• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI costs continue to astound...

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
$124 is for an RCI points membership. No combine fee with points but unlike a weeks membership you can't just decide to opt out for a couple of years if you are using your home resort. You need to pay the fee every year or pull your unit out of rci points. There is a modest discount for purchasing multiple years but unlike weeks there is never any 2 for 1 year specials.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have never seen these before, but I am not sure how it differs from Extra Vacations. Seems to be a subset of EV. What am I missing?

You don't have to belong to RCI or even be a timeshare owner.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI

The first thing you need to ask is "Why is there a membership fee at all?" Other timeshare companies don't have them. Given the outrageous cost for their exchanges it is obviously corporate greed. Also consider members give them the properties to exchange for free. Then factor in the ridiculous extraneous fees they include and the asinine rules they. Set up to gouge you even more.

For these and probably a hundred other reasons, I long ago decided that RCI would not be my exchange company.

Topher

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What are some of the other/mini trading firms available? Which ones have anyone used with good success?

bobby

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm using up my deposits but will keep the membership for when the weeks I normally rent out rather than deposit aren't rented that year, maybe dry year in snow ski season, etc. Also, I'll use it for last minute deals. You can get good values there.

castleo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tahoe Beach & Ski, Polo Towers, Palm Canyon, 200,000 RCI points, other deposit
RCI Withdrawal

I am actually thinking of withdrawing some of my points timeshares from RCI. Then I would just schedule them directly with the resort and if I wanted to exchange them, deposit them with a reasonable exchange company. That should work--right?

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are some of the other/mini trading firms available? Which ones have anyone used with good success?

We've had good results with SFX (San Francisco Exchange), but they definitely seem to have more come available in some areas than in others. They've been quite nice to deal with, and have some "bonus thingies" that have worked well.

We're Shell Vacations Club (points) owners, and have enjoyed the Shell properties we've used. However there just aren't a whole lot of them in places we want to go, plus they're expensive compared to VRBO. So we have increasingly used our points before they expire to book Shell weeks, then bank them with SFX.....rather than go through the crap with I.I. And now Shell is switching to RCI? Frying pan into the fire? Sheesh !!!

------------------Zach

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

I have so far used DAE and Trading Places with no issues. I also belong via free memberships to SFX, Platinum Interchange and RTX, as well as VRI because one of my timeshares is affiliated with them.

Coach Boon

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seacrest Surf and Racquet ClubHilton Head
Recent RCI fees

I just went through the escalating fees with RCI. We have only 1 timeshare -weeks so we don't have access to the points only timeshares. It does limit availability.

Canadians pay an even higher fee due to the exchange rate. To exchange a week it costs $319. We had 2 weeks available which we used at the same time so that my sister's family could join us. So, we had to pay $319 for each week. It costs them nothing in doing 2 transactions at the same time. Fortunately we don't need the guest certificate.

They're slick on how they charge their fee because initially they charged $399. They did mention the insurance portion but I had to ask the amount. When I found out it was an extra $80, I cancelled it. I'm not worried about forfeiting my week.

This is definitely fee creep and it is become a major portion of the cost of exchanging and paying MF.

I've booked one week with DAE to test those waters.

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
DAE: Free, Easy to deposit, Hard to find specialty resorts

I have so far used DAE and Trading Places with no issues. I also belong via free memberships to SFX, Platinum Interchange and RTX, as well as VRI because one of my timeshares is affiliated with them.

DAE seems great to use. It's very simple to deposit a fixed week you can't use. When I gave my Wyndham unit is Arkansas back to the Association, the effective date was after my week, so I deposited the week. All it took was a phone call or two and maybe an email.

But when I wanted to find a week in exchange, things were not so easy. Suppose, like me, you wanted a resort that a specialty like one of these:
  • Golf
  • Tennis
  • Horseback riding
  • Bicycles and paths
  • Snorkeling
  • Clothing-Optional
  • Oceanfront
Suppose you didn't care where you golfed. You just wanted a new course. It didn't matter whether you golfed in Texas or South Dakota or anywhere else in the Americas.

You would have to search all 50 states, all the Canadian provinces, and all the Central America and South American countries, then go to the website for each available property to see if golf was an amenity. And then you would have to do the searches over for each successive week.

If your desired specialty is one of the less popular ones, like horseback or clothing optional, you could spend days checking out your options.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll be looking for a DAE thread or creating one to continue this discussion.

rodwalsh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mini-system

I've seen "mini'system" mention a few times - what is it and are there any links.

Thank you,
Rod

Like many others, I have dropped RCI completely. It just got too expensive for what I got out of it. I also use II much less than I used to, and I may not renew when my membership expires next year.

I have decided...after having owned, exchanged, and stayed in dozens of timeshares...that it now makes sense to own only where I consistently like to vacation or in a mini system. When I want to go other places, I'll either rent a timeshare or stay in a hotel. Cash is the ultimate points system.

Also, as Doug mentioned, I like to take my dog on vacation with me. The fact that so few timeshares allow pets has tipped the scales away from timeshare exchanges for me. I'd rather stay in a hotel with my dog than in a timeshare without her.

