It was a simple matter of analysis and common sense. RCI was just rolling out GPN, which became RCI Points, and in a TUG moderated chat presided over by Fern, RCI was asked what they would do with the timeshare weeks they got in exchange for points partners exchanges and they responded that they would use them to introduce new people to timesharing. I immediately saw that as a euphemism for rentals to the public, especially since RCI would have to pay in some way for what they gave people in points partner exchanges. Some of the deniers jumped me on that and said absolutely not, RCI would never, NEVER, be renting our timeshare inventory to the general public. Their knee jerk defense of RCI in the face of the obvious was astounding, but it was not long that RCI acknowledged they were renting. One of those deniers who was probably the most argumentative on this issue of rentals at that juncture is still at it, and has even posted in the threads about RCI's most recent changes, still blindly defending anything RCI does.

In dealing with RCI into the future, one really has to seperate their rental side from their exchange side. Yes, they are unreliable on the exchange side, and the response until that changes is not to give them any deposits. But one also has to consider their rental side, which at least at present offers good value in many but not all cases. The solution is to change strategies to use them where they still provide good value, which is rentals. At this point, I do not know how to do that at the best value without continuing on as a member. That does not mean I approve of what they are doing with exchanges. I certainly do not. It just means I don't hate the company and as long as they offer good value on a fair number of rentals that I would use, I don't mind continuing to use them for that limited purpose.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Yes, I agree with Carolinian. It is a waste of good money to have a blue week in RCI right now, if you pay anything more than $200 in maintenance fees, because you can rent anything RCI will give you for about that much money, especially for what I can get for my blue weeks.

I pay $480 in fees for my blue weeks and get exchanges in the fall for Orlando. There are lots of Last Call vacations that would be just fine with me, and I could take two of those for the price of one of my blue weeks + exchange fee. You can actually rent a week from RCI for a little over the exchange fee, when you wait until the last minute, so why do I own blue weeks for that purpose? I am no longer going that route with my weeks.

My blue weeks see 117K available units this morning, but for some reason, I can no longer see the good stuff at 45 days or less, the way I did before the "enhancement." I used to see last-minute stuff in Gold Crowns for Hawaii. And before the enhancement, my weeks saw fewer exchanges. So should I be celebrating because the blue weeks had an increase in trading power? I see nothing that I couldn't see before.

I am not a person who is just starting the exchange game, and I am sure tired of having people act like I don't know anything about it. I will admit Brian knows more than me. :D

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked the question on a UK-based site if people over there were also seeing some of the same things that Tuggers are, and the answer so far is Yes. Availibility is noticibly down.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a former HOA board member to a current HOA board member, I think you will share my concern that RCI is continuing to destroy any exchange value a blue week has had, and as more members figure this out, they will start bailing out of these weeks. Many of their changes, beginning with opening weeks last minute inventory to points members and renting last minute inventory to the general public which has rendered the 45 day window continuously less useful, have already led some off season owners to bail out. The challenge for HOA's will be to find non-exchange markets for these weeks or to sell them to people who use other exchange companies. Unfortunately, there are too many HOA's who simply do not comprehend what RCI is sending down the pike at them.

Personally, it has been years since I have owned a blue week. Through TUG, I found enough channels to buy prime red weeks cheap, and when you know how to do that, who needs to own blue.

Yes, I agree with Carolinian. It is a waste of good money to have a blue week in RCI right now, if you pay anything more than $200 in maintenance fees, because you can rent anything RCI will give you for about that much money, especially for what I can get for my blue weeks.

I pay $480 in fees for my blue weeks and get exchanges in the fall for Orlando. There are lots of Last Call vacations that would be just fine with me, and I could take two of those for the price of one of my blue weeks + exchange fee. You can actually rent a week from RCI for a little over the exchange fee, when you wait until the last minute, so why do I own blue weeks for that purpose? I am no longer going that route with my weeks.

My blue weeks see 117K available units this morning, but for some reason, I can no longer see the good stuff at 45 days or less, the way I did before the "enhancement." I used to see last-minute stuff in Gold Crowns for Hawaii. And before the enhancement, my weeks saw fewer exchanges. So should I be celebrating because the blue weeks had an increase in trading power? I see nothing that I couldn't see before.