Steve

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I've seen "mini'system" mention a few times - what is it and are there any links.

Thank you,
Rod

Mini-systems are the likes of Wyndham, Marriott, DRI, HGVC, etc. They have internal exchange system, usually using points, where you can stay at other resorts within their system. Some have fees, some do not.

flybefree

TUG Member
Reaction score
While I don't like the price hikes in the exchange fees over the past several years, especially since they have made very few improvements to the Web site and it's buggy as hell, I'm still getting a great value out of my RCI membership. My resort has high trading power, both in the weeks and points systems (I own an annual in points and an EOY odd week at the same resort) with a low MF. I can get 2-3 vacations out of each deposit, sometimes more with last-minute or off-season deals.

I hadn't originally planned to be a points owner, but when I bought my first TS, the previous owners had converted it into points and the reseller didn't even know until the previous year's usage was transferred to me (they gave us a free year, which got me a 2BR in Bavaria during Oktoberfest, a 2 BR in Sedona in June, and more than half the points needed for a studio in Honolulu over spring break). I was going to switch it back until I saw how much I could get out of my points membership, so I kept it that way, and the friend who told me about this resort gave me her EOY week.

Some resorts are cheaper in the points system, and others are cheaper in the weeks system. And some are only available in points. My husband and I are going to NYC, staying at the West 57th Grand Hilton, for four nights this September during the second week of the US Open (which is why we're going)....our total cost for the booking fee and value of the points? $310!! This place goes for $500 a night.

I also snagged a hard-to-get-into TS on the eastern side of Paris for the first week of the French Open next May. Our cost is less than $650 for the week, and I used slightly more than half my TPUs.

Personally, I'd love to own a Marriott because the properties are consistently fantastic, but the MFs go up quite a bit every year. I know enough people who own with Marriott that I can rent theirs for a particular property if they're so inclined. We're planning to move to Europe and RCI has a wide selection there. A lot of crappy ones, but a lot of great ones too. We wouldn't be able to afford to travel like we do if we couldn't exchange, and we're still saving a lot of money despite RCI's fees. The value can't be beat if you get a high trading power for a low MF. Of 4 rentals through Airbnb and 1 through HomeAway, only one was really great. Another was ok, one was barely acceptable, and two were horrible (one we left after one night; the other we couldn't, despite a psycho owner, because we were at a tennis tourney all day every day and had no time to move) (Yes, we travel a lot for tennis! LOL).

I always want to go somewhere new, so for now, RCI is working really well for me. I hate it when the booking fee is lost if you've canceled; we've had to suck that up once so far. That's BS. They should give at least a 50% credit toward your next booking.

At some point, I might prefer to go stay at one place every year, and if so, I'll buy at that resort (resale, of course!) and stop exchanging. It would certainly make travel planning easier. But for now, I'm loving it.

JuliGee

Reaction score
We've had good results with SFX (San Francisco Exchange), but they definitely seem to have more come available in some areas than in others. They've been quite nice to deal with, and have some "bonus thingies" that have worked well.

We're Shell Vacations Club (points) owners, and have enjoyed the Shell properties we've used. However there just aren't a whole lot of them in places we want to go, plus they're expensive compared to VRBO. So we have increasingly used our points before they expire to book Shell weeks, then bank them with SFX.....rather than go through the crap with I.I. And now Shell is switching to RCI? Frying pan into the fire? Sheesh !!!

------------------Zach

We stopped using RCI and II quite a few years ago, and have been using SFX with mostly good success. We started with their free gold membership. Your exchange fee is due if they confirm you. Because of our increase in vacations each year, we thought we would get better value out of their Diamond membership, so we upgraded. If you are only getting away for just a week or two each year, then you are better off just keeping the free gold membership.

Juli

stonebroke

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple ways to do this.

I am actually thinking of withdrawing some of my points timeshares from RCI. Then I would just schedule them directly with the resort and if I wanted to exchange them, deposit them with a reasonable exchange company. That should work--right?

It sounds like you may be keeping your RCI Points account since you are only withdrawing "some" of your resorts. If you want to some day return them to RCI points then you would have to notify your resort and RCI at least 13 months in advance that you are going to be using your own week this year...then you would be free to deposit it somewhere else or use it yourself. If you close your RCI points account and pull them out...they revert to being regular weeks and if you would ever want to put them back into RCI points you would have to pay the fee to the resort to convert them back...but you would be free to deposit those for trading purposes with another trading organization or even RCI weeks.

BigRedOne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve owned at Roark in Branson since the early 80’s when there weren’t any other timeshares in Branson and when RCI was RCI. When Fairfield (Wyndham) bought RCI it took a nose dive pretty quick and got kind’v expensive. But I have kept up my RCI membership mostly out of fear that I won’t find what I want without it. That being said I have had some pretty fantastic trades through RCI and I think I have gotten pretty good value, you just need to learn to work the system.
I think when Fairfield started the points system it devalued RCI. Now I know that there are those of you out there that would argue about the points but it really was easier and cheaper to get good quality resorts (and better selection) before the points system came along. I am looking at retiring in about three years and when I do that I probably will drop RCI and just use my timeshare in Branson every year.

Tjim1972

TUG Member
Reaction score
We pretty much dropped out of RCI quite a few years ago. A good part of it was the cost of exchanging. When we first got involved we got RCI membership for $59 per year, and domestic exchanges were $79. A few years later costs had nearly doubled.

We decided it was much easier to give the join a mini-system that had resorts in places we wanted to visit, essentially swapping the RCI membership fee for the added cost of membership in the mini. But with the mini it's far easier to get what we want and make travel plans, instead of hoping for an exchange. Plus, being a member of the mini gets us a free membership in an exchange company, and with greater trade power than we had as individual members.

We occasionally use an exchange company, when we need to fill out a vacation of when we have expiring mini-points that we need to burn.
We are new to TUG and timesharing. What is a mini-system?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Mini-systems are the likes of Wyndham, Marriott, DRI, HGVC, etc. They have internal exchange system, usually using points, where you can stay at other resorts within their system. Some have fees, some do not.

I was listening to youtube and was accidentally signed into my son's google account. Now his friends will think he was listening to girl pop music. oops.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of TUGGERS are making alternative choices. Even I am looking elsewhere for my trades, including renting.
The value of a trade is extremely marginalized. I'm wondering when the economic law of diminishing returns will take effect on RCI.
Or, is it already?

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I see a lot of TUGGERS are making alternative choices. Even I am looking elsewhere for my trades, including renting.
The value of a trade is extremely marginalized. I'm wondering when the economic law of diminishing returns will take effect on RCI.
Or, is it already?

I started wondering this maybe 10 years ago. Apparently RCI has many revenue streams, one of which is membership fee's and exchange fee's. My bet is exchanges aren't necessarily at the top of their list for importance. It would take a major loss of deposits to force a change. With developers providing a ready source of new blood, that's not likely to happen.

Every member of TUG appreciates it's value. Unfortunately TUG members are a very small percentage of timeshare users. Therefore RCI has little to fear as it continues to gouge it's members for more fee's.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is my last year's transactions with RCI all are 7 nights unless noted- we don't always use the full week but try.

RCI points:
upcoming June 2016 mini van rental 8 days from BWI 49256 points plus $25 transaction fee. Best price for dates was $475

upcoming June 2016 Ocean Time 2br (Ocean city, MD) exchanged at exactly 10 months. This is the first week of summer break- picking up son's early on last day and leaving. 34500 points plus $149 exchange fee

April 2016 Katskill Mountain Club (Hunter,NY) 1 br lockoff - this is for a festival my husband attends 27,000 points plus $209 exchange fee plus $59 guest cert (all weeks are in my name only so when DH travels without me we have to buy GC). He only used Fri-Mon We can't get an exchange next year. He is paying $495 for 3 nights in a studio with mini fridge and microwave only.

January 2016- House of Summer Bay 3 BR (Orlando) LM 7500 points plus $209 exchange plus $59 guest certificate

other fees I buy multi year memberships so my annual cost is approx. $105 per year. I do have platinum so that runs about $65

Total $880 in fees plus 118,256 in points

RCI weeks:

Upcoming July - 3 two bedroom units at Regal Vistas in Massanutten- 2 are for me to put together to make a 4 br lock off and 1 is for a guest.
These are Vacation Village internal exchanges and each have an exchange fee of $139 *3= $417- $40 promotional exchange credit=$377 plus one guest certificate $69 (I think they went up)
The tpu's were 18, 24, and 22

Upcoming June- Boardwalk One studio (Ocean City) same as my other week for my mother. I am checking in to save on the guest cert. $209 exchange fee plus 26 tpus.

April 2016 Beachwoods (kitty hawk, NC) 2br- Week before Easter only used 4 nights it was a stopover on the way to Hilton Head (which was a II exchange) $209 plus 22 tpu's

Sept 2015 Summit at Massanutten 4br $139 internal exchange fee 9tpu's I get a free tpu deposit if I pay my Mf early. It has a short shelf life so rather than paying to combine if I don't need a combine I just use it and get a nice fall getaway for the $139 exchange fee.

RCI weeks membership paid for with points membership

$934 in exchange fees and guest cert plus 112 in tpu's. I didn't do an combo fees this year but will need to do two at the end of this year. I keep my VV points separate from my non VV points.

So total RCI fees for the year $1814 plus $2700 in MF 9 weeks of vacation plus 8 days of mini van rental. It averages out to about $450 a week and each one of those would have cost that or more and some quite bit more so I think it is worth it.

None of the travel was particularly exotic this year but some years are like that.

Last edited:

LynnW

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just booked at week in Florida for our daughter and son-in-law. Because we have to pay in Canadian dollars the cost was $303 exchange fee and $95 guest certificate. This is really getting crazy! I should have hung in for a few weeks to see if SFX came up with something but that's the only week they could go. :mad:

Lynn