I am not a person who is just starting the exchange game, and I am sure tired of having people act like I don't know anything about it. I will admit Brian knows more than me. :D

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, Steve, we have over 100 blue weeks at Twin Rivers that have no owners, so we are going to let people use them, Right to Use, for much less than maintenance fees.

This is an idea PA-(TUG member name, who is on the board with me) had, and I think it is a good one. Believe it or not, we are going to have weeks for less than half of the maintenance fees that regular owners pay. :eek: This seems contrary to owners' best interests in a way, but then again, at least we will get something for those weeks.

What do you do when the exchange companies devalue what you own so much, you have to resort to these measures?

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Let's See -- How Can We Equalize Values Of Low & High Season Weeks ?

What do you do when the exchange companies devalue what you own so much, you have to resort to these measures?
What about switching the timeshare to points ?

I mean, in addition to all the real & perceived faults of the points system, it also has the virtue of compensating for the unequal values of prime season & mid-season & off-season by assigning lower points values to off-season weeks & higher values to in-demand weeks.

Points are points, no ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about switching the timeshare to points ?

I mean, in addition to all the real & perceived faults of the points system, it also has the virtue of compensating for the unequal values of prime season & mid-season & off-season by assigning lower points values to off-season weeks & higher values to in-demand weeks.

Points are points, no ?

In some states, it would not be legal to charge different m/f's for different weeks of the year. Even where it is legal under state law, it would not be likely to pass the members vote. Any scheme to charge different weeks different m/f's would require amending the Declaration of Covenants, something that generally requires a high supermajority that is almost impossible to get. At one of my resorts, there was discussion of charging a different m/f based on size of unit, rather than all the same. That would be fair, but there is absolutely no way it would have gotten the supermajority to be adopted so it was shelved.

Points systems emphasis the low value of off season weeks even more, and therefore can lead to greater bailout.

No, the solution is to find markets other than exchange. Some resorts market to local residents with the main appeal being yearround use of facilities. Some UK resorts have done that. OBBC I and II on the NC Outer Banks have had a good bit of success with that stategy. Seascape, which is adjacent to a golf course where owners (but not exchangers) get free golf, has had a good amount of success in selling off season weeks to golfers. Ocean Villas noticed that duck hunting season coincided with the lowest timeshare season and realized that there were a good number of duck blinds a short drive away, so they have done some off season marketing to duck hunters. There are often markets for own-to-use people out there, and it is just a matter of finding them. Owners are more stable for a resort's finances than wondering if they will get a rental. RCI's changes in the way it runs its exchange business should have every thinking HOA looking to mostly an own-to-use resale market. And to the extent they also appeal to exchangers, they need to promote independent exchange companies which work better with HOA's without kicking the props out from under them like RCI has been doing.

I traded through RCI into a rather large resort in the UK a few years ago and for curiousity walked into their resale office just to look at prices. I noticed the only exchange company posters on the wall were for II. The person running the office volunteered that since points had come in, RCI exchanges had gotten squirrelly, told a couple of points-related horror stories from members of that resort, and then said for exchange, the best bet was II, or even DAE. I was a bit surprised, but this resale office was doing exactly what it should do. Selling to people for RCI exchanges is building on quicksand these days. That is one resort that somehow I am not surprised that I see a whole lot less availibility online with RCI than I used to see.

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
New Strategy

OK. So after reading through this thread, and having been a member on and off TUG for many years, I think my new strategy will be as Carolinian says: Deposit my Dikhololo weeks with a smaller timeshare company (any advice on which one?) and just use my RCI membership to rent weeks. Thank goodness I sold my great Hawaii and London weeks a couple of years ago!

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a former HOA board member to a current HOA board member, I think you will share my concern that RCI is continuing to destroy any exchange value a blue week has had, and as more members figure this out, they will start bailing out of these weeks.
Anyone with any relationship with a seasonal resort probably needs to worry about this. However, it's probably fair to say that, in the "old days", those weeks were getting more value than they "should have" if you truly believed in "like for like".

The fact is simply that many of these weeks have negative value---they cost more to own than they could ever be worth to anyone. Dealing with these is a hard question, to say the least, becuase in some sense the offseason owners are subsidizing the in-season ones. Some resorts (I know of a few in Michigan) bundle weeks in packages on a single deed, so that, for example, you have to own one offseason week (or more) for each high-season week you own.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quite the contrary. The market within the exchange system determines what a week is worth. If it is still on the shelf for an off season week to take, then it probably wasn't worth what someone imagined. The problem is when external forces, like widespread rentals by the exchange company distort the internal exchange market. It is the market that determines what is ''like'' in an exchange system without external distortions not someone's arbitary notions about what something is worth.

For years, what really made off season weeks viable in the exchange market was the 45 day window, when essentially any week could get any week that was left. That made market sense, as anything still in the spacebank then had a limited shelf life and an inherently lower value. It was distressed inventory. In the travel industry, it is not uncommon to discount such inventory. Members however did not think of this and had the illusion they were getting a really good trade. RCI did two things that dried up the 45 day window and resorts started seeing bailouts. One was to open the Weeks 45 day window to Points members, when RCI does not discount short term Points inventory for Weeks or Points members. The other was to start renting 45 day inventory to the general public. Both of these things resulted in less availibility in the 45 day window.

The other illusion that was out there for blue week members is that Weeks exchanging was indeed based on like for like, but real world supply / demand like for like, not based on season colors or size, which sometimes don't make a difference. The key here is the overbuilt areas, nice areas but just way too much supply in the system. To make matters worse, some of the overbuilt areas are arbitrarily assigned as red all year, like Orlando and the Canary Islands. These areas are in fact really seasonal even if on the surface it doesn't look like it. Check out the RCI availibility tables on Orlando, for example (published in the European version of the RCI directory) if you don't think timeshare there is highly seasonal. When a blue week trades into some of this ''phony red'' then in the context of supply / demand curves, it is indeed a like for like exchange although the member doesn't realize that but see they got a ''red'' week and think they got a great deal. Hurricane season in the Caribbean is another example of a real off seaon that is still on most islands threoretically red but is a true like for like exchange with a blue week.

You might also be surprised to know that on the OBX, the majority of off season weeks are owned by own-to-use people, not exchangers. Even so, if the roughly one third of exchange owners this season bailed out all at once, then it was have a severe impact on resort finances. In talking with resort managers in Germany and France, I was also told that a substantial majority of their off seaon owners were own-to-use people not exchangers. There is a market out there and that is what the resorts need to concentrate on, not the quicksand of RCI exchangers in this period.

Anyone owning at a resort with an off season - whether designated red or blue - should indeed be concerned that your HOA is on top of this issue and figuring out a strategy to deal with it. RCI set up resorts for this problem and then pulled the rug out from under them. For years, the RCI promotional materials used by developed really hyped the ability to trade blue weeks for anything in the system during the 45 day window and many people bought these weeks for that purpose. Now RCI deliberately depletes that inventory through giving it to Points people and renters from the general public.

Anyone with any relationship with a seasonal resort probably needs to worry about this. However, it's probably fair to say that, in the "old days", those weeks were getting more value than they "should have" if you truly believed in "like for like".

The fact is simply that many of these weeks have negative value---they cost more to own than they could ever be worth to anyone. Dealing with these is a hard question, to say the least, becuase in some sense the offseason owners are subsidizing the in-season ones. Some resorts (I know of a few in Michigan) bundle weeks in packages on a single deed, so that, for example, you have to own one offseason week (or more) for each high-season week you own.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Should Not Be A Problem.

In some states, it would not be legal to charge different m/f's for different weeks of the year.
No problem.

Tax'em all the same.

Charge'm all the same maintenance fees.

Then assign'm all variable points values according to the primeness of the demand seasons of the respective weeks.

I mean, shux, something like that is already being done via the Red-White-Blue hierarchy of demand-season color-coding. So it's hard to imagine any administrative or quasi-legal barrier to formalizing something along the same lines via points valuation, which after all is out there in the open for everyone to see, right or wrong, unlike the vague & mysterious Trade Power formula of Red & White & Blue weeks that is known only to the back-room gnomes of RCI.

Problem solved.

Case closed.

Ready for the next case.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

What resort area isn't seasonal? Every one of them has a slow season. We are fortunate in Colorado, because we have a lot of weeks that are red (yes, many are on the pink side of red), specifically all weeks 47-52, 1-15, and 21-39 are red in RCI. We have two maintenance weeks, and that leaves just six fall and four spring weeks, ten total weeks that RCI considers blue. That isn't as bad as some, not as good as Florida or Hawaii, certainly. Florida has a hurricane season, too.

Right now, RCI will take any red (even pink) week as PFD for full value. I expect that to change soon, especially after looking at the new points grid, and when that changes, I wonder how RCI is going to explain away the decision to value some red weeks as higher than other red weeks. I suppose they won't even try.

I think people forget that Colorado has a high demand summer season. It's odd when people talk about how Colorado summer has more inventory than demand. I am somewhat of an expert in Colorado demand, owning 8 weeks and studying trading power of our weeks for over 25 years, which are good and which aren't in RCI, dumping those weeks into PFD when they aren't working for us as weeks. Our Val Chatelle summer weeks are on a fixed rotation, changing every year, so I get to experience every possible exchange power from very high to fair. It's so drastic between weeks, and that is why I deposit when nothing is available for exchange, whatever week I am depositing. Then I test the trading power, either with the guide or on my own, and I usually have great results.

By the way, all of that inventory you see in Pagosa Springs and Estes Park in winter, not at all close to ski areas, and the only desirable season is really summer in those areas. Very hard to get summer at Ram's Horn Village, Estes Park, in RCI. Pagosa, hard to get summer, but lots of spring and fall weeks always available for exchange. I looked when Tombo kept posting availability in Colorado, and I would say not much red. Sure, RCI and II lump all of Colorado into those categories, but that doesn't make those desirable seasons for every single resort area in Colorado. Estes Park has far more weeks that are blue than red.

As far as Twin Rivers is concerned, I would like to see it cease to exist as a timeshare and sell it as a whole-owned condo complex. It has so few amenities, and the units seem more like condos than a resort property. I wish we could just do it tomorrow, and so does Philip, but dissolving a timeshare requires 100% cooperation from the owners, and some people are very attached to their weeks, so they won't go for it. The 3 bedroom units would easily sell for $220K furnished, in this market. Some owners paid over $15K for their single ski weeks. There is no way to give them back what they think their weeks are worth.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In Colorado it is okay to charge lesser maintenance fees for weeks, but our HOA by-laws may need to be changed because they state that each unit pays the same share.

Alan, RCI won't allow any non-rated resort to be in RCI points at this time. But Twin Rivers works very well as PFD.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Apparently Some Non-Rated Timeshares Are More Equal Than Others.

RCI won't allow any non-rated resort to be in RCI points at this time.
My dinky points timeshare in the USA heartland is standard grade (i.e., non-rated).

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My dinky points timeshare in the USA heartland is standard grade (i.e., non-rated).

RCI is not allowing any non-rated resorts into RCI Points--for the time being, anyway. I suppose they may change at some point, and it certainly seems to be the opposite of their past stance, that all resorts would eventually be converted to points. Perhaps PFD is here to stay, since RCI is determined to raise the level of Points Resorts.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
... and it certainly seems to be the opposite of their past stance, that all resorts would eventually be converted to points...
I am not sure that was ever their policy, but rather a scare tactic used by those opposed to points. Points came out at the same time that RCI was mulling over creating a premier club. I think that this is how they envisioned the program - greater benefits (at a price, of course).

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The market within the exchange system determines what a week is worth.
That's a sweet sentiment, but it's wrong. The rental market determines what a week is truly worth. The days of closed-market exchange systems are over.

You might not like it (and I would be better off if it weren't true), but them's the facts. Accept it.